Menu

Well-trained bodies - November

Laura Corin

8 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

I let dd5 come with me the other day and it made my 20 minute walk take 40 minutes. Today, though, we're heading to a nature preserve to hike with friends. Also, now that ds16 is done with cross country, I go birding with him once or twice a week. (But have you ever walked with a birder? You're lucky if you go one mile per hour!)

Honestly, that's how things go with my dog, too. I make much better, more consistent time without her, even though I often feel like she is pulling me along once she has decided it's time to go home. The first part of the walk, when she is stopping every three steps to smell something or bark at someone, slows my pace considerably.

• Like 4

The rain never did let up yesterday, so I ended up doing a Leslie Sansome video as my evening "walk." It worked out, though, because I chose one of the ones where she does some upper arm/resistance band stuff, which I figured made up for at least some of the two days I skipped strength work this week. 

I took a quick (1.5K) walk with the dog this morning and then dragged my husband with me to go on a two-mile guided walking tour of historic trees. It was a lot of fun (even he admitted it) and a nice way to log some mileage, even if the pace was slow. One stop had us on the shore of a large lake nearby, which was really pretty.

We then wandered the food and music festival in the historic downtown area, allowing me to log another couple of (slow) kilometers. 

I've already met my step count for the day, but if the weather allows, I'll try to work in one more decent walk tonight just to add another couple of kilometers towards my walking challenge.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 424.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 252 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles 

IMG_20211106_094450442_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Howdie!

I've been pretty bad since Halloween (which was also a birthday that involved no fewer than 9 cakes/pastries).  It didn't help that my kid decided to bake cupcakes a couple days later.  Gotta get rid of this soft stuff growing at my middle!  And I'm also getting stiff and creaky as I have been neglecting both yoga and TKD in favor of my kids' and pup's many activities/needs.

I've done a bit of playing around with my pup, but that isn't nearly enough.  The weather was mostly rainy for the past few weeks.

This month I plan to do the 5K turkey trot on Thanskgiving, and try to prepare for my 2nd degree black belt test which may or may not happen in December.  It might be too late for the blackbelt test, but I can at least work on my 3 forms.  I also have an upcoiming wedding for which I'd rather be back at my normal healthy weight.

I bought an online course for my kid called "train like an olympic runner" or something like that.  Now that their 3 fall activities are over, I will see about getting my kid to work on this (she runs 5k's in the cool months), and I'll see if I can also do any of it.  I can't really run thanks to my knees, but maybe I can do an old lady version of some of it.

Today I did my "daily" exercise with yoga etc.  I say "daily" in quotes, because it's been a long time since I did it multiple days in a row, so maybe it's more aspirational at this point.  😕  But very possible.

I plan to take my pup for a nice long hilly walk today, if he cooperates.  And I hope to do some more of the "yoga etc." stuff today, to make up for being so lazy recently.  I hope to start a better morning routine going forward.

• Like 5

I did get out for another 2K last night with the dog. We would have stayed out longer, but our walk coincided with our neighborhood's fall festival fireworks, and the dog was not having any of that. (We are close enough to the theme parks to see fireworks more or less nightly, but they are launched from far enough away that the noise doesn't bother her. These were up close and personal.)

Walked about 4.4K this morning and plan to go wander a craft festival at a local park this afternoon. Then, depending on weather and how long it takes me to finish my schoolwork for this week, I'll either go out for another walk with the dog, pace the living room or do a video walk to finish off the day.

Now that I've walked a couple of in-person 5Ks with decent results, I'm starting to feel itchy about a new challenge. I've about decided to sign up for the 10K when registration for the WDW spring events opens, but I would also like to be working towards increasing my speed and possibly integrating some running into my routine. I have arthritis in both knees and neuropathy in both feet/lower legs (which makes my legs weaker than they should be), but I really, really envy the speed and freedom that running offers. So I am considering splurging on signing up with a coach of some kind who can help me work towards those goals. My husband's employer offers memberships in a few different wellness platforms, so I plan to try out what we can get access to for free first, but if anyone has suggestions for paid services that might be worth me looking into, I'd appreciate hearing them. 

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 431.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 253 Days

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I did get out for another 2K last night with the dog. We would have stayed out longer, but our walk coincided with our neighborhood's fall festival fireworks, and the dog was not having any of that. (We are close enough to the theme parks to see fireworks more or less nightly, but they are launched from far enough away that the noise doesn't bother her. These were up close and personal.)

Walked about 4.4K this morning and plan to go wander a craft festival at a local park this afternoon. Then, depending on weather and how long it takes me to finish my schoolwork for this week, I'll either go out for another walk with the dog, pace the living room or do a video walk to finish off the day.

Now that I've walked a couple of in-person 5Ks with decent results, I'm starting to feel itchy about a new challenge. I've about decided to sign up for the 10K when registration for the WDW spring events opens, but I would also like to be working towards increasing my speed and possibly integrating some running into my routine. I have arthritis in both knees and neuropathy in both feet/lower legs (which makes my legs weaker than they should be), but I really, really envy the speed and freedom that running offers. So I am considering splurging on signing up with a coach of some kind who can help me work towards those goals. My husband's employer offers memberships in a few different wellness platforms, so I plan to try out what we can get access to for free first, but if anyone has suggestions for paid services that might be worth me looking into, I'd appreciate hearing them. 

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 431.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 253 Days

My husband and I both used Couch to 5K - the NHS version, and then I also did Zombies Run app. I completely understand that you might need more personal coaching, but just in case it's useful. The key is to repeat any week that doesn't feel pretty easy by the end, and to make sure that you do squats or equivalent in addition,  so that you have good support for your joints. I have arthritis in one knee and the various niggles of being almost 59.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/

• Like 3

Got in a nice evening walk yesterday and had an overall productive day. I helped dh do vehicle work, planned bday stuff for my younger 2, did some housework, and cooked yummy food. 

Woke up way too early (2:30) but am hoping for an afternoon nap. 

-did a 45 min upperbody strength workout this am- aiming for a walk some time

Need to make a kale salad today

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/kale-crunch-salad/

(I use honey for the sweetener) and will topped with roasted almonds and pomegranate

Also, want to make a pumpkin bread and/or more pumpkin pancakes (high protein with cottage cheese, oats, and eggs)

https://cleananddelicious.com/video-high-protein-pumpkin-pancakes-clean-delicious/

I just finished my last batch I made and polished off my kale salad this weekend. 

I'm going to do some food tracking to help get my eating back on track. My dr's appointment is this week- which means we can adjust my meds- I'm hoping that combined with the better schedule will get me back on track. I have been exercising and eating has been ok. But my sleep isn't the best. My energy is not great. Meals are decent but I'm snacking too much right now and having too many indulgences.

• Like 4

Walked another couple of kilometers with the dog last night, which puts me on my fourth or fifth day of meeting or exceeding the 9K per day of tracked walking I would need to actually make my 500K by the deadline. I feel like I'm "cheating" a bit by counting things I haven't in the past, but on the other hand, it's my challenge and I can make my own rules.

Started today with a 4K walk followed by my usual Monday floor-based strength exercises. I have work followed by class time tonight, and I have to use my lunch break to drive my bonus YA to work. So not exactly sure how much more walking I will be able to log, but I will try to be creative about it.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 442.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 254 Days

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Walked another couple of kilometers with the dog last night, which puts me on my fourth or fifth day of meeting or exceeding the 9K per day of tracked walking I would need to actually make my 500K by the deadline. I feel like I'm "cheating" a bit by counting things I haven't in the past, but on the other hand, it's my challenge and I can make my own rules.

Started today with a 4K walk followed by my usual Monday floor-based strength exercises. I have work followed by class time tonight, and I have to use my lunch break to drive my bonus YA to work. So not exactly sure how much more walking I will be able to log, but I will try to be creative about it.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 442.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 254 Days

Yes—it IS your challenge and you do get to make the rules. Creativity is a good thing and, more importantly, so is recognizing the dedication to healthy movement in all its variation. 😎

• Like 2

I did Yoga for when you're sick this morning. I just have a little niggling sore throat, but it's enough to not be able to go into school. The district nurse will call at some point and I may need to get a Covid test. Two years ago I would totally go to work feeling like this. But lots of people feel like this when they have Covid.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I did Yoga for when you're sick this morning. I just have a little niggling sore throat, but it's enough to not be able to go into school. The district nurse will call at some point and I may need to get a Covid test. Two years ago I would totally go to work feeling like this. But lots of people feel like this when they have Covid.

Hope you're feeling better soon! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

How are you today?

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

I walked the dog for about 30 min in the sunshine at noon and again for 45 min in the dark. I much prefer the sunshine, but with the time change our late afternoons get dark way too early. 😜 I hate the time change!

I hate it getting dark earlier but I love that I finish my teaching day earlier. It makes my schedule run much more smoothly.

• Like 3

1 hr of yoga yesterday evening + a nice walk in the afternoon

This am- 45 min lower body- today was so many lunges and I'm still a bit sore from Friday and all the squats.

I'm not feeling 100% but not horrible. Like I'm thinking about getting sick. 

Did make pumpkin bread, did not get to kale salad or pumpkin pancakes. Maybe today.

tracked food yesterday- eating was decent. 

Planning for another walk at some point, the weather is really nice right now.

• Like 4

My husband ended up driving our bonus YA to work yesterday, so I used my lunch break to walk to the HOA office to drop off some paperwork. After class last night, I had to record a preliminary job interview (which I am 100% certain I tanked, sigh), and by the time all of that was over the dog had no interest in going out with me again. So I walked by myself for about 40 minutes.

Walked just about 4K this morning, followed by strength and stretching. 

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 452.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 255 Days

• Like 4

I've been relatively good today for the 3rd day in a row.  (Well, I'm not counting the Halloween candy I stole from my kids last night instead of eating dinner.  Nor the cookies that my kid baked.  You have to eat their cookies, right?)

Today I took the pup for a walk, a little longer than the past 2 days, and ran around a bit in the yard.  The problem with running with him these days is that he gets too excited and makes poor choices.  (Well, that and his full running speed is about 100x mine.)

After that and some housework, I did some yoga outside.  Being on pup duty, I have to get creative about yoga, because he takes the poses as a signal that I want to play with him.  Today I started out in the backyard where we could see each other through the door.  He whined, so I thought, why not have him out on the front yard while I stretch on the front porch?  But I forgot to bring him something to play with, so he started digging.  Live and learn, mom.

I ate an orange and a yogurt.  I do need to eat some starches, in order to use up overstock and make room for better things (or just for air!).  I've started working on the stash of Ramen noodles that was purchased when my kids were on a Ramen kick.  Yesterday I didn't add all of the seasoning due to the sodium content, but it was not tasty, so I decided what the heck ... I'll add it all and just not drink the broth.  I've been eating the old starches along with packets of broccoli that come in a frozen dinner my kid likes ... she eats the meat but leaves the broccoli.  With a tiny bit of cheese melted on top, it's pretty good.  While all this does not sound like health food, it's better than all the cake and candy I ate last week ....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Soror said:

1 hr of yoga yesterday evening + a nice walk in the afternoon

This am- 45 min lower body- today was so many lunges and I'm still a bit sore from Friday and all the squats.

I'm not feeling 100% but not horrible. Like I'm thinking about getting sick. 

Did make pumpkin bread, did not get to kale salad or pumpkin pancakes. Maybe today.

tracked food yesterday- eating was decent. 

Planning for another walk at some point, the weather is really nice right now.

Hope you're feeling 100% soon!  I was feeling like this on Saturday and Sunday. Nothing concrete, just slightly off for unknown reasons. 

• Like 3

I'm feeling a bit better today. I decided I have a mild cold that my immune system is fighting off well-it never progressed to full cold, but I definitely felt some immune system effects. Tired. That back of the throat scratchiness that almost feels like a sore throat. Because of the throat, when I did my Covid screening for school, I was denied entry (as I knew I would be) and I got a sub for Monday. Then I had to get a Covid test (in order to be able to return to work). Then I find out the tests take 24-48 hours, so I would likely be out today too. And I hated being home--it was a level of illness we definitely used to "work through". And the sore throat went away (but I was still tired, low appetite, obviously not fully well). I put in for a sub for today before I went to bed last night, then when I woke up (after sleeping in), I found in my negative test results in my email (emailed at 10:30 the night before, 8 hours after the test, not 24-48). So I canceled my sub and rushed to get ready for work and was very happy to be there.

No exercise today (remember, I slept in). Lots of sleep the last couple of days. Feeling pretty okay, sometimes had to cough while teaching and then I was thankful to know I jumped through the hoops and knew I'm not spreading Covid. Double-masked too, so not spreading my cold either.

• Like 5

Argh, getting out for walks has not been working and it gets dark early!

Updated goals:

1) Keep going with NML beginner workout.

2) Foam roll daily all week because one knee is starting to get sore and that has forced me to quit workout programs before.

3) Get to know WW's new points program. Track daily W-Sun.

4) Walk half a mile mid-morning and another half around 3 pm. (Basically, walk when I usually boredom-eat.) I hope that setting a time for walking will help me be consistent.

Emily

• Like 6

Crossing fingers I don't blow it in the remaining few days, but the combination of turning on my tracker when I wouldn't normally do so (grocery shopping, wandering craft festivals, etc.) and just pushing for slightly longer morning and evening walks seems to have put me in a good place to complete my 500K by the 11/15 deadline.

I took a quick lunch-time walk yesterday and a solid 3.6K in the evening. This morning, my eyes were a little big for my stomach, walking-wise, and I took the dog and myself a little farther afield than was ideal. It was a nice morning and a good day for walking, but I didn't really have time before work for the nearly 5K we ended up going. I wrestled with whether to skip strength and stretching, but ultimately decided to just give my team a heads up that I would run a little late getting online.

The weather is really pleasant, and I have nothing specific on my calendar either personally or for work, so I will again do either two short walks or one longer one to log my distance.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 463.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 256 Days

• Like 6

Howdie, happy Wednesday!  This morning I walked the pup a wee bit longer, and did most of my "yoga etc." with my pup watching me through the kitchen door.

I'm starting to get into a good morning routine, but I need to tweak it in order to do all the things I want to do.  I want to trade in my excuses for accomplishments.  🙂

Long story short, I need to force some early alone time for things I can't do with the pup underfoot.  I can't totally control my morning schedule, but I need to find a way to be alone for even five or ten minutes before I sit down to work.  And then just a few minutes here and there throughout the day.  So I'm working on a plan for that.

• Like 6

Walked last night in what turned out to be heavier rain than I anticipated. I didn't mind, but the dog was pretty unhappy about it. 

This morning was nice, though, and we walked just over 4K. Now that I've proved to myself that 4K is a reasonable morning goal, I'm hoping to stick with it for a while.

I spent about 25 minutes on strength and stretching stuff, including increasing the number of reps I'm doing of some movements, but that was all I had time for before work.

Other than schoolwork (and possibly starting to prep for another round of job interviews), there is nothing specific on the calendar for tonight. So, I will plan for a solid walk later. Our neighborhood has the monthly food truck gathering this evening. There is never anything I can eat being offered, but I am thinking it might be fun to wander up to the clubhouse and see what's happening.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 471.1 of 500K (Aiming for 8K/day until 11/15)
Daily Walking Streak: 257 Days

• Like 4

I went for an hour-long walk with a friend and then played almost 2 hours of tennis yesterday evening. I have to rest up and try to recover quickly this morning, as I'm playing more tennis later today. Last night's tennis was outside in the cold, but fortunately today I get to play indoors! 

• Like 6

Not to be a broken record, but I took the pup for a walk this morning ... a little longer than yesterday.  I was not able to have any morning time alone, so I was only able to do standing exercises (out of my "yoga etc." routine) so far.  That is maybe a third of my overall routine.  Better than nothing.  Hope to finish more later.

• Like 6

Very busy at work yesterday.  I worked straight through lunch but bowed out at four before I made - more - mistakes through tiredness. Went for a walk in the dark and rain, then did some yoga after psychology class.  Managed to sleep well.

Tomorrow we hope to go to the Highlands for a walk.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

Just barely reached my 8K goal with a walk last night. 

I'm feeling really draggy, both physically and emotionally, this morning, but did manage just over 4K of walking and the usual floor-based Friday exercise. We'll just have to see how the rest of the day goes. 

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 479.4 of 500K (Aiming for 8K/day until 11/15)
Daily Walking Streak: 258 Days

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Took a rest day on Wednesday.

Thursday I did Upper Body strength

Friday- 5 ish mile hike with friends!!! We are going to start meeting (or trying to meet) every week for a hike/walk. I'm so excited. I've never had friends to hike with and need some friend time. 

I didn't have time to do my workout before the hike yesterday and honestly didn't feel like doing 30 minutes of burpees before or after that. 

Today- 1 hr- full body strength training- tomorrow- 30 min burpee HIIT

I don't know if I'll get a walk today. It is the opening day of hunting season plus I'm teaching (for a new company) this am and then have stuff to do with dh. We'll see. 

• Like 3

Played more tennis outdoors yesterday evening - third day in a row of tennis. I expected to be extra tired and sore, but wasn't too bad. I also went for a lovely walk in the sunshine yesterday early afternoon with a couple friends. I took a mid-day break from work to walk in sunshine, and it was excellent! 

Today is a rest and recovery day. I did take the dog for a long walk (1.5 hrs) in our local woods. Most of the leaves are off the trees now, so it's looking a little bleak. 

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 8:53 AM, Jenny in Florida said:

Just barely reached my 8K goal with a walk last night. 

I'm feeling really draggy, both physically and emotionally, this morning, but did manage just over 4K of walking and the usual floor-based Friday exercise. We'll just have to see how the rest of the day goes. 

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 479.4 of 500K (Aiming for 8K/day until 11/15)
Daily Walking Streak: 258 Days

"Draggy" is the perfect term for what I've been feeling lately, too! Great job getting in your walking despite the dragginess. 😉

On 11/12/2021 at 3:06 AM, Laura Corin said:

Very busy at work yesterday.  I worked straight through lunch but bowed out at four before I made - more - mistakes through tiredness. Went for a walk in the dark and rain, then did some yoga after psychology class.  Managed to sleep well.

Tomorrow we hope to go to the Highlands for a walk.

Enjoy your hike in the Highlands! We'd love to see photos!!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Enjoy your hike in the Highlands! We'd love to see photos!!

Here you go. Ten mile walk from the same car park we started from last month, but this time walking up a different glen. Less spectacular but worthwhile for a change. Perfect weather - dry and 10 degrees C.

20211113_125354.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Here you go. Ten mile walk from the same car park we started from last month, but this time walking up a different glen. Less spectacular but worthwhile for a change. Perfect weather - dry and 10 degrees C.

20211113_125354.jpg

Gorgeous landscape! Glad you had perfect weather.

• Thanks 1

Walked some last night.

Walked 3.5K this morning.

Spent about 90 minutes climbing up and down the step ladder putting up stuff on the walls in my office/craft room.

Turned on my tracker for the downtown "backyard oasis" tour and logged another (slow) 5.3K.

Took the dog out for a quick 1.5K this evening.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 493.8 of 500K (Aiming for 8K/day until 11/15)
Daily Walking Streak: 259 Days

• Like 3

I did the math after walking last night and realized that, once I walked the 5K to earn my bonus badge in my walking challenge, I will be able to finish the 500K without counting the WDW 5K. (My usual rule for these things is that I don't "double dip," or count the same mileage for more than one challenge.) That makes me feel better about completing the challenge without "cheating." 

I took the dog for a quick around-the-block ramble this morning, then went out by myself to do the virtual 5K for the badge. When I got home, she wanted to go out again, so we went around the block another couple of times. All told, it was about 6.7K. 

I am on deck to drive our bonus YA to and from work today, but I hope to do some more unpacking and such in my office. (That counts as exercise, right?) And I will go out for the usual evening walk later, which should finish off the 5K.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 495.2 of 500K (Aiming for 8K/day until 11/15)
Daily Walking Streak: 260 Days

• Like 4