Menu

3rd Grade Planning List 2021-2022

Hello, Homeschoolers! 

After such a bizarre year I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of planning for the one upcoming, but time waits for no one...

In the upcoming school year will you be primarily “doing the next thing” with familiar resources? Switching a few resources? Starting over from scratch? If you aren’t sure yet, we’re here to be your sounding-board!

Whatever your plans, share them below!

Edited by Shoes+Ships+SealingWax

We took a month-long break in October and moved in December, so I’m thinking we’ll continue through summer, albeit with a lighter schedule. 

Summer 2021

Math: Didax Pentominoes, Living Math Middle Ages (?)

LA: Complete IEW FMFT, EM Critical & Creative Thinking

Science: Marine Biology

Art: Watercolors, Printmaking, Flower Pressing, Drawing

PE: Swim Lessons, Tennis

Fall 2021 - Spring 2022

Math: Beast Academy 4C-?

LA: MCT Town. NaNoWriMo. AAS 5. Typing (?)

Science: RSO Chemistry

History: HQ Middle Ages cont’d (Black Plague to Elizabethan Times)

Art: Wrapped into science / history

PE: Tennis, Soccer

Other: Music lessons (?) Coding classes (?) Youth Theatre (?) 

This is tenitive....always for this early

RightStart D Nope we're all switching to Horizons. We need the drill, review and streamlined approach....I will teach with some of the RightStart ideas though. I've learned alot;)

Rod and Staff English 3 finish and start 4 Nope doing MFW Language lessons for today

Apples and pears b+c with brother or just b(spring and summer) and move to dictation Nope doing Christian Liberty spelling

Parts of Heart of Dakota preparing....she likes the looks of the science and I want a history overview Nope

We are doing Beautiful feet around the world with picture books with kinder brother and adding in some resources from MFW exploring countries and galloping the globe 

The above will have some science and will be all the science for little brother she will add in Apologia

... we may do Apologia plants too or instead... Doing plants with notebooking journal

Spanish song school 2 maybe?? quite sure we will with little brother and sis listening in

And books, random worksheets... 

Edited by countrymum
Changed several things based on what WAS NOT working:)
  • Like 2

Current plan:

Together:

-Bible: reading the Bible... Nice and simple 

History: SOTW back to vol 1

Science: berean builders (I think the 3rd/4th book of the series)

Separate

Reading-whatever we find.  I don't usually have much of a plan.

Greek-book 3 of Hey Andrew!

Latin-book 1 of Latin's Not so Tough

Cursive-made my own thing for older brother

Spelling-Dictation Day by Day

Grammar-I think I'll use a little bit of Plain and Not so Plain, read Grammarland again, and do an older grammar program I found free that I'm using with ds9 right now (can't remember the name of it)

Writing Strands #3

Math: continue with Rod and Staff

Piano

Edited by LauraClark
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Tweaking things a bit, as it looks like some materials will last longer than I initially anticipated.

I can’t remember how to format strikethrough, so I’ll just make the changes below:

On 1/15/2021 at 3:45 PM, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

Summer 2021

I’m splitting this into two themed sub-units. The first inspired by Blue Balliet’s Chasing Vermeer, the second focused on marine biology. 

Session 1 
Math: Didax Pentominoes

LA: Chasing Vermeer, IEW FMFT / ATFF Unit 4

Art: Math in art topics - tessellations, symmetry, golden ratio, Fibonacci sequences, etc. 

Session 2 

Math: Ocearch Applied Math Lessons

LA: Various readers & encyclopedia entries pertaining to ocean creatures. Writing paragraph reports. 

Science: Marine Biology via Ocearch & Pinterest activities / videos

Art: GlitterBomb Tide Pool Art, ocean-themed mixed media projects

Fall 2021 - Spring 2022

Math: Beast Academy 4D-5D

LA: IEW FMFT / ATFF Units 5-7, NaNoWriMo, AAS 5, Typing (?)

PE: Tennis, Soccer

• 2 weeks later...

Bible - Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Reading - Assigned Book List; Fun Book List & Family Read-alouds

Math - Finish up Saxon Math 5/4 and start 6/5

Grammar - First Language Lessons 3

Writing - Writing With Ease 3 - I may switch writing curriculum altogether

Spelling - Spelling Workout E, F and G

Latin - MP Prima Latina & MP New American Cursive w/ Prima Latina copybook

Science - Chemistry - thinking of using Focus On Chemistry (previously known as RS4K)

History - ??  Don't know

Art - Home Art Studio

Music - Piano lessons

We are relaxed secular homeschoolers. My soon to be 3rd grader is gifted with ADHD. 

Family: Unit Studies, Read Alouds

Brain Warmup: Chalkboard 10min Daily Math

Math: Singapore Math

Reading: His picks & books that go with our unit study

Writing/Grammar: BraveWriter Darts, Weekly FreeWrite

Spelling: All About Spelling 2

Extras: Keyboarding Without Tears

I aphad said the above was tentative....boy is it:) As our family grows some things just aren't serving us too well... The bold is the changes I've made as I evaluate this spring.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, countrymum said:

RightStart D Nope we're all switching to Horizons. We need the drill, review and streamlined approach....I will teach with some of the RightStart ideas though. I've learned alot;)

Rod and Staff English 3 finish and start 4 Nope doing MFW Language lessons for today

Apples and pears b+c with brother or just b(spring and summer) and move to dictation Nope doing Christian Liberty spelling

Parts of Heart of Dakota preparing....she likes the looks of the science and I want a history overview Nope

We are doing Beautiful feet around the world with picture books with kinder brother and adding in some resources from MFW exploring countries and galloping the globe 

The above will have some science and will be all the science for little brother she will add in Apologia

... we may do Apologia plants too or instead... Doing plants with notebooking journal

Spanish song school 2 maybe?? quite sure we will with little brother and sis listening in

And books, random worksheets... She will read books, I assign her and help do "school" with little sis and bro about 4 times a week for 10-15 min. She helps little sibling with phonics or counting practice or helps with a little worksheet...We have a bit of montessori type stuff for this.

My 6th, most school-resistant child, and the one I'm most laid back on 😉

Math- Keeping trucking with Beast Academy. Should be in 3b, c, and d.

Language Arts- Treasured Conversations, followed by Writing and Rhetoric Fables as well as Sequential Spelling and copywork. Daily oral narrations.

History- SOTW 3.

Science- Astronomy and weather, curriculum undecided.  His older siblings are using Signs and Seasons but I don't know how much will be scalable to his level.

Typing and Piano.

Plus lots of quality books read both independently and out loud, and a morning "riches" of bible, saints, memory work, poetry, art appreciation, and nature study.

Plans so far for my last 3rd grader. Mostly just continuing what we are doing this year.

Language Arts:

Lightning Literature

AAS 2/3

Writing With Ease level 2

Math:

Hopefully continue pilot testing Math With Confidence (Kate Snow)

History:

History Quest Middle Times 

Science:

Science Odyssey Physics level 1

Other:

Art projects with mom

Cooking using 4H curriculum with mom

If things have opened up a bit more handbells class, choir, and musical theater 

Guys! I had to stop and think what grade was next. I certainly haven't thought about next year. It seems for now it's more do the next thing or back to old favorites.

Let's see 🤔

Math - BJU 3 and Kate Snow Subtraction Facts That Stick

WWE 2

FLL 2

Spelling - idk I was thinking of Spelling Power 

Reading from the Mensa Book List and MP booklist

History - My boys have asked to go back to VP so we will be on Early Explorers or whatever it's called.

Science - The boys are currently debating this. My 7 year old wants Apologia flying creatures and the 9 year old wants anything but flying creatures.

Geography - Highlights Which Way US

Have I missed anything? 🤔

Ah yes, something for Bible. We didn't love BJU this year. I'm looking at VP you teach. 

Edited by Elizabeth86

On 2/23/2021 at 2:01 PM, Classically Minded said:

Writing - Writing and Rhetoric Fables

Spelling - Spelling Workout E and F

Vocabulary - Worldly Wise A

Science - Christian Kids Explore Chemistry (fleshed out with videos, books, etc.)

History - A Child's History of the World or SOTW 1

Art - Home Art Studio

Music - Piano lessons

I decided to try something else for writing besides WWE 3, going with Writing and Rhetoric Fables and we'll if it is a good fit because he has no issues at all with writing and needs to move faster than WWE has him doing.  I may actually start it as soon as we get it here soon and pause WWE 2.

He also wants vocabulary, so I'm going to try out Worldly Wise A and see how that goes, so we won't be moving as fast through Spelling Workout as he has been.  I think we will only finish up the rest of SWO E and then SWO F, as we add in vocabulary alongside.  As with writing, I may add in WW A now alongside SWO because he is so eager for it.

I was going to use Focus on Chemistry (RS4K) but after looking at the samples, I really think it is about the same as the CKE Chemistry I already own, except CKE has less pictures and B&W.  I will be fleshing out CKE Chemistry more with DVDs, YouTube videos, books and a chemistry kit, kind of like we've already been doing in 1st and 2nd grades.

For history, we have tried SOTW 1 the past 2 years and he hates it, so before I try it again in 3rd (I know I just can't give up on it because I love it)... we are going to try what a lot recommended on the forums to me; A Child's History of the World.  I got a used copy for $10.  If all else fails, I know he likes Abeka.

Kiddo #3 will be in 3rd next year.

Math - MM 6, Hands on Geometry, Hands on Equations, Zaccaro's Problem Solving Genius

Writing - Five Paragraph Essays + Lantern + Typing
Literature - Lots of Reading
Grammar - MCT Grammar Island
Spelling - AAS 5

Science - Mr. Q Physical Science (mixture of elementary level and advanced level)

History - OUP Middle Ages books

Spanish - Rosetta Stone, Duolingo, reading, listening, speaking

Music - Piano
Art - Comic book drawing

Memorization - Anki

1 hour ago, wendyroo said:

Typing

What will you be using for this?

I had hoped to use Burning Cargo, but they’ve discontinued it. Typing.com won’t run on my laptop. TypingClub looks thorough, if a  bit dry. DanceMat looks cheesy (perhaps DS would find it cute?) & doesn’t track speed or accuracy. Handwriting w/o Tears looks okay, but I’m not sold on it & it’s the only one of the lot that costs. I just haven’t seen anything that really looked GREAT, kwim?

9 minutes ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

What will you be using for this?

I had hoped to use Burning Cargo, but they’ve discontinued it. Typing.com won’t run on my laptop. TypingClub looks thorough, if a  bit dry. DanceMat looks cheesy (perhaps DS would find it cute?) & doesn’t track speed or accuracy. Handwriting w/o Tears looks okay, but I’m not sold on it & it’s the only one of the lot that costs. I just haven’t seen anything that really looked GREAT, kwim?

Spencer has made it through all the levels of Typing.com. Now he is using https://www.freetypinggame.net/play.asp and https://www.nitrotype.com/. Finally, I will have him practice a little with https://thepracticetest.com/typing/tests/practice-paragraphs/...though that might not be until the following year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

How precise do they have to be with this for the explorations to “work”?
I think my DS would enjoy it, but he’s not the tidiest.

Some more than others.

I think they build pretty well - the earlier constructions require less precision than the later ones.

Also, I think there is a lot to be learned even if the figures don't come out perfectly. Like when my kids tried to construct the regular octagon, it kind of came out a wonky mess. But, they could tell me the steps they took, why they were necessary to construct the octagon, and what skills they would need to make it neater and more precise.

But, no, it did not particularly look like a regular octagon when they were done. Largely because the book does not have them erase any of the intermediary steps, so it is an octagon inscribed inside a circle, overlaid over a bunch of lines and arcs that were used for construction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tweaking once again. Changes in bold.

Summer 2021

Marine Biology, GlitterBomb Tide Pool Art, BA 4C, Math Novels, Swim, Cooking Camp, Theatre Camp, Soccer Skills Camp

Fall 2021 - Spring 2022

Math: Beast Academy 4D-5D

LA: IEW FMFT, NaNoWriMo, AAS 5, Typing, MCT Town, Scholastic Latin & Greek Roots, Athena’s Mathematics of Poetry

PE: Tennis, Soccer, Scouts, Swim (?)

• 2 weeks later...

My youngest child is going to be in 3rd grade this coming year. 

I’ve been struggling with putting a plan together and have been popping in here a few times to see if there is anything new and interesting I should take a look at 😊

Bible, History, Geography, Lit: I think history was the subject that was the hardest for me to decide on this year. I’ve ordered Biblioplan Ancients for the first time and I’m waiting for it to arrive. If this works for us then we’ll be able to cycle through it twice before he graduates. I have so many of the resources already on my shelves from homeschooling the older kids.

Math CLE 3

LA  LLATL yellow, I also have Cursive First if we need extra handwriting and I picked up Spelling Workout C (We added SWO B this year and it is easy for him, but it gives him confidence so we’ll keep going with it.)

Science  MB God’s Design for Life as a spine with extra supplements to keep things interesting

swim lessons in the summer, Piano lessons and Brazilian Jui-Jitsu year round  He doesn’t want to do this anymore 😞

Art I don’t have anything really planned, but the history comes with a craft book that we may use

Edited by Mona

Last 3rd grader-

Continuing on with-

Math: Horizons Math 3

LA: Spelling Workout C (maybe part of D); WWE 3; Finish Mensa 1-3 booklist (if we don't finish this summer I think there are 3 to go) and start 4-6

History: A History of US Condensed Books C& D- + some Sunflower Timeline and RA's

Science: G&B Science unit studies- reptiles and amphibians if they are out and birds

Art: G&B Drawing 2 and various art projects

New:

Science: McHenry Botany- and Elements if that goes well

LA: Guest Hollow Grammar- skipping last portion that gets into more difficult concepts

Might do some other writing program too but I'm not sure what I want to work on with her. I have W&R and TC both here and might play with them.

Math: Thinking of combining Horizons with some BA2 too. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1

My second third grader is doing what my eldest did a year behind. Much of this is done as a family.

Bible: The Ology in the morning basket, The Most Important thing You'll Ever Study in the evening together, and CLE 3 independently.

History: SOTW III with Time Frame (timeline) and Activity Guide.

Science: Classical Astronomy (MP), reading CLP Nature Readers to the little ones.

Math: Second half of Saxon 5/4.

LA: Dictation Day By Day, Reading Lessons Through Literature.

Language: The Fun Spanish, Hey Andrew 3.

Arts: Artistic Pursuits Middle School, Piano.

Finally have enough pulled together to put something here... that will no doubt change.

Math: Beast Academy, maybe 3D? definitely 4A-C/D, Hands on Equations, MM blue series as extra practice when needed

Language Arts: MCT Island, CAP Fable and Narrative 1, Dictation Day by Day, finish Mensa K-3 and start 4-6

History: OUP's The World in Ancient Times

Science: SCI level 3

As a family: Geography (Asia), 50 states/capitals, 

Here is our tentative plan:

French: The ULAT + Use French At Home
Literature Based Philosophy from Center for Philosophy for Children and Prindle Institute
Drawing: Blending New Augsburg with Bruce McIntyre's Cute Animals and Flowers and Trees
Writing: Reasoning and Writing E and writing across the curriculum
History: History Quest volume 1 + Library
Science: Home made by Hubby

• 3 weeks later...

I finalized our plans, just a few changes.

Math - Saxon Math 6/5

Writing - Writing With Ease 3

Spelling - Spelling Workout E & F

Vocabulary - Worldly Wise B & C; Book 1

Latin & Cursive - MP Prima Latina & MP New American Cursive w/ Prima Latina copybook

Science - Christian Kids Explore Chemistry

History - A Child's History of the World

Art - Home Art Studio

Music - Piano lessons 

Extras - Archery; Architecture; Woodworking; Chess
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 9:56 PM, Mona said:

My youngest child is going to be in 3rd grade this coming year. 

I’ve been struggling with putting a plan together and have been popping in here a few times to see if there is anything new and interesting I should take a look at 😊

Bible, History, Geography, Lit: I think history was the subject that was the hardest for me to decide on this year. I’ve ordered Biblioplan Ancients for the first time and I’m waiting for it to arrive. If this works for us then we’ll be able to cycle through it twice before he graduates. I have so many of the resources already on my shelves from homeschooling the older kids.

Math CLE 3

LA  LLATL yellow, I also have Cursive First if we need extra handwriting and I picked up Spelling Workout C (We added SWO B this year and it is easy for him, but it gives him confidence so we’ll keep going with it.)

Science  MB God’s Design for Life with extra supplements to keep things interesting

swim lessons in the summer, Piano lessons and Brazilian Jui-Jitsu year round

Art I don’t have anything really planned, but the history comes with a craft book that we may use

I’m all set to complete the above plan, but then MCTLA was calling me. My son is the perfect age to start at the beginning.  What do I do? LLATL doesn’t take long to complete, so do I do both. Do I set it aside and try MCT? Do we just stick to the plan? Any advice about either ELA curriculum is appreciated. 😂

I think I have a really good plan now. I should probably not post till May:)

On 1/15/2021 at 4:19 PM, countrymum said:

And books, random worksheets... 

Really we are doing 🙂

Math- Pilot testing 3rd grade math with confidence

Spelling/grammar  - SCM Spelling Wisdom and Using language Well

Writing-beginning written narrations in science and history and little science research project

Spanish-Song School spanish 2 with tag along siblings

History- SCM Genesis through Deuteronomy and Ancient Egypt

Geography- SCM Africa with added books and geography puzzle and game

Science- Sabboth Mood plants term 1, Answers in Genesis Animals term 2 with mini research project and extra books, mom made forest biomes term 3 

Weeky nature study with drawing

Drawing Textbook once or twice a week

Trying our hand at brush drawing sometime

Edited by countrymum

On 4/21/2021 at 1:26 PM, Classically Minded said:

Math - Saxon Math 6/5

Grammar - First Language Lessons 3 & 4

Writing - Writing With Ease 3 & Jump In writing

Spelling - Spelling Workout E & F

Vocabulary - Worldly Wise B & C; Book 1

Latin & Cursive - MP Prima Latina & MP New American Cursive w/ Prima Latina copybook

Science - Christian Kids Explore Chemistry

History - A Child's History of the World

Art - Home Art Studio

Music - Piano lessons 

Extras - Archery; Architecture; Woodworking; Chess

My son is zooming through grammar, so we may be in FLL 4 by the time fall rolls around and I've decided to do Jump In writing (1st edition) and just use WWE 3 for the stories and narration since my DS loves those.

Reading - Ds can read well enough - he has devoured all the Horrible Science and Math books in the house, but his read aloud skills could use some work. He is not crazy about Wise Owl Polysyllables. I may try having read a page or two of a 19th century reader, since they are a smaller format and it will look like less reading.

Writing - Copywork Writing is still rather an ordeal. He knows how to form letters, but just needs more practice.

Math - Math Mammoth seems to be working. The lessons are short and presentation is straight forward. It is difficult for him to sit for any length of time.

Grammar - Sentence Family at morning time

Spelling - Phonics Pathways worked for getting him to read, but doesn't work as well for spelling. We are giving AAS a go.

Science - BFSU Vol. 1

History - SOTW Vol. 2

Latin? - If we do SSL, it will just be the videos.

Music - A Folk Song a Week by Music in Our Homeschool. We will do this at morning time, and probably stretch it out to use it two years. Also, recorder, maybe piano if he shows interest. He will play around on the piano of his own volition, but says he is not interested in formal lessons.

Art - Not sure here. He has really turned a corner on drawing this year, but still is definitely not enthused about art projects. We've been using Art Lab for Little Kids because many of the projects were less intimidating for him. That strategy has seemed to work. Maybe we will use that some more next year, and gradually transition to arttango.com.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 4:24 PM, wendyroo said:

Kiddo #3 will be in 3rd next year.

Math - MM 6, Hands on Geometry, Hands on Equations, Zaccaro's Problem Solving Genius

Could you elaborate on the why/when of Math Mammoth plus those supplements? Doesn't MM introduce pictorial balance problems earlier than MM6? Also I've seen a lot of people aren't fans of MM Geometry sections; do you substitute for the Hands on Geometry book? 

16 minutes ago, Foofaraw said:

Could you elaborate on the why/when of Math Mammoth plus those supplements? Doesn't MM introduce pictorial balance problems earlier than MM6? Also I've seen a lot of people aren't fans of MM Geometry sections; do you substitute for the Hands on Geometry book? 

We always run two (or more) math programs concurrently. My kids are used to doing Math Mammoth as "math" daily, and something as "problem solving" about 3 times a week. I use the problem solving time to go deeper or wider, to gently introduce a future concept, to offer more of a challenge, to explicitly teach strategies, etc.

Pictorial balance equations are introduced in MM 5a...but not in depth. After they go through that section, I have my kids use their problem solving time to go through the Hands on Equations apps - first the one with only positive numbers to further practice balance equations, and then the negative number one as they are ready to further practice equations and negative operations.

My 7 year old is part way through that right now. He has made it through a couple levels of Balance Benders (pictorial balance equations with shapes instead of numbers or variables). He is now working in MM 5b and has finished the positive number Hands on Equations app. During his problem solving time now, I am having him go back through Dragonbox Algebra 12+ to see if he can recognize the same equation solving strategies under the gamification (he has completed it in the past, but just as a pattern matching game). I'm also having him do some negative number practice...I have taught the concept over the years, so he understands them fully, but now I want him to have a lot of practice with simple arithmetic with negatives before we tackle them in the next Hands on Equations app.

So, sometime near the beginning of DS's third grade year, he will move into MM 6. He will also finish up all the Hands on Equations apps. At that point, I will probably have him go through Hands on Geometry. I'm not a huge fan of MM geometry, and we skip some sections, but mostly I have my kids go through Hands on Geometry because it looks at geometry from such a different point of view and really stretches their direction following and precise fine motor skills.

After he finishes Hands on Geometry (it only has 43 lessons, and some are very short, so working 3 times a week, it only takes a few months), then he might be ready for the Hands on Equations word problem book. In my opinion, that is the heart of the program. But, figuring out how to translate the word problems into equations is quite a challenge. Plus, it is the first time my kids transition to working problems out of a book instead of working in a workbook. And, though it isn't explicitly taught, many of the problems require solving systems of equations with substitution or combination which the kids "discover" as they play around with the manipulatives. My oldest son transitioned from using manipulatives to using written equations over the course of the book, but my second son did not take to equations as easily, and he went through it once with manipulatives and then entirely again with written equations. I don't know which path my younger children will take - I will play that by ear as I gauge their understanding.

That could easily take DS through his third grade year, but if he is ready for the next step, then I will probably have him work through Zaccaro's Problem Solving Genius. I really like how it explicitly teaches problem solving strategies...I use it as one facet of pre-algebra.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The plan so far:

Language Arts: Combination TGTB Level 3 and First Language Lessons 3

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric Fable and Evan Moor 6 traits of writing

Math: Singapore Math Dimensions 3 (and possibly Beast Academy Online)

Science: Core Knowledge Science 3rd Grade

History: Core Knowledge History 3rd Grade

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I've got planned for my youngest:

LA - Easy Grammar, R&S Spelling, oral and written narrations

Math - TT 3 (just the book with me teaching)

Science - interest-led (she reads books and keeps a science notebook of drawings and narrations; currently she is very interested in zoology)

History - finish R&S text about Middle Ages, then begin SOTW 3, and keep a timeline

Geography - one or two Canada Map Books

Extras - art from various sources (probably let her pick mostly), Scripture memory, piano lessons and hymn singing

• Like 1

I think we are finally set. I don't know though, I keep second guessing my choices.

LA- First Language Lessons Level 3, Writing with Ease level 2, Harcourt Spelling Skills grade 3, TGTB Handwriting

Math- Teaching Textbooks level 3

Science- Elemental Science Biology for the Grammar Stage

History- Story of the World Volume 2

Geography- DK Geography 3, along with mapping in SOTW

Reading- Alternating between assigned reading and his choices.

Art- TGTB Drawing 100 Fun and Easy Trees along with SCM nature notebook, Creative Line Design book 1, weekly picture study and drawing, and then fun arts and craft subscription TBD.

• 4 weeks later...

This is my mathy/science-y kid, outdoorsy kid with major interests in herpetology and zoology and veterinary medicine. He has ADHD and some vision issues, and was very good at fooling the teacher into thinking he understood things he didn't. He hated PS and begged me to not have to go but then complained so relentlessly about having to do school at all as soon as we started at home again that I finally gave in and scaled way back, just asking that he do math, some oral grammar with FLL and MCT, freewrite fridays with me scribing, and that he listen to lots of books (went very CM in book choices from Ambleside and CMEC and had him narrate most of them), and read a book of his choice a designated amount of time daily, and over the course of the year, he became more and more cooperative and enthusiastic.

My plans changed A LOT over the course of the summer and still may change further but right now, I'm planning:

Writing:  Treasured Conversations and WWE.

Grammar: R&S 3 and FLL. I actually have Beowulf Grammar that I intended to start last year but never did so I'm not sure if that will ever get used at this point.

We will finish MCT Island, which we started last year, if we feel like it.

Lit: ELTL Level C Mosdos Press Opal and (partially combined with his older brother) literature from the history booklists (BYL 3/5/OF). He'll be doing an advanced reader children's book club with the Bookish Society.

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo

Handwriting: The Good and The Beautiful if I can handle the religiosity. Otherwise its back to Getty-Dubay.

Math: Leaning toward Singapore Primary 2022 Grade 3 or potentially Dimensions. He often supplements with BA.

Science (partially combined): Science Mom Biology + tagging along on a few experiments with his big brother + some interest led units

American History (combined): Tagging along with his big brother on US History via blending BYL 3, BYL 5, and Oh! Freedom.

Ancient History (T/TH, not every week) : The boys were in PS for a few years and neither has done Ancients so we're doing a slower SOTW run through in the form of civilization-units because they have a lot of interest and I wanted my 6th grader to have some general exposure prior to a HS world history cycling.

"Social Studies": We do what I call a "social studies" or "social justice" block which just covers relevant social issues and I piece it together using multiple sources. I pull from multiple sources and often use Fishtank Learning units. I have some of this year's units planned including a unit about women's rights around the world -- particularly in the area that we're from, immigration, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. We've just finished a family reading of "Stamped" (I read the adult one, 6th grader read the middle-grade one, and 3rd grader read "Stamped for Kids" and we listened to the audiobook reading of the middle-grade one).

Foreign Language (combined): I Speak Latin from Quidnam Press + Minimus I am working on getting someone to do in-person tutoring for Arabic and/or French but have not been successful yet.

Typing: typing.com

Health: my own mix of inclusive, secular books

Music/Art: SQUILT, guitar with the Loog app, and I haven't figured out something for art yet leaning toward Glitterbomb. We use a book from BYL for art history.

Electives: Intro to Veterinary Science (Outschool), possibly Legends of Druidawn class (Outschool) or a coding "create your own video game" class, and Zoology/Herpetology 101.

He also does gymnastics 1x week and will likely start martial arts with his brother.

Edited by Shahrazad

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2021 at 1:01 PM, Classically Minded said:

Writing - Writing With Ease 3 - I may switch writing curriculum altogether

Spelling - Spelling Workout E, F and G

Science - Chemistry - thinking of using Focus On Chemistry (previously known as RS4K)

History - ??  Don't know

Art - Home Art Studio

Music - Piano lessons

Did you stay with Focus on Chemistry?

On 7/22/2021 at 5:35 PM, Shahrazad said:

This is my mathy/science-y kid, outdoorsy kid with major interests in herpetology and zoology and veterinary medicine. He has ADHD and some vision issues, and was very good at fooling the teacher into thinking he understood things he didn't. He hated PS and begged me to not have to go but then complained so relentlessly about having to do school at all as soon as we started at home again that I finally gave in and scaled way back, just asking that he do math, some oral grammar with FLL and MCT, freewrite fridays with me scribing, and that he listen to lots of books (went very CM in book choices from Ambleside and CMEC and had him narrate most of them), and read a book of his choice a designated amount of time daily, and over the course of the year, he became more and more cooperative and enthusiastic.

My plans changed A LOT over the course of the summer and still may change further but right now, I'm planning:

Writing:  Treasured Conversations and WWE.

Grammar: R&S 3 and FLL. I actually have Beowulf Grammar that I intended to start last year but never did so I'm not sure if that will ever get used at this point.

We will finish MCT Island, which we started last year, if we feel like it.

Lit: ELTL Level C Mosdos Press Opal and (partially combined with his older brother) literature from the history booklists (BYL 3/5/OF). He'll be doing an advanced reader children's book club with the Bookish Society.

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo

Handwriting: The Good and The Beautiful if I can handle the religiosity. Otherwise its back to Getty-Dubay.

Math: Leaning toward Singapore Primary 2022 Grade 3 or potentially Dimensions. He often supplements with BA.

Science (partially combined): Science Mom Biology + tagging along on a few experiments with his big brother + some interest led units

American History (combined): Tagging along with his big brother on US History via blending BYL 3, BYL 5, and Oh! Freedom.

Ancient History (T/TH, not every week) : The boys were in PS for a few years and neither has done Ancients so we're doing a slower SOTW run through in the form of civilization-units because they have a lot of interest and I wanted my 6th grader to have some general exposure prior to a HS world history cycling.

"Social Studies": We do what I call a "social studies" or "social justice" block which just covers relevant social issues and I piece it together using multiple sources. I pull from multiple sources and often use Fishtank Learning units. I have some of this year's units planned including a unit about women's rights around the world -- particularly in the area that we're from, immigration, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. We've just finished a family reading of "Stamped" (I read the adult one, 6th grader read the middle-grade one, and 3rd grader read "Stamped for Kids" and we listened to the audiobook reading of the middle-grade one).

Foreign Language (combined): I Speak Latin from Quidnam Press + Minimus I am working on getting someone to do in-person tutoring for Arabic and/or French but have not been successful yet.

Typing: typing.com

Health: my own mix of inclusive, secular books

Music/Art: SQUILT, guitar with the Loog app, and I haven't figured out something for art yet leaning toward Glitterbomb. We use a book from BYL for art history.

Electives: Intro to Veterinary Science (Outschool), possibly Legends of Druidawn class (Outschool) or a coding "create your own video game" class, and Zoology/Herpetology 101.

He also does gymnastics 1x week and will likely start martial arts with his brother.

Do you like Primary 2022 better than the original Singapore Math series?