Menu

Who is ready to kick off college application season for Class of ‘22?

fourisenough

LOLOLOLOL--woke up to a PM on college confidential from someone whose son just turned down Oberlin for clarinet (where Milo's on the waitlist). Heh. So we'll see. I don't even know if I want that call to come anymore. Have I mentioned the FA is REALLY GOOD at Vanderbilt? 😉 

Edited by kokotg
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, kokotg said:

LOLOLOLOL--woke up a PM on college confidential from someone whose son just turned down Oberlin for clarinet (where Milo's on the waitlist). Heh. So we'll see. I don't even know if I want that call to come anymore. Have I mentioned the FA is REALLY GOOD at Vanderbilt? 😉 

OMG. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kokotg said:

Maybe my final update 🙂 E-mail from Oberlin yesterday that the waitlist is "on hold" for now, so it's not looking likely at all. We ordered Vanderbilt t-shirts last night!

Congrats! Vandy is clearly getting a gem.

If your Ds ever needs a nearby boardie mom, remember there are several of us here in Music City. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

DD graduated Saturday. This morning I updated her transcript and submitted the final version to her U via Common App. I also filed the printed transcript in her portfolio. Can I retire as her guidance counselor and just be mom now?!

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 16

• 3 weeks later...

Also just wrapped up my last graduate's stuff and filed his transcript for college! Woo!

After a bit of anguish about how he was going to get a C in Derek Owens calculus, then resignation, then me saying, "hey, actually, I just looked at your grades and you don't even need that high of a B on the final to make a B overall..." and having him laugh at me and tell me there was a snowball's chance in hell... His final grade was a 79.9. Woohoo! No C's for my kid. He was really thrilled with himself actually. I was like, quick, take the college required math placement while you're riding this high!

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 5:49 AM, MamaSprout said:

My ulcer is fired up and ready.

We won't decide for sure if she'll apply for next fall until July, though, and it would only be three two schools. Dd and Dh actually only want her to apply to one, so three two is a compromise for everyone. ETA3- We do have a solid 11 schools to apply to if she graduates high school in 2023. It's just that there isn't a really a good reason academically, financially or socially for her to stay home another year if her first choice pans out.

I do have her enrolled in the Inspektor essay workshop, and I am counting as a quarter English credit. 

ETA: All three are Common App schools, so if there are no-essay/no app fee schools, I'm sure I could get her to add them, but she really not interested in liberal arts schools at all. ETA2; her siblings applied before Common App existed, so this is a whole-new thing for me to learn.

I'm having whiplash that this thread is a year old.

My ulcer has all new things to be fired up for, lol.

How is everyone's last summer before college?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

I'm having whiplash that this thread is a year old.

My ulcer has all new things to be fired up for, lol.

We're on a 2 month road trip with our RV...I hope he'll be with us for next summer's trip, or at least for a lot of it, but there's no telling what he'll be up to, so I'm trying to soak this one in! Once we get back we have about 3 weeks before he leaves. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Mine was planning to have an easy summer at home, but a last-minute internship opportunity opened up (he had inquired, but the spot was already taken... but after talking with him, they decided to create another position just for him and it all came together very last minute) - so he is now out of state and trying to rapidly adjust to his change of plans. So far the internship is wonderful, though.

We had a whirlwind of shopping (seemed he needed *everything* because he' apparently grown about 3 inches this year, but usually lives in shorts and sweatshirts, so we hadn't really noticed!!!) before he left. Suits, shirts, shoes, khakis, polos.... DH and I are recovering from that $$ experience of outfitting a kid with an otherwise empty closet, lol!)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Roommate has been secured, new student orientation has been completed, and she is off to her job out-of-state as a summer camp counselor for the next 9 weeks! So glad we’ll have her home for 3 weeks in August before she leaves for university.

My to-do list this week includes purging/organizing my school cabinet which contains all the printed material that was part of the college search/application process; that will feel cathartic!

• Like 9

Unfortunately, I'm not getting off this merry-go-round quite yet.  I'm knee-deep in the college process for my rising senior. so I'm still doing college visits and planning a big college visit trip for the end of July.  Everything is low-key here with the college-bound kid.  Summer job starts next week, and language proficiency test will be taken next week.   Flights have already been made to college for freshman trip and then for us for move-in day. Thanksgiving flights will be made as soon as they go on sale in the next few days.  The dorm accoutrements thread was very helpful for creating the dorm list.  Am I forgetting anything???? 

I'm excited for my kids. This has been their journey. It seems like we have taken an unconventional, circuitous route from the moment we started homeschooling. But it's all worked out, almost as if it was planned 🙂 

Thank you, MamasSprout, for being the caretaker of this thread!  It's been wonderful to share this year's experience with other homeschooling parents.  And congratulations to all of you and to your kids. 

• Like 10