Menu

Who is ready to kick off college application season for Class of ‘22?

fourisenough

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Another acceptance… two weeks ago. Sigh. It was buried in her inbox. She started looking for it when she got an invite for an admitted students event. 😆

That's what colleges get for still sending e-mails when kids that age never check e-mail 😂 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kokotg said:

That's what colleges get for still sending e-mails when kids that age never check e-mail 😂 

She does! She just gets so much email in that account. She had something like 123 emails in her inbox yesterday from the last week or so.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

First audition is finished! This got a little complicated: he was supposed to fly to Wisconsin this weekend for the audition, but then he got a call that the main clarinet professor is in the hospital and wouldn't be able to do auditions, but that they have a new second clarinet teacher that he could audition with over zoom. So while we were trying to decide if he'd still fly up there to see the campus and do the online audition from there I realized that I somehow booked the plane tickets for the wrong day!! I have no idea how that happened, but we took it as a sign to stay home, audition from home online, cancel the flight, and use the delta credit to visit in the spring (assuming he gets in and the school is still in contention). 

ANYWAY, he thinks the audition went well. He liked clarinet teacher #2 and says the guy told him that he's "very, very good." Which is what you want to hear. This is early action, so he should hear back by mid-December. 

• Like 11

On 11/11/2021 at 7:59 PM, kokotg said:

I guess if I was the colleges, I'd wonder how else I'd send the notice? Social media? Seems a bit forward & stalky. Text message? My kids don't share their cell number with even the college they attend unless they have to (stupid duo verifications)!

My college freshman has explained that none of her classmates seem to check email, but I don't know of another good alternative. Her college is trying to move to text messages but students have to opt in. 

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I guess if I was the collrges, I'd wonder how else I'd send the notice? Social media? Seems a bit forward & stalky. Text message? My kids don't share their cell number with even the college they attend unless they have to (stupid duo verifications)!

My college freshman has explained that none of her classmates seem to check email, but I don't know of another good alternative. Her college is trying to move to text messages but students have to opt in. 

I almost made a joke about TikTok acceptance notices, but I decided I'd probably fumble it badly and sound exceptionally old 🙂

• Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...

He finally submitted his Oberlin prescreen, after much fretting. I have no idea if the prescreen is more a way to filter out the truly hopeless or if it's a very competitive first round audition. I remember that a couple of years ago when we did a conservatory tour, Oberlin wasn't yet prescreening for clarinet, and now they are...but I don't know what to make of that. Anyway, it's in and now he waits! In the meantime, he still has to submit his Blair/Vanderbilt prescreen and he has an audition at his in-state school this Friday. He's supposed to hear back from Oberlin about the prescreen and from Lawrence about early action mid-December, so that will affect the holiday mood around here one way or the other. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

We were waiting for DS16 to finalize his choices to submit else we would have submitted earlier.  He ended up picking 4 UCs to apply to. 
One thing we didn’t like about the UC app was that they only check the a-g requirements and geometry requirement after you click submit. Then they flag out any errors and you have to edit your application before resubmitting. 
The CSU app tallies the a-g requirement as you key in your coursework.

Check a through g? Oh boy. 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

We had to check the geometry not completed box since DS16 did his geometry in 6th grade, then explain in the additional info textbox.

They do check a-g. Then said we met all a-g requirements, but geometry requirement not met.

A parent posted on twitter

“Replying to 
@UC_Apply
Oh that's good.  My son was trying to submit his last night and an automated error check said he was short two required classes (he's not, and we've been struggling to figure out the problem).”

It seems that ever since they became test blind and subject tests went away, they became really hostile to PSA kids. I am not sure we will even bother next year. My kid has several areas were A through G won’t be met according to their standards, and we don’t intent to play their game. 

Congratulations on hitting submit button! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

To be fair, the UC app is the one that allows subject test scores to be submitted. CSU app does not. 

For both CSU and UC, the a-g courses are self declared and the applications are just automatically counting based on what category you classify your home brew classes as. 

The parent on Twitter with the two missing subjects issue was due to her child having classes that were wrongly categorized as quarter classes instead of semester classes. So they resolved their issue and submitted. 

We got started on prepping for SAT French subject test and boom, they cancelled. I have subject tests cancelled three times and now they are gone completely. Now I have entire categories we were going to use those tests completely unchecked. It’s Ok 🙂 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Now I have entire categories we were going to use those tests completely unchecked. It’s Ok 🙂 

Our history classes are home brew with a tutor. UC automated checker does not check against their long UC approved courses list. Neither does CSU. 

I know state universities aren’t high priority for you. Just clarifying for anyone reading. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

Our history classes are home brew with a tutor. UC automated checker does not check against their long UC approved courses list. Neither does CSU. 

I know state universities aren’t high priority for you. Just clarifying for anyone reading. 

🙏🙏🙏

11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

We got started on prepping for SAT French subject test and boom, they cancelled. I have subject tests cancelled three times and now they are gone completely. Now I have entire categories we were going to use those tests completely unchecked. It’s Ok 🙂 

Subject tests going away pretty much made me cross our state flagship off my 10th grader's potential colleges list. He now has no way to "verify" the biology he did in 9th grade other than taking AP bio senior year or DE class (which he would HATE). If he really wanted to go there we'd figure it out, but since I don't think it's the best fit for him anyway, it was easy to decide to stop jumping through their hoops.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, Farrar said:

So far... DePaul with good merit and Appalachian State. Thrilled about App State. With our DC money, it would be affordable for us without much aid. 

Hey, it would be great if our kids both ended up at App!  Mine is 99% sure he is going.   He only applied to 2 college and is waiting for the other one, but even if he gets in to the other one, he says he wants App.  

What is DC money?

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Mine applied to NC State too, but hasn't heard yet.

My cousin is a forestry prof there 🙂

Mine did a few NC schools because we have family there and her sister is at Duke for grad school. She is hoping for further up the East Coast but there are many things to consider, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Hey, it would be great if our kids both ended up at App!  Mine is 99% sure he is going.   He only applied to 2 college and is waiting for the other one, but even if he gets in to the other one, he says he wants App.  

What is DC money?

Right now App is very low on his list. But it keeps changing. And the money may turn out to make a difference. I know so many kids who got into App! It's such a good school. So well priced. I have a good friend from high school who is a prof there, so if I can't send him somewhere with family, sending him somewhere with good family friends would be a nice little bonus. But I have a feeling he won't pick it.

DC money is that as DC residents we get $10k for public school tuition per year from a program called DCTAG. It sounds great until you realize that a huge number of public colleges are about $15k in state and $35k out of state, bringing tuition to more like $25k. Better, but not as great as having in state options. One version of the reconciliation bill significantly increased that money, but so far no dice. Sigh.

What makes App nice is that in state is just under $8k, out of state is $23.5, so we'd have what I would consider to be an "in state" level cost there of $13.5. That's super reasonable. I doubt we'll get any aid except the option of loans, but with costs like that, who cares. Plus, no aid issues and he could apply for scholarships and actually use them.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GoodGrief3 said:

My cousin is a forestry prof there 🙂

Mine did a few NC schools because we have family there and her sister is at Duke for grad school. She is hoping for further up the East Coast but there are many things to consider, of course.

My friend is a math professor there.   He actually is a friend from my CA days.   

30 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Right now App is very low on his list. But it keeps changing. And the money may turn out to make a difference. I know so many kids who got into App! It's such a good school. So well priced. I have a good friend from high school who is a prof there, so if I can't send him somewhere with family, sending him somewhere with good family friends would be a nice little bonus. But I have a feeling he won't pick it.

DC money is that as DC residents we get $10k for public school tuition per year from a program called DCTAG. It sounds great until you realize that a huge number of public colleges are about $15k in state and $35k out of state, bringing tuition to more like $25k. Better, but not as great as having in state options. One version of the reconciliation bill significantly increased that money, but so far no dice. Sigh.

What makes App nice is that in state is just under $8k, out of state is $23.5, so we'd have what I would consider to be an "in state" level cost there of $13.5. That's super reasonable. I doubt we'll get any aid except the option of loans, but with costs like that, who cares. Plus, no aid issues and he could apply for scholarships and actually use them.

Ah, ok.   I was under the impression that DC folks could get in-state anywhere they decided to go, so this is enlightening.

• Like 1

He passed the prescreen at Oberlin! Phew! I know it's dangerous to have a dream school at this point, but he totally does, and Oberlin's it. So I'm glad we don't have to get through Christmas with a kid who just had his dreams crushed 🙂 . Now we have a January Ohio roadtrip in our future for the final audition. I'm very interested to see if Oberlin holds up in person to what he's built up in his head; he saw it in person 3 years ago when we visited with his older brother, and then he had a sample lesson with the clarinet prof over a year ago now. 

• Like 11

Oldest has gotten acceptances at Earlham, College of Wooster, Allegheny, Roanoke College, Hollins, Beloit, and Mary Washington.  Still waiting to hear from Longwood and SIU, but I don't think either of those are a top choice.  Good merit aid from Earlham, Allegheny, and Roanoke College, and a finalist for full tuition scholarship at Hollins.  They're really excited about Mary Washington, though, and I think that may be a top "away" option.  

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

Oldest has gotten acceptances at Earlham, College of Wooster, Allegheny, Roanoke College, Hollins, Beloit, and Mary Washington.  Still waiting to hear from Longwood and SIU, but I don't think either of those are a top choice.  Good merit aid from Earlham, Allegheny, and Roanoke College, and a finalist for full tuition scholarship at Hollins.  They're really excited about Mary Washington, though, and I think that may be a top "away" option.  

Oh yay! I love this list. Lots of good options for them.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 1:46 PM, Terabith said:

My daughter just finished her first semester at Mary Washington and really loves it there. It's been a great experience for her so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DS finally submitted his two other prescreens yesterday. Now we wait. Vanderbilt and Bard (which he had taken off his list because they require a dual degree, but he ended up adding it back in). He should hear back from both by mid January. And we also wait to hear if he'll actually get to audition in person anywhere. Sigh. Oberlin sent out an e-mail saying they HOPE they'll still be doing in person auditions, and they'll make a decision after January 4. 

• Like 7

Anyone else throw in a last-minute application this weekend? DD saw her pediatrician in late-Dec and told her all about her college application process. Doctor asked her, have you considered applying to X (for reasons very specific to DD’s profile/goals which Doc knows well)? We really hadn’t but that comment sent us down a rabbit-hole. Long story short, DD put in her final (and, I think, best) application on Sunday. We’ll see…

• Like 5

1 hour ago, fourisenough said:

Anyone else throw in a last-minute application this weekend? DD saw her pediatrician in late-Dec and told her all about her college application process. Doctor asked her, have you considered applying to X (for reasons very specific to DD’s profile/goals which Doc knows well)? We really hadn’t but that comment sent us down a rabbit-hole. Long story short, DD put in her final (and, I think, best) application on Sunday. We’ll see…

DS put Bard back on his list pretty last minute and finished that up right before Christmas (he actually still needs to send them an academic paper to complete his application). And he's still deciding about applying to Oberlin College in addition to the conservatory, in case he doesn't get into the con and decides he'd rather do their Musical Studies BA instead of going the BM route elsewhere (he could also audition again next year for the con that way, but I don't know if many people actually make it in that way). The deadline's not until the 15th, and all he'd need to do to finish is the "Why Oberlin?" essay. I think he'd be likely to get into the college, and I think it'd be a good fit...and that it's probably a good idea to have a backup plan in case a performance major (particularly at somewhere that's not one of his top choices) sounds less appealing by May. 

• Like 6

On 1/3/2022 at 1:04 PM, kokotg said:

DS put Bard back on his list pretty last minute and finished that up right before Christmas (he actually still needs to send them an academic paper to complete his application). And he's still deciding about applying to Oberlin College in addition to the conservatory, in case he doesn't get into the con and decides he'd rather do their Musical Studies BA instead of going the BM route elsewhere (he could also audition again next year for the con that way, but I don't know if many people actually make it in that way). The deadline's not until the 15th, and all he'd need to do to finish is the "Why Oberlin?" essay. I think he'd be likely to get into the college, and I think it'd be a good fit...and that it's probably a good idea to have a backup plan in case a performance major (particularly at somewhere that's not one of his top choices) sounds less appealing by May. 

Is it true that only conservatory kids are able to take private music lessons at Oberlin? I was told even Musical Studies majors at Oberlin weren’t able to access private lessons. Do you know anything about that? 

7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Is it true that only conservatory kids are able to take private music lessons at Oberlin? I was told even Musical Studies majors at Oberlin weren’t able to access private lessons. Do you know anything about that? 

Sort of - only Con students can take from their studio professors, but College students can take from Con students as "secondary lessons."  My dd taught several students over a period of years and is an excellent teacher, but is not the star professor!  She was paid by the Con to teach but I'm sorry to say I don't know whether the secondary students had to pay for lessons or not.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

He hasn't looked it into it, but we were assuming it's like @Eos says...just logistically I don't see how the studio profs would have time to take on any non-con students on a regular basis (if you figure a wind instrument professor probably already has 15-20 students at any given time, all of whom need private lessons). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eos said:

She was paid by the Con to teach but I'm sorry to say I don't know whether the secondary students had to pay for lessons or not.

Quoting myself to say dd says yes, the secondary students do have to pay, but they get credit for the lessons.  

• Like 1