Menu

October craft thread

Melissa in Australia

On 10/5/2022 at 8:15 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

If you do get Pinking shears I highly reccomend fiskars spring ones So much easier to use than the old ones with no spring

I think I got a dud?? These came from Amazon. Might need to return?? They only reopen it I force them open or don’t close all the way. But I want to close fully to cut more at once. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/zdIXwiY8Kcg?feature=share

Edited by heartlikealion

I am going to attempt this pattern now

It doesn't   have instructions so that will make it interesting https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/731159116/1930s-30s-vintage-sewing-pattern-art?click_key=39f8a98e884ab84ae9fda00986591879b7b4de69%3A731159116&click_sum=334ce865&ref=shop_home_active_1

adding I have started it and realised I really don't like doing rows of pin-tucks. I cannot seem to get them even. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I think I got a dud?? These came from Amazon. Might need to return?? They only reopen it I force them open or don’t close all the way. But I want to close fully to cut more at once. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/zdIXwiY8Kcg?feature=share

oh no, mine look exactly like that but they spring opened by themselves. I have to store them locked otherwise they open . Would it work putting a drop of oil at the pivot point?

5 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

oh no, mine look exactly like that but they spring opened by themselves. I have to store them locked otherwise they open . Would it work putting a drop of oil at the pivot point?

Some Amazon reviewers said they had the same problem. One lady tried oil and it didn’t help plus fear of getting oil on fabric. I’m going to return. 
Can you recommend a certain place to buy? Maybe I need to order from JoAnn (cost a little more there/only sold online I think. Might try a coupon to help offset). 

Adding: I've read mixed reviews on the JoAnn site as well. It seems to me that the manufacturing is a pure gamble. Some function correctly and some do not. Ugh. And they cost $30 give or take so that's quite frustrating. I might just get a traditional pair unless I could walk into JoAnn, pay, open them on site, test them, and return if they don't work all in the same visit. 

Edited by heartlikealion

stitched two rainbow banners together yesterday to decorate the sides of my utility cart, which I'll be pushing when we walk with our church in the local Pride Parade tomorrow. I have more strips and will make a throw quilt afterward, and donate it to the local shelter/organization for homeless LBGTQ youth. 

311415867_10159243320143666_3126483301384592873_n.jpeg

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

stitched two rainbow banners together yesterday to decorate the sides of my utility cart, which I'll be pushing when we walk with our church in the local Pride Parade tomorrow. I have more strips and will make a throw quilt afterward, and donate it to the local shelter/organization for homeless LBGTQ youth. 

311415867_10159243320143666_3126483301384592873_n.jpeg

Your Catholic Church is involved with a Pride Parade??  

21 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Your Catholic Church is involved with a Pride Parade??  

I've been attending the local United Church of Christ for a little over a year now. (coincidentally a HUGE percentage of the people in this congregation are former Catholics). The UCC has a long history of being open and affirming (although it can vary by individual congregation) and ours in particular is very pro LGBT rights. It's one of the reasons we attend there now, although not the only one. (hoping my reply didn't come out snarky - I'm short on sleep this week, forgot to have my afternoon coffee, and my back hurts, so sometimes I come across cranky when I am just actually tired or in pain)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I've been attending the local United Church of Christ for a little over a year now. (coincidentally a HUGE percentage of the people in this congregation are former Catholics). The UCC has a long history of being open and affirming (although it can vary by individual congregation) and ours in particular is very pro LGBT rights. It's one of the reasons we attend there now, although not the only one. (hoping my reply didn't come out snarky - I'm short on sleep this week, forgot to have my afternoon coffee, and my back hurts, so sometimes I come across cranky when I am just actually tired or in pain)

Ohh ok. No, didn’t read snark. 🙂 hope you feel better and good luck finishing wagon. 

• Like 1

Oh! I forgot - I'm helping DD5 learn to sew! She started by hand sewing - did some embroidery type stuff using yarn on burlap, and then did some applique of felt on felt. Now she's using the sewing machine and LOVES it. She made (with help) a tooth fairy pillow with a fleece tooth shaped pocket, and now is making her own trick or treat bag. BUT...as awesome as that is, I still have to help her "steer" some, and leaning to the right to help and be able to see where the needle is, etc is KILLING my SI joint. It hadn't flared in a while, and I was wondering why it started up the other day...the day after making that pillow with her.Started to do the trick or treat bag and was like, OH! THAT is why! PLUS I realized I always sit with the kids on my right when helping wiht school work, so off and on I am leaning that direction only. I need to start sitting on the other side of them!

Edit - as I was typing this, her tooth just fell out! Guess we had good timing on the pillow idea!

rosie sewing.jpeg

tooth pillow.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Some Amazon reviewers said they had the same problem. One lady tried oil and it didn’t help plus fear of getting oil on fabric. I’m going to return. 
Can you recommend a certain place to buy? Maybe I need to order from JoAnn (cost a little more there/only sold online I think. Might try a coupon to help offset). 

Adding: I've read mixed reviews on the JoAnn site as well. It seems to me that the manufacturing is a pure gamble. Some function correctly and some do not. Ugh. And they cost $30 give or take so that's quite frustrating. I might just get a traditional pair unless I could walk into JoAnn, pay, open them on site, test them, and return if they don't work all in the same visit. 

I cannot reccomend a shop as I am In Australia and we don't have the same shops. I bought mine in person at spotlight. They were $75 au but I got them On sale for $50 au

I got them to finish edges on garments As I mostly see on my singer treadle. A rotary cutter would not work for my needs

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Oh! I forgot - I'm helping DD5 learn to sew! She started by hand sewing - did some embroidery type stuff using yarn on burlap, and then did some applique of felt on felt. Now she's using the sewing machine and LOVES it. She made (with help) a tooth fairy pillow with a fleece tooth shaped pocket, and now is making her own trick or treat bag. BUT...as awesome as that is, I still have to help her "steer" some, and leaning to the right to help and be able to see where the needle is, etc is KILLING my SI joint. It hadn't flared in a while, and I was wondering why it started up the other day...the day after making that pillow with her.Started to do the trick or treat bag and was like, OH! THAT is why! PLUS I realized I always sit with the kids on my right when helping wiht school work, so off and on I am leaning that direction only. I need to start sitting on the other side of them!

Edit - as I was typing this, her tooth just fell out! Guess we had good timing on the pillow idea!

rosie sewing.jpeg

tooth pillow.jpeg

That’s awesome minus the pain! 
Now I want to sew a trick or treat bag lol Maybe the Halloween fabric will be on sale soon. 

• Like 2

I'm not quite finished with this, but I need affirmation because it's a lot of work, and when I tell DS to come look at it and ask what he thinks he's all "yeah, it's fine." 😄

Anyway, DS is going to be a Scratch project for Halloween. I am putting all this on one face of a box, which he will wear with some straps I'll attach to it. (Actually I have two sets like this for the front and back of the box, and there's another bit of "code" that I'll put on both sides, but I haven't made that part yet.)

PXL_20221020_234927279.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

The lap quilt is a challenge from a local quilt shop-they chose the panel and a few coordinating fabrics and challenged us to design a quilt. I did it from scratch, then when I quilted it on the shop’s longarm I discovered almost everyone else chose a ready made pattern and just inserted the fabrics. Felt kind of dumb because I assumed it was supposed to be our own. 
The shelf I made of some salvaged baseboard trim from the 1800’s. Stripped it, made the shelf, and thus added some charm to my sewing room. 

B9FF01BA-B9BA-4EC3-B671-D80BEB0174AD.jpeg

57929BCE-FCC7-4CE4-8142-DB6D467CE476.jpeg

• Like 15

On 10/24/2022 at 9:27 AM, vonfirmath said:

This is the problem we ended up with a dairy allergy. People would avoid giving her milk and sometimes cheese. But not even think about the many things that have milk as part of it. Such as yogurt. (Even Goldfish! Thankfully hers was a sensitivity not anaphylactic!)

On 10/23/2022 at 6:20 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I finished to top with pintucks. It was a very tricky pattern.. Mostly because of all the pintucks on curves andthere were no instructions. 

IMG20221024083333.jpg

So pretty!

• Thanks 1

Made this fall colored quilt - it is lap sizedish (42x56) but I'm using it as a wall hanging. The seams did not meet up as well as I would like in the middle, so I covered up the wonky bits by making squares out of the border fabric and appliquing them on  - I like it even better now! 

image.thumb.png.ef2a7e4a0640fd5bc330a9172b41f74b.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Here is the final product for my kiddo who wanted to be a Scratch project for Halloween - we did a trunk-or-treat this afternoon. The opposite sides look the same as the ones you can see. I did end up pinning the straps to his shirt after a bit because he was annoyed at having to hold them up!

PXL_20221030_200542832.MP~2.jpg

• Like 7