Menu

What Asian ethnicity is this doll? Answered! New question: which outfit do you like better?

MercyA

New question! I can purchase this doll in the red and grey dress and vest outfit or the sweater outfit with the grey tutu. Which do you like better?

Please forgive me if this is a foolish or offensive question. I am buying this doll for a gift and would like to buy some clothes for her as well. I thought it might be fun to buy a dress representing the doll's native ethnicity. Is there anyone here who can make a good guess about that?

https://bestdollsforkids.com/products/asian-fashion-doll-for-children

Thanks!

Edited by MercyA

• MercyA changed the title to What Asian ethnicity is this doll? Answered! New question: which outfit do you like better?
Just now, happi duck said:

So cute!

I like the vest outfit because the floral dress alone is more playable on its own and not winter specific.

The other outfit seems less versatile if I'm looking at the correct one.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for affirming that! And I like the style of the regular play dress better than the tutu skirt.

I think on first glance the dancer one is a bit cuter, though--that's why I was having trouble deciding. I'm a sucker for argyle. 🙂 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MercyA said:

That is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for affirming that! And I like the style of the regular play dress better than the tutu skirt.

I think on first glance the dancer one is a bit cuter, though--that's why I was having trouble deciding. I'm a sucker for argyle. 🙂 

I like argyle, too, but I’m another vote for the other outfit.  Cute doll!  And I’m not a doll person.  🤣

• Like 2

Aww, she's so cute. One of my daughters is Vietnamese, and we would have loved to have her. MIL was on a quest for awhile to get DD an Asian doll, when she was a toddler, and she never found one this nice.

DD was a dancer, so the tutu is tempting, but I also vote for the other outfit.

• Like 2

The first two photos is the same outfit and is more for cold weather or air-conditioned places. That would also be what I had to wear for more formal occasions as a young child (minus the beanie since I don’t like the texture of beanies in general) 

The last photo (with ribbon and three fishes) which is the only one that look pink to me, is more like casual play clothes that a child would wear to the playground or in warm weather. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

The first two photos is the same outfit and is more for cold weather or air-conditioned places. That would also be what I had to wear for more formal occasions as a young child (minus the beanie since I don’t like the texture of beanies in general) 

The last photo (with ribbon and three fishes) which is the only one that look pink to me, is more like casual play clothes that a child would wear to the playground or in warm weather. 

The cold weather clothing is why I did not think of SE Asia as a possible country of origin. . Though of course people from various countries live around the world in all sorts of climates. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I'm sorry; I wasn't very clear! The doll comes in either the dress and vest outfit or the sweater and tutu outfit. The other little summer outfits are sold separately. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MercyA said:

The doll comes in either the dress and vest outfit or the sweater and tutu outfit. 

I favor the dress and vest outfit.  The dress has red flowers and ribbon, and red is an auspicious color. I am not as good at crocheting but my mom’s friends would have crocheted some beanies and cardigans for the doll.

I won’t pick the tutu outfit because I took ballet classes as a 6 year old and being in a cold weather outfit without ballet/dance tights would feel off to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Answering my own question... 😉 

Would a doll like this work for you? She is the smaller sized doll, though, so there won’t be as many outfits available as for the 18” dolls. 

https://www.amazon.com/American-Girl-WellieWishers-Emerson-Doll/dp/B06XRDLBLV/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Asian+American+girl+doll&qid=1623176053&sr=8-7

Apparently, they used to make Ivy and Z Yang, but they have been discontinued. 😞 

Does anyone know if there are any knockoff American Girl brands that might have an Asian doll?

Edited by Catwoman
Added some stuff
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MercyA said:

New question! I can purchase this doll in the red and grey dress and vest outfit or the sweater outfit with the grey tutu. Which do you like better?

Please forgive me if this is a foolish or offensive question. I am buying this doll for a gift and would like to buy some clothes for her as well. I thought it might be fun to buy a dress representing the doll's native ethnicity. Is there anyone here who can make a good guess about that?

https://bestdollsforkids.com/products/asian-fashion-doll-for-children

Thanks!

I looked everywhere for a doll like this when our foster princess lived with us. It's a beautiful doll! My vote is for the red and grey dress and/or the big pants with fish.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Answering my own question... 😉 

Would a doll like this work for you? She is the smaller sized doll, though, so there won’t be as many outfits available as for the 18” dolls. 

https://www.amazon.com/American-Girl-WellieWishers-Emerson-Doll/dp/B06XRDLBLV/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Asian+American+girl+doll&qid=1623176053&sr=8-7

Apparently, they used to make Ivy and Z Yang, but they have been discontinued. 😞 

Does anyone know if there are any knockoff American Girl brands that might have an Asian doll?

Target has a couple that have Asian skintones 18" dolls:   https://www.ourgeneration.com/shop/dolls/suyin or https://www.ourgeneration.com/shop/dolls/leticia

American Girl has Truly Me #64 18" doll: https://www.americangirl.com/shop/p/truly-me-doll-64-plus-sparkle-and-shine-accessories-06bun118

The doll in the OP is gorgeous, but as you said, Catwoman, pretty small and possibly hard to find clothes for.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One other option to throw on the table:

Target has a wonderful line of 18" dolls called Our Generation, several of which are either dark-skinned or Asian.

ETA--I see historically accurate beat me to it on this recommendation. 😀 I bought one of the Our Generation dolls for our little one a few years ago, and I liked having one easy place to go to buy further clothes or accessories. That said, If you go with your original doll (which is a lovely, lovely choice), then keep in mind there's always an Etsy seller out there who can make doll clothes. 

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, historically accurate said:

Target has a couple that have Asian skintones 18" dolls:   https://www.ourgeneration.com/shop/dolls/suyin or https://www.ourgeneration.com/shop/dolls/leticia

American Girl has Truly Me #64 18" doll: https://www.americangirl.com/shop/p/truly-me-doll-64-plus-sparkle-and-shine-accessories-06bun118

The doll in the OP is gorgeous, but as you said, Catwoman, pretty small and possibly hard to find clothes for.  

1 minute ago, Harriet Vane said:

One other option to throw on the table:

Target has a wonderful line of 18" dolls called Our Generation, several of which are either dark-skinned or Asian.

That was what I was hoping someone would find! 

I think the doll Mercy found is much prettier, but the play value (and all of the available clothing and accessories) for the 18” dolls might matter more to a little girl.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

One thing I’m wondering — because the doll is an odd size, will that make it hard to buy accessories and outfits for her?

Are there any Asian American Girl-sized dolls? 

Cat, you are so sweet! Not to worry, this is for my DD and she has specifically requested a doll who is bigger than a Ginny doll (8") but smaller than an American Girl doll (18"). This doll is 11". If I was buying one for a younger child, I would get a "cuddlier" size and one with more clothing available.

I found lots of Etsy doll clothing makers who make clothes for 12" dolls (Baby Alive in particular), so those should work. My mom has also offered to sew some.

I did consider the Wellie Wishers doll at 14" but I think DD would rather have something different. World Vision made a line of 14" dolls called Heart for Hearts representing girls around the world and I was very tempted by those as well. They are gorgeous. Actually, now that I look at the Asian one again I am waffling a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Girls-Dell-USA-Doll/dp/B06Y67G8NP?th=1 (click on Tipi). I love the one from Afghanistan, too.

ETA: Tipi is no longer made and I can't find her on eBay, so that makes my decision easier. 🙂

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Cat, you are so sweet! Not to worry, this is for my DD and she has specifically requested a doll who is bigger than a Ginny doll (8") but smaller than an American Girl doll (18"). This doll is 11". If I was buying one for a younger child, I would get a "cuddlier" size and one with more clothing available.

I found lots of Etsy doll clothing makers who make clothes for 12" dolls (Baby Alive in particular), so those should work. My mom has also offered to sew some.

I did consider the Wellie Wishers doll at 14" but I think DD would rather have something different. World Vision made a line of 14" dolls called Heart for Hearts representing girls around the world and I was very tempted by those as well. They are gorgeous. Actually, now that I look at the Asian one again I am waffling a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Girls-Dell-USA-Doll/dp/B06Y67G8NP?th=1 (click on Tipi). I love the one from Afghanistan, too.

ETA: Tipi is no longer made and I can't find her on eBay, so that makes my decision easier. 🙂

I really love the Heart for Heart dolls but they never stayed in stock that long. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

I really love the Heart for Heart dolls but they never stayed in stock that long. 😞

I love them, too! There are quite a few on eBay, some new in box, just not the Laos doll. 

One thing I did notice--a fair amount of the played with dolls have eyes that have turned purple! I think they were originally dark brown eyes with a purple tint and have discolored over the years.

53 minutes ago, MercyA said:

One thing I did notice--a fair amount of the played with dolls have eyes that have turned purple! I think they were originally dark brown eyes with a purple tint and have discolored over the years.

https://dollsdollsdolls.net/2017/06/28/the-eyes-have-it/
“Since the 1990’s or thereabouts there are many dolls that have had their eyes completely change colour. For instance a brown or hazel eyed doll may have turned pink or purple or a blue-eyed doll eyes have turned grey. 

It is now known this was not the case and occurs mainly in glastic or acrylic eyes that have been used not only in some cheaper dolls, but also many expensive artist dolls. Name brand dolls that I know to have been affected include Baby Born, Annette Himstedt Dolls, Jan McLean Dolls, Franklin Mint, Danbury Mint, Heiti Ott, Gotz, American Girl, Lee Middleton Dolls, Hildegard Gunzel dolls and many more! Even doll artists making their own porcelain dolls have used these eyes and often they were EXPENSIVE eyes. It is not known why some batches were affected and others were not. It really is, and still is to some point to this day, “luck of the draw”.

So can anything be done about these eyes? In my opinion there are 3 options. 1) You could go to the expense of having the dolls eyes changed, 2) I read where there had been some success using a Sharpie Ultra Fine Tip BROWN permanent marker to re-colour the outer surface of the eyes to return them to brown (if they were this colour in the first place) or 3) just love the doll for how it is!“

• Thanks 1