Menu

Shoes/boots for interview advice

dirty ethel rackham

I need some advice on what to shoes/boots wear with this outfit.  I already had the jacket and bought the pants and blouse for interviewing.  I only had 1 hour to shop so I had to take the saleswoman's word that the length on the pants was "on trend."  I'd prefer something longer but it is what it is.   I wore the Dansko loafers pictured here on on an interview 2 weeks ago, but, with the weather turning colder, I need my ankles covered.   Since I have foot and ankle problems, I need something with low heels (no higher than 1.5 inches) with good arch support and stability since I'll need to walk and not look like I'm struggling.   Ideas? IMG-2756.thumb.jpg.eb96e547d24356b70375a8fced22ed08.jpg

• Like 2

Not to be difficult, but if you need to cover up the ankles I think boots might look funny with these pants. But I am biased as I tend to avoid cropped pants and even cropped sleeves (3/4 length are uncomfortable to me) so maybe just am living under a rock. 

I think it would be far easier to just find full length pants than new shoes. How much time do you have? Can you order your size/color online and return in person? 

You can totally wear boots with those. You could also do socks with your current shoes...I think black socks would streamline the look.

Here's one article for ideas: http://my9to5shoes.com/2020/01/21/what-to-wear-with-cropped-pants-to-avoid-cold-ankles/

Also this one: https://thestyletti.com/cropped-pants-dos-donts/

Edited by sgo95
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, sgo95 said:

You can totally wear boots with those. You could also do socks with your current shoes...I think black socks would streamline the look.

Here's one article for ideas: http://my9to5shoes.com/2020/01/21/what-to-wear-with-cropped-pants-to-avoid-cold-ankles/

I agree that black socks with loafers is a thing these days. I find it extremely chic especially if the loafers are chunkier. And ankle length trousers will make you look taller. Boots that have a slimmer shaft to fit under the trousers would look best. All my jeans and pants are ankle length not because it’s on trend, though it looks more current less dated, but it gives an elongated look when you can either show a bit of ankle.

Maybe some people can pull it off but half of those models look ridiculous to me. In an interview I don’t want my shoes/ankles to be distracting. Solid colored black boots or tall black trouser socks - maybe. Nothing that will make my skin poke out when I sit down. Definitely wouldn’t push my luck with contrasting patterns/colors of shoes. I guess the reason I’m not a fan is I’d worry it looked like I was wearing high water pants/the wrong size. 

You have a great figure and can probably pull off whatever you end up choosing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sgo95 said:

I’m not sure Uc would go with socks and loafers, but I think the  first link shows some really good options in boots. You would probably want something with a little bit of a heel and a narrow shaft that hugs your ankle/calf.

You could always just tough  it out and wear the outfit you have, though I also hate cold ankles in winter, so I would go with boots.

That is a really cute outfit. I love the blouse.

Thanks for all the advice.  I'm not sure I'll have much time to shop for other options.  I struggle to find pants that are flattering that fit (between sizes and waist too big and hips too small.) Since I have a bum ankle that, in order to function well, needs warmth and low shoes with lots of support (arch and pronation control), I can't do heels, nor cold ankles.  I need to appear nimble and competent and, well, younger than my years.  Age discrimination is alive and well.  I live in wool socks between October and April.  Fortunately, I can wear athletic shoes with my custom orthotics with my scrubs for work, but scrubs are not advised for an interview.

I may try it with some black socks. Or try to find some longer pants. I probably won't be able to get boots in time since I need built in orthotics and I can't just go to a store and find the perfect pair.  And, if I have to spend that amount of money, I want something I can wear with jeans, and where I can walk a mile.  A unicorn, basically.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Thanks for all the advice.  I'm not sure I'll have much time to shop for other options.  I struggle to find pants that are flattering that fit (between sizes and waist too big and hips too small.) Since I have a bum ankle that, in order to function well, needs warmth and low shoes with lots of support (arch and pronation control), I can't do heels, nor cold ankles.  I need to appear nimble and competent and, well, younger than my years.  Age discrimination is alive and well.  I live in wool socks between October and April.  Fortunately, I can wear athletic shoes with my custom orthotics with my scrubs for work, but scrubs are not advised for an interview.

I may try it with some black socks. Or try to find some longer pants. I probably won't be able to get boots in time since I need built in orthotics and I can't just go to a store and find the perfect pair.  And, if I have to spend that amount of money, I want something I can wear with jeans, and where I can walk a mile.  A unicorn, basically.

I have foot issues and put PowerStep insoles in mine. My boots with heels aren’t great but I could wear them the length of an interview, especially somewhere I’m seated. My best PowerStep insoles have to come directly from the podiatrist. 

There are low wedges on some boots. Maybe you could find some. 

If you have time and it’s nearby, I suggest looking at kohl’s for pants and/or shoes. 

One store, SAS sells shoes with built in support but they are out of my price range. 

49 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

With these concerns, I'd go for new pants--the long, flowy kind with wide bottoms. Wear with a sleek belt. They look really good with a suit jacket like the one in your picture.

I agree that you could do boots with those pants. I would do a solid matte black with little adornment. I'll see if I can find what I mean. ....

I don't know anything about this brand but something like this. https://smile.amazon.com/DREAM-PAIRS-Sdab2225w-Chelsea-Platform/dp/B09ZLJRBWV/ref=sr_1_36?crid=38GTOV6USOET&keywords=black+ankle+boots&qid=1666810579&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxMC4wOCIsInFzYSI6IjkuMzYiLCJxc3AiOiI4LjUwIn0%3D&sprefix=black+ankle+boots%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-36

IMO, the ankle should be more fitted and the toe a bit more pointed. 

• Like 2

Just now, heartlikealion said:

I have foot issues and put PowerStep insoles in mine. My boots with heels aren’t great but I could wear them the length of an interview, especially somewhere I’m seated. My best PowerStep insoles have to come directly from the podiatrist. 

There are low wedges on some boots. Maybe you could find some. 

If you have time and it’s nearby, I suggest looking at kohl’s for pants and/or shoes. 

One store, SAS sells shoes with built in support but they are out of my price range. 

For this job, the interview isn't just sitting down.  I'll have to walk through a hospital however far that is.  It can be almost the equivalent to a city block to get from the entrance to the ultrasound department.  And I would likely be asked to scan another tech to demonstrate skill, which would involve moving around.  And the tour of the department and a trip to HR.  I could get by with almost any shoe if it just involved standing (could even do heels.)  But sustained forward motion needs lots of support and correction of poor mechanics due to poor healing from tendon surgery 8 years ago that PT just couldn't fix.  

My custom orthotics were built by a company that does prosthetics because they have to take the foot mold, create the orthotic, and build up the insole to correct the alignment of my busted up ankle, and make small corrections to fix the poor mechanics of motion. These insoles are over $400 just for the insole, not including the podiatrist visit.  Since insurance only covered a small part, I can't just get a pair for every type of shoe.  I save that for my athletic shoes so I can walk several miles a day.  But for dressier shoes, it is cheaper to buy ones with built in orthotics, but it is hit or miss to see if a particular model works well with my foot for walking.  I just checked and I do have powerstep insoles in one pair of shoes, but they are only just OK as far as the correction I need.  The bad foot still collapses into pronation through the motion of walking.  

During the pandemic, most of the stores that sell these shoes locally closed.  So, I have to buy them online and try out several pairs.  It's an arduous process.  I have purchased and sent back so many.  Which is why I don't have boots right now.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

With those pants, I’d be inclined to wear black tights and keep the loafers.

As you know, it’s super hard to find boots that work well with orthotics. I have a pair of black leather booties from Lucky that do, and that could work with that outfit, but I think they wouldn’t look quite right. Boots + trousers need a wider leg on the trouser. Those trousers are right on trend, though. 

• Like 2

Can you do black socks?  there are some thin enough to wear with danskos.  whatever shoes - I think it would be better to have your ankles black like your pants and shoes so it gives a smoother "look".

gently - -the jacket seems too small.  the sleeves look short for the blouse, and the jacket itself seems too short at the hips, and makes your silhouette look choppy.

• Like 2

Not that this is any gauge as to what looks good but based on what her friends say, Dd gets compliments when she wears black loafers, ankle length pants to show off the loafers, and black socks (no skin showing). She has a couple of loafers, one that is chunky and shiny and the other that are penny loafers. 

The jacket you have is meant to be above the wrist and to have the option of showing the sleeves of the blouse if you wish. It’s to lengthen the look of the arm. Plus you tucked in the blouse making your legs longer. I mean, you do look tall. I still think Ethel looks modern and put together.

• Like 4