Menu

Favorite rhyming/rhythmic children's books

Dmmetler

I'd like to add new ones to my collection to use with my preschool music kids, and I'm a bit out of date :). I figured ya'll could help!  In general, any book that is rhythmic or has rhyming ohrases or a repeating phrase is really useful to use in a music lesson, as are picture books of songs  (like the "I know an old lady who.... Series") . 

Edited by Dmmetler

Bringing the Rain to Kapiti Plain by Verna Aardema isn't annoying.
Over in the Jungle by Marianne Berkes has such great illustrations it can't get annoying quickly.

And if you need another 'Old Lady Who' book, this is new out:
'There Was an Old Auntie Who Swallowed a Samosa' by Aasma Hussain.
(I am totally going to buy myself a copy next time I'm in town, even though grandkids are probably 15 years away.)

I looked up the Auntie one (I've discovered I can find readaloud versions of almost any children's book on Youtube, which lets me see the whole thing vs just a page) and found a bunch more localized versions that are now on my shopping list :).  I might skip getting "I know an old lady who swallowed a thong" though, since thaf has a different meaning to US audiences :). 

The good news is that I have few enough preschool sections that I usually don't get sick of a book. I did several weeks of "The little old woman who wasn't afraid of anything" with my preschool and 5-8 yr old homeschoolers, but it was still only about 6x total. 

• Like 1

Chicka Chicka boom boom  https://www.amazon.com/Chicka-Boom-Board-Book/dp/1442450703  video of read aloud --she seems to have them doing some activities like snapping along with the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdrTXRD090U

Going on a bear hunt (not a book):  https://www.thelearninggroove.com/going-on-a-bear-hunt

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I used to have an audio tape for Chicka Chicka Boom Boom that had multiple versions, including a very rock-like sung one. I used to have my 5th graders take the book and come up with orchestrations for it that we'd video record and have the kindergartners pick their favorites :). 

• Like 1

Jamberry -- here is an audio of the song that is loosely based on the book (the song is NOT the exact book words -- here is the book being read)

Amazing Anthony Ant -- has the actual "sheet music" as the end page, as I recall; you lift the flaps on the pages for the lyrics; it is the tune of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" but with new lyrics: "The ants come marching in a line, hurrah, hurrah..."

• Like 3

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Just in case it might be helpful in making suggestions-or to homeschooling parents, here's some of what we use them for. I usually use at least one book per session with kids, sometimes two. 

1) Books that are songs/chants. Obviously, we can sing/read along with these, and since they're easy to learn, often are some of the first books a child can "read" aloud to the group. (All the skills that come with read-alouds!). 

2) Books with a repeated refrain, like playing bells for the doorbell every time the book says "The Doorbell rang". (Listening skills, inhibitory control. It is extremely difficult for a 3 yr old to sit with bells on their lap and NOT play until the correct time!)

3) Books with multiple sets of sounds to put in. Same as above, but a lot harder because now you have to listen for your cue with a lot of distractors. I use these up into early elementary

4)Books where we have melodic fragments to put in at a specific point-for example, all of the "I know an old woman" variants have the repeated Do Re Mi La (with some variation on rhythm. These are great for beginning piano students to practice playing specific notes. Many of the books in #1 can be used this way

5) Books where we're listening for specific word sounds or word fragments-all the words with an -ing ending, or all the words with the short u sound. Both listening skills, but also phonemic development and phonemic awareness

6) Super rhythmic books which lend themselves to orchestration-These sometimes get used up even to middle school level for composition work. For example, Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom, or Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb work really well to hand to a group of four older kids to figure out how to orchestrate it and then perform or record for younger kids. It's also a child-safe way to explore rap as a genre :). 

• Thanks 1