Menu

I need beds, yesterday, suggestions? Color question at the bottom

Drama Llama

FWIW, my 6'7" son has a Twin XL mattress and he much prefers that to a full size, because it's 5" longer than a full but not so wide that it takes up extra floor space. In our previous house he had a full-size bunk bed, and changing the sheets in full width bunks that are up against a wall is a major PITA.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lecka said:

What wrong with a message to your husband that he’s a grown man and you’re sure he can figure out replacement beds?  

If you've read some of her other posts, it's evident that this situation needs to be handled very carefully not only in words but in action. 

I agree that it sends mixed message to remove furniture after stating you're working on making the family functional again.

• Like 4

One thing I was going to mention is if you end up with an XL double somehow (we have an XL twin over an XL double), you can use queen sheets on those just fine.  The XL twin sheets are pretty easy to find, especially like in July/August when college dorm stuff is out (on that note, Target had decent quality XL bedding for super cheap during the summer).  But the XL double sheets are kind of non existent.  The queen sheets work just fine with a little extra tucking at the corners.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lecka said:

What’s wrong with a message to your husband that he’s a grown man and you’re sure he can figure out replacement beds?  

Honestly, we're splitting up.  I'm taking his kids, and the house.  He isn't putting up a fight about either of those things. 

I think letting him keep the furniture is reasonable.  

Even if there weren't all sorts of other complexities, I think it would still be reasonable.  

46 minutes ago, Tree Frog said:

Could you remove the door to the closet and still be able to access it?

If you crawled over the bed to get there, maybe?    Or if the twins were smushed against each other.  

But the space has worked fine with bunk beds.  It's had bunk beds since my kids were in regular beds.  I guess I'm not really understanding why people are pushing back against that idea.  

37 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

If you crawled over the bed to get there, maybe?    Or if the twins were smushed against each other.  

But the space has worked fine with bunk beds.  It's had bunk beds since my kids were in regular beds.  I guess I'm not really understanding why people are pushing back against that idea.  

Maybe because your kids are nearing the age that one will want his own space.   I know with my friend her kids wanted bunk beds for a long time and did well until the oldest wanted his own bed space. He complained his brother made too much noise above him wiggling, breathing, etc.  Swapping places and the same complaints. Get bunk beds that can be separated so if in a year or two, the one wants his own bed. 

Just now, itsheresomewhere said:

Maybe because your kids are nearing the age that one will want his own space.   I know with my friend her kids wanted bunk beds for a long time and did well until the oldest wanted his own bed space. He complained his brother made too much noise above him wiggling, breathing, etc.  Swapping places and the same complaints. Get bunk beds that can be separated so if in a year or two, the one wants his own bed. 

So, if they decide they don't want to share a room, then there's an easy solution to that.  We have a bedroom that one of them could move into.  They are adamant that they don't want to.  

But if I took off the door and put two twins in there, the beds would have to touch and be climbed over to access the closet.  I don't think that's the solution.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

So, if they decide they don't want to share a room, then there's an easy solution to that.  We have a bedroom that one of them could move into.  They are adamant that they don't want to.  

But if I took off the door and put two twins in there, the beds would have to touch and be climbed over to access the closet.  I don't think that's the solution.  

Get bunk beds for now, and if they want to switch later you can sell them on facebook marketplace or what not. Or one can keep the bunk beds (for friend sleep overs) and the other get a new bed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I'm not trying to push one way or another. Just brainstorm and problem solve. I was thinking if the closet were a wide closet with double doors, part of the entrance would be covered, but the other half would be open. It sounds like that's not the case.

8 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Except mattresses cost hundreds of dollars.  So, grabbing a couple and then planning on replacing later with the right size doesn't seem like a solution.  

I'd get something you can reconfigure later.  An extra-long bunk bed set can be bunk beds, two twins, or a king-sized bed.  A daybed with a trundle that pulls out and pops up can be a twin bed, two twin beds, or a king sized bed.  A bunk bed-over-futon set up gives you lots of options too.  You only have to make sure your kids have a place to sleep right now.  I get that you don't want to waste money, but if you pick something with built in options you'll have flexibility later.  Maybe you'll buy another bed in 3-4 years, but you won't need to buy new beds all around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Personally I love bunk beds. For any age. It's about making the space work for you.

I have a very strong bias against things I have to put together at all, lol. Bunk beds do make a lot of sense for your space, but in your shoes I'd totally buy a used set on craigslist or facebook marketplace. I am the worst (and most irritable) putter-together of furniture in the universe, I think.

44 minutes ago, Ceilingfan said:

I have a very strong bias against things I have to put together at all, lol. Bunk beds do make a lot of sense for your space, but in your shoes I'd totally buy a used set on craigslist or facebook marketplace. I am the worst (and most irritable) putter-together of furniture in the universe, I think.

We're fine with assembly.  I don't want to build all the way from the beginning but I'm comfortable with assembly.

I think I found a bed that can get here on time, and that I like.  It holds 400 Lbs per bunk, which sounds sturdy.

https://www.wayfair.com/baby-kids/pdp/harriet-bee-bolles-solid-wood-standard-bunk-bed-by-harriet-bee-w003306453.html

Their walls are steel blue.  Their trim is white, and their floor is hardwood, darker than the natural, lighter than the expresso.

Any thoughts on what color bed to get?  I want to oder tonight

• Like 3

• Drama Llama changed the title to I need beds, yesterday, suggestions? Color question at the bottom

I tend to like gray (or white, but they are sold out) because it goes with most colors OK.  I picked up a gray bookcase at walmart years ago for my older - it was a sturdy one in a nicer finish (nice for walmart, not nice like solid wood).  Over time we got a second bookcase and then a headboard with some shelves built in.  Kid picked it out and still likes it many years later as a teen.  I can imagine them using it in a college/grad student apartment.  I'm kind of biased towards gray in other parts of my house, though.  

1 minute ago, Harriet Vane said:

The only one I wouldn't get is white as it can get dingy, fast. What other furniture will go in the room? Do you want to match to that?

I don't know if we'll bring over the dresser from the other house, or leave it there.  I haven't sorted that out.  Their dresser is wood between the color of the natural and the expresso.  

I think not white.

4 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I lean towards the wooden one as being sturdier and less creaky-squeaky. I've heard others offer the criticism that metal frames for bunkbeds feel quite rickety and shake a lot getting up and down or when moving in one's sleep. My kids had wooden lofts, though, so I have no personal experience with that. 

That said, cheap is always appreciated and kids do adjust to factors like the shaking or squeaking of the bed. When my parents divorced, we moved into a tiny apartment directly next to train tracks. My grandmother was worried about the train noise, but my mom said we would adjust. We totally did adjust. Slept through the train noise just fine. So if a nice-looking bunk bed that is blessedly cheap is what you go with, I love the color of the one you linked here. 

If you go with wood, I would lean towards the gray one because then you will not have dueling wood tones in the room. 

10 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Another option would be look at college style furniture where the xl twins can be bunked or lofted or even turned into an L shape with the foot of the lower bed under the foot of the upper bed (that is higher than norm but lower than a top bunk).

This works if you get a junior loft style for one bed.

8 hours ago, maize said:

This works if you get a junior loft style for one bed.

I can't find what we had in college...over 30 years ago.  They made into bunks, 2 twins, a regular twin plus a Jr loft, and lots of other configurations .  I was a hit in the dorm room with my tool box as everyone wanted to borrow my tools to change the layout of their rooms.

You’ve probably already chosen one since you wanted to order last night, but my vote is espresso. 

Also, I know you said you’d figure out dressers later, but I wanted to put in a plug for a very affordable, good, awesome piece of furniture we’ve loved for years in my kids’ rooms. We have 2, and I’d like a third. 
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-6-drawer-chest-black-brown-00360417/#content

For a quick replacement for dressers, you might consider cubbies - we've got cheap ones from wal-mart that we got to store toys when the kids were little and some nicer ones (their better homes and gardens line a few years ago), bought at different times.  There are wire cubby sets that can be used in different configurations - I had some in college and got a set for one kids' closet.  You can use them, maybe with bins for underwear and socks and thenc stack sweatshirts, tshirts, and jeans on the open shelf for now, and then if/when you get more traditional furniture you can repurpose them for book storage or even just disassemble them if you use the wire kind.  

Edited by Clemsondana

8 hours ago, mmasc said:

You’ve probably already chosen one since you wanted to order last night, but my vote is espresso. 

Also, I know you said you’d figure out dressers later, but I wanted to put in a plug for a very affordable, good, awesome piece of furniture we’ve loved for years in my kids’ rooms. We have 2, and I’d like a third. 
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemnes-6-drawer-chest-black-brown-00360417/#content

I got expresso.  I am very bad at telling how things might look, so I hope it looks good with the walls since we recently painted.

I really like that dresser.  I think I could fit one in the room.  It's 9.5' by 10', and there's either a window or a door that swings in (note like a bifold closet door but a regular door) on every wall, so finding space is challenging.  The one they had before was double side by side so it fit under the window. 

Fortunately my kids are pretty minimalist other than legos and sports equipment that we store elsewhere. 

• Like 4

Those chests are nice, too, because the drawers are *deep*. They really hold a lot! The top drawer is super deep, and then the others are still deeper than ‘normal’, imo. My 11 and 13 year olds actually share one still. 

I think the espresso will look nice with your wall color!

5 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Those chests are nice, too, because the drawers are *deep*. They really hold a lot! The top drawer is super deep, and then the others are still deeper than ‘normal’, imo. My 11 and 13 year olds actually share one still. 

I think the espresso will look nice with your wall color!

I might get one.  I just need to measure the space between the two doors.  

Those beds look so nice!! Great choice. 

I love a dresser but my son prefers to hang up almost all of his clothes. In his dorm, he hangs all shirts, hoodies, and pants and has two bins that go on the shelf above for socks, undies, and pjs. He has a big dresser at home but when he was packing for college we found that it held mostly the too small or things he doesn’t actually wear… (so I’m just saying a dresser isn’t an emergency!) 

5 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I got expresso.  I am very bad at telling how things might look, so I hope it looks good with the walls since we recently painted.

I really like that dresser.  I think I could fit one in the room.  It's 9.5' by 10', and there's either a window or a door that swings in (note like a bifold closet door but a regular door) on every wall, so finding space is challenging.  The one they had before was double side by side so it fit under the window. 

Fortunately my kids are pretty minimalist other than legos and sports equipment that we store elsewhere. 

I think espresso will look very nice, a bold contrast to the lighter colors. 

I have a couple pieces from the Hemnes line and I've been really happy with them.

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I think espresso will look very nice, a bold contrast to the lighter colors. 

I have a couple pieces from the Hemnes line and I've been really happy with them.

We have an entire living room of hemnes stuff and it definitely has held up well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

If the closet door swing is an obstacle, you can remove it and put up a curtain over that door. 

I guess I feel like if it ain't broke don't fix it? It's possible I could do some origami and get 2 beds in there, but they aren't asking for 2 beds.  I'd rather make my 11 year old climb a ladder than make me climb over a bed to get to the closet to hang something up.  And yes, my kids do their own laundry etc . . . but sometimes you wanna go in your kids' closet.

Anyway, bed's ordered.  Mattresses are ordered.  I'm sure we'll be fine. Or if we aren't fine the issue won't be the beds. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I guess I feel like if it ain't broke don't fix it? It's possible I could do some origami and get 2 beds in there, but they aren't asking for 2 beds.  I'd rather make my 11 year old climb a ladder than make me climb over a bed to get to the closet to hang something up.  And yes, my kids do their own laundry etc . . . but sometimes you wanna go in your kids' closet.

Anyway, bed's ordered.  Mattresses are ordered.  I'm sure we'll be fine. Or if we aren't fine the issue won't be the beds. 

I don't blame you.  Also, if it's an obstacle course to get from point A to point B they'll be less likely to put things away in a timely manner.  I saw an image of a room with two murphy beds today and thought of this thread.

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

I don't blame you.  Also, if it's an obstacle course to get from point A to point B they'll be less likely to put things away in a timely manner.  I saw an image of a room with two murphy beds today and thought of this thread.

Well, until last weekend they were living in a room that's huge and has no obstacle courses, and they just kept their clothes, other than church clothes, in 2 laundry baskets, one dirty, one clean.  So, I don't actually think it's mathematically possible that they'll be LESS likely to put them away.  

• Haha 4