Menu

Orange oak fix?

Katy

What’s your favorite way of updating orange oak cabinets and trim? This house is less than 20 years old so don’t ask me why they chose a trend from the 1990’s. Maybe the builder got a discount on a warehouse full of oak. 

I’m leaning towards sanding off the golden finish, using rustoleum’s aged wood accelerator (a waterbased stain that’s more brown than gray, but with gray undertones), and putting a matte poly on top. 

I also considered using a dark wax, but I think the grayish brown is more on-trend.

I’d prefer something with a quick dry time and minimal fumes, so I think that leaves out gel stain.

I don’t want to deal with grain filler and multiple rounds of sanding so I think that rules out paint.

I can’t figure out why, but some of the trim is fake with a plastic veneer over styrofoam (a toy got wedged into trim at the laundry room door), and some of it is definitely solid (one of the kids bathrooms has the finish worn completely off near the tub). So I’m leaning towards staining cabinets and doors dark, but painting trim white or off white rather than replacing the fake trim. 

Ideally there’s a water based wood stain that could go directly over the current wood without sanding but alas, not even the general finishes one allows you to skip sanding. 

3 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I’m just waiting until it’s trendy again. It’s bound to happen, right! 🤣

This is my plan and I've already seen an article about them starting to make a comeback! I don't care though because I really like my oak cabinets.

Edited by mom2scouts
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

This is my plan and I've already seen an article about them starting to make a comeback! I don't really care though because I really like my oak cabinets.

Awesome! I’m actually not that put off by it either. I’m also one to not really care too much about styles either. I’ve just considered new flooring (also currently orange oak) and I love darker floors and I’m just not sure how they’d look.

10 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I love darker floors and I’m just not sure how they’d look.

They look dirty all.the.time if you have any dust or pet hair in your home at all. If you have radiant heat of some kind vs. forced air, and you have no pets, that's probably a different story. Then, you might have trouble only in areas where you tend to have lint from textiles or paper products.

They also seriously darken a room, and if your furniture doesn't contrast somewhat, it looks like the floor is oozing up the walls (that might happen with the opposite colors too--light floors and light furniture). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

They look dirty all.the.time if you have any dust or pet hair in your home at all. If you have radiant heat of some kind vs. forced air, and you have no pets, that's probably a different story. Then, you might have trouble only in areas where you tend to have lint from textiles or paper products.

They also seriously darken a room, and if your furniture doesn't contrast somewhat, it looks like the floor is oozing up the walls (that might happen with the opposite colors too--light floors and light furniture). 

Oh dear. Ok lol. I have 4 kids and a dog (black fur). Thanks for the warning.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Oh dear. Ok lol. I have 4 kids and a dog (black fur). Thanks for the warning.

Dark is relative too--there are a lot of medium tones that do not show nearly the dirt but someone might consider "dark." Grain and texture also make a difference. If you get new flooring, just make sure you try samples in all kinds of light and maybe sprinkle some of your family's typical dust on them to see what it looks like. Put samples near your furniture, etc. 

You might like a similar light/dark ratio to what you have but a different tone/color. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I absolutely love my new dark floors (walnut color).  I like that I can see the dog hair (black/brown fur).  It takes me less than two minutes to vacuum it up. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I absolutely love my new dark floors (walnut color).  I like that I can see the dog hair (black/brown fur).  It takes me less than two minutes to vacuum it up. 

We might also have a different definition of dark, lol!

I have walnut-y floors that are pretty moderate, and then we have some really dark floors (different owner installed them). They look dirty if you use a paper towel or fold laundry or blink twice.

Medium--similar in color to most of ours
https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/laminate-flooring/laminate-flooring/tarkett-reg-malibu-8-1-16-x-47-5-8-attached-pad-laminate-flooring-18-73-sq-ft-ctn/36072200277/p-1444444740330.htm

vs.

The stuff I hate is darker than this: https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/laminate-flooring/laminate-flooring/mohawk-reg-richland-7-1-2-x-54-11-32-laminate-flooring-16-93-sq-ft-ctn/ml74-03/p-1454045985909.htm

Floors can hide too much. We have some sheet vinyl in the kitchen that has a marble tile pattern, and it's shocking how gross is can get without it being obvious. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I’m just waiting until it’s trendy again. It’s bound to happen, right! 🤣

I waited forever seeing photos of everyone’s trendy homes for years. I didn’t think my boxy, crown molding-free house would ever be fashionable. But whadaya know. 60s architecture made a comeback after all 🤣 My crazy giant windows and simple lines are having their day. I’ll probably never mess with the brownish-cherryish cabinets because they’re solid wood, I’m really good shape, and would be insanely expensive to change. I just picked paint that made them look good. I DO want to switch out the cream linoleum, but there’s nothing wrong with it so it’s a real mental hurdle with me and a lot of the popular counter styles just don’t scream mid-century to me. 

• Like 3

Oak cabinets are definitely back! The ones I'm seeing done in high end renovations are done in a grayish but natural stain--if that makes sense. 

If your oak has an oil based poly coating, that ambers over time enhancing the orange appearance. My oak floors were refinished 10 years ago when we moved in--a medium stain. At the time oil based poly was still the thing. I regret it. I wish I'd gotten water based because my floors have definitely ambered. On a positive note---they really hide dirt well. Too well lol.

Check out Dana Wolter Interiors on Instagram. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, actually after looking at D. Wolters stuff, it's a really natural stain look that really doesn't lean very gray at all. I love it. Sometimes you can't tell for sure if it's oak, but there will be the distinctive grain in the crown mold. I'm betting she's using a high grade white oak. Regardless, I love the look. Very refreshing from all the white and gray. I mean I have white cabinets, and I love them, but...Oak is beautiful.

Scroll down to see the cabinets.

Edited by popmom
to add link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

Whatever you decide, I'd love to see pics!

Right now I'm leaning toward buying a sheet of oak plywood to divide into test boards, trying 4-6, and then looking at it in the light of the kitchen.  DH says this is what I end up doing for all redecorating projects, but I must have blocked most of them.

• Like 1

The orangey color is from discolored polyurethane coating, usually.  

For the love of everything, don't gel stain. BTDT, and it does not last long. I had to update the General brand gel stuff every 6 months in a previous house. 

Don't do grey. It's moving out of fashion really really fast.  Oak is ironically coming back.

You shouldn't have to use grain filler if you are wanting to paint. Degloss. Palm sander. Prime. Two coats of paint. You'll get better coverage if you want 4-5 days between coats. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The orangey color is from discolored polyurethane coating, usually.  

For the love of everything, don't gel stain. BTDT, and it does not last long. I had to update the General brand gel stuff every 6 months in a previous house. 

Don't do grey. It's moving out of fashion really really fast.  Oak is ironically coming back.

You shouldn't have to use grain filler if you are wanting to paint. Degloss. Palm sander. Prime. Two coats of paint. You'll get better coverage if you want 4-5 days between coats. 

You are so right about grey. When we were looking at homes in the Huntsville Metro area, everyone was "updating" with grey. It.was.everywhere. Our realtor, whom we made friends with other those that was really nice, says that she is glad that we chose to simply go with colors we like in the new house and not the spring real estate trends because it is already falling out of favor. 

I recently sanded my oak cabinets. They are made from red oak and we’re stained a cherry color. After I sanded them, I used Zinsser wood bleach which took the pink color out of them then I sealed them with a matte, water based poly acrylic by Minwax. I love the finished product!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, arnold said:

I recently sanded my oak cabinets. They are made from red oak and we’re stained a cherry color. After I sanded them, I used Zinsser wood bleach which took the pink color out of them then I sealed them with a matte, water based poly acrylic by Minwax. I love the finished product!

Please consider posting a picture or 5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arnold said:

Another ask for pics here. Pretty please.

you can't stain over polyurethane.  the poly seals the finish so stains won't penetrate.  sanding, scraping, or paint remover is needed to strip it off so you can get to the wood.  you don't have to strip until the stain is gone - just the polyurethane coats.  (it's probably a sprayed on all-in-one finish.)

even then - putting a stain on top of another stain will not be consistent.  there will be places the stain will have penetrated more deeply than others.  

if you're willing to paint - there are primers that will "rough/prep' the polycoat so the paint will adhere.  (no stripping required.)   Some of them may have "fillers" in them to smooth the surface. 

• Like 1