Menu

Well-trained bodies - November

Laura Corin

Thanks for starting the new month, Laura. 

I'm doing a family exercise challenge for the month of November as motivation to get active during this difficult month. We're going to do a minimum of 30 min/day. Sadly, a lot of my favourite outdoor activities are winding down because of the cold (tennis, biking, kayaking), so I'll be walking a lot. The dog will be happy. đŸ˜‰

• Like 4

November is usually one of my favorite times of year here in Florida. The weather cools down enough to make it pleasant to be outside, and the rain usually backs off for at least a few weeks. So, nothing changing for me in my usual routine except that I won't sweat as much while doing it.

Finished the day yesterday with a good number of steps, in part from a mid-day Target expedition to take advantage of some sales to pick up some items for my holiday donatables bin and in part from walking back and forth in front of the house last night interacting with trick-or-treaters. 

Started the morning with the usual 3.3K walk followed by a somewhat rushed exercise session.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 376.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 247 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles 

• Like 5

Ya, for new months and fresh starts. Last one was a rough one for me. I felt like I was just hanging on. After 3 days of decent sleep I already feel so much better. I am aiming to do 5 workouts a week. As much walking as I feel up to. Catch up on sleep. I had dropped my step and walking goal as it just made me worse to continue to fail. If I can get to feeling better I hope to add those back in but I am taking it 1 day at a time and listening to my body. I am also trying to get my eating back on track. It has been an up and down struggle the last month+. Again, one day at a time.

Today: 45 min lower body strength training done

• Like 5

đŸ‘‹ Hi. I'm going to try to do at least a brief workout and/or walk every weekday, and I'm reducing my sugar intake. This week, the dark mornings will be an obstacle, but my region does change the clocks back this weekend, which will help for at least a few weeks.

• Like 5

Got in my steps yesterday and then some. I overslept this morning but did manage a regular (3.3K) walk). I ran out of of time to do any other exercise before work, and I have a an after-work meeting tonight with a project group for my class; who knows when or whether I'll be able to make up the exercise session and get in another walk?

Really down day today emotionally, too, so finding the energy to devote to all of this is questionable.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 383.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 248 Days

• Like 4

I did a few minutes of exercise first thing this morning and a short walk with DS after school. I made sure that the sweets I bought were flavors I wouldn't like.

I think the key for exercise for me is going to be insisting on doing *something*.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Carolina Wren said:

I did a few minutes of exercise first thing this morning and a short walk with DS after school. I made sure that the sweets I bought were flavors I wouldn't like.

I think the key for exercise for me is going to be insisting on doing *something*.

Yes. Just getting in the habit of doing something is really important. 

--------

Brisk walk at lunchtime then yoga after work.

• Like 5

walk yesterday evening (almost too late- I will have to shift to an earlier time when time changes) I was using my flashlight at the end - but that is limited visibility. I've seen wild hogs in the woods before. I do not like to be out that late!

40 min core workout this am

Yesterday was another good food day, although still too much chocolate đŸ™‚

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Really down day today emotionally, too, so finding the energy to devote to all of this is questionable.

(hugs)

I've been fighting this off/on. I just want to hole up away from people, it seems easier, although I know that would not be a good thing. And I'll leave it at that because a rant of all I'm thinking about why people suck would not be productive.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Soror said:

walk yesterday evening (almost too late- I will have to shift to an earlier time when time changes) I was using my flashlight at the end - but that is limited visibility. I've seen wild hogs in the woods before. I do not like to be out that late!

40 min core workout this am

Yesterday was another good food day, although still too much chocolate đŸ™‚

Walking in the dark is not my favourite thing, either. I'm in the suburbs, so lighting isn't too bad, but there are coyotes around.  Sitting at home all evening isn't a great option, though, as that's when the extra eating happens.

• Like 4

Never did get around to making up the exercise from yesterday morning -- maybe over the weekend?

I did make my step count yesterday with a solid 5K walk, though, and got in a good 4.2K this morning. I followed that with about 25 minutes of floor-based strength and stretching.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 393.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 249 Days

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Walking in the dark is not my favourite thing, either. I'm in the suburbs, so lighting isn't too bad, but there are coyotes around.  Sitting at home all evening isn't a great option, though, as that's when the extra eating happens.

LOL. I'm an afternoon snacker, not an evening one. I live in a rural area so there are no outside lights, except on my house. The parks are all closed after dark too. Unless, there is a ball game and then they have that lit up. I guess they don't want people getting into trouble after dark. IDK. It is annoying.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I try to do housework after work and then yoga to fill my snacky time. That works less well on the evenings when I cook.

----- 

Today - pj sun salutations first thing,  then walk-run intervals at lunchtime.  We are going to a distanced concert this evening,  so no time for yoga.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I actually enjoy walking in the dark -- or at least at dusk and before sunrise. It's very peaceful (and not hot, which is a big factor here in Florida).

I live in a suburban area, but a bit more remote than we have lived previously. The neighborhood is also built around a number of lakes of varying sizes. In Florida, bodies of water mean potential for an assortment of critters, including alligators. So I do tend to maintain a bit more distance from the lakes when walking between dusk and dawn than I do in the bright light of day. And I keep my phone with its flashlight app handy.

• Like 5

Walking workout video this morning. I'm not comfortable walking in the dark, even with my Labrador in our subdivision. You know spell check isn't happy unless I capitalize Labrador? Someone must have connections to the powers that be. cat cat cat. No need to capitalize cat. Hmmm...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

Walking workout video this morning. I'm not comfortable walking in the dark, even with my Labrador in our subdivision. You know spell check isn't happy unless I capitalize Labrador? Someone must have connections to the powers that be. cat cat cat. No need to capitalize cat. Hmmm...

I walk around the village at night where there are street lights.  I feel safe to go to unlit areas too - the worst that might happen would be being scared by a deer - but the surface at this time of year is rather uneven and muddy; I probably need a better torch.

• Like 4

Ended October very well got all my planned workouts in.  Starting the month with some time in the Blue Ridge mountains  the exercise was good, hiking some trails while enjoying the beautiful fall colors but eating doesn't count on vacation.   So tomorrow I'm home and back to my everyday healthy routines and I have 0 guilt of enjoying my vacation.   We always like to try local diners, bbq places and other restaurants unique to the area.488276790_20211102_135633_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.2e023e3750e2513010b388f2e23e5167.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, lynn said:

Ended October very well got all my planned workouts in.  Starting the month with some time in the Blue Ridge mountains  the exercise was good, hiking some trails while enjoying the beautiful fall colors but eating doesn't count on vacation.   So tomorrow I'm home and back to my everyday healthy routines and I have 0 guilt of enjoying my vacation.   We always like to try local diners, bbq places and other restaurants unique to the area.488276790_20211102_135633_HDR(1).thumb.jpg.2e023e3750e2513010b388f2e23e5167.jpg

Gorgeous!  We are hoping to get back to the Highlands this weekend, but it's been windy this week, so I don't know if there will still be good colour.

-----------------

Today: pj sun salutations first thing; walk with a friend at lunchtime; hoping for a quick yoga before my psychology module this evening.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lynn said:

Beautiful! I love those colours and mountains. It's really cool to see that 'blue ridge mountains' is an actual place and not just lyrics from a John Denver song.Â đŸ˜…Â 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I actually enjoy walking in the dark -- or at least at dusk and before sunrise. It's very peaceful (and not hot, which is a big factor here in Florida).

I live in a suburban area, but a bit more remote than we have lived previously. The neighborhood is also built around a number of lakes of varying sizes. In Florida, bodies of water mean potential for an assortment of critters, including alligators. So I do tend to maintain a bit more distance from the lakes when walking between dusk and dawn than I do in the bright light of day. And I keep my phone with its flashlight app handy.

Alligators would definitely keep me away from water! I guess kayaking and canoeing might also be limited in your area due to your critters? Our water critters are cute turtles, beavers and muscrat. 

• Like 3

45 min of light yoga/stretching done;

No official walk yesterday but did a little walking in outside at the nature center with the girls and a reasonable amount of steps while out and about.

Still a bit much chocolate but not nearly as much as the previous 2 days. Not as many fruits and veggies (4 veg; 1 fruit) but not the worst day. 

---------

I like walking around sunset too. It is gorgeous but in the woods if I don't watch it it gets dark, very very quickly. They are very dense. The wild hogs can be dangerous and they are very large and prefer the night time. I'd rather avoid them!

• Like 6

Got in a nice walk last night. The dog declined to join me, so I was able to maintain a brisker pace and managed over 5K in my usual hour-long time slot.

Walked a little over 4K this morning, followed by the usual Thursday strength and stretching routine and then a couple of minutes of jogging on the mini-trampoline. 

I tried to get a little earlier start today (hence the sunrise photo), since I am taking some time off work this morning to attend the pre-race "expo" at WDW for the 5K I am walking tomorrow. This is my first on-property race, and I am currently questioning the wisdom of signing up for an event that requires me to be on-site at 4:00 AM. We'll see how this goes.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 402.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 250 Days

IMG_20211104_072849778.jpg

• Like 6

Hi everyone, I want to join you this month!

I've been doing the Beginner #1 plan from Nourish Move Love for 10 days now and it hits the sweet spot - not too long, not too hard, but reasonably sore the next day. My goal for this is six days per week.

I'm also aiming for 21 days of one mile each this month. I have a hard time making myself go outside when the weather gets dark and cold, so this is a goal that helps me to commit to getting out the door.

Finally, I'm working on eating moderately, with more veggies. Today's goal is threefold: no snacks before lunch, clean out the fridge, and go produce shopping.

• Like 8

I'm doing the 30 Days of Gratitude Challenge and wanted to pop in to say "Thank you" to those of you who have kept these threads going for so long. Even though I no longer post, I smile every time I see them. It makes me happy to see/read that so many of you are keeping up with the accountability.

Keep working hard and doing what is right for your body!

• Like 8

Dumbbell workout this morning. I have parent conferences today--all Zoom, so I'm working from home. I kind of enjoy the conferences, but it is long and tiring. We started yesterday after teaching a full day, 4:00-8:00 last night and 10:00-6:00 today (no classes). Then we get tomorrow off.

• Like 5

I did a (short) workout today. I discovered that I still have my old NYC Ballet Workout DVD. I'm thinking about how I can incorporate that. When I was doing an in-person class (maybe 17 years ago??) my back and arms were really nicely defined.

My goal is to be working out at home at least 3 days a week so I can drop getting up early to go to the Y once we get to Thanksgiving--it makes me sleepy the rest of the day and my fellow members are quite lax about masking (even though it's mandated here).

• Like 7

It's a light work-out day for me today. I did a 45 min walk with the dog in the afternoon sunshine. It was great to have the sun, but it was still fairly cold. 

Dh went to play tennis this evening and I politely declined. I just couldn't handle 2 nights in a row of freezing on the tennis court. I'll have to toughen up for the winter, but I'm not there yet. đŸ˜‰Â 

• Like 5

It's been a couple of good days for walking. After my usual morning walk yesterday, I attended the pre-event "expo" for the WDW 5K, which had me walking all over the ESPN Wide World of Sports venue. I topped off the day with a short walk with the dog, just for the sake of maintaining her routine. All told, I was at about 10K for the day.

And this morning was the actual 5K. I finished in under 47 minutes, which is a very good pace for me. It's hard not to compare myself to the runners I know, who would knock out a 5K in 25 minutes, but I remind myself that when I started tracking these things it was taking me over an hour. 

Oh, and it rained the whole time. But at least that meant it wasn't hot.

I'm already registered for two more of the WDW events; registration for the spring races opens next month. I'm tempted to do the 10K for that one, but I may come to my senses before registering.

Skipped strength and stretching stuff this morning, because I was honestly pretty done by the time I got home, especially after waking up at 3:00 AM to be on site.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 414.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 251 Days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

@Jenny in FloridaCongrats on your 5K!!!! That is a long day!!!

-------

Walked yesterday afternoon. I had great meals, although the chocolate and candy consumption was up again. I went in the am to do my blood draw, which then delays my meds and my breakfast. Inevitably my eating is not so great when my morning is thrown off schedule. I know people say delay your breakfast, you will eat less. That does not work for me. I do best front loading my calories.

1 hr workout today- only 40 min done so far before teaching as I woke up late: I'll finish it after my classes are done. 

• Like 3

Well done, @Jenny in Florida!

@Soror  I have to be really careful about delaying meals - it's easy for me to get too hungry and then the eating somehow never stops.

Today: pj sun salutations; brisk short walk at lunchtime between meetings; I hope for yoga after work.

We won't be making it to The Highlands this weekend - the wind will be reaching 40mph which, is unpleasant verging on dangerous, depending on the path.  I'll try to take a longer local walk, plant some shrubs in the garden - my roses have arrived - and get on with my psychology essay.

• Like 3

Did 30 min on the treadmill this morning. I'm enjoying a mocha and listening to a GRP Christmas CD with my disabled dd. It's great that she's happy doing that--no temper tantrums at the moment! Then I'll head into work and actually work on the stuff I want to do (planning next unit) as it's not really a work day and no one else can claim my time today (meetings, conferences, etc).

I love the idea of a WDW event--that would definitely be a motivator for me if I lived anywhere near there! We have a rainy day today and then this weekend, in addition to rain, the high temps will be in the 40's for the first time this season. Cozy by the fire kind of weather.

• Like 4

Lower body workout yesterday and core + lower body on Tuesday. In between I've taken some short walks but want to ramp up the intensity. I'm looking into doing one of the virtual Conqueror challenge walks just to have a little something to keep me on track. I also went yesterday TO the gym and exercised in a mask. It felt okay to me as there were only four other people in the room, and the gym is just sooooo much nicer for what I like to do. It was a relief to be able to peddle on the recumbent bike for a while. 

I fell a few weeks ago in a rainy, dark parking lot and my left shoulder is now messed up--there's always something. I am trying to baby it myself until I check in with the PT next week--I hope it heals up on its own. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I fell a few weeks ago in a rainy, dark parking lot and my left shoulder is now messed up--there's always something. I am trying to baby it myself until I check in with the PT next week--I hope it heals up on its own. 

I also feel that - at my age - there's always some  physical glitch to work around. I try to convince myself that doing something is better than doing nothing,  even if it's not that much.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Lower body workout yesterday and core + lower body on Tuesday. In between I've taken some short walks but want to ramp up the intensity. I'm looking into doing one of the virtual Conqueror challenge walks just to have a little something to keep me on track. I also went yesterday TO the gym and exercised in a mask. It felt okay to me as there were only four other people in the room, and the gym is just sooooo much nicer for what I like to do. It was a relief to be able to peddle on the recumbent bike for a while. 

Ouch! I hope it heals up!

Finished my 1 hr full body strength work yesterday (I'm sore today) and did a walk with dd3. Not all that far or fast but we got outside. 

Food was the same- good meals,lots of veggies. Too much chocolate- thankfully the Halloween candy is nearly gone and can stop tempting me.

Today is 30 min HIIT workout and I need to do some yard work. The weather is going to be nice, it will be a good day for it.

• Like 5

I'm on day 13 of NML beginner plan and still loving it. I try not to push myself because I'm the type who pushes like crazy and then gets injured. She has pushups in every workout, even if only a few. I've never been able to do a pushup, but I can tell that I'm getting lower (albeit still on my knees) than I was 13 days ago.

Walking is going meh. I take ds9 to karate many afternoons and it just makes things trickier. I let dd5 come with me the other day and it made my 20 minute walk take 40 minutes. Today, though, we're heading to a nature preserve to hike with friends. Also, now that ds16 is done with cross country, I go birding with him once or twice a week. (But have you ever walked with a birder? You're lucky if you go one mile per hour!)

I cleaned out my fridge and went produce shopping. I picked up the Volumetrics Diet book at the library because I'm needing a different way of thinking about eating. WW has worked well for me for nearly three years, but I'm just not tracking currently and I haven't been able to make myself track consistently without regular meetings. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

I'm on day 13 of NML beginner plan and still loving it. I try not to push myself because I'm the type who pushes like crazy and then gets injured. She has pushups in every workout, even if only a few. I've never been able to do a pushup, but I can tell that I'm getting lower (albeit still on my knees) than I was 13 days ago.

Walking is going meh. I take ds9 to karate many afternoons and it just makes things trickier. I let dd5 come with me the other day and it made my 20 minute walk take 40 minutes. Today, though, we're heading to a nature preserve to hike with friends. Also, now that ds16 is done with cross country, I go birding with him once or twice a week. (But have you ever walked with a birder? You're lucky if you go one mile per hour!)

I cleaned out my fridge and went produce shopping. I picked up the Volumetrics Diet book at the library because I'm needing a different way of thinking about eating. WW has worked well for me for nearly three years, but I'm just not tracking currently and I haven't been able to make myself track consistently without regular meetings. 

LOL. I went walking with my 8yo yesterday. I feel ya.

I hear you on injuries, slow and steady does it. I've learned the hard way I have to hold back from what I think I can do to avoid injury. I injured my shoulder a few years ago and have reinjured it many times figuring that out. When I first started with my current workout program I had not done (reg) pushups in 8 months after the last time I reinjured it (doing a program with way too much volume than is good for me). But I decided I was read to try them back on my toes again. At first I tried to do 5 a set and quickly my shoulder was aching again. Then I went to doing 2 a set and each week I'd on 1 per set and just rest anytime she did more. I finished doing 10 in a row for each set and even did a whole workout of pushups- like 500 of them without any major soreness (now some of the advanced ones I couldn't do as many or had to modify but most were on my toes). Now, I'm still working on 10 in a set but increasing my depth and trying to master some of the harder pushup variations. My shoulder hasn't hurt since those first few weeks when I went to fast. I'm thrilled with that as this is the hardest I've worked without bothering my shoulder. 

10 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Best wishes, I hope you heal on your own. 

• Like 5

Finished 1 hr full body strength workout yesterday (my lower body is especially sore today- lots and lots of squats). Slow walk with dd in the woods.

Today is a 30 min HIIT workout and hopefully some work outside as the weather will be nice.

Still too much chocolate but I had great meals-

blueberry, flax, nonfat yogurt, protein powder smoothie after my workout;

steel cut oats, almonds, and pear w/ nf yogurt for breakfast;

stirfry with brown rice, carrots, tons of swiss card, onions w/ egg and chickpea+ kale salad; keto ice cream bar (I'm obvs not keto but they have higher protein and lower sugar than reg ice cram and were on sale đŸ™‚ )

snack-ham+ cheese lettuce wrap;

steak, roasted potatoes + zucchini for dinner; 

(the halloween candy is tempting me much more than usual this year, thankfully it is nearly gone)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Finished 1 hr full body strength workout yesterday (my lower body is especially sore today- lots and lots of squats). Slow walk with dd in the woods.

Today is a 30 min HIIT workout and hopefully some work outside as the weather will be nice.

Still too much chocolate but I had great meals-

blueberry, flax, nonfat yogurt, protein powder smoothie after my workout;

steel cut oats, almonds, and pear w/ nf yogurt for breakfast;

stirfry with brown rice, carrots, tons of swiss card, onions w/ egg and chickpea+ kale salad; keto ice cream bar (I'm obvs not keto but they have higher protein and lower sugar than reg ice cram and were on sale đŸ™‚ )

snack-ham+ cheese lettuce wrap;

steak, roasted potatoes + zucchini for dinner; 

(the halloween candy is tempting me much more than usual this year, thankfully it is nearly gone)

Luckily all the Halloween sweeties are outgoing rather than incoming,  as we don't have kids at home. So on 1 November I donated all the leftovers.  It helps that milk chocolate doesn't really appeal.

Today- pj sun salutations. I spent a few hours on a psychology essay - what demon designated only 1000 words? - and I plan a long-ish walk in a second. The rain has passed, and it's now fine but breezy.

• Like 3

Fireside yoga this morning. On and off hard rain. We have a gas fireplace that goes on with a flip of a switch on the wall, so it's super easy to have fire for awhile and then turn it off.

For the weekend: I'll catch up on house stuff and hopefully not work too hard on school stuff since I did an extra day of planning yesterday.

• Like 4