Menu

. . .

Drama Llama

in your situation, I'd get together outdoors, with some distance but not across the yard distance, with family, even the exposed family. 

And let the kids play outdoors, even without masks, if keeping some distance, not in each others faces. 

And attend the outdoor mass, if you are comfortable with the precautions regarding communion (priest is masked when consecrating it, etc)

I'd avoid indoor mass, and indoor meals with family that are high exposure. If your kids are not old enough to play with other kids without being face to face, I'd require masks (think roughousing) but if just riding bikes, I would not. 

I'm so sorry you are in this situation, and that these decisions are making a hard time harder. I will keep you all in my prayers, and if you ever want to talk about anything or everything or nothing, you can PM me anytime. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Can you tell me more about this?  How safe is it with impulsive or younger kids around?  How much work?  Do you think it would heat things well enough for the 90 year (he's a pretty tough 90 year old) to eat or socialize outside when it's around freezing?

Their are a lot of options.  Tapletop, standing and mounted.  Our friends have a mounted one similar to this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00667DVB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_d36GFbXK40G1S. It works amazingly well and is out of reach of kids.  Our winters are fairly mild but we are able to hangout all year with that and a blanket or sweatshirt.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Their are a lot of options.  Tapletop, standing and mounted.  Our friends have a mounted one similar to this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00667DVB6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_d36GFbXK40G1S. It works amazingly well and is out of reach of kids.  Our winters are fairly mild but we are able to hangout all year with that and a blanket or sweatshirt.

Thank you!

I don't think we have a place where we could do mounted.   Are the standing one safe for kids?  

OP, I can't recall your stance on video games or if you have a gaming system. If you don't, getting something like the Nintendo Switch with the exercise games could be an exciting distraction that helps his need to be active. Plus gives a fun activity that anyone in the family can join.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, katilac said:

OP, I can't recall your stance on video games or if you have a gaming system. If you don't, getting something like the Nintendo Switch with the exercise games could be an exciting distraction that helps his need to be active. Plus gives a fun activity that anyone in the family can join.  

That's a good idea. We have a switch, and no concerns about video games, but I don't think we have any exercise games.  That might make a good gift.  Any suggestions on which one?  

I think we're doing OK for exercise for him.  He takes an online tae kwon do class, as part of homeschool, and we're going to restart that tomorrow (our thought is to build back up to homeschool a subject at a time, and this seemed like the one to start with), and between playing with the neighbors and things like soccer and basketball with the cousins and bike rides with his uncles, he's moving for 3 - 4 hours a day.  

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

A new study from Australia today is showing much longer surface survival times so I think maybe ignore my playground suggestion 😞 

We decided today that for the most part they're staying on the properties. They'll go to church, and we haven't done things like check ups and dentist visits so we'll do that, and we'll still let them play at the one neighbor's house, but we've got a big enough yard for soccer or spike ball, a driveway for street or roller hockey, a basketball hoop and a good climbing tree.  

Really what they need is people, not location.  So, we'll let them have friends over here where we can supervise for a while.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

That's a good idea. We have a switch, and no concerns about video games, but I don't think we have any exercise games.  That might make a good gift.  Any suggestions on which one?  

I think we're doing OK for exercise for him.  He takes an online tae kwon do class, as part of homeschool, and we're going to restart that tomorrow (our thought is to build back up to homeschool a subject at a time, and this seemed like the one to start with), and between playing with the neighbors and things like soccer and basketball with the cousins and bike rides with his uncles, he's moving for 3 - 4 hours a day.  

Ringfit Adventure is definitely the most popular - very gamified and supposed to offer a pretty decent workout. It's definitely what I would start with. 

1-2 Switch is not really exercise but it is both active and interactive (with other people); if he likes being a little silly or goofy sometimes, I think it would be another good game to have. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

We decided today that for the most part they're staying on the properties. They'll go to church, and we haven't done things like check ups and dentist visits so we'll do that, and we'll still let them play at the one neighbor's house, but we've got a big enough yard for soccer or spike ball, a driveway for street or roller hockey, a basketball hoop and a good climbing tree.  

Really what they need is people, not location.  So, we'll let them have friends over here where we can supervise for a while.  

That sounds like a good plan.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Can you tell me more about this?  How safe is it with impulsive or younger kids around?  How much work?  Do you think it would heat things well enough for the 90 year (he's a pretty tough 90 year old) to eat or socialize outside when it's around freezing?

Probably not especially safe with young impulsive kids - it does have a cage over the flame, but it would be very easy for a child to burn themselves on it, I think.  Ours is the kind meant for construction sites.  It puts out really good heat.  Not much work at all - screws onto propane tank.  Lights with a match.

The fancy patio heaters would be safer I think - they stand tall on a post, out of reach of kids.  They are more expensive, and I don't think as efficient.

• Thanks 1

To the best of my understanding the virus goes out the mouth in the eyes and ears. So while you need to wear a mask to prevent possible spread the real concern for safety is that anyone around you is wearing a mask.

We go to religious services but don't touch anyone. My kids play with other kids outside of the church with masks in my husband's line of sight (I'm still healing fron C/S at home).

We absolutely do the walking, bike riding thing. Swimming, too.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wathe said:

Probably not especially safe with young impulsive kids - it does have a cage over the flame, but it would be very easy for a child to burn themselves on it, I think.  Ours is the kind meant for construction sites.  It puts out really good heat.  Not much work at all - screws onto propane tank.  Lights with a match.

The fancy patio heaters would be safer I think - they stand tall on a post, out of reach of kids.  They are more expensive, and I don't think as efficient.

Does anyone have the fancy type?  Pop loves to sit outside and watch the kids play, so having something to keep him warm would be fantastic, and to let my BIL sit with him.  But I am having visions of a flying soccer ball knocking something over, or a game of tag getting out of control.  

I don't think we can do the mounted ones, unless we built something with to mount it on.  If we put it where it would logically go on the house, it would warm the wheelchair ramp, not the patio, I think.

5 hours ago, Slache said:

To the best of my understanding the virus goes out the mouth in the eyes and ears. So while you need to wear a mask to prevent possible spread the real concern for safety is that anyone around you is wearing a mask.

We go to religious services but don't touch anyone. My kids play with other kids outside of the church with masks in my husband's line of sight (I'm still healing fron C/S at home).

We absolutely do the walking, bike riding thing. Swimming, too.

Swimming indoors or out?

I'm sorry the C/S has been so rough.  Send me some baby pictures!

3 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Does anyone have the fancy type?  Pop loves to sit outside and watch the kids play, so having something to keep him warm would be fantastic, and to let my BIL sit with him.  But I am having visions of a flying soccer ball knocking something over, or a game of tag getting out of control.  

I don't think we can do the mounted ones, unless we built something with to mount it on.  If we put it where it would logically go on the house, it would warm the wheelchair ramp, not the patio, I think.

They are pretty sturdy.   The neighbor lost one during a nasty sudden storm with 60mph winds.  It fell over and bent.  I would use one around the ages of your kids.  They usually go on sale around Thanksgiving.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

They are pretty sturdy.   The neighbor lost one during a nasty sudden storm with 60mph winds.  It fell over and bent.  I would use one around the ages of your kids.  They usually go on sale around Thanksgiving.  

Aren't they on wheels?  Like I could put it in the garage in a storm?

(((HUGS)))

I haven't read the replies.  

We are occasionally in limited careful contact with family and friends who are extremely at risk and are very much in need of human contact.  They have chosen outdoor get togethers with everyone involved knowing how much distance to maintain.  One family with children and I have met in a parking lot where we, the moms, and sit and chat and the children ride scooters and roller skate.  No one wears masks, however, we do keep a comfortable distance.  

I also have learned to play a mean zoom Scattergories game!  

Obviously, I would never suggest going outside of a safe comfort zone, but I do believe mental health outweighs possible risks.  If everyone involved had had almost zero contact from others, outside of absolutely necessary masked grocery trips, then I would feel comfortable having a limited get together with another family to preserve my mental health.  Mask if needed, but human contact is needed, especially with what you are dealing with.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
clarification
  • Thanks 1