Menu

Well-trained bodies - December

Laura Corin

I'm sleeping a lot better this week - fingers crossed that it continues.  I did dream that I was organising the queen's funeral though.

Today - I'm at the office, so I'll go for a brisk walk at lunchtime.  I'll be taking the bus home after work, so that may be all the exercise I have time for.

I'm all set for a healthier eating re-start too: red cabbage, mooli and chickpea curried soup for lunch, home-made yoghurt and no-sugar stewed apple for snack, and then whatever fish looks good from the fishmonger van for supper.  It's very cold by local standards at the moment - minus 8 degrees C on our street at 8am - so the idea of fishermen being out on the sea catching fish for my supper is quite horrifying, but that's their livelihood.  Our milk bottles were frozen on the doorstep (having been delivered at around 3am) - I have a bottle of oat milk defrosting on my office desk so I can have a cup of tea later.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm sleeping a lot better this week - fingers crossed that it continues.  I did dream that I was organising the queen's funeral though.

Today - I'm at the office, so I'll go for a brisk walk at lunchtime.  I'll be taking the bus home after work, so that may be all the exercise I have time for.

I'm all set for a healthier eating re-start too: red cabbage, mooli and chickpea curried soup for lunch, home-made yoghurt and no-sugar stewed apple for snack, and then whatever fish looks good from the fishmonger van for supper.  It's very cold by local standards at the moment - minus 8 degrees C on our street at 8am - so the idea of fishermen being out on the sea catching fish for my supper is quite horrifying, but that's their livelihood.  Our milk bottles were frozen on the doorstep (having been delivered at around 3am) - I have a bottle of oat milk defrosting on my office desk so I can have a cup of tea later.

Fingers crossed for you too. Food sounds yummy. Mine has been hit or miss too. Breakfast has been good, dinners ok. We eat dinner together so I cater them towards everyone's taste. So, it is not as many veggies as I'd like but homemade. Mostly it is my lunches and snacks that have been lacking. I've been grabbing leftovers where I can for the most part and I need to get back to batch cooking on the weekend with lots of veggies. 

I felt better yesterday as the evening went and feel okish this morning. We'll see how the day goes. I think it best to take it easy another day. I can't remember when I last coughed and my chest feels fine. So, I'm hoping that was the worst of it and I'm nearly done with it (I surely don't want to jump back into things and end up feeling bad again). The dr just diagnosed dd with a sinus infection. She's still feeling rather blah. I'm hoping it's not too bad for her.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

@Jenny in Florida  I hope the surgery goes well.

Thanks for the good thoughts, Unfortunately, once the vet got a better look at the growth, she decided it was more complicated than she felt comfortable dealing with. She took a biopsy, but then closed up and referred us to a more experienced surgeon. Consequently, my poor Lulu is now uncomfortable and wearing a cone but will still have to face surgery again in just a few weeks. 

• Sad 6

I really waffled about going out for a walk yesterday evening. The poor pup was so miserable when she got home from the vet that I just felt like I should hang out with her. But once she settled down to snoring on the couch, I did venture out and log my remaining steps.

Lulu is not supposed to go out for walks for a few days, so I was solo again this morning (about 4.5K). She then joined me on the floor while I did about 25 minutes of strength and stretching (and dog cuddling). 

My son and his girlfriend are supposed to come over this evening to help us decorate our Christmas tree, meaning all bets are off in terms of scheduling a second walk. I'll do what I can.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 401.3 of 550K
Walking Streak: 60

• Like 5

I seem to do nothing but whinge recently.  But really I thought I was due a peaceful December. However .... my department is merging with another one and the coming nine months will be taken up with external facilitators redesigning our lives. This is not the slide towards retirement that I was hoping for.

Anyway  - I'll be in the office again tomorrow,  so another brisk lunchtime walk.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I seem to do nothing but whinge recently.  But really I thought I was due a peaceful December. However .... my department is merging with another one and the coming nine months will be taken up with external facilitators redesigning our lives. This is not the slide towards retirement that I was hoping for.

Anyway  - I'll be in the office again tomorrow,  so another brisk lunchtime walk.

As soon as you said “external facilitators” I cringed. What a royal pain. I’m so sorry. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Outdoors was beautiful and brisk with sunshine all day! (We have to appreciate what little we get this time of year.) Walked just short of 1.7 mi in 30 min. Even put in  a 5-minute burst of trying to go extra fast, as directed by the exercise folks at the cancer center.

• Like 7

Monday was not a formal exercise day. I did have to run some errands and got steps but I don’t think I did a morning walk (can’t quite recall). Monday I ate out and soon felt kinda meh. I really don’t do so well with eating out these days. 

Tuesday I did a morning walk and evening HIIT along with some dancing/steps indoors. I’ve now tried every lesson on the dvd set. Just need to repeat a few more weeks to complete the HIIT series. 

I ordered new resistance bands that arrived. I’ll need to start using those. 

Tuesday I had court with my ex landlord. He won because I said “ok” in an old text about the non refundable deposit. So apparently the law (all deposits are refundable minus damages) does not trump that. The judge was an ass to me. 

I have a dr appt this afternoon (precautionary sti panel for peace of mind) and I’m still catching up on my final CEUs. I get sleepy every time I watch the videos! I have to force myself to focus. I’ve also scheduled an HPV vax per a friend’s recommendation, but that was 4 phone calls and a cancellation at Walgreens to get headway. WAGS said my ins didn’t cover it if done at a pharmacy. $290 per dose (3 doses)!!! I’m going to the health dept now on Thursday. My ob/gyn and primary dr do not carry it. Super annoying. 

Sorta annoyed my weight isn’t at 139 yet. It was hovering there a few days ago but eating out and not enough cardio kinda curtailed that. I’ll get there, though. 

• Like 6

So, I actually did get out for a second walk yesterday evening after our company left. I garnered some steps just walking around in the kitchen baking cookies to pack into tins as gifts for my husband's gaming buddies when they come over tomorrow night, but I still needed about 3K to finish off for the day. Since the dog is on restricted activity until she goes back to the vet next week to get her sutures removed and I make much better time walking alone, I got my remaining steps and was back home with enough time to watch an episode of one of the holiday baking competitions we're following before conking out. 

I was scheduled for a volunteer shift at one of my favorite local nonprofits this morning and didn't leave myself quite enough time to get through the full morning routine before I left. I cut the walk a little short (3.5K) and did only a 20-minute upper body weights video before rushing out the door. Fortunately, I ended up on my feet and moving quite a bit while I was onsite, so I'm well over half my steps for the day already.

I now have to actually pay attention to work for a few hours, after which I'll walk and/or stationary bike at some point.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 408.1 of 550K
Walking Streak: 61

• Like 7

I managed to get an accidental full body strength training workout in this morning, lol. I was in the basement futzing around and figured I’d do one thing. Then why not another? Then why not supersets instead of just sitting there? Eventually, it became a decent session!

No walks because I got a root canal after and then took a nap!

If anyone has a great YoiTube yoga recommendation for someone who is restarting and the very bottom, I’d love to hear it!  
We also have access to Apple workouts, but I don’t know how to use that yet.

• Like 8

@Jenny in Florida I am so sorry about your pup.  Sending some good thoughts to Lulu.

Got some walking in on Monday.  The trails I was on were a bit of snow and they are up and down hill so a bit hard to walk on.  

Supposed to start snowing in a bit all night.  I realized poles or the spikes would be helpful for this kind of thing. hmm

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Today's workout consisted of clearing the dining room. It was a genuine workout. A friend was coming for dinner, and I put all the gifts and wrapping in the dining room. But we needed the dining room for dinner, plus my friend's kids are young and inquisitive. I had absolutely no time and there were so many boxes. I ran those stairs a zillion times, plus the lightning-cleaning throughout the house. It's not weightlifting, but I think it counts. 😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I managed to get an accidental full body strength training workout in this morning, lol. I was in the basement futzing around and figured I’d do one thing. Then why not another? Then why not supersets instead of just sitting there? Eventually, it became a decent session!

If anyone has a great YoiTube yoga recommendation for someone who is restarting and the very bottom, I’d love to hear it!  

Yoga with Adriene is a decent place to start. I think her channel has different categories listed, but I haven’t been there for a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm getting in 25-30 min on the treadmill each morning this week (because dh is still sleeping in another room, still feeling good, really hoping he has escaped Covid this time). This is just an incredibly busy week trying to test and wrap up units in both classes I teach and do an off-site meeting (prep for sub) and get Christmas letters out and get ready to leave town tomorrow. Can't wait for break, but even next week should be a lot calmer despite having to work Mon-Thurs.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

This is one of the teachers with whom I take class in person. I did her YouTube videos before I worked up the courage to try any in-person classes.

I have found that even most of the "beginning" videos online were too much for me at first, but Dana's workouts are very gentle, and she's really great at giving options and modifications.

I don't know if she's still doing it, but for a while she was also offering live, online classes one evening a week. If you like her style, you could try that, too. 

• Like 6

I've been feeling lately like I'm just running out of steam both physically and emotionally. I hit a breaking point with work this week, when in the middle of a meeting I suddenly realized I really don't want to be doing this work for this company anymore. (I got through the meeting, pulled myself together and have been continuing to function, but I am getting more serious about looking for an alternative.) 

Anyway, the last couple of days, everything activity-ish feels like a trudge.

I walked last night, just over 4K, to finish off steps. (I tried to get out early so I could be done and in my PJs and settled on the couch petting the dog and watching brainless holiday shows . . . but my daughter called.)

I walked a little less this morning than I have been aiming at, just slightly over 4K, then did a 20-minute Tabata upper body video

I had sudden inspiration last night while walking about some small, simple gifts I could make for assorted family members (one of the first inklings of interest in crafting I have felt in at least a couple of years), so the plan is to go out tonight and brave Joann's to collect supplies. Walking the shopping center will get me some steps, and then I will finish off with a walk and/or stationary bike session (the weather is sounding not great) before the end of the day.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 416.2 of 550K
Walking Streak: 62

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 7

Quick check-in-- I planned to restart activity yesterday but the very crappy sleep was just too much.

Today I got in 30 min of yoga-- Day 1 of Travis Eliot's YouTube program.

This was fairly gentle but I know from past workouts of his they can get quite challenging. He has a 30 day program that I'm going to attempt. Every 3 -4 days is a slower yin yoga and I think all the practices are around 30 minutes. 

Still trying to figure out strength training and am considering going back the gym a couple of nights a week. The pool also has a small workout room. I have to have a membership for dd so I'm already paying for it. Maybe that will work better for my schedule right now while I focus on some yoga in the am? I'd be happy with just doing 2 full body days a week at this point. Still thinking on that....

Heading out for a walk now--- aiming to get outside every day no time or distance planned.

• Like 6

I was mildly annoyed this morning to wake up and find I felt more tired and out of it than yesterday. Oh, well. Acute side effects of chemo should be done with by Jan. 1. Walked outside despite the mix of sleet/snow/icy bits of precipitation because it is still better than the treadmill in the basement. Thirty minutes, 1.5mi.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I've been feeling lately like I'm just running out of steam both physically and emotionally. I hit a breaking point with work this week, when in the middle of a meeting I suddenly realized I really don't want to be doing this work for this company anymore. (I got through the meeting, pulled myself together and have been continuing to function, but I am getting more serious about looking for an alternative.) 

I walked last night, just over 4K, to finish off steps. (I tried to get out early so I could be done and in my PJs and settled on the couch petting the dog and watching brainless holiday shows . . . but my daughter called.)

I walked a little less this morning than I have been aiming at, just slightly over 4K, then did a 20-minute Tabata upper body video

I had sudden inspiration last night while walking about some small, simply gifts I could make for assorted family members (one of the first inklings of interest in crafting I have felt in at least a couple of years), so the plan is to go out tonight and brave Joann's to collect supplies. Walking the shopping center will get me some steps, and then I will finish off with a walk and/or stationary bike session (the weather is sounding not great) before the end of the day.

So sorry you're feeling run down. I wonder if the added burden of your graduate courses are contributing to this? I felt very similar when I was working full-time and doing a grad course. I just piles up and gets exhausting. Hope you can get a nice rest in during the Christmas break!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

I had a great dog walk in the off-leash woods park along with dh. Then I had 2 hrs of ladies doubles tennis. I felt really good and played well. I play tomorrow and Saturday, so I'm sure my energy will be a lot lower by Saturday. 

Awesome, glad to hear you are in the swing of things again.

14 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I haven’t caught up on the thread yet. I was ordered to rest today after that hpv vaccine gave me a bad reaction. They called the paramedics. I’m ok now. But that was not fun. I don’t plan to get the second and third dose anymore. 

BOO. That's crazy. Here's hoping you recover quickly.

17 hours ago, knitgrl said:

I was mildly annoyed this morning to wake up and find I felt more tired and out of it than yesterday. Oh, well. Acute side effects of chemo should be done with by Jan. 1. Walked outside despite the mix of sleet/snow/icy bits of precipitation because it is still better than the treadmill in the basement. Thirty minutes, 1.5mi.

I don't think I've had a chance to welcome you here. WELCOME!!! I'm sorry today was a bad day. Kudos to you for the good attitude.

21 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Gyrotonics today, and I'm pleased with how my abs are tightening and movements are becoming smoother. It's always fun to see progress.

Ya for progress!

21 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

In the office again today, so just a quick walk at lunchtime. 

How are you doing these days?

23 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I had sudden inspiration last night while walking about some small, simply gifts I could make for assorted family members (one of the first inklings of interest in crafting I have felt in at least a couple of years), so the plan is to go out tonight and brave Joann's to collect supplies. Walking the shopping center will get me some steps, and then I will finish off with a walk and/or stationary bike session (the weather is sounding not great) before the end of the day.

I'm sorry work is so blech. I'm thrilled to hear you've got some crafting inspiration.

On 12/15/2022 at 8:29 AM, hjffkj said:

Took a rest day yesterday because my muscles needed it after working with my cousin.  Got back to the gym this morning with dh and did my mile on the treadmill (working on lowering how long the mile takes me) and did chest, back, and abs today. 

I'm glad you had a productive session with your cousin.  It can really help to get some guidance. I've done that before as well. Even watching yourself in the mirror it is hard to tell sometimes if you've got things just right. I remember my first yoga class many years ago. I'd been following books and videos. And the very first class she gently told me one of the most basic moves I was doing wrong--- OOPS. lol

On 12/15/2022 at 7:54 AM, Ali in OR said:

I'm getting in 25-30 min on the treadmill each morning this week (because dh is still sleeping in another room, still feeling good, really hoping he has escaped Covid this time). This is just an incredibly busy week trying to test and wrap up units in both classes I teach and do an off-site meeting (prep for sub) and get Christmas letters out and get ready to leave town tomorrow. Can't wait for break, but even next week should be a lot calmer despite having to work Mon-Thurs.

Enjoy the weekend!

On 12/14/2022 at 9:56 PM, mommyoffive said:

Got some walking in on Monday.  The trails I was on were a bit of snow and they are up and down hill so a bit hard to walk on.  

Supposed to start snowing in a bit all night.  I realized poles or the spikes would be helpful for this kind of thing. hmm

I've never used poles or spikes but then again we dont' often get snow where I live. I think they would be immensely useful for that. I know when I've tried to walk when it's icy and slick it is very difficult.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, Carrie12345 said:

Ack root canal, blech.

As Laura mentioned Yoga with Adrienne works well for many. I also like Yoga with Cassandra, she has lots of 10 min videos that are great starting out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I did go to the gym at the pool last night. I planned to just do a basic workout on my own but ended up putting on one of Carolyn's full body workout videos to follow along. I also got in a short walk outside and did some walking on the treadmill at the gym. (really the gym is just a small room with some weights and odd and end workout equipment. It's not great but I'm already a member and there so it works)

Today:

Day 2: Travis Eliot- Empower (linking the full 30 day - 30 min series- in case there is anyone interested)

This was slightly more intense but still fairly gentle for power yoga-- imo. I really enjoyed it. My body desperately needs it. I'm modifying the chaturangas to my knees due to a previous shoulder injury I'm very cautious with these.

Planning for a short walk later today. 

I might actually meet my minimum goals for this week (min 2 strength and 2 yoga sessions) despite the rough start. 

• Like 6

Thanks for asking @Soror.  I'm doing well overall.  I know it sounds bad to say it, but right now I'm just relieved that Mum died so quickly and without distress.  I'm assuming that grief will hit me at some point, but I'm fine for now. 

My brain was too alive to sleep well last night, thinking about the implications of the departmental merger that was - suddenly and crudely - announced on Tuesday.  We are all so weary from trying to keep courses and students together through the pandemic that we just wanted one normal year.  But no.  I'm thinking hard about possibilities: designing a new role for myself in the smushed structure before one gets imposed on me; or alternatively applying for a job that a friend of mine is retiring out of (interesting role, higher grade and salary).  I had dismissed the latter in favour of a quiet life in my current job, but that quiet life no longer exists, so that gives me more freedom to choose.  Anyway, my brain was buzzing and I found it hard to get to sleep and woke sometime after four.  Before this, since Mum's funeral, I have slept well.

It snowed for about eight hours today before starting to sleet and thaw.  The burn that I walked by at lunchtime was still partially frozen though, which is unusual.  I will be stopping work early, having started early, and hope to at least get some light yoga in.

319959833_482948187317820_5985935197228548688_n.jpg

• Like 5

As planned, I ventured out to the shopping center last night and wandered a bit. Got myself a new pair of casual walking shoes while I was there, which was a nice bonus.

Then I went out for a real walk (a little over 3K) once I got home, which just barely topped off my step goal for the day.

Started today with about 4.3K and 25 minutes of strength and stretching on the patio. The dog and cats would have been very content to hang out longer, but I was already running late sitting down to work.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 423.5 of 550K
Walking Streak: 63

• Like 6

Stayed up last night to knock out my remaining CEUs for the child passenger safety technician renewal. I had gotten a small extension which extended it through today. I finished and got the certificate. They may need to go back and verify it later, but I saved the info. from each CEU. 

This morning my cat woke me up too early and I never rested enough yesterday so I went back to sleep. I feel much better today. If anyone is wondering, my symptoms yesterday were going pale, lips turning white, vomiting, weak, and drop in BP. As soon as I said I don’t feel good the nurse told me to remove the mask (which was mandatory there). I had 2 episodes a few min apart so they insisted on calling the paramedics and hooking me up to an IV. We didn’t know if I’d have a third episode trying to drive home. I only threw up once and I did eat breakfast so it wasn’t related to empty stomach. I told them I may be hypoglycemic but the paramedics couldn’t check my levels because they say the device gets really cold on their truck and then isn’t accurate. I drank water and ate peanut butter crackers in the room and rested a bit. They checked BP 4x during that office visit. The low reading was 84/62. But it was fine before I left. I made jokes with the staff and laughed a lot off. 

To be on the safe side I ate a chocolate covered granola bar when I got home. I really believe I was extra sensitive to whatever is in that vaccine and even though I did a blood panel the day before and that could have affected me, I’m not willing to try again or increase my risk of getting POTS, which I just learned about. But to each their own. I have a wellness visit including pap in Feb.  I requested an hpv test at that visit so I should have some answers then. I have no symptoms. Was just trying to be cautious. 

Fridays are pretty laid back at work so I went ahead and did a late walk and picked up sticks in the yard totaling over 6k steps. I finally felt up to showering so I may or may not want to workout again tonight and get all sweaty again. 

• Like 6

Today I had a medical test that would determine the course of the rest of my treatment, namely, additional surgery, which would have created complications I really didn't want to deal with. The test came back with the results I was hoping for, so instead of walking, I went to town and bought celebratory ice cream, and have been texting my support network because I am so happy about the outcome.

Also, it was slushy, rainy, and in the upper 30's. Not my favorite weather. Should be able to get out on the trail tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Today I had a medical test that would determine the course of the rest of my treatment, namely, additional surgery, which would have created complications I really didn't want to deal with. The test came back with the results I was hoping for, so instead of walking, I went to town and bought celebratory ice cream, and have been texting my support network because I am so happy about the outcome.

Also, it was slushy, rainy, and in the upper 30's. Not my favorite weather. Should be able to get out on the trail tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear about your result!

I managed a full yoga session yesterday.  It wasn't too bad but I really felt how my abdominal muscles had lost tone, when I tried to do Crow.

Today - started slowly. I'll scrape ice off the pavement by our house and our elderly neighbour's house, then salt it. She's just come back home after a pelvic fracture. 

I'll do sun salutations at least, and then maybe a walking YouTube  - I wouldn't be able to pick up speed by walking outside because of the ice.

Apart from that  - housework, Christmas prep.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Today - started slowly. I'll scrape ice off the pavement by our house and our elderly neighbour's house, then salt it. She's just come back home after a pelvic fracture.

Scraping ice can be a workout all in itself! How thoughtful of you to take care of your neighbor's pavement, as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Thanks for asking @Soror.  I'm doing well overall.  I know it sounds bad to say it, but right now I'm just relieved that Mum died so quickly and without distress.  I'm assuming that grief will hit me at some point, but I'm fine for now. 

My brain was too alive to sleep well last night, thinking about the implications of the departmental merger that was - suddenly and crudely - announced on Tuesday.  We are all so weary from trying to keep courses and students together through the pandemic that we just wanted one normal year.  But no.  I'm thinking hard about possibilities: designing a new role for myself in the smushed structure before one gets imposed on me; or alternatively applying for a job that a friend of mine is retiring out of (interesting role, higher grade and salary).  I had dismissed the latter in favour of a quiet life in my current job, but that quiet life no longer exists, so that gives me more freedom to choose.  Anyway, my brain was buzzing and I found it hard to get to sleep and woke sometime after four.  Before this, since Mum's funeral, I have slept well.

It snowed for about eight hours today before starting to sleet and thaw.  The burn that I walked by at lunchtime was still partially frozen though, which is unusual.  I will be stopping work early, having started early, and hope to at least get some light yoga in.

I'm happy to hear you are coping well with Mum's death. I'm sorry about the upheaval at work. I hope that it does end up being a positive for you. 

14 hours ago, knitgrl said:

That is a wonderful reason for celebration. Ya!!!!

-----------------------------------

Day 3 - Empowered Yoga - Power Yoga series- another great practice lots of gentle twists that I needed

25 min dumbbell full body workout

planned for later-- outside walk

• Like 5

Friday night I did HIIT and 54 min on the bike. I need to check weather and see if I’ll venture outside or just do indoor exercise today. 
I have this on/off sore throat. I need to buy some airborne or Emergen C I think. I ordered my Grapefruit Seed Extract (probiotic I take at first signs of illness) but it won’t be here til next week. 
Meeting up with a girlfriend tonight to hear live music. 

• Like 6

I played 2 hr of mixed doubles last night and 2 hr of ladies doubles this morning. That was a lot for my shoulder to handle, but I did ok. I got an inivitation to play more tennis tomorrow morning, which I couldn't refuse, so I'm hoping my shoulder will survive a little more play before a rest day. 😉 

We've had a big dump of snow, which my puppy loves. It's brightened things up. Walking in the woods with the dogs is especially pretty right now with all the snow on the trees. I'll try to snap a photo to share when I walk with the dogs later today.

• Like 6

We went downtown to experience the holiday lights and decor last night, which had the nice side benefit of getting me some steps. I then took the dog out for a ramble after we got home to finish off the day.

One thing I noticed recently is that all of this getting-steps-while-shopping and logging-a-few-steps-while-doing-holiday-outings means that I am falling behind in my seasonal walking challenge. (I don't turn on the tracker for that unless I'm walking intentionally.) So, at some point, I will need to do a few sessions on the stationary bike to catch up a bit, since equivalent amounts of time biking versus walking result in more mileage.

This morning, I once again stayed in bed a little longer than I should have, which squeezed the amount of time I had to walk. I managed only a little over 1K before it was time to head out to yoga class. I got my usual 2K going from car to class and back and took the dog out for another 1.5K when I got home from my volunteer shift, but it still leaves me behind for the day. 

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 429.3 of 550K
Walking Streak: 64

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6

Nice walk with dh in the forest yesterday.

30 min yin yoga for hips this morning-- very lovely

Planned- another longer walk in the woods today.

Just 2 more days of school and then we're doing a 2 week break. It is a perfect time to get back in the groove with my exercise habits which have been all out of sorts since my November break. I'm actually enjoying exercise again. I think I needed a longer break than I thought. With too short of a break I couldn't get enough distance from what I was doing to see what I needed to do. For many months I've known I've needed more stretching and mobility work but have failed to incorporate it into my routine. I had to shift the focus of my exercise to the stretching and make the strength training secondary. 

I've had various aches and pains for months now. I think this is due to --- too much repetition (thus going back to 2-3 days of full body work instead of a 4 day split) and not enough stretching. The PT had told me she thought the back pain came on from tightness in my hips. I've no clue if she's right but I know I've been way too tight. I'm really hoping daily stretching will get my body moving better WITHOUT pain.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Soror said:

The PT had told me she thought the back pain came on from tightness in my hips. I've no clue if she's right but I know I've been way too tight. I'm really hoping daily stretching will get my body moving better WITHOUT pain.

My tight hamstring is a symptom of a back issue - it goes away if I do Sphinx Pose every day. These things are weirdly unknowable.

Talking of backs - mine is not great after chipping away at the ice on the pavement yesterday.

Today I took a walk up the icy valley. In a minute I'll do my sun salutations  - I won't do more until my back feels better, in a couple of days. Apart from that,  just hoovering,  sweeping and mopping.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Checking in.   Hoping everyone is doing well.

Weird shoulder issue passed thankfully.  Got in a few weight workouts and a good kettle bell day.  I Plan on ending the year strong lifting heavy, also hoping to counter all the holiday treats I plan to enjoy these never couple of weeks.

• Like 6

Took my walk yesterday, but did not post because I needed to get ready for dd's classical guitar recital - 30min, 1.5mi.

Today, my goal was just to get out there. Also, I learned that I need to be better dressed when it's in the 20's and breezy. Because even when moving, dang, it is cold. A little less than 30min, 1.3mi.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1