Menu

Well-trained bodies - December

Laura Corin

Quiet day today.  I just ran some errands on foot at lunchtime.  I walked back from the library with ten hardback books and will be taking the bus home with them later - that's the extent of the exercise.  I had been feeling a bit flu-y recently and suspecting that recent stress and lack of sleep was getting in the way of full Covid recovery.  So I want to take it very easy for a bit.  Much as I would really like to be doing more.

Chilly with snow flurries this morning.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

Quiet day today.  I just ran some errands on foot at lunchtime.  I walked back from the library with ten hardback books and will be taking the bus home with them later - that's the extent of the exercise.  I had been feeling a bit flu-y recently and suspecting that recent stress and lack of sleep was getting in the way of full Covid recovery.  So I want to take it very easy for a bit.  Much as I would really like to be doing more.

Chilly with snow flurries this morning.

Taking it low and slow makes sense both post-Covid and also post-huge-emotional-event. Rhythms are a good thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

May I join?   I've been focusing on getting moving more since Sept but it has been so sporadic up until Dec. So far this month, I've been to the gym 5 times this month and am trying to focus on strength training and decreasing how long it take to walk a mile on the treadmill. No running for me, it would be terrible on my joints because of my weight.

I've found a 12 week dumbbell routine that I'm going to start tomorrow for more consistency.  It is 5 days a week which is completely doable.

My goals are to burn fat while maintaining muscle so along with the workout I'm focusing on a slight calorie deficit with enough protein for my muscles

Of course you can join! So happy to "see" you here. You're off to a solid start. Every time you go to the gym it becomes easier to go the next time.

I don't run out in the real world because all that jolting would be misery on my joints due to various issues. I get it. For a long time I focused primarily on the recumbent bike because I could read a book easily while pedaling. I did eventually find that I like the smoothness of running on the elliptical, so I've gradually built time there. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Of course you can join! So happy to "see" you here. You're off to a solid start. Every time you go to the gym it becomes easier to go the next time.

I don't run out in the real world because all that jolting would be misery on my joints due to various issues. I get it. For a long time I focused primarily on the recumbent bike because I could read a book easily while pedaling. I did eventually find that I like the smoothness of running on the elliptical, so I've gradually built time there. 

Thank you.  Dh has started going with me and that is making it easier to get out the door everyday because we're both encouraging each other.  November was more difficult because we were also working on waking up at 6am to go everyday and we aren't morning people.  But we've reach the point where 95% of the time it is easy to get out of bed at 6.  

Right now I'm focusing on the treadmill  on varying inclines because dh and I have a trip to Puerto Rico in Jan and we'll be hiking in the rain forest so I want to prepare for that.

• Like 7

Thursday no formal exercise but lot of movement. Got to 10k steps. 

A super helpful CPST instructor did FaceTime with me so I could check off 3 car seat installations (borrowed one car seat from neighbor). She linked me to more videos for CEUs so I’ll try to use those vs pages of reading. I also put in a request for an extension and got a few extra days. Looks like I’ll be able to recertify! 

• Like 5

I haven’t done any formal exercise so far this week, but I have felt the burn a few times, lol.

I got my smith/cable rack delivered, and put it together almost entirely by myself! I needed dd for a couple of minutes to hold upper bars while I connected them. And it took me 5 days, with one day off in there to mentally recover.

This thing is a nice machine for the price I paid, but the instructions were utter poop. I had to backtrack multiple times and basically figure things out for myself. 
As a self-declared IKEA pro, I wanted to throttle whoever wrote this stupid booklet. The Swedes are smart to not even try to use words!

F02C10E9-987B-4B88-B656-A07A1766FDF3.jpeg

• Like 7

@Carrie12345 nice equipment! I'm sure that was a total PITA to put together.

@Laura Corin I'm glad to hear you are taking some easy days but sad you need them. The covid recovery plus the mountain of stress has to be hard on you.

@heartlikealion ya for getting some help to get some stuff done

@hjffkjWelcome! This is a place for everyone no matter their goals. It always annoys me when running is presented as the be all end all to fitness.There are lots of ways to exercise and be fit that don't include running. 

@wintermom slumps are terrible. WE've been in similar spots. I'm glad you're getting out of yours.

@Harriet Vane ya for gyrotonics!

@mommyoffive I'm happy you're back to your walking

@Jenny in Florida how did the studying go are you ready for your test?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Let's see--

Fri- today's plan light yoga

Thurs- 25 ish minutes CG full body dumbbell strength training

40ish min pickleball (I couldn't get there until late and then they closed it early- we've got to find a different spot to play)

30ish min indoor walk

Wed-- nada-- was feeling tired and icky

Tues- Shoulder and back dumbbell strength training- 25 ish 

Mon-- nothing but work around the house

I'm still working on getting back into the routine. I had 2 nights of good sleep after my medication change and then it was back to bad again. It doesn't help that I'm now in the hormonal time that is already rough on my sleep. The last 2 nights I took Nyquil and slept all night. I felt kind of icky anyway but couldn't properly tell how much was just the fact that I couldn't sleep. This is not a long term solution but I just don't know what to do. 

I had just said last week that I was going to do CG's advent calendar but after half a week in have decided against it. It's been a perpetual fight for me to get in the time I need for stretching. Ideally I should have plenty of time to do that when I'm just doing 25-30 min strength workouts but it is not happening. My focus is elsewhere right now so I need to reconfigure. There are different seasons. Usually I exercise more in winter but this year I've been knee deep in house projects inside and out and don't have as much focus to put towards it. 

So new plans we're going to try out---- I'm not putting any time goals on these. My goal is just to do it. I need to get back in schedule which has been wonky the last month. I let myself get burned out. I didn't feel well. I couldn't sleep and I was busy with lots of other things. I need to find the enjoyment in it again.

2-3x week full body strength-- might do a video or I might do a short routine on my own

2-3x week yoga/stretching

Pickleball- hoping to catch at least once a week. It has only been 1-2x a week with the weather change as we don't have a good indoor location so matching when they do meet with when I'm available is trickier. 

Walking- I want to set a goal here but am hesitant. I'll revisit it in the next week or two after I watch to see how my planned changes are going.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Soror said:

So new plans we're going to try out---- I'm not putting any time goals on these. My goal is just to do it.

I love this! It's pretty much what I've ended up doing. Just get something done - the amount isn't important. 

Hope your pickleball group finds an indoor facility to access. Got to keep those skills going!! 😉 

• Like 3

I'm very pleased with my progress in recovery from tennis elbow/shoulder. It's such a relief to be painfree! I've been doing well getting in my stretches and strength exercises specific to my over-use injury, and I'm frankly surprised at how quickly an aging body like mine can adapt. 😅

I'll start another three-day stretch of tennis matches tomorrow. My body is feeling good, and I'm excited to test out my new racquet! For today, there's sunshine, a dog walk this afternoon, and I've already completed my strength/stretch work. ☺️

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Soror said:

@Jenny in Florida how did the studying go are you ready for your test?

Oh, that  . . . didn't go well. 

My daughter (whom I've mentioned is not in a great place emotionally) called in the midafternoon, and I ended up talking to her on and off (mostly on) until nearly 7:00. By that time, I was emotionally and mentally pretty drained and not in good shape to pay a lot of attention to reviewing research methods. 

The exam is open book, open notes, etc., so I took a quick walk to clear my head (which didn't get me close to my daily step goal) and then spent until bedtime just preparing materials. Lots of post-it notes labelling significant sections of the text, printed copies of some lecture content and my notes so I don't have to go fumbling around online during the test, etc. I did attend the professor's exam review session a couple of weeks ago, so I have some insight into what will be on the test. I'll have to hope I can put my fingers on references for anything I don't immediately recall.

Thanks for asking!

• Like 7

@hjffkj and @Harriet Vane - I also can't/don't run, at least not for more than a few steps at a time. I have arthritis in both knees and neuropathy in my feet and lower legs. Sometimes, especially when I'm participating in some kind of formal race-type event, I get wistful watching the runners take off, but it's just not the right activity for me. Walking is what I can do, but I do a lot of it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As I mentioned earlier, I did not meet my step goal yesterday. I went for a second walk in the evening, but had to cut it short to get home and do as much exam prep as I could before my eyes glazed over. I came in just under 12,000 steps for the day.

Started today with a 4.2K walk with the dog, then about 30 minutes of strength and stretching on the patio (also accompanied/supervised by the dog). 

We had some fog this morning, which made for pretty views.

The deadline for my exam is midnight tonight, so that has to take priority over any exercise this evening. My plan is to try to disengage from work as early as I can, take a quick walk to clear my brain, grab a snack and take the stupid test. Once that's over, I may take another walk, either to celebrate or (more likely, given how little time and effort I have put into studying) to work off my irritation and disappointment.

Either way, once this test is done, the semester will be over for me.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 371.5 of 550K
Walking Streak: 56

IMG_20221209_072637458.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@hjffkj and @Harriet Vane - I also can't/don't run, at least not for more than a few steps at a time. I have arthritis in both knees and neuropathy in my feet and lower legs. Sometimes, especially when I'm participating in some kind of formal race-type event, I get wistful watching the runners take off, but it's just not the right activity for me. Walking is what I can do, but I do a lot of it. 

I had to give up on running due to arthritis.  It made me sad, but walking is fine, hiking is better. 

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

As I mentioned earlier, I did not meet my step goal yesterday. I went for a second walk in the evening, but had to cut it short to get home and do as much exam prep as I could before my eyes glazed over. I came in just under 12,000 steps for the day.

Started today with a 4.2K walk with the dog, then about 30 minutes of strength and stretching on the patio (also accompanied/supervised by the dog). 

We had some fog this morning, which made for pretty views.

The deadline for my exam is midnight tonight, so that has to take priority over any exercise this evening. My plan is to try to disengage from work as early as I can, take a quick walk to clear my brain, grab a snack and take the stupid test. Once that's over, I may take another walk, either to celebrate or (more likely, given how little time and effort I have put into studying) to work off my irritation and disappointment.

Either way, once this test is done, the semester will be over for me.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 371.5 of 550K
Walking Streak: 56

IMG_20221209_072637458.jpg

Best wishes for the test @Jenny in Florida.

@Soror I'm sorry that sleep is so elusive.

----- 

I walked with a friend at lunchtime, helping her wrangle one of her bonus dogs. That's it for the day. I'm still waking at night but managing to get back to sleep. 

• Like 6

@Soror  I am sorry sleep is so hard right now.  That really effects your day.

@Jenny in Florida Love your warm looking picture.

I got in some walking in yesterday.  I do not walk as much in the cold vs nice weather.  Today it is snowing.  I hate the cold and also I fear falling walking and breaking something.  I don't have time for that.

• Like 6

Got a walk in at lunch. Need to handle some things outside the home then will do HIIT this evening and/or bike.

If anyone is interested, I did a recent update on some products on my YouTube channel. I totally forgot to mention my pedometer. But I got new resistance bands so maybe a future video with those items. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu1BrbodNY

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 6

Got my workout in today. It was leg and ab day and I did pretty well. Gotta learn how to do deadlifts properly. I worked on it without weights and it felt ok.  Thinking about setting up a session with my cousin who is a personal trainer to have him teach me proper form on certain things.

Walked on the treadmill at an incline of 10 afterwards waiting for dh and ds to finish their workout.

• Like 7

Did the treadmill yesterday morning. Christmas tree yoga with the fur kids today.

I have a busy weekend of schoolwork ahead. I miss school this coming Wednesday for a district Algebra 1 meeting and then I travel to CA next weekend, so I just need to get a lot of stuff ready--write tests and reviews for both Alg 1 and Alg 2 plus Monday's lessons. And I have quizzes to grade which I'll do first so I can see what we need to review more. I'll bring my kids back with me from CA, so I need to get their gifts wrapped too. And a little house cleaning.

• Like 7

Had my second-to-last chemo treatment on Wednesday, so today I am dealing with fatigue and bone pain. Since it wasn't super cold outside and it wasn't raining so I went out for a 30 minute walk, covering 1.3 miles. Not very speedy, but at this point I am more concerned about getting out and moving than about how fast I am going.

• Like 8

Took a quick walk last night to clear my head, then took my exam (did well enough to keep my A for the course) and then went out for another, slightly longer walk to log my remaining steps for the day.

I got to go back to yoga at the lake for the first time in a few weeks, so I did the usual couple of kilometers around the neighborhood with the dog, then logged another 2K going from parking lot to lake and back for yoga class. 

This evening, my husband and I walked the Jingle Jolly Jog 5K, which was nice. It's an evening event, and the route winds through a lovely neighborhood in which the residents take their holiday decor very seriously. Some folks hang out on their front porches and cheer on the runners/walkers. I came in just a few seconds off my personal best per-kilometer pace, so I feel good about that.

We rode the shuttle from the parking lot to the race starting line, but ended up walking back. Then I finished up the day with another 1.5K with the dog once we got home. So, all told, a good day for steps.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 382.7 of 550K
Walking Streak: 57

• Like 8

@knitgrl that's serious dedication!

@hjffkj congratulations on the good aches!

@Ali in OR that sounds like a lot.

@heartlikealion it's odd isn't it? Enjoying eating out but also really not.

@wintermom I'm glad that you are back to tennis.  My poor tennis-playing brother just tested positive for Covid again, just as he was starting to get back to fitness.  He just can't find any luck.  I'm about to go and test myself, as he was up here this week.

@Harriet Vane I hope you are feeling better.  I'm due for my jab this evening, assuming I don't test positive.

@mommyoffive I'm with you on fear of falling - I sat down hard when walking on ice ten years ago and although I didn't break anything, it took months to feel right again.

Well done, @Jenny in Florida!  My final essay mark isn't due to come out until 23 December, so I'm trying not to think about it.  I'm ridiculously competitive about English modules, and I think I'm neck-and-neck with another student to get the module prize.  Next semester I'm taking a medieval history module, so I have a couple of books to start reading over Christmas.

----------------

Yesterday was peaceful: I picked up the Christmas tree and ran errands on foot, then came home and made a Christmas wreath for the door from cuttings from my garden.  My wreaths are always unconventional, but I enjoy them.  Then a dusk walk up a track that I probably won't be able to take again for the rest of the winter: there's a stream that trickles down it and it will soon be a sheet of ice.  We've been having light snow falls over night for the past few days and freezes to go with.

This morning, I've tried to finish my online Christmas shopping - there are postal strikes over the coming weeks, so things will be chaotic.  I'm sitting watching around twenty argumentative rooks, blackbirds and thrushes - mistle thrush, song thrush and fieldfare - feasting on the fallen apples that I didn't get around to cleaning up in the garden.  There are also still some apples trapped in the branches, so they have a larder for some weeks, I hope.  I will venture out with the dog, wearing the spikes that @wintermom recommended last year or the year before, because it's pretty slippery.  Then I might do a walking video at home.  Apart from that - Christmas cards and indoor Christmas lights today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

@hjffkj congratulations on the good aches!

@Ali in OR that sounds like a lot.

@heartlikealion it's odd isn't it? Enjoying eating out but also really not.

@wintermom I'm glad that you are back to tennis.  My poor tennis-playing brother just tested positive for Covid again, just as he was starting to get back to fitness.  He just can't find any luck.  I'm about to go and test myself, as he was up here this week.

@Harriet Vane I hope you are feeling better.  I'm due for my jab this evening, assuming I don't test positive.

@mommyoffive I'm with you on fear of falling - I sat down hard when walking on ice ten years ago and although I didn't break anything, it took months to feel right again.

Well done, @Jenny in Florida!  My final essay mark isn't due to come out until 23 December, so I'm trying not to think about it.  I'm ridiculously competitive about English modules, and I think I'm neck-and-neck with another student to get the module prize.  Next semester I'm taking a medieval history module, so I have a couple of books to start reading over Christmas.

----------------

Yesterday was peaceful: I picked up the Christmas tree and ran errands on foot, then came home and made a Christmas wreath for the door from cuttings from my garden.  My wreaths are always unconventional, but I enjoy them.  Then a dusk walk up a track that I probably won't be able to take again for the rest of the winter: there's a stream that trickles down it and it will soon be a sheet of ice.  We've been having light snow falls over night for the past few days and freezes to go with.

This morning, I've tried to finish my online Christmas shopping - there are postal strikes over the coming weeks, so things will be chaotic.  I'm sitting watching around twenty argumentative rooks, blackbirds and thrushes - mistle thrush, song thrush and fieldfare - feasting on the fallen apples that I didn't get around to cleaning up in the garden.  There are also still some apples trapped in the branches, so they have a larder for some weeks, I hope.  I will venture out with the dog, wearing the spikes that @wintermom recommended last year or the year before, because it's pretty slippery.  Then I might do a walking video at home.  Apart from that - Christmas cards and indoor Christmas lights today.

Spikes on shoes? Is this for the human or dog? I’m interested. Was kinda slick outside on wet ground here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Spikes on shoes? Is this for the human or dog? I’m interested. Was kinda slick outside on wet ground here. 

For me. The dog has claws and is low to the ground. They worked brilliantly this morning on defrosted and refrozen snow. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Slip-Traction-Crampons-Footwear-Fishing/dp/B073JT728B/ref=asc_df_B073JT728B/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309862982580&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12763794732812659004&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046861&hvtargid=pla-605135864120&psc=1

• Like 3

@Laura Corin Your Christmas preparations sound lovely! Good luck on winning the English prize!!  Thanks so much for the update on your brother. I'm so sorry to hear that he's got Covid again. Had he been able to play tennis again before this occurred? 

Tennis yesterday with my new racquet was wonderful!! It's lighter, which makes a lot more difference that I'd imagined. I can hit balls that make it over the net now, which never would have done with my old racquet. My arm has much less pain now, as well. I'm so happy that I made the switch - if only it was that easy to have a brand-new body! 😅

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin Your Christmas preparations sound lovely! Good luck on winning the English prize!!  Thanks so much for the update on your brother. I'm so sorry to hear that he's got Covid again. Had he been able to play tennis again before this occurred? 

Tennis yesterday with my new racquet was wonderful!! It's lighter, which makes a lot more difference that I'd imagined. I can hit balls that make it over the net now, which never would have done with my old racquet. My arm has much less pain now, as well. I'm so happy that I made the switch - if only it was that easy to have a brand-new body! 😅

Thanks for asking. He had been playing, but also starting to get symptoms that made him fear more heart trouble. He is so unlucky.

I'm glad the racquet is good.

• Sad 5

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Cancer is my motivation right now. Exercise increases the efficacy of treatment, helps with fatigue, and speeds up recovery. It's a thing I have control of, whereas there are a number of other things right now I do not.

Fatigue and bone pain are better than yesterday. Today is wet and drizzly, with a dusting of snow on the ground from last night. It was a good opportunity to try out the new hiking boots dh gave me as an early Christmas gift. He is constantly researching outdoor equipment, so they worked well keeping my toes toasty. Completed 1.5mi in 30min.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

Cancer is my motivation right now. Exercise increases the efficacy of treatment, helps with fatigue, and speeds up recovery. It's a thing I have control of, whereas there are a number of other things right now I do not.

Fatigue and bone pain are better than yesterday. Today is wet and drizzly, with a dusting of snow on the ground from last night. It was a good opportunity to try out the new hiking boots dh gave me as an early Christmas gift. He is constantly researching outdoor equipment, so they worked well keeping my toes toasty. Completed 1.5mi in 30min.

I am liking your post because that’s the spirit - control what you can 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Thanks for asking. He had been playing, but also starting to get symptoms that made him fear more heart trouble. He is so unlucky.

I'm glad the racquet is good.

It's great to hear that he's been able to get back playing. I really hope his health improves so he can keep playing. He really needs to better luck really soon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Laura Corin - Congats on the English essay! My work in my classes won't win any prizes, but I'm satisfied with what I accomplished (and pleased the motivation class is over). I'm taking two more classes next semester, but I have a break until the second week of January. I suppose I should order my textbooks, though . . .

Missed posting yesterday, I see, but it wasn't a banner day for exercise, anyway.

I walked with the dog as usual in the morning. I've discovered that, most mornings, if I kind of let her go where she wants, we make better time and can take longer, more pleasant walks. Yesterday, she led me really unerringly to the small dog park, where I have taken her precisely once before. She went right the to gate and waited to be let it. There were no other dogs there, but I let her off leash so she could run around for a few minutes, after which she went back to the gate and waited for me to collect her and walk her home. We were still slow, but it was a nice 4.5K walk. 

And that, unfortunately, was pretty much it for exercise yesterday. I met up with a friend I haven't seen in months for lunch and hanging out, which turned into a most-of-the-day event. By the time we said goodbye and I got back home, I was pretty fully drained. Also, the dog has surgery scheduled for this morning to remove the lump on her rear leg, and I get unreasonably nervous any time a procedure involves general anesthesia (not to mention, in this case, a follow-up biopsy to figure out what the lump actually is). Combine that with the start of another work week looming, and I had no energy to do more than go around the block with the dog and then plant myself on the couch for some TV.

We did get in a solid 4.3K walk this morning before I had to drop the dog at the vet, but all I could manage was about 15 minutes of strength and stretching before I had to get online for work. 

The rest of the day is busy: I'm on call to collect the pup sometime in the early-to-mid afternoon, and I have an appointment with my counselor (online) and one at the hair salon right after work. I have every good intention of getting in another walk or possibly a stationary bike ride, but we'll have to see how Lulu-pup is doing and when I can squeeze in the time.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 392.1 of 550K
Walking Streak: 59

• Like 7

Bah. I'm officially sick here. I felt a little out of sorts last week (hard to distinguish how much was due to wonky sleep) but not actually sick. I guess I  was fighting it off. Just doing my chores feels like more than enough. Dd is feeling icky too. Dh gave her a home covid test and it was negative. I need to figure out how to do it myself and take one too. She's going into the dr today (she's not horribly sick but has to have a dr's note for school and swim). There are so many things going around. I guess it is just as likely to be some random thing. So, I'm taking it easy, again. Sigh. I've just got a small cough infrequently but a little tightness in my chest so I'm trying to keep that dried up so I don't end up with a bunch of gunk in my chest. Mucinex for me although I hate it so.

eta: my home covid test is negative too 

Edited by Soror
  • Sad 7

I've got a mildly scratchy throat and I'm not sure if it's illness or more post-vaccine ickiness or just plain loss of sleep. I've been ploughing towards a work deadline. I've gotten more sleep than usual at this stage, thanks entirely to all the vaccine ache. 

The weather outside is cloudy but unseasonably warmer. I will alternate work sessions with some PT stuff and a walk on the lane before dark. 

• Like 5

Had a great week keeping up with my workout routine then darn it, slept weird on my shoulder the other night.  No weights for a few days so I opted for sprints, ab work and stretching yesterday and today walking, step ups without weights, abductors and Pilate abs work.  This will be rotated through the week to give my shoulder a rest before picking up weights again.

• Like 8

No intentional exercise today, but I got a fair number of steps to and from the bus stops and running errands.  I had my Covid booster yesterday and my arm is a bit sore, so I'm not doing much.

I've put on a fair bit of weight and have been eating unhealthily. That's fine but I'd like to turn the corner before Christmas comes. Today was okay.

• Like 8

I managed to get in a lovely dog walk in the sun and fresh snow. Tennis was pretty rough, though. My arms and legs feel like they are made of lead - so heavy. Three days in a row of tennis are probably just too much. I need to figure out a way to spread them out, but the weekends are the best times for people's availability.

I wish I could just curl up in bed for the rest of the day, but I have to drag my body to ds's concert - and say a public thank you to our guitar teacher who is leaving this year. He's been ds's teacher for 10 years and we're going to miss his so much. This will most likely be ds's last year of lessons, sadly.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

The bone pain is just about gone - yay! Spent 3 hours this afternoon taking the kids Christmas shopping, so I didn't get out for my walk until shortly before sundown. We got another light dusting of snow last night, so it was a lot lighter than it might have been, given the very gray sky above. Clocked in 1.6mi in 30min.

• Like 8

25 min on the treadmill this morning. Dh had a covid exposure on Saturday (meeting with someone who tested positive the next day). I see my 86 yo dad this weekend, so I'm masking this week at school and now masking at home when dh is here and he is sleeping in another room. I hope we can get through Christmas with no illness. Crazy amount of work this week too and I'm just ready to hibernate.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

25 min on the treadmill this morning. Dh had a covid exposure on Saturday (meeting with someone who tested positive the next day). I see my 86 yo dad this weekend, so I'm masking this week at school and now masking at home when dh is here and he is sleeping in another room. I hope we can get through Christmas with no illness. Crazy amount of work this week too and I'm just ready to hibernate.

I hope you are able to enjoy the holidays without Covid! We are self-isolating from now on, because it has been two years since we've celebrated any major holiday with the rest of the family altogether. It's either been Covid, or something else. May you be luckier than us!

• Like 5

On 12/10/2022 at 7:39 PM, Jenny in Florida said:

Took a quick walk last night to clear my head, then took my exam (did well enough to keep my A for the course) and then went out for another, slightly longer walk to log my remaining steps for the day.

I got to go back to yoga at the lake for the first time in a few weeks, so I did the usual couple of kilometers around the neighborhood with the dog, then logged another 2K going from parking lot to lake and back for yoga class. 

This evening, my husband and I walked the Jingle Jolly Jog 5K, which was nice. It's an evening event, and the route winds through a lovely neighborhood in which the residents take their holiday decor very seriously. Some folks hang out on their front porches and cheer on the runners/walkers. I came in just a few seconds off my personal best per-kilometer pace, so I feel good about that.

We rode the shuttle from the parking lot to the race starting line, but ended up walking back. Then I finished up the day with another 1.5K with the dog once we got home. So, all told, a good day for steps.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 382.7 of 550K
Walking Streak: 57

Oh wow, what a fun event.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Sending lots of good thoughts your way.  I hope you and dh don't get sick.   I want everyone to just hibernate for a month.

• Like 5

@Jenny in Florida  I hope the surgery goes well.

@Soror  I am sorry you and your dd are sick.  I hope you both feel better.

@knitgrl  I am glad you are able to get in some exercise.  Seems like a great thing to focus on.

@Laura Corin  I need to get some spikes for our shoes.  A few of us have fallen on ice while taking dogs on walks.   I love that you home make wreaths.  A few of my dd's used to do that and they were always my favorite wreaths. 

• Like 6