Jokes & memes

Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, kbutton said:

May be an image of one or more people and text that says 'Some of you did not spend your childhoods making potions out of random leaves, berries, and twigs tossed into a tub of water and stirred with a stick that you found. found...and ..and it shows.'

I'm not sure what it shows, though? That we were 'in touch' with nature, and tried to eat stupid things? Grass isn't a great food for humans to eat. You scare yourself the next time you have a bowel movement and it's green. 🤢

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm not sure what it shows, though? That we were 'in touch' with nature, and tried to eat stupid things? Grass isn't a great food for humans to eat. You scare yourself the next time you have a bowel movement and it's green. 🤢

I don't know any kids that tried to eat their potions, recipes, and concoctions, but I know plenty that were creative and had a great time touching and breathing in all those stress-relieving microbes. At the very least, it teaches resourcefulness within boundaries--what you have available, whether or not your mom will let you have unlimited access to the hose, what discarded pots, pans, etc. do you use to make your stuff (upside frisbees make perfect pie plates, lol!). What dirt works best for various purposes...all good troubleshooting stuff. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I don't know any kids that tried to eat their potions, recipes, and concoctions, but I know plenty that were creative and had a great time touching and breathing in all those stress-relieving microbes. At the very least, it teaches resourcefulness within boundaries--what you have available, whether or not your mom will let you have unlimited access to the hose, what discarded pots, pans, etc. do you use to make your stuff (upside frisbees make perfect pie plates, lol!). What dirt works best for various purposes...all good troubleshooting stuff. 

Sure, but a lot of kids now do troubleshooting for their parents with internet and cell phone stuff. It's helpful and very useful. It sure eases my stress level in ways a tree can't. 😉 

27 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Sure, but a lot of kids now do troubleshooting for their parents with internet and cell phone stuff. It's helpful and very useful. It sure eases my stress level in ways a tree can't. 😉 

Sure!

I still think that troubleshooting physical, concrete things activates different brain pathways. It's a whole different way of taking in information via your whole body. 

17 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Sure!

I still think that troubleshooting physical, concrete things activates different brain pathways. It's a whole different way of taking in information via your whole body. 

Of course! But the meme makes it sound like those who had no access to nature or who spend less time outdoors or in imaginative play or whatever, are somehow obviously inferior in some way.

How can you tell if someone played with sticks and berries anyway? It doesn't exactly come up in everyday conversation. Do you have permanent berry stains on your hands? 😅

20 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Of course! But the meme makes it sound like those who had no access to nature or who spend less time outdoors or in imaginative play or whatever, are somehow obviously inferior in some way.

How can you tell if someone played with sticks and berries anyway? It doesn't exactly come up in everyday conversation. Do you have permanent berry stains on your hands? 😅

Trust me when I say that the nature babies among us who didn't have access to the city are different and also subject to being treated like we are inferior (I have no idea how to figure out public transportation, for instance, though I have taken it about three times in my entire life). 

Put either set of people in the right environment, and they stick out. Some do so gracefully; others are snotty about it, lol!!! The meme really isn't a dig. There are a TON of "and it shows" memes. 

***ETA: You aren't being snotty; I mean that some people are snotty when not in their element--can be general grouchiness at being out of their element and feeling swamped, or it can be looking down on people more native to that environment in a kind of clueless manner that the natives might have skills of their own. 

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

Trust me when I say that the nature babies among us who didn't have access to the city are different and also subject to being treated like we are inferior (I have no idea how to figure out public transportation, for instance, though I have taken it about three times in my entire life). 

Put either set of people in the right environment, and they stick out. Some do so gracefully; others are snotty about it, lol!!! The meme really isn't a dig. There are a TON of "and it shows" memes. 

I don't understand the nuances of some memes, and it shows. 🤣

I was a city gal who played with sticks, berries, grass, rocks and leaves. I was a 60's child. I guess we were all searching for something fun to do before video games came along. 😉 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I never saw this video before. What on earth was this song about exactly? It's just not that clear in this video. 🤣

Here you go. It kind of explains the video at the end of the article but it's not too clear. 

Now I too have the earworm, plus a mental picture of a different looking Boy George picking up garbage in NYC when he was sentenced to community service. 

https://www.smoothradio.com/features/the-story-of/culture-club-karma-chameleon-meaning-lyrics-facts/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wintermom said:

May be a cartoon of text that says 'KILLED ANOTHER STUFFED ANIMAL TODAY.. MAN, WAS SWEET!!! GOT THE SQUEAKER OUT AN' EVERYTHING!'

Our last dog (died in 2016) made it his mission to get the squeaker out of every one of his toys! When he picked up a toy and brought it to you to throw he always found the squeaker and squeaked it continuously until you took the toy. When he played on his own he removed the squeakers. 😂

He was the best. I still miss him. Sigh

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Our last dog (died in 2016) made it his mission to get the squeaker out of every one of his toys! When he picked up a toy and brought it to you to throw he always found the squeaker and squeaked it continuously until you took the toy. When he played on his own he removed the squeakers. 😂

He was the best. I still miss him. Sigh

Such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing. Our puppy loves squeekers, but they make the toys pretty tough to break these days. Between the puppy and our standard poodle they can wear down every soft toy I've ever bought. You can almost see the satisfaction on their faces when they finally kill the squeaker. It's worth the money to keep buying the toys. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2