Menu

Agh! Super frustrated.

Elizabeth86

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and recovering from covid and have the worst headache ever right now, so maybe that's it, maybe I have a right to be annoyed. Idk.

I know most of you know about my mom’s recent brush with being “famous” 🤣 Well I was just told that when she goes on the today's show that they are going to show pictures of all of us. I am NOT thrilled. No one ran this by me. DH and I super private, I'm not sure how he feels about them putting our kids pictures on either. When I started to complain, my sister in the background was saying well they wanted a picture of HER grandkids. Yep they are her grandkids, but they belong to me not her. Second of all if I did agree I'd at least like to approve the pictures. My dad and I are super annoyed with the whole thing because yes we are happy for my mom, BUT my sister and niece are just going nuts over it all. They both literally act like they've done something and they have not. They are just kind of pushing my mom to do all the things so they can benefit from it. Ugh all this makes me feel uncomfortable. Now none of this is my mom's fault because everything is being coordinated by my sister and my niece. My mom is just caught up in it. Maybe if I felt well and wasn't hormonal I wouldn't feel this way, but I don't and I am and I do. 🤣

Hugs, advice, jawm, whatever you want to offer. I'm usually crying on my mom’s shoulder, but everytime I call my sister is there trying to talk over our conversation. 

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Sad 18

Hugs, many hugs. You should be able to stop them from sharing pics of your immediate family in such a setting. I would think the Today show would need your written permission. If not, there should be some way of contacting them to say they don't have your permission. Especially if the pics were not taken in a public setting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, QueenCat said:

Hugs, many hugs. You should be able to stop them from sharing pics of your immediate family in such a setting. I would think the Today show would need your written permission. If not, there should be some way of contacting them to say they don't have your permission. Especially if the pics were not taken in a public setting.

I mean I'm not thrilled, but if my mom, sister or niece had texted me and said hey send some pics to share with the show I might consider. I'm just not being considered at all. 

• Sad 3

Just now, Ann.without.an.e said:

I don't think they will be allowed to show pics of minors without parental consent. Grand-parent consent doesn't count. 

So sorry this is stressing you ❤️ 

Thanks. Like I said I might have chosen to consent if someone had just asked first ya know? I just hate being TOLD things will happen rather than being asked.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thanks. Like I said I might have chosen to consent if someone had just asked first ya know? I just hate being TOLD things will happen rather than being asked.

Have you told them that?

I personally do think you are over reacting but you have the right to handle how you want.  I hate for this fun thing for your mom to turn so ugly….but if they know how you feel it is rude of them to ignore your wishes. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Scarlett said:

Have you told them that?

I personally do think you are over reacting but you have the right to handle how you want.  I hate for this fun thing for your mom to turn so ugly….but if they know how you feel it is rude of them to ignore your wishes. 

Right? I probably am overreacting, but when I'm pregnant I am pretty irrational. Even though I know this, there isn't much I can do to feel differently. I mean they both got to say ok to having their pictures on and they sent the pictures. I think I deserve the same options they had.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

. I'm usually crying on my mom’s shoulder, but everytime I call my sister is there trying to talk over our conversation. 

My brother’s wife’s sister (and her husband) behave similarly which is why I am the executor of my parents wills even though I am in another country. My brother gets “push over” like your mom’s scenario.

I would be very annoyed if my photo and  my kids’ photos are out there and linked to any relative. Its an invasion of privacy and my teens would be downright unhappy. For your scenario, my teens would be annoyed with your sister because it feels sneaky and avoid your sister and her daughter from then on. Your sister and her daughter seems to enjoy being in the limelight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Arcadia said:

My brother’s wife’s sister (and her husband) behave similarly which is why I am the executor of my parents wills even though I am in another country. My brother gets “push over” like your mom’s scenario.

I would be very annoyed if my photo and  my kids’ photos are out there and linked to any relative. Its an invasion of privacy and my teens would be downright unhappy. For your scenario, my teens would be annoyed with your sister because it feels sneaky and avoid your sister and her daughter from then on. Your sister and her daughter seems to enjoy being in the limelight.

It's a actually not my sister’s daughter. It's my brother’s daughter. Thanks for your support.

I’d absolutely want to see the pictures and if your kids are old enough to care, I’d ask for their consent also. I ask my grands for permission to post any pics of them on social media. They’ve always said yes, but I always tell them it’s ok if they want to say no.  
I would be irritated about the whole photo thing, but I’m a diehard introvert so that might play into how I’d react. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Annie G said:

I’d absolutely want to see the pictures and if your kids are old enough to care, I’d ask for their consent also. I ask my grands for permission to post any pics of them on social media. They’ve always said yes, but I always tell them it’s ok if they want to say no.  
I would be irritated about the whole photo thing, but I’m a diehard introvert so that might play into how I’d react. 

I'm an extreme introvert too!

• Like 1

I’d be upset, too, and I’m not as private as you are.  I’d probably just call them up and tell them either you approve the photo or you’ll make sure they’re not allowed to show it.   I think I remember what your dh does for a living and I wouldn’t be ok with my kids being on tv, unless I could approve the photo.  I’d pick something that is maybe a bit old so it doesn’t have updated faces, or something not showing them straight on.    Just my opinion.  

also, my father was featured in a newspaper article and he mentioned where we live (dh, ds, and I).  It was in the same vicinity of the paper, but I wasn’t crazy about that because of what he did for a living.    There was nothing I could do, because it was after the fact, but I still wasn’t crazy about it.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’d be upset, too, and I’m not as private as you are.  I’d probably just call them up and tell them either you approve the photo or you’ll make sure they’re not allowed to show it.   I think I remember what your dh does for a living and I wouldn’t be ok with my kids being on tv, unless I could approve the photo.  I’d pick something that is maybe a bit old so it doesn’t have updated faces, or something not showing them straight on.    Just my opinion.  

also, my father was featured in a newspaper article and he mentioned where we live (dh, ds, and I).  It was in the same vicinity of the paper, but I wasn’t crazy about that because of what he did for a living.    There was nothing I could do, because it was after the fact, but I still wasn’t crazy about it.  

That is actually a really good point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I totally get it. I’ve had a similar issue with a family member with a large social media following wanting to share pictures of my kids. It took several years of me saying no before the requests stopped, but I still occasionally hear, “so and so doesn’t mind me sharing pictures of her kids.”  Whatever. This is the same social media account that I have also heard them complain about sick people posting sickening things on (public account). Yeah, not feeling bad about not putting my kids on it. 

• Thanks 1

I think the producer posted something on the Facebook site.  You could contact her and discuss it.  I am not very private, but I do have siblings who are and I completely respect that(I don’t post pictures of their kids on my Facebook or IG( things like that).  Your wishes should be respected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I think the producer posted something on the Facebook site.  You could contact her and discuss it.  I am not very private, but I do have siblings who are and I completely respect that(I don’t post pictures of their kids on my Facebook or IG( things like that).  Your wishes should be respected.

Hmm I don't see it.

I would just come right out and tell your mom that she can't show your pictures on TV. Period. The end. And if your sister doesn't like it, she can suck it up and deal with it. And if you can contact the producer @Mrs Tiggywinkle told you about, I think you should do that, as well. 

I would not have allowed photos of my child to be shown on national television. 

• Like 4

Can you contact the producers of this show and let them now you do not want your children's pictures used under any circumstances?   that your mother does NOT have permission to share their pictures.  That you expect they will not use the pictures because they don't' want to be legally liable for doing so.

• Like 3

I would not be ok with our kids pics on TV. Nope. Not at all. We don’t have FB or allow their pics on any social media either. That would be so upsetting to me.

I haven’t followed much about this story, but I sure hope you can work something out so you feel like you’re keeping your privacy.

Many hugs to you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok so she told the producer to not include the ones of us until we approve. My husband hasn’t decided yet. My mom would like me to share pics, but no pressure or expectations from her. I’m still feeling so bad that they just bypassed me and tried to do this without my consent. It wasn’t about my family being on tv as much as they didn’t ask permission. Thanks for everyone’s kind words.

• Like 5