Menu

women was fined for reporting stalker...then he killed her

ktgrok

They fined HER when she reported him. Worse - their reasoning was that they thought they were in a current relationship and had a spat. Um, so if they WERE dating, and her boyfriend chased her and pulled her hair and hit her an took her phone....that would be okay???? On that assumption, they fined her. They charged her money for reporting an assault. Then, he killed her.
And people wonder why women don't report domestic violence and rape. Cause it doesn't matter. The only one hurt by that most of the time is the woman reporting. 
Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 30

It is just horrific what hapoened to her.  In this country, we have the problem of restraining orders where you have to  give your address on  the document and change it any time you move.   That gives violent stalkers who plan to murder or do great harm a road path to get to get the victim and who cares zbout the sentence for violating protective order if you are already committing murder.

• Sad 1

Not sure what the laws are in the UK, but I can assure you that bail orders for domestic violence situations are very specific and rigorous in the US.  If someone is in any kind of intimate relationship and bodily contact occurs - even for just a push, but definitely what you described above - they are entered into a federal database for domestic violence offenders and have many prohibitive conditions set if they are released.  That's not to say that DV killings after a restraining order don't happen, but I can assure you the victim would not have been fined and disbelieved. 

1 hour ago, Amy in NH said:

Not sure what the laws are in the UK, but I can assure you that bail orders for domestic violence situations are very specific and rigorous in the US.  If someone is in any kind of intimate relationship and bodily contact occurs - even for just a push, but definitely what you described above - they are entered into a federal database for domestic violence offenders and have many prohibitive conditions set if they are released.  That's not to say that DV killings after a restraining order don't happen, but I can assure you the victim would not have been fined and disbelieved. 

It's hard to tell from the article, but I  suspect that the police did not believe that contact had taken place. They believed the boyfriend when he said that it was just a story made up to cover up infidelity. Not excusing how badly it was handled, of course. 

1 hour ago, Amy in NH said:

There would have to be an actual arrest though. 

• Like 1

Good grief I didn’t need to see this. That’s so tragic and disturbing. Just unthinkable. My “stalker” never actually threatened physical harm, but I was still terrified of him. And this—her experience—is why. I was terrified of openly rejecting him and making him angry. But if you aren’t willing to do that, there’s no legal recourse.  Of course she was brave and did reject him, and she still had no protection. I was lucky that I moved hundreds of miles away that year. He continued to call me and leave me messages for over a year. 

I cannot imagine what this young woman went through.

eta...I was happily married at the time (still am). I was never in a personal relationship with this man. I hired him to do some renovations on our house, and it just got really weird really fast. 

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 2

On 3/23/2021 at 8:00 PM, ktgrok said:
They fined HER when she reported him. Worse - their reasoning was that they thought they were in a current relationship and had a spat. Um, so if they WERE dating, and her boyfriend chased her and pulled her hair and hit her an took her phone....that would be okay???? On that assumption, they fined her. They charged her money for reporting an assault. Then, he killed her.
And people wonder why women don't report domestic violence and rape. Cause it doesn't matter. The only one hurt by that most of the time is the woman reporting. 

Tragic!  When will society/authorities wake up?

this is terrible - and having been one who reported, the worst person I spoke with - was a woman cop, she was skeptical to my face and quite disdainful of my report.  The males were at least polite, and I know at least some took it seriously.

• Sad 2