Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

12 minutes ago, SHP said:

We both wear N95's. He is in a part of the house with seperate ventilation and take it off there and outside. I only take my mask off in our room.

If it were me, I would take a PCR today and if it comes back negative, consider myself clear. Just because I am how I am, I expect I would probably take a rapid every couple days until I was 10 days past last exposure as well. The above is how we did it when we had an exposure, but the difference was we didn’t continue being around the person because it wasn’t a member of our household. I hope your dh is doing better!

• Like 1

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, SHP said:

We both wear N95's. He is in a part of the house with seperate ventilation and take it off there and outside. I only take my mask off in our room.

We had a very similar situation/timing when my daughter had covid a couple weeks ago.  We felt in the clear at 5 days and we were.  It's a week since she tested negative now.  We also isolated her, venting that room out and running a couple air purifiers.  I set her food on a table outside the door.  She masked every time the door opened, I masked running up there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSera said:

If it were me, I would take a PCR today and if it comes back negative, consider myself clear. Just because I am how I am, I expect I would probably take a rapid every couple days until I was 10 days past last exposure as well. The above is how we did it when we had an exposure, but the difference was we didn’t continue being around the person because it wasn’t a member of our household. I hope your dh is doing better!

We are going to go get tested this afternoon, probably at CVS. My husband's work wants him to test on Sunday AND return to work on Sunday at either 3am or 7am. I am not sure they really thought that one through.

1 hour ago, catz said:

We had a very similar situation/timing when my daughter had covid a couple weeks ago.  We felt in the clear at 5 days and we were.  It's a week since she tested negative now.  We also isolated her, venting that room out and running a couple air purifiers.  I set her food on a table outside the door.  She masked every time the door opened, I masked running up there. 

I had more contact due to helping him with meds and monitoring his temperature. I was always masked in an N95 and when he was with it enough he was masked. We also ran the exhausts in that area to help with air quality. 

One of my coworkers just texted and said he tested positive this afternoon. I worked with him all morning sitting together in an ambulance.  His wife developed symptoms this afternoon so they both tested and are positive as is their 20 something son who lives with them. Both coworker and son are asymptomatic.

All three had the booster 3.5 weeks ago.

• Sad 12

56 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

One of my coworkers just texted and said he tested positive this afternoon. I worked with him all morning sitting together in an ambulance.  His wife developed symptoms this afternoon so they both tested and are positive as is their 20 something son who lives with them. Both coworker and son are asymptomatic.

All three had the booster 3.5 weeks ago.

That isn't very encouraging.  Ugh.  I hope you don't get it.

Can I get everyone's thoughts on spacing of flu and covid shots?   I had a bad reaction last year to a flu and covid shot on the same day, so I am into spacing them out for myself and kids just to be on the safer side.  Probably they would be totally fine. 

How far apart do you think I should space them?  Does it matter?  

Also if the kids had shots at a well child visit what would you space the covid and flu shots from that? 

Also how far apart for Covid boosters are you going for your kids?  Some of mine were boosted in May.  We haven't had covid that we know of.  I am leaning to boost them right now since that just became available for their age group.

Has anyone gone to get a booster for the 5-11 crowd yet?  Are you able to get the other brand?  My kids have had Pfizer and I would like to do Moderna, but I haven't heard anything about that yet for kids. 

Edited by mommyoffive

30 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Can I get everyone's thoughts on spacing of flu and covid shots?   I had a bad reaction last year to a flu and covid shot on the same day, so I am into spacing them out for myself and kids just to be on the safer side.  Probably they would be totally fine. 

How far apart do you think I should space them?  Does it matter?  

Also if the kids had shots at a well child visit what would you space the covid and flu shots from that? 

Also how far apart for Covid boosters are you going for your kids?  Some of mine were boosted in May.  We haven't had covid that we know of.  I am leaning to boost them right now since that just became available for their age group.

Has anyone gone to get a booster for the 5-11 crowd yet?  Are you able to get the other brand?  My kids have had Pfizer and I would like to do Moderna, but I haven't heard anything about that yet for kids. 

I am spacing my flu shot and Covid vaccine two weeks apart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am spacing my flu shot and Covid vaccine two weeks apart. 

Just coming back to say that is what the pharmacist at Walgreens just said too.   They said it is fine to get them both together or otherwise they recommend spacing them at least 14 days apart.   Does anyone know the logic of that? 

Also they said that kids could mix shots for covid boosters.  Hopefully it is that easy.

17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Just coming back to say that is what the pharmacist at Walgreens just said too.   They said it is fine to get them both together or otherwise they recommend spacing them at least 14 days apart.   Does anyone know the logic of that? 

Also they said that kids could mix shots for covid boosters.  Hopefully it is that easy.

I don’t know the formal logic but it was recommended that I do it that way so as not to overwhelm my compromised immune system. 

• Like 1

Is everyone getting their kids the bivalent booster?  I haven’t been following the data as extensively as I was prior.  

My younger kids didn’t get the 2nd booster, we were waiting until Aug to get the immune boosting right before activities ramped you in Sept and ended up getting Covid instead.  Thoughts on which boosters to get them? 

34 minutes ago, KSera said:

That January 2022 map!

Thinking about it more, I think what happened in January and then into spring of this year quite likely accounts for much of government’s changing calculus on this disease. I expect at that point they figured almost everyone had exposure due to infection and/or immunization and it was no longer as important to minimize spread. Unfortunately, the more time goes by, the more we seem to be learning about the increasing risk with multiple infections. It doesn’t seem to be a good plan for the long run.

I was looking at a pre-print of a study yesterday about this and someone in the comments wanted to know why people who had their second infection had a much higher rate of pre-existing conditions than those who had their initial infection. They thought that was a confounding factor, but that’s actually kind of the point: once someone’s had an infection, the chances that they go into their next infection now having a pre-existing condition goes way up. Some of those pre-existing conditions like some of the vascular damage that occurs with even minor infections is invisible to the person who has it unless/until it causes a problem. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, KSera said:

Thinking about it more, I think what happened in January and then into spring of this year quite likely accounts for much of government’s changing calculus on this disease. I expect at that point they figured almost everyone had exposure due to infection and/or immunization and it was no longer as important to minimize spread. Unfortunately, the more time goes by, the more we seem to be learning about the increasing risk with multiple infections. It doesn’t seem to be a good plan for the long run.

I was looking at a pre-print of a study yesterday about this and someone in the comments wanted to know why people who had their second infection had a much higher rate of pre-existing conditions than those who had their initial infection. They thought that was a confounding factor, but that’s actually kind of the point: once someone’s had an infection, the chances that they go into their next infection now having a pre-existing condition goes way up. Some of those pre-existing conditions like some of the vascular damage that occurs with even minor infections is invisible to the person who has it unless/until it causes a problem. 

I would be interested to see the study if you have a link.  

On 10/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, Heartstrings said:

Is everyone getting their kids the bivalent booster?  I haven’t been following the data as extensively as I was prior.  

My younger kids didn’t get the 2nd booster, we were waiting until Aug to get the immune boosting right before activities ramped you in Sept and ended up getting Covid instead.  Thoughts on which boosters to get them? 

We got covid in September.  My kids are teens, but I think we're waiting on booster till December, since My Neighborhood Epidemiologist recommended waiting a few months.  

Not that there's anything wrong with getting the booster.  But just that the disease gives you some level of protection for a few months, so I want to maximize the time we're protected (for a few months by the disease, then for awhile after that by the booster).  

• Like 4

On 10/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, Heartstrings said:

My 9 year old has an appointment Thursday to get his. It's Pfizer, mostly just because that's what they have. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 2:42 PM, Heartstrings said:

I have for some of my kids and will for the ones that just age wise just became eligible. 

On which booster do you mean Pfizer or Moderna? 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

We got covid in September.  My kids are teens, but I think we're waiting on booster till December, since My Neighborhood Epidemiologist recommended waiting a few months.  

Not that there's anything wrong with getting the booster.  But just that the disease gives you some level of protection for a few months, so I want to maximize the time we're protected (for a few months by the disease, then for awhile after that by the booster).  

3 of us had Covid the first week in Aug, so went with waiting 2 months to get the boosters.  My youngest didn’t get it then though, so she really needs the booster at this point.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

Yes. He hasn't had much reaction to any of the other doses, and the rest of us had flu/covid together and were fine with it. 

I chose the opposite for my kids because of my reaction to covid and flu at the same time last year.  I felt awful for 5 plus days.   I had never reacted to covid or flu shot.  I did mine separate this year and still was hit with some reactions after the Covid booster for 1.5 days.  I just got my flu shot and no reaction whatsoever. My older 4 kids are really busy and don't have time to be down for a few days.  They had some reaction to their booster the first time.  However, I wish I would have known the recommendation of 14 days between immunizations because I would have gotten my younger kids their Flu shot earlier so they could get the Covid booster now.  

Many stated have laws on the books about knowing spreading viruses. A throw back to AIDS. I wish these were enforced for COVID-19.

My husband is still positive and cannot return to work until he has a negative. He is out of sick time and using vacation time. The ONLY time he removes his mask is to eat. The person in the room when he ate lunch that day KNEW he had been exposed and was sick. I have a lot of not nice thoughts right now.

The impact it is having on the rest of the household is not insignificant.

I am off of work without pay due to not having PTO.

I am going to have to delay a much needed therapy I have been trying to get for over a decade that is FINALLY an option locally. 

I have been very very sick for three years.I need tests ASAP, I cannot be exposed to or positive for covid to have these tests due to the type of tests. These tests are to rule out a potentially life threatening illness and determine if I need heart surgery or just a minor procedure. 

If he continues to be positive or I catch it, I have to delay additional needed medical examinations and possibly another surgery.

• Sad 15

10 minutes ago, SHP said:

Many stated have laws on the books about knowing spreading viruses. A throw back to AIDS. I wish these were enforced for COVID-19.

My husband is still positive and cannot return to work until he has a negative. He is out of sick time and using vacation time. The ONLY time he removes his mask is to eat. The person in the room when he ate lunch that day KNEW he had been exposed and was sick. I have a lot of not nice thoughts right now.

The impact it is having on the rest of the household is not insignificant.

I am off of work without pay due to not having PTO.

I am going to have to delay a much needed therapy I have been trying to get for over a decade that is FINALLY an option locally. 

I have been very very sick for three years.I need tests ASAP, I cannot be exposed to or positive for covid to have these tests due to the type of tests. These tests are to rule out a potentially life threatening illness and determine if I need heart surgery or just a minor procedure. 

If he continues to be positive or I catch it, I have to delay additional needed medical examinations and possibly another surgery.

I’m so sorry. I hope your dh tests negative very, very soon and you stay clear so you can get the treatment you need. What day is he on and are his tests getting lighter yet?

15 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m so sorry. I hope your dh tests negative very, very soon and you stay clear so you can get the treatment you need. What day is he on and are his tests getting lighter yet?

Day 8. His work will not accept home tests. 

3 minutes ago, Starr said:

Do they only accept PCR test? or can you get an antigen test at the pharmacy?

Every time we have gone to the pharmacy and requested both they never do the antigen, just the PCR and it takes 24-48 hours to get the results.

Almost all the local testing places have shut down. 

• Sad 4

SHP I am so sorry! It is incredible that your DH's employer is keeping him out of work, but asking him to use vacation time!! (I think we should be able to stay home when sick, especially during a pandemic, but it shouldn't have to come out of vacation time)

• Like 2

He has to go be tested daily at this point. His test on Sunday morning didn't come back until this evening. He has to report the results before the person leaves to be able to return the next day so even if he had been negative he wouldn't be able to return to work tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Mom_to3 said:

SHP I am so sorry! It is incredible that your DH's employer is keeping him out of work, but asking him to use vacation time!! (I think we should be able to stay home when sick, especially during a pandemic, but it shouldn't have to come out of vacation time)

He is out of sick time so has to move to vacation time. Once that is gone he has to go on short term disability, assuming positive covid tests are still covered for use.

• Sad 5

8 hours ago, SHP said:

He is out of sick time so has to move to vacation time. Once that is gone he has to go on short term disability, assuming positive covid tests are still covered for use.

A PCR test doesn’t work for telling when someone is no longer contagious at the end of illness, so it makes no sense for them to use it that way. Has everyone else really tested negative on their PCR before going back? Some people test positive on PCR for months, but they are negative on rapid and not contagious; PCR can detect non viable viral fragments. On day 8, chances are decent a rapid would be positive anyway, but it’s likely he would be negative within a couple more days. After ten days do they still require a negative PCR?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KSera said:

A PCR test doesn’t work for telling when someone is no longer contagious at the end of illness, so it makes no sense for them to use it that way. Has everyone else really tested negative on their PCR before going back? Some people test positive on PCR for months, but they are negative on rapid and not contagious; PCR can detect non viable viral fragments. On day 8, chances are decent a rapid would be positive anyway, but it’s likely he would be negative within a couple more days. After ten days do they still require a negative PCR?

Everyone else is required to be negative. 

They didn't give a crap about preventing this so I do not think they have the high ground to demand anyone, especially the ONLY cautious person who was still masking, be covid free prior to returning to work. If they cared about preventing the spread they would write up or fire the person who gave it to my husband and/or the person who was the first one with it. 

• Like 6

I had a faint positive on a RAT test this morning and my symptoms have gotten progressively worse today, including major brain fog, so please be patient with me. Fever of 101.3, shivering chills, runny nose, raging headache. What are the quarantine rules these days? 5 days from onset or 5 days after last day of symptoms? Tylenol or Motrin for fever and headache? I think I remember one was better than the other. Is 12-hour Sudafed ok tonight? 

Any other suggestions for medications / food / etc. I live alone so doing this solo, but can get grocery delivery. Explain like I’m 5 please, (see brain fog above!)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

What are the quarantine rules these days?

Best thing to do is wait until your RAT is negative before going out. While it's 5 days without symptoms, you'll still likely be infectious after that. 

Suggestions - get a mouthwash and a nasal spray and use several times a day to reduce the viral load. I assume you're in the USA so someone from there can probably recommend brand names to you. I think they've decided medications are fine to make yourself feel better. I've no idea on the latest with vitamins etc, someone else may be able to recommend. Lots of fluids so you don't dehydrate, and if you're living alone, get someone to at least call to check on you, just in case. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I had a faint positive on a RAT test this morning and my symptoms have gotten progressively worse today, including major brain fog, so please be patient with me. Fever of 101.3, shivering chills, runny nose, raging headache. What are the quarantine rules these days? 5 days from onset or 5 days after last day of symptoms? Tylenol or Motrin for fever and headache? I think I remember one was better than the other. Is 12-hour Sudafed ok tonight? 

Any other suggestions for medications / food / etc. I live alone so doing this solo, but can get grocery delivery. Explain like I’m 5 please, (see brain fog above!)

Call or email your doctor first thing in the morning to see if you qualify for Paxlovid. 

8 hours ago, bookbard said:

I've no idea on the latest with vitamins etc, someone else may be able to recommend.

Last week my primary care PA said they're recommending the Vitamin C/Vitamin D/zinc combo to patients who test positive for Covid. But I didn't think to ask her about dosages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While the thread is on the topic of treatment, I thought I'd mention that UpToDate's covid pages still seem to be free.  Their "COVID-19: Management of adults with acute illness in the outpatient setting" page gives a very good summary of the evidence for outpatient covid therapies, including the evidence for Paxlovid (which, for vaccinated immune-competent people, remains weak), with links to the primary literature, and links to other covid topics of interest.  It's a technical article meant for medical professionals --- and also perfect for WTM boardies who appreciate evidence-based medicine. 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4