Menu

Figuring out hotel rooms

Ottakee

Our family will be traveling in state and staying at a hotel for a few days.  We know the risks, are taking precautions, etc.  

My question though is figuring out who to out where in the rooms.

I have 

A.....me, the mom who would LOVE a room ( or side of a suite) to herself

B.....ds 32

C....dd 24 and her 21 year old female friend

D....23dd and her husband who broke his leg and will have a wheelchair and walker....so ground floor, handicapped room would be ideal

Room options we have are:

1...1 K bed

2....1 K bed handicapped room

3....suite with 2 Q on one side and 1 Q and pull out on the other.....two bathrooms, basically like adjoining rooms so ability to close and lock door between sides.

Legally we can totally fit all 6 of us in one suites....it would be tight though and no privacy/alone space.

All of my kids, the spouse and friend are mildly cognitively impaired.  Totally fine in rooms of their own though.

I am trying to balance mom's sanity of taking 5 individuals with special needs on vacation vs. cost savings of fewer rooms.

All room types are the same cost...but only one suite available.

I just selfish and really would like my own room as I go to bed earlier, get up earlier, want space to read, do my yoga, etc.

Can you find an AirBnB?  3 or 4 bedroom house?

Is it a larger city?  Could you rent a timeshare off of Tugbb.com?  We are in one right now in Hilton Head.  2 bedroom for 7 nights, for $600.  No added taxes or fees.

• Like 6

I would agree with AirBnB in most situations, but she said SIL broke a leg and is in a wheelchair.  I think most house rentals are not going to be set up for that as well as a hotel.  I would go with rooms 2 and 3 if you can afford it.  As you said, it is your vacation and you are taking on a lot as tour director.  You need your sleep!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

I would agree with AirBnB in most situations, but she said SIL broke a leg and is in a wheelchair.  I think most house rentals are not going to be set up for that as well as a hotel.  I would go with rooms 2 and 3 if you can afford it.  As you said, it is your vacation and you are taking on a lot as tour director.  You need your sleep!

I would still look at timeshare condo rentals.  They would be able to provide wheelchair accessibility. 

We rarely do hotel rooms anymore.  We like our space.

• Like 1

Once again you are a ROCK STAR for doing this in the first place.

I'm a YUGE fan of condos/apartments etc (well, used to be, back in the Beforetimes) but with everything else you're managing on your own I can see the simplicity of a hotel as being a relief.

If you're set on this hotel, and the suite is the same price as the others, I think I'd split the difference -- pick the suite and one other room, perhaps the handicapped K for your married daughter and spouse with wheelchair... and put yourself in the "better" side of the suite, whatever that turns out to be, with room for yoga; and the others on the other side.

Have a wonderful trip.

• Like 1

If the suite can fit all of you including wheelchair person, get it and take the single Q room for your self alone, ask if they can add a cot(s) or similar as needed in the other room for the rest of sleepers.  If that’s not enough, give yourself a private room while they share suite. (Or if suite is impossible for broken leg person, then handicap room for him, and you get the private room of suite. )   Anyway, prioritize your self for private separate room or own room In Suite. 

Suite for then 5 adult children and a private room for yourself. 

That would mean several have to share beds and bedrooms.  Are the married couple ok sharing a room with the sister and her friend? Is the daughter ok sharing a bed with her friend? Son would then sleep on the  sleeper sofa.

There  are other configurations that would work, but it depends on who is comfortable sharing their bed and their bedroom. 

it sounds to me like you would need a room to yourself to relax and be alone to reset for the next days activities. I think it would be worth the extra money. 

Rent a house. It's cheaper and will have more rooms to accommodate all of those different needs. We stayed in an AirBnB property in FL (once upon a time) with DH/I, our two kids (paired up/twin beds), my mother and sister (also paired up/twin beds), father/stepmother, and uncle/aunt. A five bedroom house was perfect.

Edited by Sneezyone

If renting a house is possible, that's what I would do. 

You are saying that you would have multiple rooms with options 1 & 2, right? I'm not sure what you are comparing. A single king bed seems like you would need 3 rooms minimum, and that's with you and ds sharing. Are the choices three rooms, one suite and one room, or just the one suite? 

I would have my own room if I could possibly conjure up the money, including eating lots of beans and rice and sandwiches for the next month or two, lol. Either suite and one room, or multiple rooms, whatever is cheapest. 

I just selfish and really would like my own room as I go to bed earlier, get up earlier, want space to read, do my yoga, etc.

If I were absolutely, positively forced to share the suite, then I would have the rule that no one enters the half of the suite I'm staying between these times (working on the assumption that the cost is not being split among everyone equally). Get whatever you want out before then, including toothbrush and jammies so they don't wake you up to get ready for bed. That will give you some time every alone every evening. Then you get up when you wish, quietly get ready, and go down to the lobby to read and relax (if there is no living room area in the suite). 

But really, I would want my own room. 

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

Can you find an AirBnB?  3 or 4 bedroom house?

Is it a larger city?  Could you rent a timeshare off of Tugbb.com?  We are in one right now in Hilton Head.  2 bedroom for 7 nights, for $600.  No added taxes or fees.

Where we are going there are almost no airBnB places and they are super expensive.  This hotel is giving us a huge deal on rooms (less than 1/2 normal price) and it is walking distance to everything which is a big plus since I am the only driver.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KatieinMich said:

Suite for then 5 adult children and a private room for yourself. 

That would mean several have to share beds and bedrooms.  Are the married couple ok sharing a room with the sister and her friend? Is the daughter ok sharing a bed with her friend? Son would then sleep on the  sleeper sofa.

There  are other configurations that would work, but it depends on who is comfortable sharing their bed and their bedroom. 

it sounds to me like you would need a room to yourself to relax and be alone to reset for the next days activities. I think it would be worth the extra money. 

I can't really put dd and her friend in with the married ones but could put D's in there....even though married couple would like their own room.   Also very leery of putting ds in the same room with dd and her friend...

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

You take Room 1, with the king bed.

DD23 and her DH take room 2 since he needs the handicapped space.

The other 3 people get the suite with your DD24 and her 21yr old friend in the 2Q room and your DS in the 1 Q room.

You are on vacay.  Everyone should have completely comfortable sleeping arrangements while on vacation.  

This is likely the way we are going.  I am frugal (cheap as some friends say) and it seems hard to pay for 3 rooms when one suite (same price as rooms) would cover it......but my sanity is worth a lot too.

I think we will all be happier if we can spread out and have our space. After driving everyone, having to coordinate plans and meals, and doing some monitoring, the solitude of my own room sounds heavenly.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

This is likely the way we are going.  I am frugal (cheap as some friends say) and it seems hard to pay for 3 rooms when one suite (same price as rooms) would cover it......but my sanity is worth a lot too.

I think we will all be happier if we can spread out and have our space. After driving everyone, having to coordinate plans and meals, and doing some monitoring, the solitude of my own room sounds heavenly.  

Your sanity is definitely worth it.  Remember, stress kills.

50 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I also want to say that I understand there are special needs involved, but a married couple, especially couple newly embarking on this whole married thing....really should have the ability to speak to their own arrangements.  I understand that you are paying for everything and that the special needs involved complicate so much of this.   But, if they are a young married couple......the fact that they want their own room......that needs to be given a lot of weight.  If they are capable of experiencing married life, they need to be given the space to do so.  

Yes...that is why I am getting them their own room at least 3 of the nights....one handicapped room was reserved for my mother who is now not coming so they will get that .....need to see if it is available for the extra day as grandma's was coming in a day later.

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

As one frugal to a fault person to another....just get all the rooms.  I completely understand wanting to save.  But you are doing SO MUCH MORE work than everyone else on the trip.  And as long as the money is there....just use it to make this as much a vacay for you as you possibly can.  

NOW, I will say, if getting the extra rooms means skipping some other much desired activities or makes the difference between racking up credit card debt vs outright paying for it......I might have a different answer.  But I am presuming that you have the money for the extra rooms and are just feeling the pinch of .....'but, but, gah! it doesn't have to cost that much!'

No, it doesn't *have* to.  But just because something can be had for less money, that doesn't mean it should be had for less money.  Spend the money and enjoy the vacay.  

I can pay cash for the trip and extra rooms.  You are right, it is just the "ahhh.  We could do this cheaper" thing but due to covid restrictions we will be in our rooms more than in the general areas of the hotel like we typically are.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I can pay cash for the trip and extra rooms.  You are right, it is just the "ahhh.  We could do this cheaper" thing but due to covid restrictions we will be in our rooms more than in the general areas of the hotel like we typically are.

Oh than for sure do it .   That is huge.    And it sounds like you are going to be there a while, not just one night. 

• 2 weeks later...