Menu

what to wear to church plus picnic?

ktgrok

So, we will be attending a new church this coming Sunday. Our first time at in person church since Covid (actually, I went once to our old church...but only me and only once). The kids are a bit nervous, to be honest. New church, plus first time in a public activity, etc. Normally, what to wear isn't hard, and the website says wear what you want. 

But we want to make a decent impression. And it is in a "nice" part of town - Winter Park if anyone knows that area. So very wealthy area. Which makes me nervous, having grown up um. hand to mouth while attending a wealthy church and dealing with that. My own baggage, and likely not relevant because 1. DH makes a good living now, even if a lot goes to student loans, and 2. I'm sure these people are very nice. But still, baggage. 

Add in that Sunday school will be outdoors, AND this is "Kick Off Sunday" where we will look at tables outside to see what the church has to offer, and then eat lunch picnic style on chairs/blankets we bring ourselves. So, lots of time outdoors - from about 10:30 when the kids leave for Sunday School, then Picnic and such starts at 11 after the service. So until noon at least. In Florida. Photo shows expected weather (honestly, that's the forecast ever day, lol). 

I'm thinking dress for DD4, a sundress type. Then shorts and a nicer t-shirt (solid or stripes, not graphic) for DS8...but I think he only has athletic style right now. I need to check and see if I can grab him some khaki ones for church, maybe? DD11 is a big huge question mark. I just don't know for that one...she said something about wanting to get new overalls or a romper but I'm thinking she meant for Youth Group that evening. I can't quite wrap my head around overalls for church! Any ideas on cute but not too hot but okay for church and outdoor sunday school and a picnic?!?1 She's a size 12-14 in girls. 

For me, I'm clueless. I need to check my closet...I think I will wear a dress with shorts under it to prevent chub rub. They are knee length and lightweight. 

I may go replay the livestream and fastforward to people coming in and leaving so I can see what they are wearing, lol!

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 3.48.47 PM.png

Edited by ktgrok

I would scroll back through their facebook page to see if you can find photos from previous similar activities.

And I hear you on the shoes.  My kids haven't been much of anywhere either.  When we went to visit Grandpa a few months ago we realized that some of the kids needed new shoes.

• Like 4

So....with places like this I tend to sneak peaks at their Facebook pictures.  Usually the church will have had similar past events and will either be tagged in photos or they have their own page with pics.  It helps me gauge the common level of "where what you want".

But really, I think a romper would be fine for the teen if you don't see anything on the page.  For an adult, anything tailored and tasteful, probably classic lines if you're unsure.

I think all of that sounds fine, especially if the church website says to wear what you want. I go to a church where most of the people are much better off financially than we are and you can't really tell by what they wear to church. As others have said, you might be able to see on their Facebook page. 

30 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I think all of that sounds fine, especially if the church website says to wear what you want. I go to a church where most of the people are much better off financially than we are and you can't really tell by what they wear to church. As others have said, you might be able to see on their Facebook page. 

SAME

When my kids were little, they dressed pretty for church, but when they were in upper elementary and had an opinion, my personal rule was that their clothes needed to be at least as nice as what they would wear to school.  There were plenty of kids who were more casual though.  I don't think anyone will actually care what your kids wear, as long as it isn't a bikini or a  t-shirt with cuss words on it.  😛

For myself, I always used to wear "business casual," because I dislike wearing dresses/skirts.  But in the last year or two of attendance, I got too fat for my "business casual" clothes, so I allowed myself to wear jeans and a decent sweater/blouse.  Some of my friends also regularly wore jeans and a nice top to church.

We attend a rather conservative church, and things have changed a lot since I was a kid.  I think almost any reasonably respectful clothing choice should work.  But I'd aim for middle of the road for a first visit, and then notice where the general range of the congregation.

37 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So I am totally confused.  If you aren’t going till next weekend how do you know what they were wearing today?

I looked at the livestream. I'd already watched the service but hadn't paid attention to the people in the pews. I went back and checked during the peace when people stood up and waved, and when the kids went forward for their message. 

• Thanks 1

Well, my instinct is that casual is really truly fine. I think if they are taking the time to tell people to be comfortable, they do want you to be comfy. If I were attending this event with those weather conditions, I would likely be in khaki capri pants and linen tunic because mine is cute, breezy, and has long sleeves and I have some skin damage on my fore-arms so Florida summer sun is a no no. My hypothetical minor children would be in shorts, nothing short, but not knee length either and they would be wearing light colored shirts cotton or linen and all I would be doing would be to trying to keep the middle boy from being offensive by wearing his "My Beard is my Spirit Animal" t shirt.  When he was a high school senior my mom's church was honoring graduates and she wanted him to be involved. I didn't think to police his clothes, and what he ended up heading out in was navy blue basketball shorts, his scraggly, unkempt teenager trying to grow facial hair version of a beard, and that graphic tee while sporting his kayaking shoes because "comfort". He looked like an ad for Hippies R Us which I managed to fail to notice, and her church is one of those who really look down on casual dressers, and consider shorts of any kind to be immodest. Oy! I mean, I didn't care too much what they thought, but also didn't want him to be deliberately offensive either since they were beinf nice to include him. Total fail.😜

I give you props for enduring a picnic in Florida right now! You are a good mom!!!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

.😜

I give you props for enduring a picnic in Florida right now! You are a good mom!!!

One of the churches we attended years ago did their annual picnic in July!!!! I will fully admit we NEVER went. Sorry, but it was at noon, in July, in Florida. NOPE. And it had athletic games to particpate in! NOPE NOPE NOPE. 

• Like 1