Menu

How does one quit therapy?

popmom

I've never been in this position before. I've been seeing this therapist for a year and a half. She's been invaluable in my healing process, but I think I'm in a good place right now. It's expensive-- we have kids in college, major home repairs to do, one of my dds just got engaged, etc. Dh and I are a bit stressed about paying for all of this. This isn't the only cut back we are making--it's one of several. 

It feels like a break up. It seems inappropriate to just cancel all my standing appointments with no explanation, so how should I handle this?

Edited by popmom
typo

There’s a duality that may be important to acknowledge: you feel you are in a healthy place right now to take a step back in regular therapy sessions AND you have other financial priorities that have bubbled up - thanks to your growth and development strides, you need to prioritize putting dollars to those things - for right now, but maybe not forever.

For me personally, I would keep my next standing appointment and would use it for a close out and strategy session: what are things you can do for self care during times of stress / happy stress time such as DD’s engagement, etc. What things should you look out for / unhealthy patterns you don’t want to fall back into, etc.  If you have a way of emailing her ahead of the session, I would email what you have shared here and how you would like to use the time for your next appointment / last appointment in this way.  That way, you both have time to process “the plan”.

• Like 16

Go to your next appointment and explain that this will be your last session. If you email in advance to give them a heads up, there may be a little termination ritual and/or paperwork to sign. I’m sure they would love the opportunity to celebrate your healing journey with you. Therapists are broken up with all the time. Thick skinned bunch. 🙂

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

I mean, the last time I quit a therapist I just flat-out ghosted him. But that's probably because I actually was not, in fact, in a good place at the time.

I have done that once myself. I wasn't in a good place, and the therapist was less than helpful.

I would second just what you said - send an email beforehand and keep your last appointment. It's good to have some closure and it will feel good to take a moment and acknowledge all that you have done together.

Not to mention, leaving in a good way like that makes it more likely the therapist will take you back again later if ever needed, and getting in to a good therapist isn't something to take for granted nowadays. 

• Like 2

When I quit mine, I just told her in the final session. She said she could see it coming, we'd had less and less to discuss. Maybe I should have given more notice but she always had a wait list so I don't think I cost her anything. 

I just quit one of my daughter's therapists on Friday. It was a specialized kind of therapy, and the therapist is pregnant and due soon. We decided to pursue a different kind of therapy that will probably be more beneficial at the moment, so we didn't see the point in keeping the final few appointments before the therapist's baby came. She seemed to understand-and maybe was even a bit relieved because we were her last appointment on Friday night. I remember being that pregnant and would not have been wanting to work until 7pm in the dark of winter. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 10:35 PM, footballmom said:

There’s a duality that may be important to acknowledge: you feel you are in a healthy place right now to take a step back in regular therapy sessions AND you have other financial priorities that have bubbled up - thanks to your growth and development strides, you need to prioritize putting dollars to those things - for right now, but maybe not forever.

For me personally, I would keep my next standing appointment and would use it for a close out and strategy session: what are things you can do for self care during times of stress / happy stress time such as DD’s engagement, etc. What things should you look out for / unhealthy patterns you don’t want to fall back into, etc.  If you have a way of emailing her ahead of the session, I would email what you have shared here and how you would like to use the time for your next appointment / last appointment in this way.  That way, you both have time to process “the plan”.

I think this is perfect. 

• Like 1