Menu

Skincare for Tween/Young Teen

Moonhawk

DD12 is starting to get first hints of acne. It's mostly where here glasses touch her cheeks. I want to start her on a skincare routine. Preferably easy, preferably not too expensive, or at least perhaps from a place that will have a Black Friday/holiday sales. What have you found that works? 

As a tween, my water-averse DS used Stridex pads daily, and Neutrogena On the Spot before bed on any noticeable spots. A gentle facial cleanser in the shower.

Your DD may be more compliant with regimens, but for the resistant typical boy — this worked well. Amazon subscribe and save had both, at the time. Easy peasy.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Spryte said:

As a tween, my water-averse DS used Stridex pads daily, and Neutrogena On the Spot before bed on any noticeable spots. A gentle facial cleanser in the shower.

Your DD may be more compliant with regimens, but for the resistant typical boy — this worked well. Amazon subscribe and save had both, at the time. Easy peasy.

This!  I personally did proactive for years until they changed the formula. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

So far, just washing with this salicylic acid wash has worked fine for my dc. For them, it has been gentle enough that they don’t need moisturizer, and strong enough to be effective. 

This is what we use here, too. CeraVe has expanded their acne line quite a bit. I didn’t care for their “acne foaming cream cleanser,” but the last time I was in Walmart, I saw they have a salicylic acid spot treatment. I’ll probably give it a try. 

• Like 1

We like acne.org's cleanser. Super gentle and non-irritating. It's available both on the acne.org website and on Amazon. DD washes with it morning and evening and so do I! One bottle lasts a long time.

She applies Dr. Song's 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel morning and evening, too. I use it evenings only on the acne prone portions of my face. It's very inexpensive per ounce compared to other treatments and does not over-dry or irritate our skin. 

ETA: Both products are cruelty-free.

Edited by MercyA

What type skin? My 15 year old is struggling some with acne, but she has dry skin. So it makes a huge difference in how you treat the acne. We have seen improvements using products from The Ordinary. Their Granactive Retinoid products and Niacinamide serum in particular.

Bonus is The Ordinary is VERY reasonably priced.

Edited by popmom