Menu

40 Years ago

Loowit

Mt. St. Helens erupted and my family was evacuated from our home.  DH and I were talking  about it today, and I was remembering that we had to wear masks to protect us from the ash from the volcano.  Now 40 years later, another natural disaster is here and we are back to wearing masks.

• Like 7
  • Sad 6

50 minutes ago, Loowit said:

Mt. St. Helens erupted and my family was evacuated from our home.  DH and I were talking  about it today, and I was remembering that we had to wear masks to protect us from the ash from the volcano.  Now 40 years later, another natural disaster is here and we are back to wearing masks.

I  understand some of your feelings.  I had a similar experience last year for the 40th anniversary of the accident at Three Mile Island.  We also evacuated (but we didn't wear masks). 😉

I was a small child at the time, but Mt. St. Helens is the very first news story that I remember watching on TV.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Loowit, was there a mask shortage?  I don't remember!  

I don't really remember. I know they had big tables of them a local stores, so I think there were plenty. I do remember I hated wearing them, but we had too if we wanted to go outside. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Loowit said:

There was an article in the local news about how they're afraid of the logjam on the lake failing - and that it could come down the toutle river valley.  So, even that mt isn't settled.  

20 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I remember ash raining down at my home in Northern California. I was seven, so the scope of distance was impossible to comprehend. 

a couple summer ago, we had ash (I have pictures of it on my son's car) and smoke from forest fires in eastern BC.  - so it came southwest.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

a couple summer ago, we had ash (I have pictures of it on my son's car) and smoke from forest fires in eastern BC.  - so it came southwest.

We’ve had smoke from California and northern Alberta fires here in coastal Maine! 

Edited by MEmama

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

@Loowit, I have always wondered if there was a story behind your choosing of your board name. Now I know! (Loowit is the traditional name for Mt. St. Helens.)

Yeah, it is from Mt. St. Helens.  I actually used it as my gaming name years ago, and it just kind of stuck.

57 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

There was an article in the local news about how they're afraid of the logjam on the lake failing - and that it could come down the toutle river valley.  So, even that mt isn't settled. 

There is also a sediment retention dam that was put on the Toutle river and if it went would flood the valley, likely including my parents and/or relatives homes.  The logjam doesn't worry me too much, but it is something that is always in the back of our minds.  Also, there was some activity in the mountain in 2004 where it was growing at a much faster rate and having small eruptions but it then calmed down again.