Menu

Covid and food safety

chocolate-chip chooky

While I'm trying to minimise this situation as much as possible, there are a couple of times in our week when I need to buy lunch while we are out.

What do you think is the safest Covid-wise?

1. Order Subway online and pick up. Minimal contact with people, and super fast in and out, but one Subway worker has been hovering over our food. They should be masked, but I can't know if they mask well.

2. Go into a grocery shop or convenience shop and buy something packaged from the deli section. The food will be unbreathed on, but I'd definitely cross paths with more people.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

OH man that stinks.  Grocery pick up is the best thing.  Do you have it around you at all? 

We have our groceries home-delivered, which is great, because I have no contact with anyone.

I know some retailers here have a service called 'click and collect', but I always opt for home delivery if possible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I bring croissants in a ziploc bag. It’s almost 8pm here and the temp is about 12 degC right now. The croissants stay around room temp in our car. 

Our issue is heat. and the limited space in our esky.

Today, for example, my daughter and I need to have two meals out. We packed food from home for one, but need to buy the second. The esky is full of water bottles and freezer packs and meal #1. I should consider a second Esky.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Our issue is heat. and the limited space in our esky.

Today, for example, my daughter and I need to have two meals out. We packed food from home for one, but need to buy the second. The esky is full of water bottles and freezer packs and meal #1. I should consider a second Esky.

For two meals out in summer, we had packed a long loaf of sliced bread and multiple cans of pull tab sardines in different flavors. 

For hot meals, we just go to the supermarkets with few customers and buy from the hot deli. Else we do Chinese takeout. 

• Like 1

I think your best option is to buy another cooler and pack more food. 😊

Of your two choices, I like the online order, run in and pick up option. I would go with Subway.

Is there any restaurant or store with curbside delivery? I’m surprised at the places that offer it, so it could be worth a look.

I’m not too worried about food safety or surface transmission. We wash our hands before/after eating, but it’s really the airborne part that worries me. So less time in a shop is good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

I am out with my family from 8 AM to 9 PM on the weekends. I pack all our food. I pack PB&J sandwiches, tangerines, grapes/bananas and nuts which can stay at room temperature in one bag.

I pack another hot meal in the cooler - it is either pasta, paninis or burritos - I make them the previous night and heat in the morning and pack inside the cooler.

We eat the hot meal at 11:00 AM. The cold meal is our early dinner. When we come home at 9 PM if anyone is still hungry, they can always eat a lot of snacks or leftovers or drink a glass of milk.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

Of your two choices, I like the online order, run in and pick up option. I would go with Subway.

Is there any restaurant or store with curbside delivery? I’m surprised at the places that offer it, so it could be worth a look.

I’m not too worried about food safety or surface transmission. We wash our hands before/after eating, but it’s really the airborne part that worries me. So less time in a shop is good.

Yep definitely for pizza and probably other things.

• Like 2