Menu

Some sort of exercise at work?

DawnM

I am looking for some ideas on working in my office.   I am on the computer or on the phone a lot now so I have more availability to do something while working.

I have some bands, so those will go in with me for resistance.

I have looked at a few things but not sure they really that great.

Have any of you tried anything or heard of anything?   I am googling away......🤣

Can you do wall push ups? Are there any stairs to climb? You can stand on a step on one foot with your heel hanging off.  Then, go as high as you can on your toes, and as low as you can with your heel dipping below the step for about 10 repetitions on each side. It doesn’t take a lot of repetitions a day, just doing it consistently to really strengthen your feet. Can you take fresh air breaks and do a few laps outside (or inside) every hour?

• Like 1

No laps, no stairs.   The weather here is usually not great for walking outside.   I used to at my old job and I would come back dripping in sweat from the humidity.   

I could bring a ball but I have no idea what to do with it!

Not really room to walk, in fact, part of the building is not up to code and we aren't allowed back there.   There is a gym, but that is part of the school that we aren't allowed in.

I was trying to think of something I could do while working, not just during breaks.

Edited by DawnM

When dh was working he used a wrist exerciser (like a gyroscope ball) and it really strengthened his forearms. I tried to learn to do it but never quite got the hang of it like he did. Even when I just did one minute it made a difference. 
I have a lot of PT stretches I do sitting in a chair, using bands. Stretches make a big difference for me, but I don’t know what your exercise goals are. 
A balance board would also be office friendly. 

• Like 2

I get up and walk in place by my desk every chance I get. I work in customer service and am tied to the phone/computer but over the course of an 8 hour shift I can often get a good number of steps in.  I also have an 8# dumbbell so I sometimes use that for a bit. I do work at home but when I was in the office some people would get up and march periodically.

• Like 1

My son has this: https://smile.amazon.com/Cubii-Elliptical-Adjustable-Resistance-Turquoise/dp/B074F1S194?&linkCode=sl1&tag=self01b-20&linkId=2224b48577cc1ca987b071824e8cd8e7&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

He likes it a lot and has had it for two years now. Lately he has been having to tighten something on it a few times, not sure what, but he is rough on stuff.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dsmith said:

My son has this: https://smile.amazon.com/Cubii-Elliptical-Adjustable-Resistance-Turquoise/dp/B074F1S194?&linkCode=sl1&tag=self01b-20&linkId=2224b48577cc1ca987b071824e8cd8e7&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

He likes it a lot and has had it for two years now. Lately he has been having to tighten something on it a few times, not sure what, but he is rough on stuff.

Does it really do much?   I have wondered about these and similar items.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

They make exercise bikes that you can use at your desk.  It's basically just a set of pedals.  That might work for you.

I have looked at those, I can find them used for a good price.   I wonder how stable they are to sit on.

5 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Does it really do much?   I have wondered about these and similar items.

I can't say it's helped him lose weight - that was more diet than exercise. I was more interested in something to keep the blood flowing as he will sit for hours no matter how much I try to get him to move. I've used it vigorously sitting in a stuffed chair and I definitely felt it. One thing that I have used and I definitely feel it in my legs is this: https://store.bobandbrad.com/products/bob-brad-knee-glide I bought it for mil for pre and post knee surgery but she rarely uses it. I use it on the couch while watching tv. I can feel it in my calves and above my knee, but I have MS related weakness in my legs, so I feel everything, lol. Not sure how much someone in very good physical condition would get out of it. Mil's physical therapist loves it and is now recommending it to her patients.

• Like 1

I know someone who swears by the little 5 minute chair yoga videos you can find by googling. Me, my big thing is standing up and squeezing the gluts. The rear tends to go to sleep when you sit, so literally just stand up and you're doing yourself good. Do it 40 times (stand up, touch down) and you've make your posterior chain stronger.

• Like 3

I bought a sit/stand computer platform for about $100 at Costco and set it up on a table at my office.  That way I can stand to do computer work, and sit when I get tired.

I asked here about under desk treadmills for the same reason, and wobble boards were suggested.  I got one but I don't find it all that useful.  So I have an anti-fatigue mat on order instead, that has place to prop up your foot, or to squash it onto a supported little rubber ball, or to rock just a bit.  I think that that will be more successful in helping me to stand longer rather than just on the hardwood floor.

I have looked on Amazon at the reviews for under desk treadmills, and they sound fairly unreliable.  They cost $350 or so, and I'm not chancing one at that price.  One thing that is actually helpful is that I get up and pace while I'm on the phone if I don't need to see my computer at the time, but most of the time when I'm on the phone I need to see the screen so that is a limited availability choice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I bought a sit/stand computer platform for about $100 at Costco and set it up on a table at my office.  That way I can stand to do computer work, and sit when I get tired.

I asked here about under desk treadmills for the same reason, and wobble boards were suggested.  I got one but I don't find it all that useful.  So I have an anti-fatigue mat on order instead, that has place to prop up your foot, or to squash it onto a supported little rubber ball, or to rock just a bit.  I think that that will be more successful in helping me to stand longer rather than just on the hardwood floor.

I have looked on Amazon at the reviews for under desk treadmills, and they sound fairly unreliable.  They cost $350 or so, and I'm not chancing one at that price.  One thing that is actually helpful is that I get up and pace while I'm on the phone if I don't need to see my computer at the time, but most of the time when I'm on the phone I need to see the screen so that is a limited availability choice.

My work phone is corded, I can't even walk around my desk while I am on it unless I am on speaker.