Menu

January- Healthy Eating Challenge- Week 1

Soror

19 hours ago, Spirea said:

A smoothie is such an improved way of eating Oatmeal. I hate eating a bowl of oatmeal.

LOL- I actually love oats- steel cut oats with some fruit and nuts-- yummmy!! I had lots of icky rolled oats- over cooked and nasty growing up so I don't usually care for them unless they are made into pancakes, waffles, muesli, or granola.

15 hours ago, Selkie said:

Breakfast was pea shoots plus my muesli concoction of the day (muesli, mashed white beans, walnuts, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, diced apple, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk).

Lunch was leftover spicy ginger stir fry with tempeh over riced cauliflower.

Dinner will be creamy lentils and shells with roasted broccoli.  https://monkeyandmekitchenadventures.com/creamy-lentils-and-shells/

If I have a snack, it will be Cara Cara oranges and a WellBean bar.

I'm guessing the white beans don't really have a flavor mixed with all of the fruit and seeds? I've seen recipes like this but not been brave enough to try it. To you freshly chop everything each day or do it in batches? 

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Today:

Lunch: mushroom porridge, one veggie sausage and one egg, lots of veg - broccoli? Home made fat-free yoghurt with fresh mandarin.

Snack: Marmite quark with apple

Supper: lamb steaks (Husband ended up making fish stew for last night) with some kind of veg

ETA: my home-made yoghurt is working now.  I hadn't made it since moving to Scotland (I last made it in China) and the ambient room temperature from which the milk was starting was causing the wrong balance of bacteria from the starter growing in the yoghurt: it was coming out weird and sticky/stringy.  I never used to check the temperature when I added the starter - I just used UHT milk at room temperature - but last night I warmed and checked it, and today's yoghurt is normal.  It had never occurred to me!

I have a terrible time fermenting in my house. I can do yogurt in the IP now without issue but when I've tried doing Keifir, Kombucha, and veggies every time it has went off. Before the house burned I did yogurt in my oven with a light but I haven't ever been able to get it to work in the new house and oven. When I got the IP I tried it in there and it was easy and worked well so I just use it when I want to make some. I go through spurts of making it and buying it. 

• Like 2

I hit my goals yesterday and 23/24 on the Daily Dozen list ( I use the app). I'm aiming for all of them today! Last summer I hit them all for maybe 6 or 7 weeks I think. Working on getting so much good food in crowds out the not so good choices.

I started eating earlier than usual today as I already did my lifting. 

Smoothie after lifting (1/2 banana, flax, pb, cocoa, unsweet almond milk,  bit of greek yogurt, partial serving protein powder)

brunch: I think will be granola, yogurt, and blueberries but we'll see

late lunch: falafel w/ sprouted grain/bean mix, topped with veggies and some homemade hummus

dinner: ??? looks like it will be just dh and I- so I might change it up- might get take out for a "date"- if so I'll get a salad of some sort

imperial.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Soror said:

LOL- I actually love oats- steel cut oats with some fruit and nuts-- yummmy!! I had lots of icky rolled oats- over cooked and nasty growing up so I don't usually care for them unless they are made into pancakes, waffles, muesli, or granola.

I'm guessing the white beans don't really have a flavor mixed with all of the fruit and seeds? I've seen recipes like this but not been brave enough to try it. To you freshly chop everything each day or do it in batches? 

I have a terrible time fermenting in my house. I can do yogurt in the IP now without issue but when I've tried doing Keifir, Kombucha, and veggies every time it has went off. Before the house burned I did yogurt in my oven with a light but I haven't ever been able to get it to work in the new house and oven. When I got the IP I tried it in there and it was easy and worked well so I just use it when I want to make some. I go through spurts of making it and buying it. 

Can you make dairy free yogurt in the IP?

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Can you make dairy free yogurt in the IP?

Yes. I have experimented some but not very great results. It is a learning curve. I usually do the dairy version and it is set and forget and that had a learning curve too.

But I do have some links I have looked up and saved. I have not gone into them very deep and not experimented with them. Goals for this year.

Soy yogurt seems to be the most popular and easy based on my very, very limited research. I experimented with coconut milk (canned that you get in grocery store). Did not like it. Vegan yogurt is what I look for non-dairy yogurt. It really is easy once to get the hang of it but it is a bit of a learning curve especially with the starter needed.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Soror said:

I don't notice the beans at all. I use cannellini beans and they have such a mild taste that they just blend right in with everything else.

For my morning muesli, I just chop things up right then and there. It usually only takes a couple minutes. For salads, twice a week I cut up veggies and roast some of them. My fridge pretty much always looks like a big salad bar.🙂

• Like 4

I had a lemon poppyseed WellBean bar on my way out the door to an appointment this morning.

When I got home, I had several handfuls of pea shoots and my usual muesli (with white beans, walnuts, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, apple, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, walnut milk).

Lunch was mixed greens with quinoa, black beans, red pepper, sweet potato, and pumpkin seeds.

For dinner, I'm cleaning out the freezer and using up food that didn't get eaten on New Year's Eve - veggie wings (made from soy, so I will count this as my third serving of beans) and samosas. And a big salad to go along with it.

I will definitely be eating some citrus today, too, because my fridge is full of several delicious varieties.

• Like 4

On 1/5/2022 at 9:08 PM, Longtime Lurker said:

Today was a total fail, unless you count the single apple slice I ate while slicing DS's apple or the mushrooms on my Culver's mushroom swiss burger picked up curbside on a short venture into the snowstorm with DD. I blame the snow day 🙂 All of our usual routines were thrown off.

I didn't even bother to post yesterday as it was another snow day...

Today was better: kiwi, Romaine and cherry tomato salad, cabbage cole slaw. And some other good stuff, but I am just focusing on the fruits and veggies for this.

• Like 1

I did my official 2022 weigh-in on Tuesday and realized I am 30 pounds from my goal weight. I am trying not to focus too much on what the scales say, yet I am also motivated by wearing a smaller size of clothes. And my neurologist is very fixated on the scales. 
My eating was pretty good this week. I made a vegan black bean and potato stew that was really good. 
One epic nutrition fail: gluten free pumpkin bread. I just cannot not eat it. If I could eat it in moderation, it would be okay. But I don’t eat it in moderation. I need to stop buying it. 
I had planned to attend our local farmer’s market tomorrow but it is suppose to be cold and wet and i don’t do well with that weather. (I get very stiff due to Parkinson’s.) I find it easier to plan healthy meals after going to the farmer’s market and planning meals off what I bought, as opposed to making a menu and going to grocery store. 

• Like 3

Friday meals/

This morning’s fasting time was brutal but I made it!  Bone broth 

Lunch-  scrambled eggs with mixed greens, ‘shrooms, onions and a bit of chicken. 1/2 flaxseed muffin. Bone broth. And a square of chocolate with a thin smear of p.b on top to make a “Reeses”. 

snack-  I was out of fruit (remedied at the grocery store tonight). So I had one gluten free matzo broken into pieces with some slices of cheese and pickles. This was a big mistake. Sugars went up. 

dinner-  the innards of a taco al pastor. Some refried beans.  About 1/4 c of Spanish rice. And dessert cuz it’s Friday night- a flan.   Amazingly my sugars weren’t that bad afterwards. Much lower than after the one matzo cracker. 

hard boiled egg 

• Like 2

Breakfast - Black tea. 1 c all bran cereal, 1/2 c frozen blueberries and 1/2 c whole milk

1 clementine

Lunch - big bowl leftover veggie and salmon soup

Snacks - 1 carrot, small apple, 12 Wasabi almonds

Dinner - 2 cabbage rolls (meat wrapped in cabbage and baked with tomatoes and sauerkraut) + the cabbage from 3 kid's, who didn't want their cabbage. Peas, cucumber salad, and 1/2 dinner roll

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spirea said:

What's this?

I like savoury oatmeal - we call cooked oatmeal porridge in the UK.The recipe is-

Saute around four cups of chopped brown mushrooms in olive oil and garlic. When they are still firm, add half a cup of pinhead oatmeal plus around 2 1/2 cups of veggie stock. Simmer for twenty minutes then season with salt and pepper and leave to cool. Refrigerate, then microwave a portion when needed.

Oatmeal was part of my bringing my cholesterol under control without medication.  So if I don't have breakfast, I try to add it to lunch. I also make courgette or aubergine porridge.

• Like 5

Saturday 

Lunch - mushroom porridge, scrambled silken tofu, lots of sauteed peppers. Fat free yoghurt with blueberries.

Snack - carrot sticks with Marmite quark.

Supper - @Soror's baked falafel, yoghurt tahini mint sauce, sauteed red and green cabbage, roast miso Jerusalem artichokes.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Saturday 

Lunch - mushroom porridge, scrambled silken tofu, lots of sauteed peppers. Fat free yoghurt with blueberries.

Snack - carrot sticks with Marmite quark.

Supper - @Soror's baked falafel, yoghurt tahini mint sauce, sauteed red and green cabbage, roast miso Jerusalem artichokes.

18 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Recipe?

Lol not "mine" it is from Cookie and Kate. Fwiw I used half the oil for cooking. I made it the first time with only dried parsley and it was still good. Both times I was sure it wouldn't stay together but it did. Watch out you have to presoak the chickpeas so plan ahead!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Soror said:

Lol not "mine" it is from Cookie and Kate. Fwiw I used half the oil for cooking. I made it the first time with only dried parsley and it was still good. Both times I was sure it wouldn't stay together but it did. Watch out you have to presoak the chickpeas so plan ahead!

I cooked chickpeas last night for hummus but they are too cooked for falafel, so the next batch of chickpeas, I'll try it. I haven't made falafel in a long time but I love it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I cooked chickpeas last night for hummus but they are too cooked for falafel, so the next batch of chickpeas, I'll try it. I haven't made falafel in a long time but I love it. 

I'd been having a hard time finding dried chickpeas, for some reason, but Husband tracked some down and I soaked overnight. Looking forward to it, and also to roast artichokes - one of my favourites 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I'd been having a hard time finding dried chickpeas, for some reason, but Husband tracked some down and I soaked overnight. Looking forward to it, and also to roast artichokes - one of my favourites 

We always steam artichokes. How do you roast them? Are these fresh whole artichokes?

• Like 1

Ok, I'm back! This is typically how my work weeks go...I'm so tired, exhausted, and frazzled by Thursday/Friday that lots of other things get dropped. Like any thought of entering food in MFP, doing yoga after work, or even checking in here. Anyway, it still wasn't too bad of a week. I'm not sure if I was hitting all my goals the last few days (probably too many calories yesterday, possibly not enough fiber), but my eating has still been a lot better than over break. We still have ice cream in the house which is a problem, but the fact that I haven't eaten it all yet means it has not been as big a problem as usual!

Anyway, weekends are for real cooking. Today I'll make homemade chicken stock and use it for chicken tortilla soup tonight. And there will be a frozen strawberry margarita with that, so we still have some indulgences here, but the balance is a lot better. On Saturdays I start with a mocha in the morning, but then I try to see how long I can go before I eat--I aim for about 11:00 and see if I can get away with just 2 meals and a healthy snack during the day.

• Like 2