Menu

It makes me SO happy

ktgrok

It's really such a wonderful feeling!  So happy for all of you who have gone through this.  

My Aspie was a late and struggling reader and turned into the best reader of all of my kids.  I also grieved a bit when he was way behind in reading because reading affects so many other subjects and also I wanted him to know the joy of reading.  I am very grateful he went to ps when he did and not today when kids are expected and pressured to read much earlier due to standardized testing.  I think he would have gotten frustrated and it would have hurt his self-esteem in that case but instead he was able to catch up and excel at his own pace.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

but she still loves audiobooks

I'm glad to hear you say this, because this is where my ds is. Supposedly (per the testing) he reads quite well, but he has really not taken to eye reading. He'll do audiobooks for hours upon hours but eye reading only when compelled or useful (like reading my emails over my shoulder, haha). I think it's how his mix of issues come together (narrative language, social thinking, behavior, etc.), don't know. So I'm not wanting to take away from op's joy, because it's WONDERFUL that it has come together for her dd. I just keep trying.

• Like 2