Menu

Purchased cloth masks

Pen

In addition to homemade ones, with significant filtering, but a very homemade look, I got some masks from 

https://losangelesapparel.net/products/3-pack-cotton-mask

especially to fit my teen’s needs for looking okay in public / low embarrassment/ and other issues.  He used a plaid one today, and it seemed to work well.  He    Was apparently comfortable physically and psychologically 

These are simple masks, the type masks that probably give some protection to the other person more than protecting the wearer .  Since all people having to meet were masked, also did SDing, and were outdoors, it was probably very good.   

The old navy ones are a much better price, and great color packs where it looks like a look for everyone in family could probably be achieved fairly easily.  Also looks like two layers for all their masks . 

I don’t see specs about nose wire etc.— the LA Apparel ones do have nose wires, also all the way around head elastic which is often more comfortable than ear loops.  The patterned ones are two layers, though not thick layers or dense weaves, and the terrycloth knit just one layer.   They are available now if needing masks before summer. 

JCrew apparently had masks, but sold out.  They may be back sometime this summer. 

Theirs had filter pocket and nose wire. 

10 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I've been making some, but I also ordered this set. When you buy a set, they donate a set to essential workers. I haven't gotten my set yet, but it shipped out before the estimated week.
https://www.johnnywas.com/masks/face-mask-pack-of-5-multi.html

Oh, That’s so pretty!  My guy teen would not like the flowery look, but I would.  Maybe I’ll get a set plus feel I have helped an essential worker! 

I randomly found these when searching one day, and these are a couple of my daughters' favorites so far:

https://www.marinelayer.com/products/mask-for-personal-use?_pos=2&_sid=e91d66b28&_ss=r

I just realized that it doesn't show a picture, but they're navy blue and a soft jersey-knit material.  These don't loop behind the ears, but tie in back (4 ties).  So, they're not the type you can put on fast (it probably takes 30 seconds instead of 3).  Because they have a tie in each corner and material is super soft and flexible, they fit really snugly against the skin all around, and if you have any problems with loops behind the ears, it takes care of that.  (One of my dd's wears both glasses and hearing aids AND has very small ears, so these are perfect for her!)

• Like 1

These masks are locally made at a hosiery mill near me here in NC. Supposedly they're a doctor's design. You can purchase extra nose bridges and filters, or they have a pattern for making your own filters. Looks like they're now available in some Whole Foods and Ingles grocery stores in a few states.

ETA: They have them in various sizes. That's new since last week, when I first looked at the site.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

Dh bought some Disney ones for the DC’s and going back to campus (their school appears to be opening).  In part because of ear loops.  I have made stacks of tie one masks but earl oops might be handy and at this point I don’t feel like making them.  They are sitting out in the garage like everything we order until we need it......dc’s haven’t had them on yet but they look OK.  https://www.tomsguide.com/news/disney-launches-star-wars-and-marvel-face-masks-how-to-preorder-now

• Like 1

I guess JCrew just declared bankruptcy—so unless they restructure, they may not make more masks.  Too bad because theirs looked excellent with both nose area wire and filter pockets.  Maybe if they make it people will help them out with a bit of shopping.  I don’t know how much CV19 affected them though. I used to get a lot from them, but have not gotten anything in over a decade.

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

These masks are locally made at a hosiery mill near me here in NC. Supposedly they're a doctor's design. You can purchase extra nose bridges and filters, or they have a pattern for making your own filters. Looks like they're now available in some Whole Foods and Ingles grocery stores in a few states.

ETA: They have them in various sizes. That's new since last week, when I first looked at the site.

I've seen these advertised on my local/town FB page, but I couldn't find info about them. Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I love these masks so much: https://www.etsy.com/listing/801135201/cotton-jersey-with-long-elastic-double?ref=yr_purchases

They are soft, comfortable, and look good. The elastic ties (I have one with a toggle) make them easy on and easy off. 

These look like the ones I make. I've tried several designs but I found for me that this style gave the best and most comfortable fit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Do you know what they are made of?

(That is, cotton or polyester or nylon or ?) we have family allergic to polyester, but okay with nylon or cotton. 

9 minutes ago, Pen said:

Do you know what they are made of?

(That is, cotton or polyester or nylon or ?) we have family allergic to polyester, but okay with nylon or cotton. 

Polyester. This is their answer about why that instead of cotton --

While typical polyester does not filter as well as a comparable piece of cotton, Easy Masks are woven with a specific grade of polyester microfiber where each strand of yarn is comprised of over 140 individual filaments. This "microdenier polyester" coupled with the specific weave used in the mask body has extremely high surface area for good filtration that is similar to cotton, while still maintaining comfort and breathability. Polyester also does not absorb moisture like cotton, which provides additional comfort by helping sweat evaporate.

For improved filtration relative to a standard cotton mask, Easy Masks' most important benefit is its two-layer design that allows easy insertion of replaceable filtration inserts. You can purchase pre-cut nonwoven inserts specifically designed to filter 85% of all particles at 2 micrometers, and also can cut your own filtration inserts using our free template.

• Like 2