Menu

January- Healthy Eating Challenge- Week 1

Soror

I thought we'd try weekly threads.

Everyone is welcome, this thread is not focused on any particular way of eating. 

Remember- SMART when making goals---

Specific

Measurable

Attainable

Relevant

Time based

This is a good place to share recipes, goals, challenges, successes, meal plans, eating logs---etc. etc.

And.... LET"S GO!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've finally came up with goals. Ya!  Over the years I've tried a variety of stricter woe to address health issues but lately I have gravitated towards intuitive eating focused on increasing the whole foods that make me feel good. I've noticed that no matter what WOE I'm doing (from Keto to vegan) the thing that makes the most difference is the amount of fruit and veg I eat. So, I'm putting my focus on increasing those good foods. I'm setting rather modest (for me) goals as the fall has been rather rough (won't go into that again). I know I feel the best eating 7-10 servings a day and hope to hit that but will consider it a win for the day if I hit the 5. 

My goals:

Minimum daily---

5 servings fruit and veg; 1 serving beans;; 1 serving whole grain; 1 serving nuts/seeds; 5 tall glasses of water

Weekly---1 serving fish

I'm aiming for mostly vegetarian eating for breakfast and lunch with meat for dinner. 

My one exclusion---I have an *ahem* issue with chocolate. I have no guilt over even daily indulgence, but it has increased way too much lately. I'm doing only homemade treats this month to break the habit and retrain my taste buds. 

• Like 4

Today's meal plan:

bfast- 1 pumpkin superhero muffin (before workout); nf greek yogurt with blueberries, pecans, and dried oats (after workout)

lunch: thai coconut soup - spices, garlic, ginger, chile, coconut milk, spinach squash, carrots, celery, onions and tofu served over brown rice: black bean brownies- Of course something chocolate 🙂 I love these- I just use 1/3 cup of choc chips in these

afternoon snack: smoothie- strawberry, acai, unsweet almond milk + flaxseed

dinner: cod (haven't decided how I'm cooking it yet); potato or sweet potato and green beans (I'm using up what I have on hand until shopping day on Tuesday)

might also have another piece of fruit in there w/ some macadamia nuts. 

I've got to make a batch of my lunch soup today as I used the last of my falafels yesterday, it should last 4 days. 

This makes me goals with- at least 7 servings of fruit/veg; 2.5 whole grains (oats in muffins, with yogurt, and in brownies)bean (1.5 tofu and brownies); nuts/seeds (almond meal in muffins, flax, pecans, maybe macademia) and my weekly fish

• Like 4

My aims are pretty much - going back to the eating that I normally do. So lots of veggies, including plant protein, plus locally-caught fish and a small amount of meat. I'm hoping to only eat breakfast on days when I'm running at lunchtime - for some reason I pretty much always end up eating at 1, 5 and 7.30 whether or not I eat breakfast, and then I gain weight.

Today -

lunch: quinoa and kale burger with leftover spring greens and salmon, plus home-made plain yoghurt and home-grown apple

Snack: raw carrots with Marmite-flavpured quark.

Supper: red cabbage and lentil tagine with whole grain couscous, topped with toasted cashews.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

I have so many bad habits and I’m not sure what I can realistically achieve, so I’d like to set small goals. For me right now that will be less fast food, more fruits and vegetables, no alcohol. I had leftover salad with chickpeas, roasted veggies and half a bagel for breakfast. 
I don’t have a plan for the rest of the day, that’s probably not a good sign😀

• Like 6

My overall goal for January is to get back to healthier eating patterns. I can do that when I have time to use My Fitness Pal--I have target numbers that work great for me WHEN I HAVE TIME TO PLAN MY MEALS (and when I'm motivated to stick to the plan). So anyway, I'll start off great this weekend, and then we'll see if during the week I can plan at night for the next day or if I have to wing it.

Daily number goals: 1500-1600 calories, 25 gm fiber min, 58 gm protein min, ≤12 gm sat fat, 4-5 fruits/veggies

Today's plan is in MFP and meets all the goals.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 6

I have a plan that works as long as I work it.  The last few days I have not worked it!   That stops now.   I feel rotten from the rotten eating.

--eat according to my meal plan...which is set and the foods are always in the house

--IF (right now it is eating from about 10-4 (at the latest 4)

--at least 80 oz of water daily

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ditto said:

--at least 80 oz of water daily

Hydration is a great goal too. I really have difficulty getting enough water in when I'm teaching because of the mask. I've been taking juices in my lunch for a little extra hydration, but I should work harder at getting more 0 cal drinks in. Tea might be nice.

• Like 3

Mixed goals here. Ds is home for another week, and it's terribly difficult to stick to anything when he's around. Dh treats it like an ongoing party. There's so much junk food in the house. That said, I am sick of the junk and have actually held a pretty moderate line through the holiday season. It helps that I am fully committed to being gluten free and dairy free--I have no desire to cheat because cheating is just. too. painful. And I think a lot of gf/df processed products taste nasty, so I usually feel like I need to either make the treats myself (time, effort) or go to one specific, much-beloved bakery that's totally out of the way of everything (also time, effort).

So, for this week, the thought is to keep holding that moderate line. One thing I am going to stop indulging in is canned soda--I hardly ever drink it, and I've had a few this week. I didn't even enjoy the most recent two--they tasted sugary and chemical to me. So why drink that nasty stuff.

After ds goes to school, I want to edge closer to a No-S diet. No junk. My two sugar indulgences tend to be beverages--tea (depending on which flavor) or coffee (with maple syrup)--or dark chocolate. I'm starting up my regular work schedule after a much-needed break, and work deadlines tend to drive poor choices on food, sleep, and exercise. So this month I'd like to simply hold steady on my regular healthy, moderate schedule without flinging it all into the wind and indulging when work is pressing. It would be a good idea for me to drink tea flavors that can stand up on their own without sugar as well.

• Like 7

Thank you for starting this. 

My overall goal is to eat vegetarian, locally grown, in season, as much as possible. I am growing sprouts and microgreens already and am planning on expanding on that, with the goal of being able to having something ready to eat every day. I slept in today as I stayed up much later than normal last night and I have been sick since Christmas Eve and needing more sleep. Lunch was a large salad - microgreens, sprouts, kale and herbs all from my garden/kitchen - carrots and lettuce from store. Topped salad with pecans, from farmer’s market. I have been snacking on fruit, as we are going out for Tex-Mex for supper. I will order vegetable fajitas. 

I live in a metro area in Texas. We have a fabulous farmer’s market that only allows vendors that grow or produce within 100 mile range. Last summer, about 50-75% of my food was fruits and vegetables from local growers. This is my first winter trying to eat more locally. The market is twice a month instead of weekly from now until end of March. I will be able to buy winter crops like kale, cabbage, sprouts, broccoli, etc., at the market. 

This all sounds lofty as I type it out. LOL But I have chronic health issues, with multiple autoimmune disorders and young onset Parkinson’s, and I am trying to heal my body. Three years ago, I was living on toast and rice, as that was all that I could get down. I am now trying to think of food more as nutrition, what can this food or that food do to support my healing. An extension of that is eating locally, in season, so items are as fresh as possible and I can know where my food comes from and how it has been grown. I am trying to grow some of my food, as well, as my body and energy allows. 

• Like 9

My goal in general is to lower my A1C. I’m not sure what my timeframe should be for getting it checked again. I’m also trying to heal. I hope cutting out sugar will help reduce inflammation. My muscle aches and joint pain have been flared up since Christmas. 

Second goal is to lose 4 lbs this month.

So far today I’ve had 1001 calories. 52g of protein. 29 net carbs. 70g of fat. 

Todays meals were

”Big Mac” on a lettuce bun. 4 ounces grass fed beef, cheese, thousand island, pickles and onions.

Dinner was the traditional southern NYD meal of turnip greens and hog jowl, black eyed peas, and cornbread. I didn’t eat the peas, but I did have one corn muffin. I picked the smallest out of the pan. That was 12 net carbs—less than I thought it would be. I also had 2 ounces left over pulled pork. 

I need to fix my macro targets, but I’m not sure what I want them to be. Oops it takes two screenshots. 

FB18A283-2238-4E27-9C95-B3D313DDF073.png

B75991AC-534C-4B5D-A981-282C4348B4C7.png

Edited by popmom
  • Like 6

This evening, I cleaned out my refrigerator  and my cabinets. Found several expired items that needed tossed, and also threw out the junk food that we’ve been eating way too much of during the holidays. 

Tomorrow I will eat better (not perfect, but better) since I haven’t meal planned yet. I did run to the grocery store to pick up a few things (salad, veggies, cuties, chicken), but I need to remember what I ate before when I was actually cooking. 

Looking forward to having this group to share with!

• Like 8

I love hearing everyone's goals and plans. 

Those talking about getting back in the habit and schedule really resonate with me! It is so hard when the schedule changes. It takes time to adjust to the new normal. 

Food went pretty much as to plan yesterday. I felt satisfied during the day but hungry by the time I ate breakfast this morning. I did not tear into my enormous stash of chocolate from Christmas. I stayed rather busy cleaning so it kept my mind off snacking (I'm working feverishly to deep clean before starting back to school tomorrow- ya for fresh clean starts).

I finished making up a menu until Tuesday using up what we have. I have to do the Tues-Tues menu next- I'm hoping to try some new recipes- especially some fish and vegetarian dishes and new ethnic dishes. 

Today's plan: 

steel cut oats w/ apple, pb, and cocoa nibs----- still hungry small bit of leftover baked cod and green beans

lunch: thai coconut curry soup w/ tofu, veggies, and rice; black bean brownie

snack: smoothie??? macadamia nuts, cuties

dinner: meatloaf, roasted potatoes and squash, side salad

• Like 5

Got my two power recipes going this morning. I made my baked oatmeal pan for this week's breakfasts (10 gm protein, 8 gm fiber, 1 fruit serving, 274 cal) and I also got Vegan Black Bean Soup going in the crockpot for dinner tonight and some lunches in the freezer (11 gm protein, 15 gm fiber, probably 1 veggie serving, 135 calories). Then I'll sit in a car for 4 hours for another airport run. Here's the soup recipe which I've posted before in various threads:

https://www.emilieeats.com/vegan-slow-cooker-black-bean-soup/#tasty-recipes-5614-jump-target

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 6

Just in case anyone is interested in exploring the Mediterranean WOE, there are a couple of resources out there for the start of the new year.Olive Tomato is starting a 30-Day "Challenge" which is more give hints, tips, explanations, and a recipe.  The Author is Greek and her food is yummy, comforting, and family friendly.  The Olive Tomato website is a great place to explore (and explore you must because it is rather haphazard in organization.  I've been "visiting" it for two years and I'm *still* finding informative posts from the past.)  

Another excellent is site is The Mediterranean Dish.  The Author is Egyptian and she presents dishes from all over the Mediterranean region.  The recipes are definitely more upscale and more time consuming than the previous site I mentioned.  But, she is putting together some "how to start" posts and I regularly visit for ideas.

Anyway, I'm putting together my menu for the week (still holiday mode) but I'm keeping my Med-Principles in mind.  Homemade Pizza (but with lots of veggies and a side salad!).  Main meal is midday. Evening meal is mainly yummy veggies.  Desserts are small portions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think we have finally gotten through all of the Holiday Treats! 

8:00am Breakfast-steel cut oats sprinkled with cinnamon,1/2 cup blueberries, 2 tablespoons of skim milk and 1 tablespoon of walnuts 

12:00pm -Lunch- 1 cup of homemade beef and bean chili with 1 tablespoon of shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top and a small sliced apple sprinkled with cinnamon 

snack -(if I am hungry)-Nonfat Greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon of berry compote (I originally made the compote to go on top of the cheesecake we had for the Holidays it is delicious with the Greek yogurt)

4:00pm - dinner (unless I change my mind to something else)- 4 oz grilled chicken with bbq sauce, vegetable stir fry ( cabbage, carrots, broccoli, onion, snap peas, & celery)

After dinner hot chocolate (1 cup skim milk with 1 serving of melted 60% cacao ghirardelli chocolate chips)

I find that I really love having the hot chocolate at the end of my day!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, VickiMNE said:

Just in case anyone is interested in exploring the Mediterranean WOE, there are a couple of resources out there for the start of the new year.Olive Tomato is starting a 30-Day "Challenge" which is more give hints, tips, explanations, and a recipe.  The Author is Greek and her food is yummy, comforting, and family friendly.  The Olive Tomato website is a great place to explore (and explore you must because it is rather haphazard in organization.  I've been "visiting" it for two years and I'm *still* finding informative posts from the past.)  

Another excellent is site is The Mediterranean Dish.  The Author is Egyptian and she presents dishes from all over the Mediterranean region.  The recipes are definitely more upscale and more time consuming than the previous site I mentioned.  But, she is putting together some "how to start" posts and I regularly visit for ideas.

Anyway, I'm putting together my menu for the week (still holiday mode) but I'm keeping my Med-Principles in mind.  Homemade Pizza (but with lots of veggies and a side salad!).  Main meal is midday. Evening meal is mainly yummy veggies.  Desserts are small portions.

Yes! I've been following both of those. I cooked fish from Med. Dish and green beans from Olive Tomato last night. I signed up for the 30 day challenge. I don't plan to follow it exactly but shift my eating that direction.

• Like 5

I had breakfast today because I was setting off on a 3-hour walk. I didn't pack a lunch and there wasn't much left at the shop when I got there. Not the worst day but not ideal.

Breakfast - porridge, yoghurt, pear

Walking snack - date and cashew bar - no other ingredients 

Lunch - chicken, tzaziki and salad in white wrap

Snack - raw sugar snaps and carrots with quark

Supper - leftover beef chilli, chickpea puree, courgette, grilled onions. Prunes to follow.

• Like 6

I ate breakfast today! Before 8am!  Seeded toast with Aldi’s chia and flax seed peanut butter and sliced banana.

I’ve been obsessed with that pb for a long time. It only comes in once in a while, and I have to stock up. It isnt as hard to stir as other no-sugar brands.  Sweetened pb now tastes gross to me. I couldn’t even eat our Christmas peanut butter cookies after making them with regular pb.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Got my two power recipes going this morning. I made my baked oatmeal pan for this week's breakfasts (10 gm protein, 8 gm fiber, 1 fruit serving, 274 cal) and I also got Vegan Black Bean Soup going in the crockpot for dinner tonight and some lunches in the freezer (11 gm protein, 15 gm fiber, probably 1 veggie serving, 135 calories). Then I'll sit in a car for 4 hours for another airport run. Here's the soup recipe which I've posted before in various threads:

https://www.emilieeats.com/vegan-slow-cooker-black-bean-soup/#tasty-recipes-5614-jump-target

Thank you for the recipe link.   It looks delicious!   I plan to make it this week.

• Like 2

I'll join. Last week, I was 16 lbs over my prepregnancy super fit state. Baby is 14 months. It's time to wean and for me to get fit.  My philosophy is lots of water (2 glasses when I wake up then anytime I feel hungry making sure I get 10/day), no added sugars, no white carbs and limit carbs in general. High fiber doesn't count as carbs for me, so plain Oatmeal is not a carb, since it's so much fiber. I hate Oatmeal but have had it for breakfast, for the past week every day except today. Most of the week, I just cooked in water and ate plain. I really hate it, so going to the effort of eating it both kills my appetite for a long time and keeps me from eating junk that would cancel the effort I made in eating oatmeal. Yesterday, I microwaved 1/4 c Oatmeal in water and then made a smoothie with half a banana, peanut protein powder and ice. It was pretty good, almost a peanut butter milkshake. Today, I did a real workout out for the first time in awhile, all strength training! I skipped breakfast and ate a big lunch at 11, a big salad with half an Avocado and 1/2 egg white (I scooped the filling out of a deviled egg). I had half a bell pepper later. Trying to eat as much salad and raw veggies as I can to be full and I haven't been hungry though I'm eating a lot less. I usually just work out and am not an extra dieter, but I want to lose as much fat as possible. I would give myself weekends off. Then I'll hopefully be working out enough to have a balanced lifestyle (including cookies) again. For dinner, I'm eating salad first, then more protein and veggies and little or no carbs. I floss, brush and waterpic my teeth immediately after dinner so I won't eat anything else.

I'm on the fence on whether to wait to weigh in and remeasure. If I don't lose enough I'll be unhappy, so maybe should weigh in before.  When I was super fit, I'd weigh in and measure at least every 2 weeks and found it encouraging. I think I should be able to make good progress quickly by watching my diet this way. I ate so many treats over Christmas. I'm sure I gained 5 lbs of this in the last month.

Eta. The 16 lbs is probably at least 20 lbs of fat I should lose. I was fit and had so much more muscle, which is heavier than fat, so though my numbers aren't huge, my size is much different than it should be on my frame.

Eta again. Also not eating dairy right now. Or Mayo or anything high fat that I can forgo.  I'm just dressing my salads with fresh ground pepper and red wine. Today, I also added some chipotle.

Edited by Spirea
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Spirea said:

I'll join. Last week, I was 16 lbs over my prepregnancy super fit state. Baby is 14 months. It's time to wean and for me to get fit.  My philosophy is lots of water (2 glasses when I wake up then anytime I feel hungry making sure I get 10/day), no added sugars, no white carbs and limit carbs in general. High fiber doesn't count as carbs for me, so plain Oatmeal is not a carb, since it's so much fiber. I hate Oatmeal but have had it for breakfast, for the past week every day except today. Most of the week, I just cooked in water and ate plain. I really hate it, so going to the effort of eating it both kills my appetite for a long time and keeps me from eating junk that would cancel the effort I made in eating oatmeal. Yesterday, I microwaved 1/4 c Oatmeal in water and then made a smoothie with half a banana, peanut protein powder and ice. It was pretty good, almost a peanut butter milkshake. Today, I did a real workout out for the first time in awhile, all strength training! I skipped breakfast and ate a big lunch at 11, a big salad with half an Avocado and 1/2 egg white (I scooped the filling out of a deviled egg). I had half a bell pepper later. Trying to eat as much salad and raw veggies as I can to be full and I haven't been hungry though I'm eating a lot less. I usually just work out and am not an extra dieter, but I have a birthday looming and I want to lose as much fat as possible before hand. I would give myself weekends off, but not until my birthday. Then I'll hopefully be working out enough to have a balanced lifestyle (including cookies) again. For dinner, I'm eating salad first, then more protein and veggies and little or no carbs. I floss, brush and waterpic my teeth immediately after dinner so I won't eat anything else.

I'm on the fence on whether to wait until my bday to weigh in and remeasure. If I don't lose enough I'll be unhappy, so maybe should weigh in before.  When I was super fit, I'd weigh in and measure at least every 2 weeks and found it encouraging. I think I should be able to make good progress quickly by watching my diet this way. I ate so many treats over Christmas. I'm sure I gained 5 lbs of this in the last month.

Eta. The 16 lbs is probably at least 20 lbs of fat I should lose. I was fit and had so much more muscle, which is heavier than fat, so though my numbers aren't huge, my size is much different than it should be on my frame.

Eta again. Also not eating dairy right now. Or Mayo or anything high fat that I can forgo.  I'm just dressing my salads with fresh ground pepper and red wine. Today, I also added some chipotle.

I wouldn’t wean to lose weight! 🙂 Keep nursing! I know it’s controversial whether bf’ing actually helps with weight loss, but it surely can’t hurt. :). I’m very pro extended breast feeding tho (for way more reasons than weight loss) so take this with a grain of salt. 🙂

• Like 4

My eating goal this week and as long as it takes is to get my tummy back to normal.  So my eating actually won't be as healthy. 

Breakfast - I did my usual two eggs and a half of a flaxseed muffin.  And bone broth.

Lunch - more bone broth.  Some brown rice and tuna fish.  I know that I should have added cooked veggies to that but I just got in last night from out of town and don't have enough groceries and those veggies I have are not ones that my tummy is loving at the moment.  I also had a couple of spoonfuls of coconut dairy free ice cream.

Snack - I had some trail mix.  I think that was a mistake but actually didn't seem to bother my tummy too much.

Dinner - more brown rice and tuna fish.

Evening snack to keep my blood sugars steady overnight:  a hard-boiled egg.

So looking over that it was pretty much protein with some carbs.  Tomorrow I will have to actually shop and/or cook something better.  (Though it depends a bit on if we are snowed in or not.)

PS - I'm trying not to feel guilty over having some brown rice.  I really can't handle the carbs but my tummy wants rice right now.  Of course who knows if my tummy is right. . .

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

Hmmph. I was up half the night with dd who had a toothache 😞 I did meal prep and cleaning in between trying to comfort her. I made chicken 3 ways- for stir fry, salad, and taco flavored. I also made rice and chopped the veggies for the stir-fry (planned for tonight). Taco chicken is for enchiladas tomorrow night. Salads are for lunches for dd (when she's up to eating) or anyone else). 

assuming my day doesn't get upended (who knows when we can get dd in and how long it will take)-

bfast- probably oats w/ blueberries and a smoothie/or scrambled eggs w/ leftover potato and squash

lunch-thai coconut curry soup w/ tofu and rice (spinach, carrots, chickpeas, celery, onion); black bean brownie

snack- ants on a log; oranges

dinner-stir fry- chicken, egg, rice, peas, broccoli, carrot, onion (might throw in some celery too)

Had some tortilla chips and salsa yesterday too but kept it to a serving size.

Still need to finish my menu, was too busy with school planning and dd. I used up my last potato and squash yesterday and chopped the last of the broccoli and carrots this morning. I have 1 large sweet potato to go with the enchiladas tomorrow. Other than that the only fresh produce left is- oranges, lettuce, tomatoes, green onion, onion, and celery. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, popmom said:

I wouldn’t wean to lose weight! 🙂 Keep nursing! I know it’s controversial whether bf’ing actually helps with weight loss, but it surely can’t hurt. :). I’m very pro extended breast feeding tho (for way more reasons than weight loss) so take this with a grain of salt. 🙂

She is not nursing well, down to basically twice a day except if she wakes at 1am and I don't realize the time, like last night:( She's also not nursing long. When I try to feed her before bed she's not interested. She's only nursing well when she's drowsy in middle of night or am. Last summer, I cut back my food intake very slightly and tried to work out, and I immediately dropped my milk supply and had to work hard to get it back. Right now, after a week of cutting calories, I'm still getting engorged because she isn't nursing.  I think she is about done. She loves to eat food and I think is too full to nurse at bedtime. She still doesn't sleep through the night and I don't want her to have attachment issues with extended nursing. She seems ready to be done and I'm OK with that. Maybe she'll start to sleep through the night and I can be rested and that would be amazing. Amazing.

• Like 4

B: Leftover Baked Oatmeal w/ Greek yogurt and quince compote

L: (main meal)  Turkish Poached Egg with Chili Oil and Yogurt sauce, l/o Greek Cabbage and Rice, Small piece of toast, Mandarins

Din:  Goat Cheese, Sourdough Crackers, Pears, Toasted almonds.

Edited by VickiMNE
  • Like 3

@Spireamy twins were like that, so I agree—it’s time. My twins would only nurse in the middle of the night. They were about a year old. And they would each wake at different times, so I was getting up twice. After a couple of months, I phased out those feedings. It’s a bittersweet time, but sleep is GOOD. 
My other two slept better and nursed much longer. They made it much easier. 🙂

• Like 3

My healthy eating plans have been derailed by a (presumed) glutening, so I’m managing the fallout of that. I’m on Day 2 of a no fat, easy to digest diet (low residue), but it’s not working so I’m going to do a two day clear liquid diet, then ease back into actual food day by day. This may take a few weeks to sort, but eventually I’ll be back to my regular eating plan.

Overall, my goals are to stick to my keto inspired diet and continue weight loss. I have 7 lbs to my goal weight, and this last bit has been so hard. 

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 5

I bought a new blood glucose monitor yesterday. my fasting today was 109, so I need that to come down. 

I may have to up my carbs a bit. I’ve had a terrible time with my legs aching. It may be that my electrolytes are messed up. I ate some bread yesterday, and I’m having less pain today. I think I read the ADA recommends up to 70 carbs per day?? I’ll double check that. I surely wouldn’t mind having some carrots and potatoes occasionally. 🙂

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, popmom said:

I bought a new blood glucose monitor yesterday. my fasting today was 109, so I need that to come down. 

I may have to up my carbs a bit. I’ve had a terrible time with my legs aching. It may be that my electrolytes are messed up. I ate some bread yesterday, and I’m having less pain today. I think I read the ADA recommends up to 70 carbs per day?? I’ll double check that. I surely wouldn’t mind having some carrots and potatoes occasionally. 🙂

Last I checked the ADA was recommending around 130 g carbs per day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My overall goal is to eat more fruits and vegetables. My goal for this week is to eat 3 servings a day of fruit and/or vegetables. I am all about setting a low bar 🙂 Today I had green peas, red grapes, and a clementine. More green vegetables would be better (are peas even a vegetable?), but, again, low bar...

• Like 4

I made a menu yesterday, mainly soup and salad combos for supper, with smoothies and leftovers for lunch. 
tonight we had homemade tomato soup and a salad with quinoa, roasted beets, spinach and carrots. I didn’t add cream to the tomato soup as the recipe called for, hoping that the Parmesan cheese would be enough creaminess. It wasn’t. It was good, but it needed something to cut the acidity. 
I had a grapefruit/strawberry/banana smoothie for lunch. It was a great flavor combo and one I would make again. I used almond milk, vegan protein powder and vegan collegian. 

I have just recently started writing out smoothie combos on my weekly menu, so I actually make smoothies instead of just buying random ingredients and then not using them. 

• Like 3

Breakfast-  my last full breakfast for awhile because my doctor wants me to do intermittent fasting. (Though I might have breakfast one weekend day)

two eggs, half flaxseed muffin, bone broth 

lunch- brown rice and tuna fish

bone broth

just a couple of tablespoons of trail mix while making dinner. 

dinner- chicken soup with onions, celery, carrots, butternut squash 

two squares of dark chocolate 

• Like 4

Today wasn’t bad given that I had lunch out with a friend and didn’t really plan well in advance.  Dinner tonight is salmon, cauliflower& broccoli, and a salad.

I definitely need to plan a little more diligently.  I also want to start entering my food into Cronometer, at least for a few weeks, so I can see what I’m generally eating.

Anne

• Like 4

Early morning snack - half banana. Black tea

20 min recov workout, semi sore from yesterday.

After workout breakfast, 1/4 c oats cooked in water. Another cup of black tea.

Mid morning - 1 fried egg and 6 pecans

Am I like a hobbit with 3 breakfasts?

Lunch - small serving leftover roast pork, saurkraut, gravy and one small dumpling

Mid afternoon snack - 1 clementine

2nd snack - baby carrots 

Dinner - salad with kidney beans, then egg crepes I cut up with sauce. Everyone else had manicotti made from the crepes. High egg and little flour so pretty low carb but very tasty.

I drank a lot of water today, at least 6 glasses before noon, then I quit counting.

• Like 5