Jokes & memes

Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Teaching3bears said:

This is nice but it also must mean that everyone else is in a rush because I think seventy years ago everyone liked slow checkouts.  I understand. I’m in a rush most of the time. 

It seems to me that back in the day stores were properly staffed so you weren’t already either checking yourself out or waiting an hour to get to the single cashier on staff (Walmart). 

We re-read the Ramona Quimby books last month. I think the first book came out in 1949. In one of them Ramona’s dad lost his job and took another job he didn’t like but paid well. As a bag boy at a supermarket. His only complaint was grumpy customers complaining about price increases. But he was making enough as a bag boy to support a family of 4-5 in a single family home in Portland. 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Katy said:

IMG_0217.jpeg

Smart move! The last picture we have with my husbands brothers in it has a nephew’s girlfriend in it. I don’t think they lasted the year out. It still drives both me & my SIL nuts. It doesn’t really seem like a “real” family picture, KWIM?

The only thing smarter would be to take one with & one without, or simply tell her it’s a family picture and ask her to step out. Boundaries, people, boundaries. 

• Like 1

Just now, TechWife said:

Smart move! The last picture we have with my husbands brothers in it has a nephew’s girlfriend in it. I don’t think they lasted the year out. It still drives both me & my SIL nuts. It doesn’t really seem like a “real” family picture, KWIM?

The only thing smarter would be to take one with & one without, or simply tell her it’s a family picture and ask her to step out. Boundaries, people, boundaries. 

Yes, this. We, too, have a holiday picture with an ex-sleazebag-boyfriend in it. We have no pictures of that holiday without him.

In my son's wife's family (humongous extended network of aunts and uncles and cousins) they pre-emptively made a rule eons ago that no romantic interests are allowed in any family pictures until there is a ring on the finger. It was funny, because that meant my son was not allowed in the annual picture (and was fine with the rule, of course), and then he proposed a few days later. 😄 They're married now and so now he's in all the pictures.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Yes, this. We, too, have a holiday picture with an ex-sleazebag-boyfriend in it. We have no pictures of that holiday without him.

In my son's wife's family (humongous extended network of aunts and uncles and cousins) they pre-emptively made a rule eons ago that no romantic interests are allowed in any family pictures until there is a ring on the finger. It was funny, because that meant my son was not allowed in the annual picture (and was fine with the rule, of course), and then he proposed a few days later. 😄 They're married now and so now he's in all the pictures.

Great rule! That was the absolute last time all of the siblings were together. One of his brothers died nine months later and the other three years later. 

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, Katy said:

It seems to me that back in the day stores were properly staffed so you weren’t already either checking yourself out or waiting an hour to get to the single cashier on staff (Walmart). 

We re-read the Ramona Quimby books last month. I think the first book came out in 1949. In one of them Ramona’s dad lost his job and took another job he didn’t like but paid well. As a bag boy at a supermarket. His only complaint was grumpy customers complaining about price increases. But he was making enough as a bag boy to support a family of 4-5 in a single family home in Portland. 

The father was the checker/ clerk not the bag boy. And their mother also started working.

But a checker used to be a decent job in a grocery store. And they all wore shirts and ties.