Menu

Share an easy soup recipe, please

Spryte

Bonus if it can be dairy free and made in a slow cooker, but any soup is fine.

My go-to “soup” is a variation of taco soup.  Chicken tenderloins, salsa, water, rotel, black beans, corn, taco seasoning.   All dumped in a crockpot and left alone. Later, I shred the chicken and serve.  I think people who don’t have dairy allergies throw in a block of cream cheese to melt before serving.  Sometimes DS drains the liquid and actually makes tacos.

• Like 3

I made this yesterday. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a25240121/instant-pot-lentil-soup/   It was delicious and even better on day two.  I followed the recipe loosely. Instead of carrots I had leftover sweet potato that I pureed and added at the end. I also added zucchini and mushrooms. I did not put Parmesan in it. Mine was soupier than the picture but that is cause I didn't measure out the broth.  You could do this in the crockpot no problem.  Just look up how long it takes to cook lentils in it and you should be good.

• Like 2

99% of the time I start with the same base -  carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Whatever veggies need to be used up - potatoes, mushrooms, cabbage, etc. Then I add variations of lentils, quinoa, pasta, beans, chicken - whatever I want for protein bc I like  to have it as a 'whole" meal. For spices I started using Za'atar. Sometimes I add tomato sauce, sometimes not.

I do make meatball soup and chicken and rice and Greek lemon chicken  - but those are more involved.

Last week I made tomato soup from fresh tomatoes - everyone loved it. I hope they remember the taste bc it took foooorrreeever to make it.

• Like 2

Water.

Cooked meat leftovers, or raw meat. Any kind, finely chopped.

Better than bullion proportional to the water. Any flavour, preferably coordinated with the meat.

Your choice of rice (cooked or uncooked) -and/or- cooked barley -and/or- noodles.

Frozen veggies. Any kind.

2 bay leaves.

1 packet of unflavoured gelatin.

(Boil it for a while, until everything is soft)

1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1-2 Tbsp of cold water. Simmer for 1-2 min.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 2

Beef Vegetable Soup

1 lb. ground beef or 1 lb. steak, cooked through

1 box beef stock

1 can whole tomatoes with juice, tomatoes cut up

1 can diced tomatoes

1 bag frozen mixed vegetables, cooked

In a large pan, heat all ingredients until bubbling.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

If using steak, season with Montreal Steak seasoning while cooking. 

• Like 1

I've posted this recently, but here it is again. It's a vegan black bean soup--I always puree it with an immersion blender at the end. Super healthy--14 gm protein and 18 gm fiber I think in a me-sized portion. I'm going to get it going on Halloween morning to balance out the less-healthy pigs in blankets.

https://www.emilieeats.com/vegan-slow-cooker-black-bean-soup/?r_done=1

• Like 3

Simplified Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Corn Soup

1 box chicken stock

1 c. rotisserie chicken (or other cooked chicken), cut up

1 can creamed corn

1 bag frozen corn, cooked and buttered* (the butter is the secret ingredient)

1 can carrots, drained

several hard-boiled eggs, sliced

In a large pan, heat all ingredients until bubbling.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

• Like 1

My grandmother made what she called "Ham Bone Soup." She just used a literal ham bone, covered it in water, added a chopped onion and a can of tomatoes, maybe some tomato sauce, and cooked it until the onion was soft. Then she added about half a cup of rice and cooked it some more.

I rarely have a ham bone 🙂 so I use smoked ham hocks, covered in water, cooked with the onion and tomatoes/tomato sauce until the meat is falling off the ham hocks, then add rice and cook.

Not fancy, but it is tasty.

ETA: Celery seed. There must be celery seed. Not celery, just the seed. Why? IDK. Because Grandmother always did it that way. 🙂

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I've posted this recently, but here it is again. It's a vegan black bean soup--I always puree it with an immersion blender at the end. Super healthy--14 gm protein and 18 gm fiber I think in a me-sized portion. I'm going to get it going on Halloween morning to balance out the less-healthy pigs in blankets.

I've made that at least three times since you first posted it a few weeks ago. DH and I love it! I had a bowl for lunch today, and have about five pints of it in the freezer. Thank you!

• Like 2

I've been making variations of this one recently, now that my husband has decided he likes it, too. (It used to be something I just made for myself when the rest of the family was eating pasta.)

• 2 large sweet onions, diced
  • 2 russets or an equivalent quantity of other, smaller potatoes
  • Carrots and/or celery and/or any other vegetables that strike your fancy
  • Cooked chickpeas and/or dried lentils and/or another comparable legume 
  • 1 jar of pasta sauce
  • Olive oil
  • Italian seasoning blend (or your own preferred combination)
  • Salt to taste
  1. Chop all of the vegetables into appropriate sizes so that they will cook at the same time.
  2. Saute the onions in the olive oil until they are starting to brown.
  3. Toss the other veggies into the pot and stir for a few minutes, until they pick up a little color.
  4. Add the pasta sauce, seasonings and enough water to cover the veggies.
  5. Add your bean(s) of choice.
  6. Bring to a boil, then lower the temp and simmer until everything is done. 
  7. Taste along the way, adding salt or other seasonings as necessary.

I made it the other night with some cute little purple potatoes we got at the farmers' market, plus carrots, celery and a couple of handfuls of dried brown lentils. Roughly the quantities I gave above--along with a couple of loaves of cornbread--made enough for the two of us to eat a very hearty dinner, with second bowls for both, plus two lunch-sized servings for each of us.

• Like 1

1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken

1 can Campbell's Chicken with Rice

1 can of liquid.  It can be water or skim milk, and be really good, but the best I have had was when I used whey from making butter or from concentrating yogurt for at least part of it.  

Stupid good.  I love to eat this with soda crackers and sharp cheddar cheese.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

I love this recipe! Adding mashed avocado and crunched up nachos chips after the soup is blended makes it spectacular!!

Thanks for posting it again for those who missed it the first time. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I love this recipe! Adding mashed avocado and crunched up nachos chips after the soup is blended makes it spectacular!!

Thanks for posting it again for those who missed it the first time. 

Do you add this to the whole batch or just each serving as it is being served?

Hearty Vegetable Soup

Water, whatever I’ve got to use up - veggies - leftovers that seem like they’d go, maybe a soup bone, maybe some chicken broth and or meat

salt and whatever seasoning seems good in it.  

Maybe lentils or something like that to add protein and bulk especially if there’s no meat. 

It can range from delicious to okay - only once ever a disaster when I tried to thicken with kudzu.  Learn from my mistake:  Do not add kudzu. 

IP works well for this. 

• Like 2

Onion carrot celery and garlic and whatever else needs using aside from cauliflower, broccoli and stuff like that.  Fried with some mixed herbs.  Add, stock, tinned tomatoes or pasta sauce.  Then either pearl barley (early) or risoni or soup pasta in the last 20 -30 minutes.  If you happen to have some cooked chicken shred it and add that as well for a meaty version.

My other really really lazy soup is a carton or two of preprepared stock, a couple of cans of tinned corn and a shredded bbq or roast chicken.  Maybe not too healthy but everyone is the family loves it so much, especially with buttered toast for dipping. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Do you add this to the whole batch or just each serving as it is being served?

To each individual serving - who ever wants it. Despite my raves about how good the avocado (with salt and lime juice) and nacho chips were in the soup, I was the only one who added these to the soup. The other family members just ate the soup. 😉

• Like 2

Some of us think we're still cooking for a small army, leftovers will be plentiful.

Tonight my girls made chicken soup with leftover chicken thighs and legs from Monday night's crock pot dinner. About a half a package of egg noodles was used, one regular sized (not 32 oz) chicken broth, 2 cups water, 2 or 3 sliced carrots, quarter cup of peas. Pretty quick (30 minutes), very easy.

• Like 2

I'm throwing a super easy veggie soup in the crock pot this morning that we'll have for lunch --

• Bag of frozen veggies for soup
  • diced onion
  • large can of tomatoes
  • can of kidney beans (drained or undrained--your choice)
  • Two cans of spicy V8 juice
  • Better than Bouillon (I eyeball the amount and adjust later if needed)
  • Seasonings--I use pepper, smoked paprika, parsley, a little thyme, and a few shakes of dried red peppers. Use whatever sounds good to you
  • A few spoonfuls of olive oil
  • About thirty minutes before lunch time I stir in a bag of shredded cabbage
  • When done I add a couple of spoonfuls of lemon juice and salt if necessary (depends on how much Better than Bouillon is used and whether tomatoes were salted or not)

This makes a large amount, so we usually have lots of leftovers or freeze some in individual portion sized containers.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 3