Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

This is funny but plenty of mainline denominations believe in this too.  Even if they don't have things like adoration.

Yeah, I'm Episcopalian, and we believe in real presence, as do Lutherans.  Methodists vary a bit in what they believe theologically about real presence, and of course the Orthodox very much believe Christ is present there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

This is funny but plenty of mainline denominations believe in this too.  Even if they don't have things like adoration.

I think the reference to Protestants is they seem less likely to make that kind of joke.

20 minutes ago, 73349 said:

I think the reference to Protestants is they seem less likely to make that kind of joke.

Nah, I’ve seen similar jokes too many times, and I’ve heard Catholic priests argue that if you believe in transubstantiation you will convert to Catholicism because they think that no other denominations teach it. 

10 minutes ago, Katy said:

Nah, I’ve seen similar jokes too many times, and I’ve heard Catholic priests argue that if you believe in transubstantiation you will convert to Catholicism because they think that no other denominations teach it. 

Most actually don’t. Many teach consubstantiation.

Just now, scholastica said:

Most actually don’t. Many teach consubstantiation.

I’m sorry I used the wrong word. I’m not a theologian. I was told by a priest that I believe the blood snd wine changes I must be Catholic. I’ve been taught the same thing at multiple Protestant church denominations. 

Just now, Katy said:

I’m sorry I used the wrong word. I’m not a theologian. I was told by a priest that I believe the blood snd wine changes I must be Catholic. I’ve been taught the same thing at multiple Protestant church denominations. 

Consubstantiation which is what most Protestant denominations teach is that body and blood exist at the same time as the bread and wine, some say for just a period of time and then it goes back to being just bread and wine. Catholics and Orthodox Christians teach that the bread and wine are transformed into the body and blood but retain the accidents of bread and wine. Once it is consecrated it can never go back to being bread and wine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scholastica said:

Consubstantiation which is what most Protestant denominations teach is that body and blood exist at the same time as the bread and wine, some say for just a period of time and then it goes back to being just bread and wine. Catholics and Orthodox Christians teach that the bread and wine are transformed into the body and blood but retain the accidents of bread and wine. Once it is consecrated it can never go back to being bread and wine.

I think it’s a distinction without a difference in the moment pictured in the cartoon above.