Menu

$4k family vacation - what would you do?

We received an inheritance earlier this year and have budgeted $4k for a family vacation. I need ideas for where to go and what to do. We are a family of 4 including DD12 and DD9.

We live in East Tennessee and past vacations have included:

Walt Disney World

beach on Florida panhandle

Chicago

Sacramento/San Francisco

northeast area north of Boston

driving tour of midwest (St. Louis arch, badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, and Yellowstone N.P.)

local trips to Nashville, Chattanooga, Smokey Mtns

I'm looking forward to seeing your suggestions!

Pegasus

When you did San Francisco, was it mostly a city visit or did you get to explore the terrain a bit? If you haven't done Yosemite and/or other natural attractions in California, I'd strongly consider that.

The Grand Canyon would be a memorable visit to a new part of the country.

Or, you can come see us down in New Orleans!

edited to add that your kids are at a great age to do DC, Philly or New York! fun AND history in all 3 places.

When do you want to go?

I really would love to take my dc to Maui; dh and I went a few years ago and it was fantastic; warm, beautiful, beaches, safe, USA (no passport needed!).

I would really like to go back to VanCouver and Victoria, BC, with the dc as well. It was clean, safe, fun, interesting, lots to do and see, not in the USA (so you will need a passport now or soon, anyway).

Went to the Riviera Maya w/dc a couple years ago - was very fun and relaxing; Chichen Itza was goose-bump cool! I would suggest staying at at least a 4 star, all-inclusive resort. We did get sick toward the end, though :D. Worth it? Yeah, the dc even recently asked when we were going back. Also need a passport these days.

Good luck, what a fun decision!

When you did San Francisco, was it mostly a city visit or did you get to explore the terrain a bit? If you haven't done Yosemite and/or other natural attractions in California, I'd strongly consider that.

The Grand Canyon would be a memorable visit to a new part of the country.

Or, you can come see us down in New Orleans!

edited to add that your kids are at a great age to do DC, Philly or New York! fun AND history in all 3 places.

We mostly visited family while in Sacramento but did take the time to do a city visit to San Francisco and spent a couple days in Yosemite. Oh my, I nearly keeled over carrying a toddler up one of those trails!

I took a business trip to New Orleans once, years ago. I very much enjoyed myself.

Thanks for the suggestions. Grand Canyon would be great and I've been thinking about DC. Decision, decisions!

When do you want to go?

I really would love to take my dc to Maui; dh and I went a few years ago and it was fantastic; warm, beautiful, beaches, safe, USA (no passport needed!).

I would really like to go back to VanCouver and Victoria, BC, with the dc as well. It was clean, safe, fun, interesting, lots to do and see, not in the USA (so you will need a passport now or soon, anyway).

Went to the Riviera Maya w/dc a couple years ago - was very fun and relaxing; Chichen Itza was goose-bump cool! I would suggest staying at at least a 4 star, all-inclusive resort. We did get sick toward the end, though :D. Worth it? Yeah, the dc even recently asked when we were going back. Also need a passport these days.

Good luck, what a fun decision!

I've never priced Hawaii but I assumed that $4k wouldn't be enough. Maybe I'm wrong. :confused:

I'll look into your other suggestions as well. DH and I have valid passports but I think the children's have expired. Shouldn't be a problem as long as I plan far enough in advance! I don't really have a timeframe in mind yet. We're still in the dreaming stage. :001_smile:

Pegasus

I've never priced Hawaii but I assumed that $4k wouldn't be enough. Maybe I'm wrong. :confused:

I'll look into your other suggestions as well. DH and I have valid passports but I think the children's have expired. Shouldn't be a problem as long as I plan far enough in advance! I don't really have a timeframe in mind yet. We're still in the dreaming stage. :001_smile:

Pegasus

If you look around, you can get a family of 4 to Hawaii for under $4K for a week. You'd be looking at only about a week, though. Food is the biggest expense, after lodging. Check w/a travel agent for this and compare it to what is online...for sure.

And I know Mexico is really inexpensive for all-inclusive stuff. Check with Funjet or Apple Vacations...again, call them as well because sometimes they can save you oodles of $ more than what is available online.

You could have a wonderful time at Walt Disney World with $4000!! There are some good deals coming up next year, where you stay a few nights and get a few nights free. We went a few years ago, and stayed for 6 nights on site at a moderate resort, and we had the time of our lives. We have three kids, and it cost as about $3000. With $4000, and getting in on one of those deals I mentioned, you could probably stay at one of the really nice resorts onsite, which would be even better!

If we ever have a sum of money to use for vacation, we will be going back to Disney without a second thought!! It was the best vacation ever.

ETA: Oops, I missed the part where you said that you've already been there. LOL Oh well, if it were us, we'd go again! ;)

Erica

If you do the Big Island of Hawai'i and stay at one of these places http://www.vrbo.com/ You can get a deal. Car and plane tickets are the most expensive but with a condo or house you can just buy normal groceries and eat at "home." We really liked the plate lunches in Hawai'i because we could share one or two and have more than enough food. The beach in Hawai'i is free and so are a lot of the historical sites. If you want to do luau or adventures then you will have to pay out money.

We like Destin and Disney World too.

I'm hoping that the VRBO link will save you some money if you decide to go to a specfic destination. Hope you have a great time wherever you go.:001_smile:

I'd go to Europe, too. London or Paris would be my first choice. Lots of history, culture, and adventure.

If you travel off season--not summer-- you can find decent air fare. Get a Rick Steves guide for whatever city or country interests you for suggestions on lodging that won't break the bank. Eat local...RS has suggestions on that as well.

i second the vbro hawaii option. we got an amazing house last year on the beach in kauai through them. paradise!! and when you have a kitchen to do some of the cooking, it really helps. we essentially got off the plane, and drove straight to costco for supplies.

lisa

I've only been twice and I'm really hoping for something like that with my kids late next year. Maybe I can hijack this a little and ask the hive about the costs of that type trip, and where to go??

Stacey,

We ski in Colorado - Winter Park is where we've been most recently. But we've also been to Vail, Steamboat Springs, Breckenridge, Crested Butte, Purgatory, as well as Park Cities in Utah, Jackson Hole in Wyoming and Whistler in B.C.

You can expect to pay $200 on up per night for a 2 bedroom condo, $20 per day for equipment rentals, and $60-80 per day for lift tickets.

The lodging is the big question mark. If you want to stay in a luxury ski-in, ski-out place then you will pay dearly. And it is really nice to just walk outside and ski, not having to lug your skis all over the place. But if you plan really well, you can get a good condo on the shuttle route (most resorts have them) and it's not much walking. Be careful of a "short walk to the slopes" because there is no short walk when you are carrying, skis, poles, and boots while wearing your heavy winter gear and helping your kids carry their stuff, too. Or you can stay out, away from the resort and the shuttle and really save, but then you have to drive to the resort and find parking every day which can be difficult.

Your dates will affect the price you pay. If you avoid Christmas holidays, President's weekend, MLK weekend, and spring break (all of March) you will do better on the lodging.

I have a friend who is a wholesaler in the industry, and he says that it looks like prices will be dropping for the 2009/10 season, so you may do better next year.

Hope this helps!

Is $4K really enough to go to Europe? My sister has a friend in London and she said all the plane tickets she had been looking at were $1000.

Yes, it really is. I've been looking for tickets to London and right now they are averaging $450 per person from Atlanta. Of course, it would be a bit more for them since they are flying out of a smaller airport. But, if you travel a bit off season and buy a Rick Steves guide you can actually do it. We were going to go skiing this winter, but this is actually cheaper.

We're academic, history and theatre geeks. So, either an all-out Broadway trip--with tickets for every day--or a history-centric outing--with a side trip to the West End with theatre tickets for at least a couple of shows would probably be our dream vacation here.

Edited to add: And I just checked. You can fly from Florida to London for $475 per person.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I would probably do NYC, Europe, or a fabulous beach vacation.

We've stayed here previously:

Casa del Secreto. Private house, private pool, private beach, private chef, beautiful yard with hammocks strung from teh coconut trees. Easy to get to from Cancun without having to be in Cancun with all the partiers. Playa del Carmen, Xel Ha, and ruins are all nearby.

Edited by Amy loves Bud

Is $4K really enough to go to Europe? My sister has a friend in London and she said all the plane tickets she had been looking at were $1000.

If you go when everyone else wants to go, then it is expensive. Avoid holidays and school breaks for the best deals. We go to Belgium in February a lot and generally pay 350-400 dollars for a round trip ticket. We live near a big airport, so that helps.

Gosh, y'all have me jonesing for a European fix. Going to look up flights.....