Menu

Blender recommendations

Teaching3bears

My first Vitamix is now at least 15 years old; it was handed down to DS who uses it daily for smoothies. My second one is 4-5 years old and also used daily for smoothies (including lots of seeds, ice cubes, frozen fruit, sometimes almonds) as well as soups and sauces. Once, around 10 years ago, I was making sorbet with a ton of frozen fruit using the low speed and the motor stopped working. I called Vitamix and they said the motor is designed shut down before it burns out and to just leave it alone for a while and then start again. He also said not to leave it on low speed for long, the motor is designed to run best at high RPMs so the slow speed should just be used to get it started, and then dial right up to full speed. I followed the directions, it worked perfectly, and I've never had another problem with either machine.

• Like 2

Another vote for Vitamix. I adore mine. I didn't want to spend a ton of money so I bought a refurbished one through Vitamix. Comes with a 5 year warranty instead of the 7 yr for a new model. I honestly use it every day. Super easy to clean and really does the job well. I make smoothies every morning for my husband, grind up oats in it for baking, it can even handle chunks of Parmesan cheese and it makes velvety smooth soups. It is certainly an investment but totally worth it. 

• Like 1

I have a Vitamix so that is my recommendation, but it is expensive. 

DD23 got a Ninja blender from Costco (it is also available in many other stores/Amazon). She used it daily to make smoothies for 3 years and liked it. Since she grew up with a Vitamix she was used to having the extra performance. She upgraded to a Vitamix this year and definitely notices the quality difference. But at the end of the day.....both made great smoothies. 

• Like 1

If you are making that much smoothie seriously consider the Vitamix. You can try and get it used/refurbished/on sale. Save up and get it. I don't make many smoothies but there is a serious difference between the Vitamix and the other whatever blenders I've used in the past. 

1) It's makes quick work of most smoothies so even if you have to do more than one batch it's not a lot of time. There is a noticeable difference in texture.

2) Cleaning is I put a cup of water or soapy water and run it again. Then I take it to the sink and rinse it out and clean the cap.

We liked it so much we even got the Vitamix immersion blender. I would also highly recommend that.  

I am a very frugal person and never thought I would buy an expensive blender.  But, several years ago I asked for a Vitamix for a nice gift.  I am amazed at how well it works and how easy it is to clean.  I have a low-end Vitamix; I don't need to push a button and have it blend for a preset time--in 30 seconds I am not going to go off and do laundry and need the blender to turn itself off.   I am now convinced that if I ever needed to replace it, I would do without before I bought a lower-end blender (other than a hand-held immersion blender).