Menu

Well-trained bodies - November

Laura Corin

Truly nasty weather today, ugh. I think my best bet is to force myself onto the ancient wind-bike in the basement and do PT stuff today. The bike was originally my in-laws', and we took it because why not take a free exercise bike. But it's awful and we both avoid it, so it's really just taking up space. But I have not yet started my Conqueror challenge, and I'd like to get rolling. At least with the ancient bike I can watch a TV show at the same time. I'm also doing a huge, intense work project this week, so I need to stay efficient with what's easily at hand. It will be a tough week and I will be glad when the holiday is here. 

• Like 5

I did a longer yoga session first thing than normal - mostly floor work because I'm often a bit wobbly if I exercise before breakfast. Then I ordered myself a new yoga candle and finished a first draft of my essay. 

This afternoon, just before dark, I took up some grass to increase the size of the bed next to the sun room to add more winter/spring interest - heather, hellebore,  snowdrops and narcissus. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6

Didn't feel great this weekend. Between my flu shot Friday evening, my period starting Sat (and worse than usual) and this mouth sore that won't go away (making eating painful and tedious). Sigh.

I did my hour of strength training Sat (with lighter weights) and an easy 30 minutes of walking Sunday and that was pretty much it. 

I didn't sleep enough last night (should have went to bed earlier and also woke up at 3:30) but am feeling better. 

45ish min of lower body strength work and hopefully a decent walk today.

• Like 2

Howdie.  Yesterday (Sunday) I walked more than I had on any recent day, but only part of it was with the pup.  The pup was fascinated by the first snow and just had to snorfle it all along our medium-length walk.  😛

I didn't do most of my "yoga etc." yesterday.  I had a lot going on though.  I will try doubling it today.

Today is a big work deadline day, and I'm behind, so we'll see what happens.  Long story short, I hope I manage to work a walk in later today.

• Like 6

I'm on week 4 of the Nourish Move Love beginner plan #1 (which is 30 days long).

This week's goals:

1) Finish NML week 4 without making my wrists flare up. I need to be gentle with myself. My legs feel so good!

2) Keep to one snack a day, mid-afternoon. Take a short (half-mile) walk mid-morning instead of boredom eating.

3) Drink water all day. Fill my stainless steel cup at 10, 12, and 2, at least, and leave at top of 2nd floor stairs to make drinking easy. (We live in a 3-floor house and I feel like I run up and down the stairs all day.)

Emily

• Like 5

@Soror - I'm sorry you had a yucky weekend. Hope things get better over the next few days.

I did manage to log my full 500K for the fall challenge as of this morning's walk. I'm still smarting from feeling like I cut it too close, so the moral of this story is that I need to be more intentional about tacking even when weather forces me to indoor walking starting right from the beginning when the Holiday Hustle challenge starts tomorrow.

Strength and stretching were a little abbreviated this morning because I dawdled a bit with some chores and had to be ready for the morning kick-off call for work by 8:45. But I did get through most of the regular MWF set.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 501.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 261 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles

Fall Frenzy 2021.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

@Jenn in FL GREAT JOB!!!! You did it! Be proud and celebrate the success. Many big efforts require a big burst at the end—what’s important is that you achieved what you set out to do and did so despite the challenges. Now it’s time to reward yourself. 🥳

@Laura Corin I adore the pictures you post and I think your new garden expansion is a lovely, proactive idea.

• Like 3

Lower body and core this morning. 

Not whining (okay, maybe a little), but musing on my midlife body: I totally did 60 sit-ups/crunches on the ball. 3 sets of 20 each. I could have done more sets. Also did weighted double-bridges (40). And the whole rest of the workout—single leg squats with hip abduction, lunges, ups/downs on a step, weighted leg lifts, weighted knee lifts. This is the intensity I put in 2-3 times each week, filling in with longvwalks or recumbent biking in between. So I should have washboard abs, right?!? But I do not. In fact, I have a squishy heavy tummy and do not look very fit. So I just want to know WHY, lol. 

I do my best just to feel proud of being strong and being in a much, much healthier frame than five years ago. Celebrate. Yet it is also discouraging to work hard and be heavy. 

• Like 5

Unsurprisingly (thanks to a "Big Work Deadline"), I didn't do anything physical on Monday, other than stay up way too late, and miss meals.  Someday I'm gonna get better about procrastinating!

Today I had some work projects to finish up in the morning, but then I took the pup for a nice walk in the middle of the work day.  It was so nice.  Too bad we can't do that more often.  Or maybe we can, if I can ever get that procrastination under control ....

I haven't done my yoga today.  Might skip it in favor of catching up on sleep.  Hoping tomorrow is back to relatively normal.

• Like 4

DD13 and I managed to walk yesterday before sunset (though we got home afterwards). It is hard with the days so short.

I started my daily NML workout, but it was focused on the shoulders and back. My shoulders make weird popping noises whenever I do shoulder exercises, so after one round, I found a PT video on youtube and spent the time stretching my shoulders. I will add in a few shoulder exercises when I foam roll and see if I can get them to stop popping. The popping doesn't hurt, but I'm nervous I might be causing long term harm.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

This is the intensity I put in 2-3 times each week, filling in with longvwalks or recumbent biking in between. So I should have washboard abs, right?!? But I do not. In fact, I have a squishy heavy tummy and do not look very fit. So I just want to know WHY, lol. 

I do my best just to feel proud of being strong and being in a much, much healthier frame than five years ago. Celebrate. Yet it is also discouraging to work hard and be heavy. 

I am very much in the same boat. I don't exercise with the intensity that you do, but I am diligent about doing my routine. I look around me and see that I am doing a whole lot more than most people I know: walking 14,000+ steps every day, doing 20-30 minutes of (low) weight-bearing exercises Monday - Friday, hopping on the stationary bike occasionally, etc. 

And yet I still look and feel squishy, too. 

I try to remember that, in my case, much of this routine is intended to stave off additional decline and pain related to arthritis and neuropathy and such, not to turn me into a model (which was never going to be in the cards, even when I was a whole lot younger). However, it is definitely discouraging when I go looking for something to wear to a work event tomorrow and pull clothes out of the closet that I bought two years ago and have never had a chance to wear . . . only to discover I can't even shove my arms and legs into those garments.

I'm sorry you're riding this same wave.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went to work in the office yesterday and then out to dinner with my son and his girlfriend, so no time to check in here. I did walk morning and evening, although with the schedule I just managed my step goal with no extra. I spent only about 10 minutes on wall push-ups and mini-squats yesterday morning before I had to pull myself together and run out the door.

The new seasonal walking challenge started yesterday, and I really want to stay on top of it this time so I don't need to scrape together mileage at the end. The rushed morning yesterday wasn't a great start.

Better today so far. I walked almost 4.5K this morning and then did a full 30-ish minutes of strength and stretching stuff.

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 11.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 263 Days

• Like 4

Walked just over a mile (four laps on the lane next to the house). The weather was unseasonably gorgeous, which made it easier to prioritize the walk. Cloudy and windy and high 60s with the indescribably October leaf smell. Dd joined me by phone for 3/4 of the walk, which made it all the better. Then when I was done I logged this one and half a mile from Monday onto my Challenger course--this was more satisfying than I thought it would be, LOL. And silly as it is, I enjoyed looking at the street view of where I walked along the trail in Ireland. So far, just some suburban moderish buildings and a hedgerow along the road. 

• Like 4

@Harriet Vane - I enjoy those virtual challenges, too. I'm doing a year-long, how-far-can-you-go one that has me "walking" kind of a twisty path across the U.S., and I get a weird little rush every time I cross into a new state. (Currently, I'm in Indiana, just past Fort Wayne.)

Walked as usual last night, about 4.4K. Walked another 4K-ish this morning and did the regular Tuesday/Thursday standing exercise set.

Unclear what the rest of the day holds, because I have a work social event this afternoon and early evening, but I will make it a priority to get my steps for the day one way or another. (Although I will say that having to make a just-before-the-store-closed dash to Target last night for black pants because I was unable to find anything in my closet that fit over my hips besides my daily ratty jeans, leggings and sweat pants may motivate me to be better about what I eat.) 

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 20.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 264 Days

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday, in addition to walking my pup, I played outside with him enough to call it a cardio exercise, LOL. 

Have gone 3 days without doing yoga, not including today.

I have not done any exercise yet today, because it's raining and I have work I need to finish first.  Hopefully I will have a positive update later.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

@Harriet Vane and @Jenny in Florida those virtual walks sound like fun. Do you have the link to the Ireland walk? I could use some imaginary time away from my neighbourhood walks. 😄

I'm not sure which challenge Harriet Vane is doing, but I did a bunch of these when I first started trying to walk more intentionally.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Harriet Vane and @Jenny in Florida those virtual walks sound like fun. Do you have the link to the Ireland walk? I could use some imaginary time away from my neighbourhood walks. 😄

I only just started this week, so I'm only a few miles in. For the moment I think it will take me a while to get it done because I do not walk every day. BUT I am hoping after I turn in my next work project (due right before the holiday) to add in more bike time and more walking time. It would be fun to have someone along for the ride. 😀 

Ring of Kerry Virtual Challenge | The Conqueror Virtual Challenges

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I did that one when it was introduced! The virtual scenery was lovely.

I also did the Great Ocean Road challenge at some point, and the scenery was a little disappointing, since basically every day just showed water.

IMG_20211118_141324085.jpg

Wow! It's just lovely to see the medals in a real person's house, not in the marketing on the official website, kwim? Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 4

It was rainy and gross when we got home from the work party last night, so I paced the living room and front hallway to log my steps and mileage for the day. 

Still overcast but fortunately not actually raining this morning, so the dog and I got out for a 4.25K walk, after which she supervised me doing my usual Friday floor exercises.

We'll see what the weather does later, but the plan is to get out for another solid walk this evening after I pick up our bonus YA from work.

I'm trying to nudge my husband to accompany me to an outdoor antiques festival tomorrow, which would offer both the possibility of finding a few things we still want for the house and an opportunity to log some steps in a venue other than our own neighborhood. Thus far, he is unenthused. I may go without him, but that would be less productive since I am unlikely to buy decorative stuff for the house without his input. We'll just have to see which way he falls.

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 27.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 265 Days

• Like 4

PT this morning, and now I am upset.

I meet with a trainer twice a week. I never thought I would be a fancy person with a fancy trainer, LOL. When I hired her, my PT at the time felt I had been successful and was ready to graduate, but I was still sooooo unsteady. So much pain. So much muscle ache and bone-crushing exhaustion. I decided to take on the expense of a personal trainer just for a couple months to keep working towards gaining the proper strength needed to be "normal." After a couple months, I realized that even though I was working harder than ever in my entire life, I still wasn't strong enough. Not there yet. So I convinced dh the expense was worth it for a couple more months. The trainer has never, ever pressured me to sign on for more. I just benefited so much from working with her that I didn't want to stop, and after a while it was obvious that investing in my health is worthwhile. I'd rather have my trainer than new clothes or new furniture or fancy vacations or a pet. She's really, really smart and creative. My joints shift a LOT and I am always injured somewhere due to the connective tissue disorder I have (EDS). My trainer has been incredibly creative rolling with the ever-shifting landscape of my body. All of my progress and my current muscle mass and balance are due to her.

So I learned this morning that she is leaving the gym. I adore this gym and will retain my membership there--it's close to home and small and it has been a happy place for me. I will gladly hire my trainer to just come to my house, or I will gladly go where she is for training. But a big part of why she is leaving is due to the gym feeling that they own her other skills. My trainer teaches gyrotonics elsewhere--a certification she pursued and paid for on her own. Her move is to concentrate on gyrotonics. She's not allowed to bring her clients elsewhere. The same kind of idiotic phenomenon happens when someone leaves a beauty salon. There are whole industries of low-paid workers who are under restrictive and unfair non-compete clauses. 

I pay only a tiny bit more for my gym membership than I would for Planet Fitness because they give me a teacher discount. I would gladly do my own independent work-outs at the gym for the sheer convenience of them being so close and having good equipment, and then meet with my trainer separately on my own terms at my house or her house or her gyrotonics studio. But I don't think that will fly, and I don't know what I am going to do.

So I do not know how this will play out, but I don't want to "break in" a new trainer. I want MY TRAINER, the one who fixed me after a devastating illness.

• Sad 5

Nice walk along a river into town to pick up coffee, then back out to the hospital for Husband's booster. I might come back this evening for a drop-in slot. Eta managed to get appointment for tomorrow.

Pj sun salutations this morning.  I'll do some yoga later. Ankle is cranky and I'm missing running. Thinking about a rowing machine again.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

We had a doozy of a week and I missed two days of exercise.

DS16's one-in-a-million cross country coach announced he was leaving at their end-of-season banquet. I don't think I've seen so many teenage boys cry IN MY LIFE. Of course the moms were crying, but the 18-year-old guys?

But, last night, I started up the exercise videos and got in a power yoga workout before bed. 

DD13 has prompted me to walk a few times, which has been really helpful. I climbed stairs on the days it was too icky outside to go out for just a few minutes. I need to make the effort to go outside on icky days, because I always feel like it lifts a load off my shoulders.

Emily

ETA: The cross country coach stepping down was only one of a handful of things that made this week a doozy... the only one I feel I can talk about. But boy, this week was one I'd be happy to never repeat.

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Sad 5

17 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

PT this morning, and now I am upset.

I meet with a trainer twice a week. I never thought I would be a fancy person with a fancy trainer, LOL. When I hired her, my PT at the time felt I had been successful and was ready to graduate, but I was still sooooo unsteady. So much pain. So much muscle ache and bone-crushing exhaustion. I decided to take on the expense of a personal trainer just for a couple months to keep working towards gaining the proper strength needed to be "normal." After a couple months, I realized that even though I was working harder than ever in my entire life, I still wasn't strong enough. Not there yet. So I convinced dh the expense was worth it for a couple more months. The trainer has never, ever pressured me to sign on for more. I just benefited so much from working with her that I didn't want to stop, and after a while it was obvious that investing in my health is worthwhile. I'd rather have my trainer than new clothes or new furniture or fancy vacations or a pet. She's really, really smart and creative. My joints shift a LOT and I am always injured somewhere due to the connective tissue disorder I have (EDS). My trainer has been incredibly creative rolling with the ever-shifting landscape of my body. All of my progress and my current muscle mass and balance are due to her.

So I learned this morning that she is leaving the gym. I adore this gym and will retain my membership there--it's close to home and small and it has been a happy place for me. I will gladly hire my trainer to just come to my house, or I will gladly go where she is for training. But a big part of why she is leaving is due to the gym feeling that they own her other skills. My trainer teaches gyrotonics elsewhere--a certification she pursued and paid for on her own. Her move is to concentrate on gyrotonics. She's not allowed to bring her clients elsewhere. The same kind of idiotic phenomenon happens when someone leaves a beauty salon. There are whole industries of low-paid workers who are under restrictive and unfair non-compete clauses. 

I pay only a tiny bit more for my gym membership than I would for Planet Fitness because they give me a teacher discount. I would gladly do my own independent work-outs at the gym for the sheer convenience of them being so close and having good equipment, and then meet with my trainer separately on my own terms at my house or her house or her gyrotonics studio. But I don't think that will fly, and I don't know what I am going to do.

So I do not know how this will play out, but I don't want to "break in" a new trainer. I want MY TRAINER, the one who fixed me after a devastating illness.

Usually there's a time frame for things like that. So, you can't go with her now, but you might be allowed to in six or twelve months. Is that a possibility? Or is it a moot point by then?

• Like 2

@Harriet Vane - Man, that sucks about your trainer. I'm so sorry.

@EmilyGF - I'm sorry about your doozy of a week, too. Hope things get better from here.

Whatever is going on with my chest when I swallow is still going on, and it's making me feel kind of lousy. That combined with the drizzly, rotten weather kept me inside pacing for steps last night. 

I did get outside to walk this morning, but didn't quite get to my 4K goal. We've more or less decided to skip the antiques fair, because I just don't think I'm going to be any fun.

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 35.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 266 Days

• Like 3

On 11/18/2021 at 12:34 PM, Harriet Vane said:

I only just started this week, so I'm only a few miles in. For the moment I think it will take me a while to get it done because I do not walk every day. BUT I am hoping after I turn in my next work project (due right before the holiday) to add in more bike time and more walking time. It would be fun to have someone along for the ride. 😀 

Ring of Kerry Virtual Challenge | The Conqueror Virtual Challenges

We do those virtual walks, too! DS13 and I completed the solar system challenge from Pacer, plus a few others. Now we are doing the Amalfi Coast.

20210928_152737.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Decided to walk to my booster appointment. 8 1/2 miles over the hill. A bit frosty last night and gorgeous crisp sunshine today.

It turned into a bit of a gratitude walk - I've been very grumpy recently and I need to reset. So I thought about family and friends, the vaccine developers and volunteer vaccinators, the charity that worked to put in the gates and markers for the trail I was walking, and of course, all the NHS and other key staff. 

Just made it in time for my appointment.  

20211121_091358.jpg

20211121_091755.jpg

20211121_102511.jpg

20211121_092329.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We didn't make it to the antiques fair yesterday, due to weather and me still feeling crummy. We opted to do a little holiday donation shopping, instead, but then ended up wandering Disney Springs for a couple of hours. I kept my challenge tracker turned on while we were there, so my pace will be extremely slow, but I did log over 6K in the afternoon. In the evening, I took the dog out for another couple of kilometers. 

I finally gave up and hit CentraCare this morning, where they diagnosed me with bronchitis, which might explain why I'm feeling so exhausted on top of the other symptoms. All I managed this morning was about 3.5K of walking. 

Hoping that the prescriptions and some rest will do the trick quickly and I will have more energy soon,

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 48.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 267 Days

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Checking in for accountability.   Got all my workouts in the week. I planned my workouts for this week to have Thursday as a rest day and just enjoy time with my kids and grandbabies.   Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating this week.  

• Like 5

I can't remember if I walked on Friday.

I took the pup for a nice long walk on Saturday.  I also did a lot of bending and stretching via housework.

I didn't do any real exercise on Sunday.  Long story but it didn't happen.

This morning I took the pup for a walk ... medium length.

I have neglected my "yoga etc." for several days.  Hope to get back to it today.

The Halloween candy is almost gone ... just in time for Thanksgiving fattening.  😛

• Like 6

It felt really good to play tennis yesterday. Running around and smacking tennis balls is really satisfying. It's too back I can't play more indoors in the winter months to keep up my form. It's too hard to get court times, not to mention expensive.

It'll be great when I can start skiing, as it's fun and intense full-body activity, yet easier on the joints than running. I wouldn't mind finding another similar (full-body low impact) physical activity that is less dependent on snow and also open during Covid. Maybe our local indoor skating rinks are open. That could be a good alternative! 

• Like 4

I finally got back to doing my "daily" "yoga etc."  Hope I can keep it up.

I played an outside game with my pup that involves a fair amount of running (chasing balls before they go down the hill etc.),  It is a bit of a workout for someone lazy like me.  😛

• Like 5