Menu

Can I? Should I? Thoughts???

My husband and I have been going over our budget, looking for places we can make cuts.

The #1 item on this list is our nanny -- $1600 a month. This was supposed to facilitate my working full-time from home. However, I still find I'm only slightly less involved in my children's day than without the Nanny. So, I'm struggling with the cost-benefit.

I don't think I need to tell anyone here what that $1600 a month would do to our budget -- our ability to pay off debt VERY quickly, and save for a replacement vehicle.

I can (and do) a lot of work in the evenings anyway -- We're planning on purchasing a laptop, which would allow me much more flexibility as to WHERE I work (in the family room, opposed to the office), my two youngest school age children still don't require as much "effort" -- and currently my oldest is seated by me at his computer desk most of the time anyhow.

I could probably talk to my father about eyeballing the children while I make dinner... or if I've got a significant phone call or something (he works from home most days as well).

If you were me, would you take the chance? Would you try to work without the extra help? ESPECIALLY when you will have 5 children, a newborn, a toddler and 3 school-age?

Opinions, thoughts, etc.?

Lisa

I work fulltime and homeschool without a nanny.

I get by with this because:

DD already knew how to read when I started this.

I have an ISP that she can attend intermittantly.

She is kind of quiet and although I go out of my way to find social opportunities for her, I can also count on her to work quietly on school stuff when I need to focus elsewhere.

There is only one of her.

I can't imagine being even remotely effective with a larger family in this situation. Unless you really don't need any quiet to work, I would say that the nanny is critical.

Any way to maybe do the nanny part time? My best friend has a girl who comes only one day a week. She works part time. I thought it would be hard to find a part time nanny like that, but she found a wonderful girl without much hard work on her part. That would free up $800 a month!

I run a business with my mom and I have a lady watch the kids about 4-5 hours a week. That's enough time to run a few errands, have meetings, or have some quiet work time on company stuff. It works really well.

Blessings,

Well, based on my experience, I would say DON'T DO IT!!!! :D We've been through a few babysitters, and when we parted from each one (for various reasons), I've thought the very same thing every time. "They're really not helping me that much. I'm still upstairs half the day anyway. I'm still working at night and before the kids are up in the mornings." And so on. And yet, after a month or two without the sitter, I'm near the nervous breakdown stage. And I only have two kids. With five? I really can't see it working.

Now, you may be more organized than I am. But going without the nanny requires a level of super-human organization, effort, and sacrifice that I hope never to have to do again. My mom is currently only here half the time I work, and I can barely cope. School's not getting done (temporarily, anyway, until I go back down to 30 hours in January), and I feel like I am always ON for everyone but myself. It's painful, and it's making me mean.

I so know how you feel about the money. Technically, you could probably do it. Is the quality of life you'll all have worth the money? Only you can decide that. I'm a solitary person, so not having quiet time to myself is very difficult for me. If your temperament runs in the other direction, it might not be as bad as it would be for me.

That's my nickel's worth. I hope you find a way to make your decision!

Gosh, if you give her the boot, can you send her my way? LOL I don't work from home, but I would LOVE to have a nanny. Does she clean too?

No way I would work from home and expect to get anything done with a toddler and an infant and no nanny. I guess, for me, the difficulty would lie in how much you have to really keep an eye on the kids when they are that small. My older son was never into much trouble at 2...my younger was always doing something he shouldn't be. If he had nothing to choke on, he would eat carpet fuzz and choke on that. It was insane. All kids are different.

Well, based on my experience, I would say DON'T DO IT!!!! :D We've been through a few babysitters, and when we parted from each one (for various reasons), I've thought the very same thing every time. "They're really not helping me that much. I'm still upstairs half the day anyway. I'm still working at night and before the kids are up in the mornings." And so on. And yet, after a month or two without the sitter, I'm near the nervous breakdown stage. And I only have two kids. With five? I really can't see it working.

Now, you may be more organized than I am. But going without the nanny requires a level of super-human organization, effort, and sacrifice that I hope never to have to do again. My mom is currently only here half the time I work, and I can barely cope. School's not getting done (temporarily, anyway, until I go back down to 30 hours in January), and I feel like I am always ON for everyone but myself. It's painful, and it's making me mean.

I so know how you feel about the money. Technically, you could probably do it. Is the quality of life you'll all have worth the money? Only you can decide that. I'm a solitary person, so not having quiet time to myself is very difficult for me. If your temperament runs in the other direction, it might not be as bad as it would be for me.

That's my nickel's worth. I hope you find a way to make your decision!

:iagree::iagree:If you get rid of someone good its hard to get back. I have never had nanny, but housekeepers and chefs. I regret everyday I have let them go thinking I could do w/o and save money. That is not the case.

Now when I need them, it is way too expensive and too hard to find someone else.

I vote no. The grass is not greener.

Well, quiet time around here isn't possible -- as we are all crowded into about 900 square feet of space :tongue_smilie: -- so I'm already at my wits end in that respect :D And I LOVE my quiet time!!! But, I really haven't had it in years.

However, I could keep the television off (the nanny keeps turning it ON!), which makes everything a lot more quiet. I still usually have to step in for any discipline issues. The children are more often than not in places they don't belong (playing in the bathroom, playing with markers, fighting over the computer... UGH.)

The biggest thing for me, right now, is not having to cart every single child with me if I have an appointment with just one. My dad is right upstairs... maybe I should have this conversation with him before over-thinking it too much.

A part-time Nanny might be helpful.

Time-wise, this would mainly be for just one year (or less), once we're in the new house, we may get an aupaire (she'd cost us about $6k plus room and board), but it would be a far less expensive option. We have $5k that will be set aside for childcare expenses for 2009... which would just about cover the live-in aupair.

We have only planned for me to work 2 more years anyhow -- I need to be free to be a lot more involved as my oldest enters middle school.

All of my children are reading, and working well above level -- we school year round, so if I've got to take a day "off" because of work, I can.

Keep the thoughts and advice coming.

Are you looking at this being a long term or short term change? I would part with the nanny freeing up the income to pay off the debt and buy the vehicle, and then if circumstances change get a new nanny. It will definitely make things more challenging for sure, but not impossible. I homeschool, and work 2 p/t jobs out of the home without help and 4 kids, I would LOVE a nanny forsure, but can't see forking over that much money for one. If your work schedule has full flexibility to work around/with your father and your dh I would certainly ditch the nanny now, to save the family that money, and down the line if needed rehire one.

Little things like having the kids watch an educational video while the little ones nap, would give you 1.5-2 hours of quiet work time during the day. Having centers for the younger 2 to use for self exploration of topics in the same room you are working and your oldest is beside you would allow for more flexibility too. I like the evan moor take to your seat centers, and have several of them. As well as settingout a science table to explore etc. Or get up 1-2 hours before the kids to get some work done, and then focus on them.

There is definite ways to do all of this, as long as your father and your dh also understand you will not have the time you did before for doing all the cooking/cleaning etc and pitch in. If they already do so great, they can do so more. Make menu plans and stick with them make sure you have everything thawed(if needed) and on hand to whip up simple meals quickly. Designate a set time daily for your father to watch the kids so you can make needed phone calls, etc. I am assuming that since you mentioned that he could eyeball them that he lives with you. With 3 adults in the home, I think that you all can make it work to be rid of the nanny and still accomplish all you need to each day.

How much of your work can be done outside of normal working hours? Will you get enough done in the evenings to compensate if you let the nanny go? I think it's worth looking at WHY you are still "only slightly" less involved in your children's day. If I were paying that much moolah, I'd want to be getting my money's worth. Anyhoo, the answer to WHY above might help you decide whether to cut or keep the nanny.

Most of my work is via e-mail. My writing can all be done outside normal working hours. I work with stores internationally, so I'm not tied to a 9-5 schedule.

I usually have the phone go straight to voice mail and return messages as I can throughout the day (but, again, most of this is via e-mail anyhow).

Yeah, I need to talk to my dad.

Oh, I had one more thought for you. Swellmomma made a good point. How on board will your DH REALLY be if you do this? I've heard enough stories about DHs who talk a good game, but when the time comes, don't actually carry half the load. My own DH is one of those guys too. We made the decision for me to go back to FT work until the end of the year, yet he still grumbles when I can't go to his mother's with him and the kids, he still gives me the stinkeye when I can't come to bed with him at night, he takes care of the kids on the two days that I need him to (though not the full time he said he would), but doesn't really help pick up the slack on the housework, etc. I love the man, but he doesn't shoulder half the load, in spite of all protestations to the contrary. Again, if your DH is already the ind of guy who DOES shoulder his part, then your situation is different. But think carefully about that part of it too. Make sure he'll pitch in what he says he will.

and they change every single year.

I have several friends who have used them. There is always a tough transition when one leaves and the other arrives, and then some are great and some are really unreliable. They mostly expect to have a good time here, see the sights, be part of the family unless and until they meet a love interest, and work less than fulltime. Some of them are just wonderful with kids and really get to love what they do. Others start to stay out late, nap when they should watch the kids, and maybe not always be home when they are expected.

Can you work with your nanny to be more acceptable to you? It sounds like you basically trust her. If you said, no TV at all until after 6PM, would she be able to make that stick? Or what if you said, please take all the kids to the park every day after the littles wake up from their naps? (And then make the olders able to join in if and when they have finished their schoolwork for the day to your satisfaction?) And can you delegate some of your homeschooling to the nanny? (I can't tell whether or not you're already doing this.) Seems like she should be able to read books to the kiddos, and correct their grammar, spelling, and math--anything that has an answer key--and give the corrected papers to you for remediation or whatever. She should also be able to occupy the littles while the olders are doing their schoolwork, and keep them separated if necessary.

I would be very concerned if I had a nanny that resorted to TV or computers to keep my kiddos occupied. I really think that young kids' imaginations are ruined for the rest of the day when they have screen time, at least IME, so that would be completely unacceptable to me.

and they change every single year.

I have several friends who have used them. There is always a tough transition when one leaves and the other arrives, and then some are great and some are really unreliable. They mostly expect to have a good time here, see the sights, be part of the family unless and until they meet a love interest, and work less than fulltime. Some of them are just wonderful with kids and really get to love what they do. Others start to stay out late, nap when they should watch the kids, and maybe not always be home when they are expected.

Can you work with your nanny to be more acceptable to you? It sounds like you basically trust her. If you said, no TV at all until after 6PM, would she be able to make that stick? Or what if you said, please take all the kids to the park every day after the littles wake up from their naps? (And then make the olders able to join in if and when they have finished their schoolwork for the day to your satisfaction?) And can you delegate some of your homeschooling to the nanny? (I can't tell whether or not you're already doing this.) Seems like she should be able to read books to the kiddos, and correct their grammar, spelling, and math--anything that has an answer key--and give the corrected papers to you for remediation or whatever. She should also be able to occupy the littles while the olders are doing their schoolwork, and keep them separated if necessary.

I would be very concerned if I had a nanny that resorted to TV or computers to keep my kiddos occupied. I really think that young kids' imaginations are ruined for the rest of the day when they have screen time, at least IME, so that would be completely unacceptable to me.

Good to know about the aupair situation...

We have the house rules posted... including the TV/Computer rules. Igonored most days (unless I get up from the desk and physically go turn everything off). No, she doesn't read to the children. I had hoped she would at least oversee the Latin DVDs, or SOTW CDs or something, but she hasn't. I had to put my proverbial foot down this summer to get the kids outside (she doesn't like being out there watching them). She picks up a little, but doesn't "clean."

She likes playing with the 2yo and babies, but doesn't care much to help with the Ker or 1st grader -- she will help them with reviewing spelling words (but I can get them to help each other with those, and often have). She will listen to them read for a little while. She won't do any arts and crafts with them... basically most of the things I had on my "important" list of qualifications for a Nanny haven't happened.

She's nice -- but there is a growing list of issues we have (apart from the money). There is a LOT she should be able to do, but doesn't seem to be doing.

My husband and I have been talking a LOT. He already does a good share of the work (mainly dishes, some household -- we all work together on family projects, he puts the kiddos to bed -- no complaints. We had a store for 5 years, and I was GONE a lot, and this, while difficult, would be less difficult than working retail.

My office is in transition (moving from UT to MN, as we've gotten a new President). My job is pretty secure for the next 12-18 months, and the new President doesn't work "normal" hours either. Usually everyone is more concerned about getting the job done, than during which hours. I'm talking to the new President about the situation (FWIW, my new boss also owns a retail store, and is using this job to help pay off their debt... so she "gets" it.).

We'll be talking some more to my dad (since he would become more of our regular sitter), we could give him an extra $300-500 a month to help out with the kiddos as we need (for appointments, errands, things like that), and that would be a HUGE help for him AND us.

Just doing this for about a year would enable us to pay off all of our leftover store debt, car debt -- and just leave us with the mortgage.

The alternative would be for me to pick up MORE work (freelance, like I used to)... but in many ways, that's more stressful because you pretty much have to take it when it comes and turn it around really quick.

I just really want to get this debt paid off -- eliminating any and all extras from our budget is possible, but in many ways a lot more painful than getting a laptop, having my dad help with the kiddos during a teleconference, and my spending more time with them...

Geez, Lisa, not to be weird or anything, but I only live about half an hour from you, could nanny for you the rest of the year, and I'd take about 2/3's of that income! lol (I'm only half kidding...and I read, do arts and crafts, love outdoors, would help homeschool, and can go all day w/o TV!!!)

Pm me if you want to. :D

My point really is, you can get a part-time nanny who will do exactly what you want for less, utilize your dad a bit, and you should be good to go.

You're working full time, I'm assuming 40 hours a week.

In addition, you have 4 (soon to be 5) young children who need childcare.

You homeschool.

The house needs cleaning.

Meals need to be cooked.

You need some quiet time to recharge.

You employed a nanny to free some time up from your other responsibilities to enable you to work.

However, I could keep the television off (the nanny keeps turning it ON!), which makes everything a lot more quiet. I still usually have to step in for any discipline issues. The children are more often than not in places they don't belong (playing in the bathroom, playing with markers, fighting over the computer... UGH.)

It sounds as if part of the problem is that you're not getting the money's worth from the nanny. Every time you intervene in childcare, you are reducing your productivity and losing money for the hours you are putting in, and for which you are paying the nanny. You have to be very clear about your expectations with her. What are her responsibilities? Does it include cleaning and cooking in addition to childcare?

Unless she needs them occupied while she's doing something else, she needs to entertain the children without TV or computers and she needs to step into the discipline as well. You're hiring her to give you the opportunity to work without kids interrupting and she (and they) need to understand that during that time you may only be bothered in an emergency - and you'd need to define what that is...a hurt child definitely, but an argument about a toy may not be an emergency for example..

If she doesn't come to it naturally, set up a roster that you expect her to work to. With options regarding crafts, play-time, books to read, etc etc. A playgroup schedule for example includes free play with games that have been set out in advance, crafts, morning snacks, outside playtime, storytime, etc.

The most important thing is to be very clear about your expectations of any employee and to fully understand what they are freeing you from so that you are more productive during the time that you set aside to work.

If you are still doing the cleaning and cooking, then it may, for example be more time and cost-effective to hire a cleaning service or get someone to do your shopping and meal preperations (a retired person or someone at hotel school maybe?). You may also find it more cost-effective to get a part-time nanny. If you have a teacher's college near you, this may be a good source for a part-time nanny. A responsible teenager may be another option. Especially as your hours are flexible, you could work around class schedules.

I was writing the above while you were writing your post, and from it I definitely think the nanny is not doing what you're expecting. She has to know that if she doesn't shape up, she'll have to go.

If your father is willing, it would be great if he could be your part-time nanny!

It sounds as if part of the problem is that you're not getting the money's worth from the nanny. Every time you intervene in childcare, you are reducing your productivity and losing money for the hours you are putting in, and for which you are paying the nanny.

If you are still doing the cleaning and cooking, then it may, for example be more time and cost-effective to hire a cleaning service or get someone to do your shopping and meal preperations .

If your father is willing, it would be great if he could be your part-time nanny!

Hannah saved me a lot of typing - Thank you! :D

I think you could still get help, while cutting down your expenses and increasing productivity.

I definately think you need to tell the current nanny that you and DH have re-evaluated what your needs are, detail current needs (chores, family/house rules, expectations) and give her an opportunity to hit the road or shape up. If she is good for the kids, and you trust here, I'd hate for you to lose her, IF she can be helpful to you. Or cut her hours and hire someone else for cleaning/chores one day a week.

I would never be able to work FT plus homeschool plus the household chores. If it were me, I would want someone to do the major chores once a week, including grocery shopping, and provide a limited amount of time weekly for my quiet dedicated work time. If I didn't homeschool, I'd still have someone do my weekly cleaning, so I could spend more time with the kids!

I don't know what the rate is in your area, but a previous neighbor bachelor used to have his house cleaned once/week for about $50.

you had me thinking that you worked for THE president.

My office is in transition (moving from UT to MN, as we've gotten a new President). My job is pretty secure for the next 12-18 months, and the new President doesn't work "normal" hours either. Usually everyone is more concerned about getting the job done, than during which hours. I'm talking to the new President about the situation

Now, ON topic.....

You're not getting your money's worth. For $1600 a month, you should feel like you can't possibly get by without her.

Based on your latest reply I say for sure 100% ditch the nanny who is not doing anything to help you and is making things more difficult by ignoring your rules. Save that money, hire a cleaning service for every other week to save you some time, Menu plan for the month with grocery lists ready to go, if you have a grocery delivery service in your area, utilize it, you can grocery shop online and have it delivered at a time that suits you without having to schedule time to actually get out and do it. It sounds like continueing to have this nanny is like flushing you money down the toilet, she is not doing anything she needs to do to actually earn that income, and you are doing everything anyway even with her there. Another idea is to hire a mother's helper from a nearby junior high or senior high school to come in for a couple hours every day when they get home from work to play with the kids, etc. You can pay a mother's helper a fraction of what you are paying your nanny and still have a couple of hours to get work done.

Based on your latest reply I say for sure 100% ditch the nanny who is not doing anything to help you and is making things more difficult by ignoring your rules. . . . It sounds like continueing to have this nanny is like flushing you money down the toilet, she is not doing anything she needs to do to actually earn that income, and you are doing everything anyway even with her there. . . . You can pay a mother's helper a fraction of what you are paying your nanny and still have a couple of hours to get work done.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Geez, Lisa, not to be weird or anything, but I only live about half an hour from you, could nanny for you the rest of the year, and I'd take about 2/3's of that income! lol (I'm only half kidding...and I read, do arts and crafts, love outdoors, would help homeschool, and can go all day w/o TV!!!)

Pm me if you want to. :D

My point really is, you can get a part-time nanny who will do exactly what you want for less, utilize your dad a bit, and you should be good to go.

:iagree:. Chris would be great!

Ugh, yeah, given the new details about the nanny, I would say she has to go. I just hate the nanny issues. We've had such bad experiences, and I've had no luck at all finding a mother's helper. The kind of nanny you're looking for costs around $3K here, if not more.

I agree that it does sound like you've made your decision, so go ahead and give it a shot. You really do need another nanny anyway. It can be done, don't get me wrong. You can totally do it. But it makes life very, very difficult. If you really think it's only for a year, and you're all prepared for the changes it's going to require, you can do it.

Though, I sure wouldn't mind having Chris as a backup either!

Now, the cleaning person is something I would really love! When I worked from home in Arkansas with my first born, I had two homeschool girls who came once a week and cleaned for me -- they did a great job. I also had two homeschool girls who "nannied" for me 3 days a week (they took turns) and were great too (of course, I only had one child and I lived in a small town instead of the boonies...).

Honestly, if I can get Tuesdays and Thursdays covered, I'm good. We are definitely leaning towards losing the Nanny. My co-worker (in Utah) thinks I can do it, after the baby is born and we have a couple of weeks there (we were thinking mid-February, to give her some time to find a new position)

The living arrangements we currently have are a huge obstacle to a lot. Did I mention the small, cramped quarters? Really only occupying the basement, and having access to the kitchen upstairs (makes truly cooking and mealtimes around here a real hassle).

We're also preparing to build a home (which will entail more craziness). Loan situations being what they are, we could be starting in February -- or it might not be until June.

I really want to feel like I can't get along without someone (right now, that is my husband!). I feel like I've been clear about expectations (we have a daily schedule posted, I've shown her where all of the activiities are... wrote a contract. She does very light cooking (if it can be heated in the microwave, or used straight out of the fridge). If we have to use the stove, I cook -- but it's a lot easier for me to do that if the children are occupied down here.

At minimum, she needs to be replaced. I'll drop Chris a note and post a message on our homeschool board and see if anything pops up (hasn't really happened that way in the past!)

Lisa

I'd go to a part-time, more involved nanny/babysitter (local college girl? Another homeschooler - a teen? Teen homeschooled girls made the best helpers when we had a therapy program for one of our kids - they are available daytimes and do not cost much. They are also responsible and great kids - those homeschooled teens are the reason I looked into homeschool for my kids! But i digress...) If you could get a teen or two to tack afternoons and give you a solid, kid-free 4 hours a day would that do it???

Chiming in late..

I think 1600 would be good for an effecient nanny for 5 kids in NoVA. Your nanny sounds a little lax. I'd want my $$ worth.

You could go to part time assistance.

If you found someone who is used to the dynamics of homeschooling and running a household(like Chris), that would be great!:001_smile:

After reading the whole thread---I vote let her go. I would imagine the biggest problem for you and nanny is the very small living quarters you have right now. With all the factors you mentioned...your Dad upstairs, your not too distant goal of quitting all together...the ineffecient nanny, the small sf, about to build a house, and last but not least $1600 a month..yes, I say let her go.

I can do a lot of things for a short period of time if I have a goal in mind. And if the savings helps pay off the debt faster, you have a win win.

I'd probably still try to find SOME sort of help. I don't know how you are doing all you are doing right now...