Menu

Homeschool Science Options - is TGTB a mess?

This year, my 3rd and 4th graders are using Memoria Press Astronomy for their science.  It's alright, and I 100% understand MP's elementary approach to science.  Before I made that choice, I'd purchased a few units from TGTB The Good and the Beautiful.  I thought they looked wonderful, but some described them as a "hot mess."  I ended up selling the physical products.  

MP's Astronomy is going okay, but I think we'd really enjoy a colorful curriculum.  I am considering using TGTB after all.  I have looked a bit at Apologia, but it says to use a book for the entire year--  When I see something wordy and lacking illustrations, it doesn't interest me for science at this level.  I consider it an "other" class at this age.

I'm simply looking for elementary/middle school options.  

• Like 1

I don't use textbooks or any formal science program for K-first high school level science.  My kids read books on topics of interest.  They might read about bees on week and volcanos the next.  I don't try to systematize their reading.  The main goal of elementary/middle school science is to spark interest and expose them to concepts.  Whole books on topics go into greater depth than textbooks and are typically written by people who are passionate about their topics.   (FWIW, I have kids who have gone on to major in chemE, physics, occupational therapy, and atmospheric science who have been solidly prepared for their majors and graduated (or are currently college students) with honors.)

• Like 5

Have you looked at Nancy Larson Science? Everything (mostly) comes in the box. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. Oak Meadow for middle school is also a good option.

For middle, I have one that enjoyed the Tiner series immensely. We didn't use any of the MP or Masterbooks products with it. He simply read and did the little chapter quizzes. We used it as interest led reading, like 8 was saying she does. Other great titles/dvds are Joy Hakim's History of Science 3 book series, DK Eyewittness books and videos (try YouTube), The Way the World Works videos, Magic School Bus (THE classic for elementary), Wild Kratts videos, Adventure Agents, The Blue Planet videos, Planet Earth videos, watching volcanoes erupt via YouTube, etc. (seeing the theme here? We like visual.) We have dug up plants, looked at leaves, watched animals and bugs (Shudder!), visited the butterfly sanctuary, collected more nature items than I want to remember, rubbed tree bark, learned every bird we saw, gazed at the heavens, and dived into the deep with dolphins and whales. This broad overview has inspired more learning than any formal curriculum we tried.

Also, did you try TGTB units first before ditching? As I am sure you are aware, homeschools differ so widely that a "hot mess" for one might just be THE One for someone else. Ya' never know until you try.

• Like 1

You could also suppliment your not colorful curriculum with Generation Genius | The Next Generation in Science Videos. I found it easier to suppliment with their videos than the Mystery Science. The Generation Genius videos are like long well produced you tube videos. It was easier to search to find the right video that correlates with the topics. I could look up volcanos and there would be a video on volcanos, or rock cycle, or composition of the planet earth. Whereas there is more chance in Mystery Science volcano topic is buried in the general topic natural disasters. 

I like both and Magic School Bus. You could also get a good encyclopedia to get a little more visuals into your science lessons.

Thank you all for some suggestions I'd not heard about or discovered!  I have started to look at some of them.  I am definitely intrigued by Unit Studies and diving deeper into a few topics vs. studying one all year or studying many throughout the year.

As for TGTB, I did not think it looked like a mess at all, but I also hadn't actually implemented it into our homeschool.  But I read comments from those who had used it, and unfortunately, I still fall into the trap that I let other people's experiences influence my decisions.  

This super charged science in particular interests me.  It looks like it has single subjects, and I wonder if we could do 2-3 a year?

23 minutes ago, KrisTom said:

This super charged science in particular interests me.  It looks like it has single subjects, and I wonder if we could do 2-3 a year?

We own several of the SCS dvds.  I really hate the aggressive sale emails, though, and they taint the program for me.  In contrast, Mystery Science also sends out emails but most of the time they are mini-investigations to be a hook and show what their program is like.  Even though we stopped using the program, we enjoy their tidbits each week and I would gladly tell anyone our experience with their program.

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

We own several of the SCS dvds.  I really hate the aggressive sale emails, though, and they taint the program for me.  In contrast, Mystery Science also sends out emails but most of the time they are mini-investigations to be a hook and show what their program is like.  Even though we stopped using the program, we enjoy their tidbits each week and I would gladly tell anyone our experience with their program.

I got that same vibe.  I am going to look into the TOPS! Thank you. )

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Adding, if you're into units, you should look at TOPS Science and Math units.  They're usually pretty good, but you need a chance to gather materials before you start. https://topscience.org/collections/elementary

Agreeing -- the gathering of supplies for TOPS can be a real pain, which is the big downside of TOPS to me. A number of the units used to have a supply kit that you could purchase separately, but it looks like fewer of the units offer a matching supply kit, now. Also, some units work a lot better than others. We only used some of the middle/high units (definitely a few fails in that level, but also some good units)...

BUT, I have heard good things about these TOPS units for elementary ages:
#32 - Electricity + supply kit!
#38 - Radishes
#39 - Corn and Beans
#72 - Lentils (it's actually a unit study using lentils as the base item in the projects for Math/Science/Soc. Studies/Art)

A few other possible options:

Sonlight: Science C (gr. 3-5)
- pricey, but it's enough for 1 year and includes books, supply kit, Discover & Do videos, teacher guide & schedule
- covers various science topics so you can treat it like unit studies: forces & interactions; life systems & cycles; weather & climate; engineering design

Moving Beyond the Page (age 8-10)
- also pricey, but another 1 year program; buy as a complete package, or as a la carte: teacher guides; books; kits
- covers 4 concepts, each with 2 units: Interdependence (dirt & plants; ecosystems & ecology); Force & Power (magnetism & electricity; forces of nature); Similarities & Differences (rocks & minerals); Exploration & Survival (animal adaptations; work/tools/simple machines)

Elemental Science: Sassafras Science Adventures (gr. K-5 / gr. 1-6)
- 2 books = 1 year; 7 books, eventually to be an 8-book series; a few books have an optional additional supply kit, and some have lapbooking option
- covers 1 general science topic per book, so it would NOT be like doing units

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 7:01 PM, 8filltheheart said:

I don't use textbooks or any formal science program for K-first high school level science.  My kids read books on topics of interest.  They might read about bees on week and volcanos the next.  I don't try to systematize their reading.  The main goal of elementary/middle school science is to spark interest and expose them to concepts.  Whole books on topics go into greater depth than textbooks and are typically written by people who are passionate about their topics.   (FWIW, I have kids who have gone on to major in chemE, physics, occupational therapy, and atmospheric science who have been solidly prepared for their majors and graduated (or are currently college students) with honors.)

Yes, we did this too. I made a nice long list of science topics and steered some of our reading and hands-on exploring to make sure we weren’t skipping whole areas. FTs to the zoo, planetarium, nature center, owl sanctuary, science fairs etc. added fun and a social dimension. We were lighter on chemistry and physics than other things, but it hasn’t seemed to be a problem now that my kids are teens. I picked up a few ideas from curriculum books I got at thrift or as hand-me downs. My kids did enjoy the MSB and Wild Kratts, PBS’s Nature, Planet Earth etc.

It was easy to do science in this relaxed way! 

• Like 2

I just taught the space unit in a co-op class and it was a great framework and organizing structure. I didn't use all of the material and supplemented on some topics, but it was a good backbone.

I've used some of the other units as well, in my own homeschool, and we've enjoyed them. I usually get a bunch of library books/games/videos on the topic to add a different dimension. 

• Like 2

I've used several of TGAB science units and quite like them! They are not textbooks as most would consider them, they are much more hands on and have stories integrated into them. The Marine biology is a free download so you can download it and see what you think before you buy them. Its so far the only science we've actually stuck with!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:01 PM, 8filltheheart said:

Just a quick note that TGAB is not a text book they are units studies 😉 Also I love they way you do science! 

• Like 1

We have done 3 TGTB science units and I think grades 3-5 are the best for their units. Marine Bio and Water were fun. Meteorology was meh. Some are long and some are super short, and they require different amounts of parental involvement and tools. I'd atleast get the free Marine Bio and see if you like the style and pace.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

We have done 3 TGTB science units and I think grades 3-5 are the best for their units. Marine Bio and Water were fun. Meteorology was meh. Some are long and some are super short, and they require different amounts of parental involvement and tools. I'd atleast get the free Marine Bio and see if you like the style and pace.

I thought they looked pretty fun, but of course, I read reviews of it being "all over the place" and got scared, so I decided to go with the MP plan. I was also removed from their FB group for some odd reason, which gave me a bad taste.  But I cannot deny their materials look great.

4 hours ago, Ellie said:

I'm not sure I have heard of that. I will check it out. Thank you!

47 minutes ago, smfmommy said:

Rainbow Science could be a good option.  Colorful, covers basic bio/chem/physics over two years.  Although one of my kiddos read the book and didn't do much in the way of labs in a single middle school year.

Ooh colorful is good!  Thank you!  I haven't heard of this, either, so I will have a look!

Forgot one last option...

Exploration Education

It's strictly physical science, but it is a full year program, and there are 3 levels (gr. K-3; gr. 4-6; gr. 7-9). Your children straddle the levels, but you could either go with the younger level for a light exploration to use as you finish the school year, OR, go with the middle level and take your time and cover the end of this year and all of next year.

22 hours ago, son914 said:

Elemental Science has been a game changer for us.  Lots of options and you can buy a kit of hard-to-find items for the experiments.

I've looked at this a bit.  I really like the idea of being able to do units.  Is this curriculum colorful?

7 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Forgot one last option...

Exploration Education

It's strictly physical science, but it is a full year program, and there are 3 levels (gr. K-3; gr. 4-6; gr. 7-9). Your children straddle the levels, but you could either go with the younger level for a light exploration to use as you finish the school year, OR, go with the middle level and take your time and cover the end of this year and all of next year.

I will need to check this out!  Thank you.  

I've only used TGTB Marine Biology, which I loved.  And I have several other Marine Biology curriculums to compare it to.  It was shorter than all the others, but the writing was good, the organization was good, and the activities were great.

Here's how other curriculum compared: 

While TGTB had  less content than Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day, what was there was more accurate and more well written.  I also liked the lay-out of TGTB better.   It just looked nicer.

I love The Seaside Naturalist, but it was too long for my ADHD son's attention span.  

The Marine Biology Coloring book  by Thomas Niesen is NOT for elementary kids (it seems aimed at High Schoolers, maybe even college age, though some middle schoolers would be fine with the reading level).   It's a real science text just with good technical illustrations that you color as part of the learning process. 

Edited by goldenecho
typo

6 hours ago, Spirea said:

@KrisTom

Hey, I'm not sure where you're located, and I'm not sure if they are available with the dragging pandemic. It occurred to me that you might really benefit from a homeschool convention where you can look at materials in person. You might want to see if anything like that is available close to you.

I would love to go to one!  I've been avoiding events like those due to the pandemic.  We might have one that isn't too far away.  🙂

5 hours ago, goldenecho said:

I've only used TGTB Marine Biology, which I loved.  And I have several other Marine Biology curriculums to compare it to.  It was shorter than all the others, but the writing was good, the organization was good, and the activities were great.

Here's how other curriculum compared: 

While TGTB had  less content than Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day, what was there was more accurate and more well written.  I also liked the lay-out of TGTB better.   It just looked nicer.

I love The Seaside Naturalist, but it was too long for my ADHD son's attention span.  

The Marine Biology Coloring book  by Thomas Niesen is NOT for elementary kids (it seems aimed at High Schoolers, maybe even college age, though some middle schoolers would be fine with the reading level).   It's a real science text just with good technical illustrations that you color as part of the learning process. 

Thank you so much for sharing!  That is good to hear that you enjoyed those units.  I really like how Apologia looks, too, but I love the idea of a few in-depth units vs. one year of the same or....year after year of general science. I think if we choose one in depth a year, it better have some color.  This Astronomy is often just somewhere in the background of what we are doing.  I subscribed to a magazine and have a few things to make it more interesting, but it just is what it is.