Menu

Well-trained bodies - November

Laura Corin

Walked about 4.5K last night and another 4.2 this morning.

Did about 25 minutes of standing exercises.

Still dealing with the maybe-bronchitis, so feeling kind of draggy and slow, but (so far) sticking with meeting my bare minimum daily goals. 

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 66.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 269 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles

• Like 5

It's cold outside now! I just went for an evening walk with dh and my face was freezing and getting numb. Temps were 23F (-5C). It's going to take a while to get used to this winter weather again. 🥶

I looked around for indoor ice skating, and I will have a few daytime options. I just have to try and navigate around work. It's great they're even offering indoor skating this year. It wasn't happening at all last year. 

• Like 2

@wintermom - Seeing your temps makes me feel like a wimp for complaining about the "cold" here in Florida. It was just over 50 degrees when I went out for a walk this morning, and I bundled up even for that.

My son came over last night to help my husband with a house project. (Son is recently unemployed and suddenly very available for any chores or projects we're willing to pay him to do, which I am happy to indulge.) I didn't get out for a walk until after he left at 9:00-ish, by which time it was pretty chilly (again, for Florida). I did log 3.4K, enough to exceed my step goal, although not enough to stay on track with the seasonal mileage challenge. 

Took a nice 4.25K walk this morning, followed by about 30 minutes of floor-based strength and stretching exercises.

And we'll see where the day goes from here.

In theory, I have two Turkey Trop 5K walks to do this weekend (both virtual). I was registered to do the local on in person but ended up changing to the virtual option when I realized the race started later than I had anticipated and I wouldn't be home in time to watch the Macy's parade (family tradition). Just for the sake of doing something different, I'm considering heading downtown on Friday morning and walking the official route for the local event, then doing my usual 5K path around the neighborhood on Sunday morning to earn my badge for the bonus challenge event. But plans are flexible until I find out whether my husband and/or son and his GF have other thoughts about things to do this weekend.

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 74.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 270 Days

• Like 4

Yesterday, walked the dog and did some stretches, but not as much as I should have.

Today, did not walk the dog (so far), but played ball with him in the yard.  Hope to do more but ....

Tomorrow I am signed up to run the Turkey Trot 5K, and I hope I don't hurt myself!  I hope to finish in roughly 40 minutes.  I am definitely unable to run more than a little of it.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@wintermom - Seeing your temps makes me feel like a wimp for complaining about the "cold" here in Florida. It was just over 50 degrees when I went out for a walk this morning, and I bundled up even for that.

Don't feel wimpy. We all need time to transition to colder weather. I must admit that I dislike the dark afternoon/evenings more than the cold temps. 

I went for an evening walk in the dark with my friend today. It was warmer than yesterday, which was nice. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

Don't feel wimpy. We all need time to transition to colder weather. I must admit that I dislike the dark afternoon/evenings more than the cold temps. 

I went for an evening walk in the dark with my friend today. It was warmer than yesterday, which was nice. 

Yes, the dark is hard. We are getting frosts overnight but it's getting up to about 5 degrees C during the days.

• Like 2

Howdie, I finished the Turkey Trot (5k).  Today was my 3rd Turkey Trot, and my fastest time by half a minute.  I'm happy.  🙂  Especially since I was sore and low on sleep before the race even started.  I kept up with the old lady brigade, landing around the median for my age/sex, which is what I had hoped for.

• Like 4

Got my steps in yesterday with the usual walks morning and evening. 

I realized that walking the official route for the downtown turkey trot would be a bad idea, because the streets would not be closed and the sidewalks in that part of town are not great for walking. So I just took myself to the local bike/walking trail, instead. As soon as I got out of the car and started trying to get into a decent pace, it became clear that the last week of dealing with whatever gastro issue I have going on and, consequently, eating smaller than usual amounts of only soft, not especially nutritionally dense foods has taken a bit of a toll. I completed the walk, but was slower than the last 5K I did. (Part of this may be due to the fact that I was on my own. I find that the energy of walking in a crowd during an official event boosts my pace.)

But, anyway, it's done. I hung up my medal and am wearing the commemorative t-shirt. 

I'm distinctly behind pace in the walking challenge, also, despite my best efforts to stay on top of it. When I selected 500K, I didn't process that the timeframe on this one is shorter than usual. So, I may drop my goal a bit, just so I don't spend the next few weeks feeling irritable about "failing." 

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 95.7 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 272 Days

IMG_20211126_092101297_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

PJ sun salutations, then I walked the dog first thing, then Husband and I went on a woodland walk before the winds came in.  We lost power for a bit this evening, but it's back on.  Gusting to 60mph, which I know is nothing compared to what some places get.  I think the strongest winds I have felt here were 75mph, so 60 feels pretty high.

Tomorrow I need to finish my essay, but I'll make sure to walk.  Once my booster has kicked in, I plan choose a quiet time of day and visit the gym masked to try out a rowing machine - it's so many years since I used one, I want to have a go before I buy.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

I finished my step count for the day yesterday afternoon while out doing some shopping with my husband, but took the dog out for an evening walk as usual, just to maintain routine. 

Walked again this morning -- about 3.75K -- in lovely, crisp, wind-free weather.

I plan to spend some of the afternoon putting up some outdoor holiday decorations and will get out for a good, solid walk later this evening.

Tomorrow morning, I'll take the dog for a brief ramble, then drop her at home and go back out for my official 5K around the neighborhood to earn my Holiday Hustle Turkey Trot badge.

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 102.1 of 500K (or maybe only 400K?)
Daily Walking Streak: 273 Days

• Like 4

Nice five mile walk in a chilly wind this afternoon - sunny though, and nicely crisp underfoot.  I finished my essay, so we might go for a longer hike tomorrow.

PJ and dressing gown sun salutations first thing.  I'm now sitting down to file taxes.  If that takes the usual half hour, I'll fit in some yoga before I cook.

• Like 4

Yesterday I did my cardio playing ball with the pup, then donated blood, then did my "yoga etc.," then got 2 vaxes.

I'm still feeling my leg muscles from Thursday's run.

Today, I don't have any goals other than "yoga etc."  I assume I'll have vax side effects.  But if I'm feeling OK, I may still take the pup for a walk.  I also plan to do lots of laundry, so ....

I signed my kid & me up for a "reindeer run" 5K next Sunday.  Usually I only do the annual turkey trot, but I figured, why not try another one?  I should be recovered by then.

• Like 6

I've spent the day indoors, but I did start the day with yoga. Took all of the dead light strings off the Christmas tree and I'm now taking a short break from stringing up new ones. I hate this, but I do love a pretty tree and the large dark swaths last year were not so pretty.

• Like 5

@wintermom That photo is truly gorgeous.

I spent yesterday afternoon getting started on the outdoor lights and decor, so by the time evening rolled around I needed only a couple of kilometers to top off my step count. My husband has been trying to log steps, too, and needed about the same number, so we decided to stroll around the neighborhood and see who has good light displays. He conked out after the minimum steps, but I dropped him and the dog back at the house and went out for another couple of kilometers, just because.

Despite a very sore muscle in my left lower back after yesterday's bending and twisting and lifting, I did stick to my plan and do the second virtual 5K today. Still not close to my personal best, but a better time than for the one I did on Friday.

We're planning on heading out for some shopping and wandering in a bit, and I will, of course, walk again this evening.

Tomorrow, it's back to the usual Monday-Friday routine.

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 111.7 of 500K (or maybe only 400K?)
Daily Walking Streak: 274 Days

Screenshot 2021-11-28 101443.jpg

• Like 6

PJ and dressing gown sun salutations.  Then Husband and I went to near Gleneagles to walk.  There had been a flurry of snow overnight and the trails on the dark side of the hills were surprisingly icy.  We only managed about three miles, but it was up and down on the sunny side.  Nice bowl of soup outside afterwards, overlooking a loch.  I'll try for yoga before bed - back to work tomorrow and hoping not to wake up stressed tonight.

20211128_122937.jpg

20211128_123044.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hello all--- I know I haven't been around in ages.

I'm getting over what I think was a sinus infection. I just finished antibiotics on Saturday. I've been on the couch/in the bed most of the week. Covid tests are hard to get scheduled here so I didn't have one, although I wish I would have. The dr called me in the antibiotics from a phone call (thank goodness). We skipped our thanksgiving get togethers so as to not spread germs but the family helped me make a smaller meal to enjoy just for us.

I am going to try and exercise today. I'm feeling pretty good now but I'm expecting my endurance will still be lacking after recovering and the lack of sleep from the congestion and coughing. I finally resorted to mucinex to dry me up but I've still got a bit of drainage. 

In good news, my last thyroid lab results finally came in. We had upped my one med but should have done the other (when I increased the other one I had some more energy at first and slept better but that quickly ended and I had more negative symptoms). We've adjusted my other med now. Those numbers explain why I was not feeling better on the new med. Fingers crossed this adjustment takes care of it and I don't have to adjust yet again. I'm ready to have energy again.

• Like 5

Well, I didn't quite manage "back to the usual routine" this morning. I just could not drag myself out of bed when he alarm went off, which meant I didn't have time for much in the way of exercise after the 4.2K walk. I did about 10 minutes of wall push-ups and stepping (using the yoga blocks) and a few lifts with the 5-pound weights and then had to rush to my desk. 

Class tonight, so probably nothing more exciting than an evening walk to top off the step count.

Maybe I will be better about things tomorrow morning.

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 121.7 of 500K (or maybe only 400K?)
Daily Walking Streak: 275 Days

• Like 5

Welcome back @Soror! Glad your sinus infection is better and your thyroid meds are straightened out. A quiet Thanksgiving with the family sounds lovely. That's what we did, too.

@Laura Corin Thanks for sharing the photos of the Scottish countryside. Looks amazing!

I went for an hour walk this evening. There are some nice Christmas lights in the neighbourhood. We have a tiny amount of snow on the ground which brightens things up a little. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

@Soror So sorry to hear you’ve been sick! We have found sinus rinses/sinus irrigation helpful for sinus infections—they can really persist. Glad you are starting to feel more like yourself.

21 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Glad to have you back @Soror. The place isn't the same without you.

30 min on treadmill this morning. Back to the routine today. 3 weeks of school until the next break.

Thank you! 3 weeks until break for mine as well, ya!

17 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Took a brisk walk with dh during his lunch hour, though it was not long enough. Still dealing with the sinus infection but it's better today. I will try to get out again around dinnertime. 

hugs to you, it stinks

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Welcome back @Soror. I'm sorry things have been rough.

Normal day - pj sun salutations,  brisk walk in the rain, yoga after work.

Thank you! 

Love the pj sun salutations

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

Welcome back @Soror! Glad your sinus infection is better and your thyroid meds are straightened out. A quiet Thanksgiving with the family sounds lovely. That's what we did, too.

@Laura Corin Thanks for sharing the photos of the Scottish countryside. Looks amazing!

I went for an hour walk this evening. There are some nice Christmas lights in the neighbourhood. We have a tiny amount of snow on the ground which brightens things up a little. 

Thank you! I was sad to miss the family get together, there were many people that are never in and I missed it.

we need to go sightseeing too. I've noticed a few lights out.

• Like 4

Planning on some easy yoga/stretching today.

I was doing Epic 1 series until last week. It is 45 min-1 hr a day. I don't know if I want to jump back into that. Caroline is doing a December series that is 20ish minutes every day so I'm just going to do that. That is nice and short and low stakes. If I feel like I can do more I'll add on (and hopefully I do). 

• Like 5

Walked last night after class (3.6K) and again this morning (4.2K). Then did about 25 minutes of the floor-based exercise I skipped yesterday because I ran out of time. 

I have a meeting to attend tonight, but I'll get out for a walk afterwards.

I'm looking forward to the "jingle jolly jog" 5K this weekend. It's my first time participating in this event, which takes place in the evening and goes through a neighborhood that is known for having really good holiday light displays. 

At some point, I really do need to get back to considering ways to introduce some more variety into my routine, but I'm kind of hanging on by my fingernails emotionally these days and just don't have the energy to do more than check the boxes at the moment.

Holiday Hustle Challenge Update: 130.7 of 500K (or maybe only 400K?)
Daily Walking Streak: 276 Days

• Like 5