Menu

Why does cream cheese hurt me?

ktgrok

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Because it includes guar gum or xanthan or carob bean gum? 

Oh, I bet this is it! I should check - I know I had some cream that was bothering me, years ago, and it turned out to have one of the gums in it!

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Is it related to the fat content?  

Maybe? I mean, i use butter all the time though, which would be higher fat, so that doesn't seem like it would be it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSmomof2 said:

I get an upset stomach from cream cheese too……no other dairy products cause a problem, even full fat dairy. I’m not sure what it is about cream cheese. I like it too, but it doesn’t like me.

At least I know I'm not crazy! 

Ooh, the whipped kind, which I normally buy, DOES have gums in it! Now I'll have to try the regular kind, instead of the whipped, and see if it also bothers me, as I don't think it has the xanthum gum...although wait, it does have the carob bean gum. Anyone know if that is a gut irritant like the other kinds of gums? Probably, huh?

Ingredients. Pasteurized Milk And Cream, Skim Milk, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Carob Bean Gum, Xanthan Gum, Lactic Acid, Natamycin (a Natural Mold Inhibitor), Vitamin A Palmitate, Cheese Culture.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KSera said:

It's the same for me, so that's really interesting. Cheesecake is a no go because of the cream cheese also, which sucks, because cheesecake is delicious.

I eat it anyway, lol. Because cheesecake. But only rarely. 

Just now, ktgrok said:

I eat it anyway, lol. Because cheesecake. But only rarely. 

Really? Oh gosh, no, not for me. Nothing is worth feeling that bad. Happily, I have discovered Trader Joes makes a vegan cheesecake that is surprisingly good. I haven't had it for awhile, because pandemic, but now you have me thinking of it.

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Really? Oh gosh, no, not for me. Nothing is worth feeling that bad. Happily, I have discovered Trader Joes makes a vegan cheesecake that is surprisingly good. I haven't had it for awhile, because pandemic, but now you have me thinking of it.

For me it is very dose dependent. And I will take gas x before hand, etc. It is also dose dependent, so one slice won't make me miserable, but say, cream cheees on a bagel for a few days in a row will have me writhing in pain. 

1 minute ago, KSera said:

What is chicory root in?

A LOT. Also listed as inulin fiber. A lot of lower calorie yogurt has it now, some granola bars, etc. No one in my family can handle it. 

3 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I am right there with you. I don't know if it's the gums or not. The severity of my reaction varies enough that I will take my chances, lol! Simethicone to the rescue. 

Same...I have just enough times that it is okay that I keep trying...and paying the price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

It's the same for me, so that's really interesting. Cheesecake is a no go because of the cream cheese also, which sucks, because cheesecake is delicious.

Speaking from experience, vegan cheesecake is awesome.  So awesome that I only allow myself some on my birthday because otherwise things will get crazy around here with me hopped up on chocolate 24/7. LOL

ETA: oops, sorry! Just caught your post about Trader Joe's cheesecake.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Speaking from experience, vegan cheesecake is awesome.  So awesome that I only allow myself some on my birthday because otherwise things will get crazy around here with me hopped up on chocolate 24/7. LOL

ETA: oops, sorry! Just caught your post about Trader Joe's cheesecake.

Yes - when I was vegan I could serve vegan cheesecake and people didn't even notice!