Menu

Well-trained bodies - December

Laura Corin

Gyrotonics yesterday. I was so encouraged. I have graduated down to only one support pillow rather than two. My neck is stronger and I can actually hold my head more straight rather than pitched forward-right. Also we have been doing gentle, supported ab work, and yesterday I was able to lift my feet off the floor for a sequence. It was a major step. I really love gyrotonics and I’m so thankful for the progress.

Hit the gym today for a solid weights/core rotation followed by time on the recumbent bike.

• Like 7

Thanks for starting the new month, @Laura Corin  I can't believe that it's already December!! 

The owner of the lab puppy we were watching picked him up yesterday evening, so it's much quieter and calmer now. Dh and I will take the dogs for a run at the park this afternoon, and then we play mixed doubles tennis this evening.

I got my Covid booster yesterday, so I'm going to wait a day or two before adding in 'extra' exercise, like the spin bike. Tennis is 'essential' exercise, so full steam ahead on any and all tennis! ☺️

• Like 7

Thanks Laura!

I did cardio yesterday. It was not a HIIT but I paced myself too. My endurance seems to be better.

I was going to do full body strength training but decided I'll do it tomorrow instead. I did 3 hours of outside work - clearing flower beds and walkways from the leaves and clearing around the shop and to the side.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 7

I neither finished that draft nor got out for another walk last night. I sat at my computer until my eyes were blurry and I was yelling at the cat who kept getting on my desk and then gave up.

Started today with a 4.4K walk and an abbreviated strength and stretching session on the patio. 

At this point, I have no confidence the rest of today will go much better than yesterday. So, we'll just see.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 327.7 of 550K
Walking Streak: 49

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Christmas tree yoga this morning--with a little help from the fur kids. Today I need to catch up on house stuff. Not shown in the picture--folded laundry on the coffee table and sofas and bins of Christmas decorations and the reindeer I still need to wrap with lights. I want to get all the decorating done, and it's not supposed to rain so that includes wrapping two trees in lights. Need to vacuum and clean bathrooms too. And pay the credit card bill.

xmasyoga.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I hope things are going better @Jenny in Florida

Thank you. It's all just a lot this week. 

This paper I'm struggling to write is taking a lot out of me. The class is about motivation in learning (part of an applied learning degree), but the professor has us using ourselves ass the subjects for all of our observation and analysis. It's forcing me to dig into stuff I'd really prefer not to deal with for school. (My counselor has actually straight-up said this class might not be great for my mental health.) I actually checked at one point to see just how badly my grade would suffer if I just didn't do this assignment. Unfortunately, it's about half my grade for the semester. And this course is part of the core sequence and taught by the head of the department and my default advisor. So, I will be extremely relieved to just be done with this.

And I'm starting to plan a trip to NYC right after Christmas to bring home my daughter and a carload of stuff so she can hang out with us and try to recover from the latest bad breakup and figure out next steps. 

And, of course, the holidays are here, with all that usually entails.

On that last point, though, I did clear enough time on my calendar today to go with my husband and the dog to the local holiday parade. It's super low key and local. The downtown is all decorated, and I get to sit in a lawn chair surrounded by kids. This and paws in the park-type events where I can hang out with tons of dogs are kind of my vision of heaven. 

Anyway, I never did get out for a second walk yesterday, so that makes day 2 of not getting near my step goal.

I walked this morning, not quite 4K, and got a few more steps walking to and from the parade site and then a little bit around downtown. I skipped yoga to go to the parade. However, I'm already close to 10,000 steps, and we plan to go out later to another community holiday event that will involve some walking, so today's looking better there, at least. 

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 331.3 of 550K
Walking Streak: 50

IMG_20221203_095728066_HDR.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Thank you. It's all just a lot this week. 

This paper I'm struggling to write is taking a lot out of me. The class is about motivation in learning (part of an applied learning degree), but the professor has us using ourselves ass the subjects for all of our observation and analysis. It's forcing me to dig into stuff I'd really prefer not to deal with for school. (My counselor has actually straight-up said this class might not be great for my mental health.) I actually checked at one point to see just how badly my grade would suffer if I just didn't do this assignment. Unfortunately, it's about half my grade for the semester. And this course is part of the core sequence and taught by the head of the department and my default advisor. So, I will be extremely relieved to just be done with this.

And I'm starting to plan a trip to NYC right after Christmas to bring home my daughter and a carload of stuff so she can hang out with us and try to recover from the latest bad breakup and figure out next steps. 

And, of course, the holidays are here, with all that usually entails.

On that last point, though, I did clear enough time on my calendar today to go with my husband and the dog to the local holiday parade. It's super low key and local. The downtown is all decorated, and I get to sit in a lawn chair surrounded by kids. This and paws in the park-type events where I can hang out with tons of dogs are kind of my vision of heaven. 

Anyway, I never did get out for a second walk yesterday, so that makes day 2 of not getting near my step goal.

I walked this morning, not quite 4K, and got a few more steps walking to and from the parade site and then a little bit around downtown. I skipped yoga to go to the parade. However, I'm already close to 10,000 steps, and we plan to go out later to another community holiday event that will involve some walking, so today's looking better there, at least. 

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 331.3 of 550K
Walking Streak: 50

IMG_20221203_095728066_HDR.jpg

I'm glad exercise today is looking better today. The rest sounds really rough. 

I love your hair.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello all,  Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm checking in for accountability.   I am still sticking with my morning walks and lifting as heavy as I have.  This month I've added in a 30day abs challenge  Which is some of the Pilate ab moves.  Dh got me an early Christmas present of a heavier kettlebell and I'm adding that in when the weather isn't cooperating.  

• Like 8

I'm doing respite care this weekend and had not expected opportunities for exercise. Turns out the kids wanted to walk when I suggested it, and goodness gracious they walked FAST. It was a real push for me! Probably good for all of us, LOL. And I impulsively decided to take them to the zoo tomorrow. I don't know what I was thinking--I need the time to work, and I am not eager to spend hours outside in the cold. I just hope I don't get sick...

• Like 7

I did get both of my final papers submitted yesterday. Already got my grade on the horrible one I was having so much trouble writing and, while I didn't do as well as a person might hope, I will walk away from the class with an A. So, I'm calling that good enough.

One I got them submitted, we went out and wandered a couple of the community holiday events, and by the time we got home I needed only a short walk (about 1K) to log my remaining steps. 

My husband and I did a "fun run" at WDW this morning. It was billed as a 5K, but my tracker says we went only 4K. Either way, it was my best per-kilometer time yet, and it was fun to be at Animal Kingdom before the sun was even up. 

I am now camped out on the patio while my husband naps. When he wakes up, we may be driving to Tampa to meet up with my husband's cousins who are in town on vacation. No clue what the day holds during or after that, but I'm already over 11,000 steps for the day so far. So, another short walk this evening will meet my daily goal.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 334.0 of 550K
Walking Streak: 51

• Like 7

Well done, @Jenny in Florida. You really persevered. 

I have a rough draft of my paper, but what I wrote doesn't support my thesis.  So I need to rewrite with an altered thesis.

I'll try to work on that a bit this afternoon after I finish the dusting.  The cleaner we hired to do a pre-funeral/post-Covid clean unfortunately came down with Covid herself. Daughter is home though,  so between her, Husband and me, it will get done. My next free time for my essay is Wednesday,  but I'll be pretty tired, I think.

Today - walk in the rain with Daughter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just finished the third day of tennis in 3 days, and I'm still standing and feeling pretty good. My arm and shoulder are feeling pretty good now, and my play is definitely improving. My dh also bought me a new tennis racquet for Christmas! I'm excited to try it out.

I'm still doing daily dog walks, but I've not added in strength work yet. I need to get going on this.

• Like 7

Was on the wrong thread the other day 🤦🏻‍♀️

Saturday my aunt & uncle arrived from out of state. I ran around doing chores. I ate heavier food than typical. I rode the bike 50 min while watching a Christmas movie with my aunt. That night I logged 11k steps so that helped offset the meals a bit. 

Sunday dd and I just lounged around the house. I had a FaceTime date scheduled that evening (we’ll meet face-to-face Saturday). I didn’t want to get all sweaty and have to shower before. We talked 3 hours so I never exercised after, either. Plan to exercise this morning. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I have a rough draft of my paper, but what I wrote doesn't support my thesis.  So I need to rewrite with an altered thesis.

I'll try to work on that a bit this afternoon after I finish the dusting.  The cleaner we hired to do a pre-funeral/post-Covid clean unfortunately came down with Covid herself. Daughter is home though,  so between her, Husband and me, it will get done. My next free time for my essay is Wednesday,  but I'll be pretty tired, I think.

I'm praying for the memorial--all the work, the people, the emotions especially. (((Laura)))

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had very little fitful sleep on Saturday night--I was over-caffeinated and babysitting was unexpectedly intense in ways I had not expected. Sunday I took the girls to see the zoo light show, so we walked around in the cold for about three hours. The lights were gorgeous and extensive, though I had not expected the zoo to keep most of the animal exhibits closed and shuttered. When I did a zoo lights show many years ago in Chicago, we could still go in to various animal houses and browse around. After the zoo, I had three hours of driving to get the kids back to their house and then head back home myself. I'm thankful that I slept well last night. Today's plan is vague and unformed--at some point I hope to do a PT rotation and various other as well as hang on the teeter board. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Thinking of you @Laura Corin

@Harriet Vane sorry about the rough weekend.

@wintermom so far so good on the tennis, hopefully it stays that way if you can manage not to overdo it 🙂

@heartlikealion sounds like the "date" went well- hope he is a nice guy for you

@Jenny in Florida congrats on another 5k in the books and a great grade for your class, well done.

------------------------------------------------------

I painted dd3's room this weekend. It was horrible. Dh bought the super cheap paint. I told him cheap paint as I only had so much funds from selling the old bedroom set. Well, he went for the really cheap. It didn't cover well so more work. I've got to finish the touch up today.

I think painting is all I do today except maybe some light yoga. Lifting for shoulders and back was on my calendar but I've tweaked my lower back so that is right out. I've not done anything different or crazy. I mean last weekend was much more strenuous moving the heavy and huge ladders around and I was fine. One never knows with such things. It is not as bad today thankfully but I don't want to potentially aggravate it and go backwards.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Thanks for the encouragement. I have quibbles with the grading, but I'm honestly just happy to see that course in the rearview.

I'm sorry you had another source of stress and irritation in the way of the memorial planning. I hope all went as smoothly as possible on the day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We did go out to Tampa yesterday afternoon to see the cousins, which was lovely. They rent a condo right on the beach for a couple of weeks pretty much every year, but, of course, haven't been here since 2019. We chatted and ate a late lunch and then took a lovely, long walk on the beach. By the time we got home and I took the dog for a neighborhood ramble, I had logged over 20,000 steps for the day.

Walked about 4.5K this morning, then spent about 30 minutes doing strength and stretching on the patio.

I still have a final exam that has to be completed by Friday, and for which I am most definitely not ready, so I need to clear the decks and do some studying. However, I will work in at least one more walk later in the day.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 3341.7 of 550K
Walking Streak: 52

• Like 7

@Ali in OR love your cozy yoga by the tree.  So pretty.

@Jenny in Florida  I was so confused with your picture as I started scrolling down.  I thought you had gone on vacation somewhere cold!  I think I am still asleep this morning. You look so cute with your new dog!

I don't think I have checked in much since I was sick for the first half of November.  I am back to walking when my kids are at things.  But I for sure don't walk as much or enjoy it because of the cold.  😞  I wish I lived somewhere warm like Florida.  I get way less active in the winter.  I am not a winter lover.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

@Jenny in Florida  I was so confused with your picture as I started scrolling down.  I thought you had gone on vacation somewhere cold!  I think I am still asleep this morning. You look so cute with your new dog!

Thanks!

No, we just like to pretend it's winter here.

If it makes you feel any better, living "somewhere warm" means we tend to be less active during the summer when the heat and humidity are oppressive during most of the day.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Thanks!

No, we just like to pretend it's winter here.

If it makes you feel any better, living "somewhere warm" means we tend to be less active during the summer when the heat and humidity are oppressive during most of the day.

We spent over 7 weeks down in Florida last summer and didn't bug us that much except if you wanted to go hiking or something at noon.  We had a pool so we were in that at least 2 times a day.  And got walks in the morning or late evening.  I would trade a hot summer (that normally we have here anyhow) for not a real winter.

• Like 4

Went out and did some shopping with my husband yesterday afternoon, including talking him into leaving the car on one side of the shopping center lot and walking around. Finished up with another 4K-ish around the neighborhood after we got home, which put me just over my daily step goal.

Walked about 4.4K this morning with and without dog accompaniment, then did a 20-minute upper body video.

Yoga tonight, plus some more walking when I can work it in.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 350.1 of 550K
Walking Streak: 53

• Like 6

I had to go to a social/work event yesterday afternoon, while allowed me some steps walking from parking to the venue and back. I went from there straight to yoga and then walked with the dog when I got home to finish off the day.

The dog decided she was very into walking this morning, so although it was slower than it would have been if I had gone solo, we walked about 4.2K together. Apparently, I have logged a distance equal to the length of the Pony Express while doing this series of walking challenges. 

When we got home, I spent about 30 minutes doing strength and stretching on the patio.

More walking later, I suppose.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 357.5 of 550K
Walking Streak: 54

Pony Express.png

• Like 5

Tuesday I had a lot going on and it wasn't practical to get my normal exercise in. I did get steps, but not as many as I would have liked. We had a Christmas party and I went to trivia in the evening. I was exhausted when I got home. I didn't put the pedometer on immediately so I don't know how many steps I had for the day but it read a bit over 6k when I went to bed, so maybe it was closer to 7k or 7500. Today I went on a morning walk. Want to do more exercise, but working on a deadline thing and have a work event tonight which I need to leave the house early for so I can stop at the dry cleaners and pharmacy. I'll get home late tonight so I'll see if I can work bike or HIIT in this afternoon or I'm just gonna call today a wash. 

• Like 5

I slept better  - I got up in the middle of the night and read for a bit, but then slept late, by my standards. 

It was a gorgeous sunny, chilly day with just a light breeze. I walked our dog, then helped a friend walk her daughters' dogs.

I submitted my final essay of the semester.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I slept better  - I got up in the middle of the night and read for a bit, but then slept late, by my standards. 

It was a gorgeous sunny, chilly day with just a light breeze. I walked our dog, then helped a friend walk her daughters' dogs.

I submitted my final essay of the semester.

Congratulations on submitting the final essay!!! Glad your sleep is improving, too! That's nice to have a sunny day to relax and enjoy. ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

May I join?   I've been focusing on getting moving more since Sept but it has been so sporadic up until Dec. So far this month, I've been to the gym 5 times this month and am trying to focus on strength training and decreasing how long it take to walk a mile on the treadmill. No running for me, it would be terrible on my joints because of my weight.

I've found a 12 week dumbbell routine that I'm going to start tomorrow for more consistency.  It is 5 days a week which is completely doable.

My goals are to burn fat while maintaining muscle so along with the workout I'm focusing on a slight calorie deficit with enough protein for my muscles

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

May I join?   I've been focusing on getting moving more since Sept but it has been so sporadic up until Dec. So far this month, I've been to the gym 5 times this month and am trying to focus on strength training and decreasing how long it take to walk a mile on the treadmill. No running for me, it would be terrible on my joints because of my weight.

I've found a 12 week dumbbell routine that I'm going to start tomorrow for more consistency.  It is 5 days a week which is completely doable.

My goals are to burn fat while maintaining muscle so along with the workout I'm focusing on a slight calorie deficit with enough protein for my muscles

Welcome!  Is your dumbbell routine something you can share?  I might be interested.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Welcome!  Is your dumbbell routine something you can share?  I might be interested.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/5-day-dumbbell-only-workout-split

This is what I'm doing.  Just something I googled that seems well rounded and doable for me.  It was like the first one I found that didn't seem overwhelming with mostly things I didn't know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/5-day-dumbbell-only-workout-split

This is what I'm doing.  Just something I googled that seems well rounded and doable for me.  It was like the first one I found that didn't seem overwhelming with mostly things I didn't know.

Thanks. I might start here

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3-day-full-body-dumbbell-workout

• Like 5

Did a little shopping with my husband last night and then took the dog with me for about 3.5K around the neighborhood, which finished off yesterday's steps.

She (Lulu the dog) was surprisingly into walking with me this morning, and we logged 4.75K . . . slowly, but still.

Back home, I just didn't feel like the usual seated upper body video(s), so I did a walking with weights video and some "deskercise" stretching. 

I really, truly have to study for my final tonight so I am ready to take it before midnight tomorrow. But I will work in some more walking and/or stationary biking at some point to knock out the day's remaining steps.

Holiday Hustle 2022 Challenge: 365.7 of 550K
Walking Streak: 55

• Like 5

It rained most of the day yesterday, so I only took the dog for a short walk around the block. I did FINALLY get going on my full-body stretch and strength exercises two days ago, and even with a very gentle, slightly painful start, I'm already feeling stronger and energetic!! I was definitely in a slump, and the less I did physically, the less I was motivated to do. It's wonderful to be moving back up toward my normal energetic level. ☺️

Now I have to remain patient and not overdo things. Today is sunny out, and dh and I will take the dogs to the woods for a nice off-leash run/walk this afternoon. 

• Like 5