Menu

Reliable used book merchants (online)?

marbel

I have been trying to order more used books, particularly for gifts. Mostly I order from Thriftbooks and I have liked them, but they have gotten a bit spotty on their book condition ratings. I've complained before, and have gotten the price of the book refunded, which is nice.

Today I received a book in 'like new' condition but it has obviously been wet (not terribly so, it's completely readable), has underlining (which does not fit their 'like new' criteria) and smells of fabric softener. The price was very good, and it was not a gift, so I don't want a refund and won't complain to them about it. But I'm wondering if people know of very reliable sources for used books, other than going into a store.  

I know that scents/orders can be subjective. Most people would not find a book with the scent of fabric softener/dryer sheet upsetting. And it may be that I am more sensitive to it.  

What online used book merchants do you like? I've ordered a few things from Better World Books, but not enough to have a sense of their reliability. 

Thoughts, recommendations?

27 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

Do you order straight from thrift books?  I most often aim for them when buying on Amazon and the books are always in fantastic condition - even when they say good.  Just an interesting observation.  

Oh interesting! I have never ordered from them via Amazon; I did not know they sold there. I have been trying to avoid Amazon in favor of independents more lately.  

Maybe they save their better stuff for AMZ?  Hmmmm.....

So far, I've had good luck with Abe Books, although I've not bought more than a dozen books over the years from them.

Alibris has always been so much more expensive that I've never used them, but that one might be worth looking at.

All of the Better World Books that I've bought through Amazon used have always been spot-on the description, plus super fast. I've never tried using their website directly.

Similarly, there have been several book sellers through Amazon who have always been reliable -- Hippo Books is one. I can't bring to mind the 2-3 others that I have had consistently good luck with...

ETA:

49 minutes ago, marbel said:

...But I'm wondering if people know of very reliable sources for used books, other than going into a store..

I see you are looking for other than a store, BUT, if you have some good used book stores in your area, I have found a LOT of good-to-new condition books that I have given as gifts from one of our local used bookstores in particular. Perhaps try going at an off time during the day, and on a week day, if trying to avoid crowds?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

<snip>

I see you are looking for other than a store, BUT, if you have some good used book stores in your area, I have found a LOT of good-to-new condition books that I have given as gifts from one of our local used bookstores in particular. Perhaps try going at an off time during the day, and on a week day, if trying to avoid crowds?

No, it's not crowd avoidance, but a lack time and of stores in a reasonable distance. The quickest/easiest to get to is at least 45 minutes away. There are several in the city (Philadelphia) but that is a trip for a free day when I have a lot of time to spend on the train, etc.  🙂 

• Like 1

I, too, have found that I get the highest quality used books on Amazon, even if I buy from the same merchants on other platforms. After getting a stinky book from Abebooks, I only buy from Amazon (and I buy a lot).

I only buy very good or better books and only from merchants with 94% or higher ratings.

Emily

• Like 4

I will add that I have bought quite a few used books over the years on Amazon, and fewer than half a dozen times have I received a book that was in lower quality than described, or received a workbook with writing in it. Very frustrating when it does happen, though.

Similar to previous posters, I try to shoot for the sellers that not only have 5 star ratings, but that I have used and found reliable.

• Like 2

Re: condition of books. I've ordered 140 books from BBW, and perhaps 2 or 3 times I had to contact them and say, "Hey, this book is in "acceptable" and not "good" condition." Every time I've received a prompt refund without having to return the book. 

And, I know that people like to point out the BBW is not a non-profit, and that's true, but they do donate one book for every book purchased, and they do have environmentally friendly practices. 

From their website: "Every time you purchase a book from BetterWorldBooks.com, we donate a book to someone in need. The books we donate go through hundreds of non-profit organizations – you can see them on our Impact Map. In particular, Books for Africa and Feed the Children partner with us to take large numbers of donated books and get them to people who need them. Books donated as of June 2018: 26 million."

• Like 4

Another strong pitch for Better World Books.

This...

16 hours ago, MercyA said:

Re: condition of books. I've ordered 140 books from BBW, and perhaps 2 or 3 times I had to contact them and say, "Hey, this book is in "acceptable" and not "good" condition." Every time I've received a prompt refund without having to return the book. 

And, I know that people like to point out the BBW is not a non-profit, and that's true, but they do donate one book for every book purchased, and they do have environmentally friendly practices. 

From their website: "Every time you purchase a book from BetterWorldBooks.com, we donate a book to someone in need. The books we donate go through hundreds of non-profit organizations – you can see them on our Impact Map. In particular, Books for Africa and Feed the Children partner with us to take large numbers of donated books and get them to people who need them. Books donated as of June 2018: 26 million."

... and also, virtually all of the big online sellers are all subsourcing from the same underlying warehouses / used chains / distributors.  I once spent two years sloooooowly sourcing 30 copies of an OOP hagaddah, using BWB, alibris and Amazon to do.  And little slips of paper evidencing journeys to all sorts of sub-suppliers fluttered out from books from all three sources.

• Like 4

I generally prefer BetterWorldBooks to thrift books, but probably would have less trust of them for a high priced item.  But for readable copies of books, I rarely have had it gone wrong, other than a couple times where I received the wrong book all together (and got my money back in those circumstances).

One thing to keep in mind about AbeBooks is that there are many, many individual sellers there, not one "AbeBooks" - I buy from there relatively often but check the sellers before ordering.  Some are just big thrift sellers, etc.  Some are small individual book sellers.  I've had higher priced items turn out well there, but only if they are showing an actual picture or very clear description of the actual item (not just some generic description).

I've also had good luck buying from ebay (again, making sure if it's a high price item that I am seeing actual product description and photos), and from joining sales groups on Facebook that cater to the specific types of books I'm looking for (I collect certain vintage children's books, so I join groups where those are likely to be sold).  I've gotten a few good deals from shipped books on Facebook marketplace, but that's not my favorite.  When I was completing my vintage Narnia set last year though, I spent about a quarter of the price I would have paid on ebay by buying on FB marketplace and having books shipped from sellers there.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2021 at 5:17 PM, Lori D. said:

I will add that I have bought quite a few used books over the years on Amazon, and fewer than half a dozen times have I received a book that was in lower quality than described, or received a workbook with writing in it. Very frustrating when it does happen, though.

When this happens, I will contact the seller and really every time they have given me a refund.  I had a comedy of errors with one book where I ordered it three different times and all three times received the wrong book.  I was given a refund for all of the incorrect books.  

• Like 2

I purchase a lot from abebooks and the description of the condition of books is accurate. Lots of times, I get brand new, unused, unsold inventory of books when the condition is listed "very good". I had one issue with them when the book listed with no markings came heavily underlined and they immediately refunded me the money. 

My second choice for used books is amazon.

My third choice is eBay.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

I generally order used books from Amazon. I try to find Better World Books or Powells as sellers if possible. *I've* never had issue with either one. Most of the sellers I've found on abe books also list on Amazon, at least for the books I'm shopping for. One thing I like about ordering from Amazon is that if the book doesn't meet their stated condition, Amazon will intervene. I've only had to do that once and it was not the above sellers. 

• Like 1

I frequently order straight from Better World books and have never had a problem.  The books come in roughly 1 week and are always in better condition than the description may say (never worse).   The shipping is also free!  I highly recommend them.   

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 3:35 PM, MercyA said:

I love Better World Books and order from them directly. Always free shipping. I usually only buy when they have a sale code on their site, which is fairly often.

I also use eBay.

I also love Better World books.  They are always my first go to for books.  You are right, there is almost always a coupon code.

• Like 2

New coupon code for Black Friday for 3+ used books: 

Use coupon code FRIDAY21 at checkout.
- New books are not eligible for promotions.
- Cannot be combined with other promotions.
- Sale valid from November 24, 2021, from 9:00 AM EST to November 28, 2021, 11:59 PM EST.

I also forgot to mention that they have a rewards program which has saved me some money, too.

• Like 2