Menu

Books on dating/campus safety at college

Shelydon

I don't know about books but I would encourage her not to be drinking where she does not know everyone Well and it is a safe environment.   Alcohol clouds judgement and puts girls at higher risk of assault.  Not saying it is right, just that it is.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I don't know about books but I would encourage her not to be drinking where she does not know everyone Well and it is a safe environment.   Alcohol clouds judgement and puts girls at higher risk of assault.  Not saying it is right, just that it is.

Super fortunately, she doesn't drink.  I personally can't stand the taste of alcohol.  My kids seem to have inherited this.  DH is a wine fanatic and we have introduced wine to the kids and they all hate it much to DHs disappointment. 

1 hour ago, Shelydon said:

Super fortunately, she doesn't drink.  I personally can't stand the taste of alcohol.  My kids seem to have inherited this.  DH is a wine fanatic and we have introduced wine to the kids and they all hate it much to DHs disappointment. 

She doesn't drink now, but she may discover she likes mixed drinks at college.  It would be better she go in knowing not to drink alcohol with people she doesn't know well and not to leave her beverage unattended anywhere, whether it has alcohol or not. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, klmama said:

She doesn't drink now, but she may discover she likes mixed drinks at college.  It would be better she go in knowing not to drink alcohol with people she doesn't know well and not to leave her beverage unattended anywhere, whether it has alcohol or not. 

It's hard to be only with people you know well. I'm starting to think students might need to take their own drink in a cup with a lid to parties. Many years ago we had a woman in our college bible study that had a drug dropped in her beer in a small dorm room gathering. 😞

3 hours ago, Starr said:

It's hard to be only with people you know well. I'm starting to think students might need to take their own drink in a cup with a lid to parties. Many years ago we had a woman in our college bible study that had a drug dropped in her beer in a small dorm room gathering. 😞

This is not a bad idea. You'd have to find a cup with a lid that is hard to get off though.

13 hours ago, klmama said:

And while it may seem obvious (“don’t take candy from strangers”), accepting a breath mint from someone at a party or bar can be risky as well.  Tic Tacs, etc.  Better to go over all of it in advance.  There should be something addressing this on campus, though.

2 hours ago, Shelydon said:

This is not a bad idea. You'd have to find a cup with a lid that is hard to get off though.

That's actually brilliant!!! There are those trendy insulated cups/bottles. And those lids take a minute to get off, it isn't a one handed quick thing. 

10 minutes ago, Spryte said:

And while it may seem obvious (“don’t take candy from strangers”), accepting a breath mint from someone at a party or bar can be risky as well.  Tic Tacs, etc.  Better to go over all of it in advance.  There should be something addressing this on campus, though.

Ok, I never thought of that. 

My big disasters happened when I was drinking, and thought I was safe because I had a friend or a few friends with me. But...they were drinking too. So didn't notice me dissappear. 

The other time they thought I was going willingly, that I really liked the guy. Having a pact ahead of time that no one leaves with anyone else is important. 

Edited by ktgrok

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

That's actually brilliant!!! There are those trendy insulated cups/bottles. And those lids take a minute to get off, it isn't a one handed quick thing. 

Ok, I never thought of that. 

Unfortunately, it happens.  Yikes.