Menu

Storefront type Window Displays in Houses

QueenCat

There is a house about ten minutes away from me that changes it's front window seasonally. At Christmas, there was Ralphie in his pink rabbit pajamas w/related scenery. Valentines had cherubs and hearts. March had a leprechaun. Ralphie and the leprechaun were probably the size of a ten year old. I wish it was safe to stop and take a pic so I could share it with you all. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, QueenCat said:

There is a house about ten minutes away from me that changes it's front window seasonally. At Christmas, there was Ralphie in his pink rabbit pajamas w/related scenery. Valentines had cherubs and hearts. March had a leprechaun. Ralphie and the leprechaun were probably the size of a ten year old. I wish it was safe to stop and take a pic so I could share it with you all. 

We have a house like that near us — I love passing by just so I can see their front window!

Of course, the tragic lack of a monolith or a porch dragon clearly means that those people are not WTMers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

48 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

We have a house like that near us — I love passing by just so I can see their front window!

Of course, the tragic lack of a monolith or a porch dragon clearly means that those people are not WTMers.

I think I need both a monolith and a porch dragon. That would totally tip off my neighborhood that I'm on WTM

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

I love looking! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I was just going to ask @QueenCat if she lives in @Terabith's neighborhood! It sounds like something in that genre.

Edited by Jaybee
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I was just going to ask @QueenCat if she lives in @Terabith's neighborhood! It sounds like something in that genre.

I have a neighbor with a plate glass window like that, but all she puts in it is her tv from across the room from it is constantly set to the channel with the flickering fire.  We've about called the fire department several times at night because of the large flames we can see from a block away.  

• Haha 7

There is huge old Victorian house in my town owned by a single gentleman. A dressed mannequin lives in one of his upstairs rooms, by the window. On Halloween, she is joined by a life-size cardboard Elvira. At Easter, she is replaced by a very simple white rabbit silhouette, and at Valentine's Day, by a large heart. A Christmas tree is in the window in December.

He's a bit of an eccentric homeowner but very nice. He grows large cactuses outside (in Indiana!) when it is warm enough and then takes them inside when it is cool. He also has flower garlands and miniature Chihuahua statues on his porch.

When I am more awake, I will try to come back and tell you about the twin dolls who have lived in a nearby window for at least 50 years now. They have outfits for different seasons and holidays. I think they are Patty Playpal type dolls, about 3 feet tall. 

ETA: Here's an article on the dolls, written by a teenager. 🙂 I always looked forward to seeing the dolls when we drove past them on the way to and back from a larger city in our area, and now I still point them out to my DD whenever we go by.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Farrar said:

Sometimes I walk past the locally infamous Barbie pond. Last I saw, the Barbies were busy supporting Ukraine, but apparently they're now gearing up for Easter.

Oh I wish I had known about this; I was just on O Street last month for the nutty mansion/museum! 
Barbie Pond would totally have gone along with the theme!

• Like 2

That all sounds super fun!

My current and future houses are too far from the road for details to be seen from a window. I’m told our new street has a lot of dog walkers (dead end), so I’m hoping to come up with neat holiday ideas that can be appreciated from a distance. 

• Like 1

My first house had a huge window into the front bedroom, which I did not use. I put one of my dollhouses right in front of it and decorated it seasonally. My neighbors loved it, mostly because previously it had been a college-aged man's bedroom decorated with half nude women posters and a Confederate flag (in Northern IL of all places). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Farrar said:

Sometimes I walk past the locally infamous Barbie pond. Last I saw, the Barbies were busy supporting Ukraine, but apparently they're now gearing up for Easter.

I haven't heard of the Barbie pond but love the idea of it!

• Like 3