Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

Current Risk Assessment

Based on what CDC knows now, existing tests used to detect and medications used to treat COVID-19 appear to be effective with this variant. BA.2.86 may be more capable of causing infection in people who have previously had COVID-19 or who have received COVID-19 vaccines. Scientists are evaluating the effectiveness of the forthcoming, updated COVID-19 vaccine. CDC’s current assessment is that this updated vaccine will be effective at reducing severe disease and hospitalization

Risk Assessment Summary for SARS CoV-2 Sublineage BA.2.86 | CDC

• Like 5

A Quick Update on the BA.2.86 Variant - by Eric Topol (substack.com)

The Immune Escape Issue

We know its new burden of mutations is considerable. The spike mutation map below compared BA.2.86 at the bottom, (“Pirola,” not yet a WHO designated name) with EG.5.1 and XBB.1.5, the latter being the target of the “updated” new poster that is supposed tone available in a few weeks in the United States. Also shown is BA.5 which was the target of the bivalent booster released in September 2022 and is the only booster currently available. If you can expand the image, you can readily see the marked differences in mutations—more than 30—in the spike for BA.2.86 as compared with the XBB recombinant variants (XBB.1.5. EG.5.1 and FL.1.5).

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F545cfe39-40b3-4e0b-b1bc-a384ed5e5791_3578x436.png

The impact of these striking differences will be immune escape—that is more difficult for our immune response to recognize this variant even with prior vaccinations, boosters, and infections—because it is new and different. It’s still SARS-CoV-2 so we have build some immunity, especially via our cellular T-cell system that is less sensitive to variants. But the rapid ability to neutralize the virus depends on antibodies, and the levels of those neutralizing antibodies are bound to be much lower against BA.2.86 than versions of the virus we have previously been espied to or immunized against. Also to note, the burden of new mutations for BA.2.86 is not confined to the spike and is seen broadly across other components of the virus.

The XBB.1.5 update booster would have been quite useful because it matches up pretty well to EG.5 and FL.1.5.1 (gaining in the US) with only a few mutations that differ, but it isn’t likely to be as helpful against BA.2.86. If BA.2.86 takes off, it will be a real test of how good our T-cell response can rev up to meet the challenge.

Sorry, The Pandemic Isn’t Over

Even if BA.2.86 doesn’t pose a real threat by virtue of low transmission, or its further evolution proves to be relatively benign, the fact that the inexorable evolution of the virus continues—to find new hosts and repeat hosts—cannot be ignored. If this isn’t “the one” it ought to signify that “the one” is still yet to come. If it never shows up, that’s great. But you sure don’t want to bet on that. All of us wish this was behind us, but it’s not. Facing that fact the this virus, in one version or another, will be with for many years to come, rather than denialism and complacency, is critical

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I got the Covid shot and ran out of time for flu

and then I got the flu! But that was right in the Covid wave here so I’m still glad I did get that 

Have you had COVID yet? 

Curious how bad your flu was. I guess whatever y'all have going around is what we will have in a few months. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, popmom said:

Curious how bad your flu was. I guess whatever y'all have going around is what we will have in a few months. 

We had a bad flu season over here, and a long one. Started early and still going! I got my flu shot fairly early this year. I know a few people who ended up with pneumonia this year after flu/viruses.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 2:43 PM, wathe said:

Not a thing anymore.  The rational for spacing covid vax from other vax was to gather data on covid vax side effects and adverse reactions without confounder of other vax at the same time.  

I could be totally misremembering but I thought there was a possible link with slightly increased stroke risk when both flu and Covid vaccines were given together. I thought it was some data the CDC released. I may be totally wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TCB said:

I could be totally misremembering but I thought there was a possible link with slightly increased stroke risk when both flu and Covid vaccines were given together. I thought it was some data the CDC released. I may be totally wrong.

You're correct — the CDC noticed a "signal" in the data that seemed to show a slightly elevated risk of stroke in people over 65 around 11-21 days after receiving a Pfizer covid shot plus a high dose or adjuvant flu shot on the same day. The sample is small and it could be noise, but they are looking into it. Discussion of the issue here: https://healthnews.com/news/cdc-questions-flu-vaccines-role-in-covid-booster-stroke-risk/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, popmom said:

Have you had COVID yet? 

No

still masking.

I unmasked at work for a couple of days that’s how I got flu. It was influenza b.

The initial infection wasn’t too bad, I wouldn’t have known it was flu if I didn’t use a RAT for Covid that happened to have flu as well.

I did get a cough afterward that took about eight weeks to clear (incidentally almost the same length as my husband took after Covid).

• Like 2

With the new booster being released soon, and assuming that they will again be limiting most people to one shot a year, what is your plan for your family about getting it? As soon as possible? Wait until just before the Thanksgiving/holidays to get through the worst of the season with some protection? 

20 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

With the new booster being released soon, and assuming that they will again be limiting most people to one shot a year, what is your plan for your family about getting it? As soon as possible? Wait until just before the Thanksgiving/holidays to get through the worst of the season with some protection? 

For me, the main issue affecting timing is whether Novavax will actually release their booster by the end of September as they have sometimes claimed. In other statements they just say it will be ready "in the fall," and they've obviously had repeated major delays up to this point, so I think it's kind of iffy whether they can actually deliver in September. I've had both Pfizer and Moderna, and given that there seemed to be a small benefit in mixing those two, I'm hoping there will also be a benefit in adding a non-mRNA shot to the mix. So if Novavax will be available by late September or early October, I will get that as soon as it's out, but if there are more delays and it's looking more like December or January, then I will most likely just go ahead and get another Moderna.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5

This week in outbreaks: Aug 25 edition - by Caitlin Rivers (substack.com)

Covid-19 activity continues to rise in the West and Northeastern regions according to data from Biobot, marking nine weeks of continuous increase. However, wastewater concentration in the Midwest appears to have peaked, and the South shows slight improvement. Hospitalization metrics are also still increasing across all regions of the country, though they remain below previous peaks.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Faf411ec2-18ec-4f6c-9bb3-df27eb3ec094_2102x696.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

I think we did ours in October last year and got Covid for the first and only time shortly thereafter (no smoking gun for where, and we mask everywhere we can), but we had mild cases. One of my kids is eligible for additional shots, so his last shot had been in August and was not the bivalent (he got his bivalent in January, I think). DH had not had his shot for quite two weeks yet IIRC, and he was the sickest but still considered mild.

I would guess we’ll stick with similar timing since we all did okay. It might depend on what flu does—I don’t want to get the shots for both at the same time. 

• Like 1

What are the current recommendations on treating long covid?  I have a friend who got covid in August of 2020 and has been having long covid symptoms, including profound exhaustion, since then, as well as occasional shortness of breath and pins and needles feeling.  Digestive issues.  But mostly just needing to sleep way more than normal.  I wasn’t sure if there were recommendations for treating long covid. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kbutton said:

I think we did ours in October last year and got Covid for the first and only time shortly thereafter (no smoking gun for where, and we mask everywhere we can), but we had mild cases. One of my kids is eligible for additional shots, so his last shot had been in August and was not the bivalent (he got his bivalent in January, I think). DH had not had his shot for quite two weeks yet IIRC, and he was the sickest but still considered mild.

I would guess we’ll stick with similar timing since we all did okay. It might depend on what flu does—I don’t want to get the shots for both at the same time. 

I am not getting them the same time either.   My kids were fine with it.  It hit me like a train the one year I did that.  From what I am seeing the Flu is supposed to hit early so I am possibly thinking of doing that in September.  I would have to try and look to see when I did it last year.  I know way back before Covid our doc recommended getting Flu at Thanksgiving, so I am trying to forget about that.   I know it hits early. 

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I would have to try and look to see when I did it last year.  I know way back before Covid our doc recommended getting Flu at Thanksgiving, so I am trying to forget about that.   I know it hits early.

You can monitor the CDC map to see when it’s creeping toward your area. At our location, we used to wait until Thanksgiving, but last year was much earlier.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 10:23 AM, Terabith said:

What are the current recommendations on treating long covid?  I have a friend who got covid in August of 2020 and has been having long covid symptoms, including profound exhaustion, since then, as well as occasional shortness of breath and pins and needles feeling.  Digestive issues.  But mostly just needing to sleep way more than normal.  I wasn’t sure if there were recommendations for treating long covid. 

I just saw this video on YouTube this morning so am going to link it in case it’s helpful. I haven’t had time to watch it but I find the Dr who made it a very reliable source usually.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My rheumatology clinic just sent out a COVID-19 “please mask everywhere again” message. They haven’t done so since the first big winter 2021 omicron wave, so I find that interesting.

I have heard a lot of people saying this, that their doctors are bringing back the mask requirements. 

• Like 1

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/106094?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2023-08-28&eun=g1838208d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily Headlines Evening 2023-08-28&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_dual-gmail-definition

Sorry--I don't know how to make short links. This confuses me a little bit. I have had 5 total vaccines, the last one being the bivalent last fall. I am overweight and have T2 diabetes, but it is well-controlled. I am in my early 60s. I was planning to get the newest vaccine this fall, but this is making me wonder if I should or not. I'm obviously in favor of vaccines, but do wonder if one can go overboard with them.

23 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/106094?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2023-08-28&eun=g1838208d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily Headlines Evening 2023-08-28&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_dual-gmail-definition

Sorry--I don't know how to make short links. This confuses me a little bit. I have had 5 total vaccines, the last one being the bivalent last fall. I am overweight and have T2 diabetes, but it is well-controlled. I am in my early 60s. I was planning to get the newest vaccine this fall, but this is making me wonder if I should or not. I'm obviously in favor of vaccines, but do wonder if one can go overboard with them.

I don't see anything in that article that suggests any downside at all to getting another booster, and one of the doctors said he is recommending it for his own kids, who are healthy and in their 30s, because of the possible reduction in long covid. I think what the article is mostly saying is that if you're young and healthy with no extra risk factors, it's not really necessary, but it might still be of benefit. I'm in my 60s but healthy with no risk factors, and I will definitely get the new XBB booster, and both of my kids (healthy, 20s, no risk factors) will likely get it as well since they both have very high exposure (one is at a huge university and spends a lot of time on planes, in airports, and at competitions with thousands of people, and the other is starting a medical assistant program).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaybee said:

I am moving from a vaccinate ASAP model to a vaccinate when I know I’m doing something higher risk (plane flight, school placement) model. The vaccines make me pretty sick and I’m concerned about long term effects of repeat exposure though obviously I’m concerned about Covid too.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I am moving from a vaccinate ASAP model to a vaccinate when I know I’m doing something higher risk (plane flight, school placement) model. The vaccines make me pretty sick and I’m concerned about long term effects of repeat exposure though obviously I’m concerned about Covid too.

I haven't had reactions to the vaccines, other than I had shingles two weeks after my second one. This fall, though, I will get the flu shot (I do that every year), and also plan to get the shingles vaccine. It just feels like a lot, but I don't want side effects of covid, either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

We get flu shots every year, and Covid is still killing a lot more people than the flu. I can’t imagine ANYONE in healthcare who is vaccine-positive saying not to get a flu shot (it’s almost always required or the HCW has to mask all flu season).

I think they are just trying to keep the peace and make people feel better. Sure, many people have some level of immunity, but that’s true for the flu too. It’s just political and this is to keep people from freaking out when their relatives, friends, and co-workers refuse an updated booster.

I am jaded at this point though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, carp! I’m seeing reports on FB community pages near me that children are already testing positive for flu! Purely anecdotal but I’ll be very curious what the flu map looks like next week. 😕

Eta just checked the most recent—updated 8/25. Sure enough, the SE US is changing color. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

I originally got 4 shots- 2 that counted as the first dose, and then one booster, and then the last booster was in Feb 2022.  Neither dh nor I ever got the bivalent booster because it came out when we were on our Hawaiian vacation, and on that same vacation, dh got COVID (and probably I did too, but while his lasted for a few days with him being sicker, I just had one day of being slightly sick and I was having high altitude problems at that time too so unsure if I did or did not have it.)   

Because we got the flu within 2 weeks of coming home from that vacation, I got my flu shot last November.   But we plan on getting the new COVID shot when it comes out, a flu shot maybe early now, and an RSV shot too.  The last time everyone around me had RSV, including dh sleeping in the same bed, I didn't get it.    But I want to make sure I do not get it since I have broken a rib before and have no interest in having the same painful experience again.

• Like 4

Your top 7 questions about fall vaccines answered (substack.com)

Should I wait for the fall COVID-19 vaccine?

I’m telling my family and friends to wait (as opposed to getting last year’s vaccine formula). Of course, there is some risk to waiting, but there are two benefits, too:

1. While we are in a wave now, we expect a larger wave in winter. Getting it closer to this wave will better prevent infection;

2. Recent preprint shows that two shots of last year’s vaccine formula resulted in imprinting. This isn’t necessarily dangerous, but it means our antibody factory line (i.e. B-cells) wasn’t updated—it doesn’t broaden protection. Getting an updated vaccine formula will be more helpful against currently circulating variants.

Novavax vs. mRNA COVID-19 vaccine?

Both are great shots. And the data pool to draw on is so narrow I’m uncomfortable saying one is immunologically better than the other. But we’ve had some studies (here, here, here, and here), and they’ve shown many similarities and some subtle differences:

Similarities

• Both provide a solid first line of defense (i.e., neutralizing antibodies).

• Both strengthen a solid second line of defense (i.e., T-cells).

Differences

1. Negative: Novavax produced significantly lower levels of a specific antibody called IgG.

2. Positive: Novavax had a more durable response over time (waned less quickly).

3. Positive: Novavax has fewer side effects, like pain and muscle aches. For this reason alone, I will be getting Novavax this fall.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd599e1ef-e53a-476c-bc4c-79b553c23ab6_1038x950.png

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Rheumy never dropped the “please mask in office” requirement. This is the “you shouldn’t be out in indoor public spaces unmasked” and “reconsider large gatherings” message.

Read it wrong.   It makes me sad to be in that time, but I am glad you have a doctor giving you good advice.

Edited by mommyoffive

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Excellent articles. The CDC's position on this is absolutely infuriating.

Yep.  For me it has just been an almost constant let down with the CDC during this whole time.  I wish that they would have been guiding and informing people in the best way possible during these years.  I felt like because they were not giving good information, I had to become an expert in this area that I previously knew nothing about.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yep.  For me it has just been an almost constant let down with the CDC during this whole time.  I wish that they would have been guiding and informing people in the best way possible during these years.  I felt like because they were not giving good information, I had to become an expert in this area that I previously knew nothing about.  

Same. They seem to think they have to respond to what people want rather than set policy based on hard data. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Rheumy never dropped the “please mask in office” requirement. This is the “you shouldn’t be out in indoor public spaces unmasked” and “reconsider large gatherings” message.

I’ve started having dreams again where we’re somewhere and I realize we don’t have masks on. I used to have those all the time early in the pandemic. The difference is that now in these dreams, everyone is trying to convince me it’s fine and we don’t need them. 

• Sad 4

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Should I wait for the fall COVID-19 vaccine?

I’m telling my family and friends to wait (as opposed to getting last year’s vaccine formula). Of course, there is some risk to waiting, but there are two benefits, too:

1. While we are in a wave now, we expect a larger wave in winter. Getting it closer to this wave will better prevent infection;

2. Recent preprint shows that two shots of last year’s vaccine formula resulted in imprinting. This isn’t necessarily dangerous, but it means our antibody factory line (i.e. B-cells) wasn’t updated—it doesn’t broaden protection. Getting an updated vaccine formula will be more helpful against currently circulating variants.

Novavax vs. mRNA COVID-19 vaccine?

Both are great shots. And the data pool to draw on is so narrow I’m uncomfortable saying one is immunologically better than the other. But we’ve had some studies (here, here, here, and here), and they’ve shown many similarities and some subtle differences:

Similarities

• Both provide a solid first line of defense (i.e., neutralizing antibodies).

• Both strengthen a solid second line of defense (i.e., T-cells).

Differences

1. Negative: Novavax produced significantly lower levels of a specific antibody called IgG.

2. Positive: Novavax had a more durable response over time (waned less quickly).

3. Positive: Novavax has fewer side effects, like pain and muscle aches. For this reason alone, I will be getting Novavax this fall.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd599e1ef-e53a-476c-bc4c-79b553c23ab6_1038x950.png

Where is this from?