Menu

Questions about Perfume

A while ago my dh was really sweet and bought me a bottle of Chanel no 5 perfume while on a business trip in Europe. I rarely had ever worn perfume before that and I know he was really trying to pamper me by buying such a well know, high class perfume. Problem is... I really don't like the scent on me so I never wear it. I know he feels kind of bad that I don't wear something so nice that he got me so I thought I'd pull it out again today and try it again. Still don't like it and feel like I need to go take another shower. I'm thinking maybe I should tell him that I really like the idea of a nice perfume but just don't care for this particular one and maybe he could try something different. Which is why I am coming here to ask what are your favorite scents? I want something light that doesn't have the "perfumey", hairspray smell that the Chanel seems to have on me.

Also, is a almost new bottle of perfume something that people would buy on ebay or someplace like that? I was thinking maybe I could re-coup some of the costs.

Thanks!

I wear (from this link http://www.perfume.com/lines

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Romantic and sensual, Lolita Lempicka is an alluring floral fragrance containing vanilla, musk, and violet. The bottle is shaped like an apple — the fruit of temptation — and is engraved with a heart pierced by an arrow.

About Burberry by Burberry

Burberry by Burberry for Women perfume is a floral, fruity fragrance for women launched in 1995. The fresh and sensual scent includes top notes of black currant, green apple, peach and marigold in a simple, rounded glass bottle.

A while ago my dh was really sweet and bought me a bottle of Chanel no 5 perfume while on a business trip in Europe. I rarely had ever worn perfume before that and I know he was really trying to pamper me by buying such a well know, high class perfume. Problem is... I really don't like the scent on me so I never wear it. I know he feels kind of bad that I don't wear something so nice that he got me so I thought I'd pull it out again today and try it again. Still don't like it and feel like I need to go take another shower. I'm thinking maybe I should tell him that I really like the idea of a nice perfume but just don't care for this particular one and maybe he could try something different. Which is why I am coming here to ask what are your favorite scents? I want something light that doesn't have the "perfumey", hairspray smell that the Chanel seems to have on me.

Also, is a almost new bottle of perfume something that people would buy on ebay or someplace like that? I was thinking maybe I could re-coup some of the costs.

Thanks!

I wonder if your dh smelled it on someone and liked it? That is what my dh does...usually smells it on my best friend since she is more likely someone he would be hugging on..:D Anyway....Once a guy a worked with smelled so good I wanted to gobble him up and I asked him the name of the cologne so I could buy it for dh. It is Safari and dh still wears it 10 years later...

For myself I LOVE Pure Poison...it is so lovley and light. I also like Romance.

my favorite is "Coco Chanel", I think it is a cologne, so not as expensive as the Chanel no. 5, I think it smells better, too.

I think you need to find one you like and then let dh know, so he can pamper you with a scent you want to wear.

If you like light smells, Issey Miyake, is nice, they always have great sets.

I hear the new Viva la Juicy is great, that is on my list.

I get a ton of compliments, on Angel Innocent, Flowerbomb, and my winter fav is Boucheron, but that is heavier.

Marc Jacobs is nice , but I dont like gardenias, my friends wear it as reminder of Hawaii.

Miss Cheri Dior is nice if you want to move closer to classics.

I have tried them all, I am a big perfume fan and go to all the Fragrance Festivals, the girls dont even try to spray me, because I have worn them all. :tongue_smilie:

Perfumes smell slightly different on different people -- they work with your body chemistry.

The best way to find a new perfume is to try them yourself. Limit yourself to about 3 per shopping trip, though -- your nose gets "tired" and will be unable to differentiate.

I assume, though, that you knew all of that and are just trying to narrow it down before your first shopping trip, right?

Thanks!

People used to buy used makeup (lipsticks, etc.) on ebay, so possibly. I don't know if ebay has rules against it these days, though.

Also, perfume changes as it sits open over time -- the exposure to air ages it. So some people might not want to purchase it from that standpoint, but surely others would appreciate getting it at a discount.

Having said all of that, I have no recommendations. I can't stand most perfume, as they are too strong and smell horribly fake and synthetic to me. I'm one of those people who holds their breath in department stores (and craft stores that carry a lot of synthetic fragrances). My own dh has realized that I'm not going to wear any scent, and I prefer that he not wear cologne either. He pampers me in other ways.:)

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I am going to make a note of them so the next time I'm at the store I can smell a few.

Gail, Thanks for the overall tips on testing perfumes and also on selling it. I'm kind of right there with you on not really liking any perfume. I guess that is why I've never really worn it. However, since my husband was so sweet to try, I thought I might see if there is something that would work. I'm not against smelling nice:D just don't want to smell "perfumey".

Kidlovingmama, Don't worry about the "league" that it is in. Trust me, I'm not hung up on that sort of thing at all! In fact, the only perfume I have ever purchased for myself was MANY years ago (think high school) and it was something cheap from Wal-Mart. In fact, that is partly what makes me feel so bad about not liking the gift my dh gave me. Neither one of us is at all into "high class" stuff but I know he was really trying hard to go out of his way to really pamper me with something way beyond what I'd ever do for myself.

Thanks!

Look for something oil based, rather than alcohol based. I have the same problem, most of my perfumes burn my nose, even in the smallest doses. I went to body sprays that were water or oil based. One thing I have found, with perfumes that are alcohol based, if I spray it in my hair, I get a pleasant whiff of fragrance every once in awhile and it seemed to tone down the alcohol undercurrents. Also, I don't get those yucky perfume spots on my neck (think a kiss here/nibble there and the sour puss that emerges once the perfume hits the taste buds).