Menu

What do you put on really small kitchen shelves?

katilac

I have kitchen shelves at the end of my cabinets that are like 6" deep and wide and 9" tall. Do you store anything practical on your small shelves? 

Currently I have: hot sauce; spices/salt; and measuring cups. That still leaves 3 lil shelves, though. What else? 

• Like 2

I had little shelves like that that were triangular shaped on the corners of two cabinets. I had a couple of decorative things there that were my mother's -- a pink glass candy dish shaped like a hen, and a small wooden house (she used to collect wooden houses), but it was hard to decide what else to use that space for. I put a sugar bowl and matching creamer on one shelf and my gravy boat on another.  I found a cute tea cup and saucer set that I used on another shelf; these were decorative (tiny, doll sized), but you could put usable mugs or cups there instead. The most practical thing I kept there was a small decorative bowl in which I kept a Sharpie and freezer tape, which I used to label food items before freezing.

I also have a clippy recipe holder stand thingy that would have been good to keep there ( though I didn't). The kind that holds one recipe card for you while you are cooking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh I hate those shelves- here’s whats on mine.

decorative rooster

coaster, Easter card, Foam Alive 

bubbles, silly putty, a little reindeer (? I have no idea why), a mini travel salad dressing, & 3 jars of orbeez. I put random LEGO pieces up there too when I find them in the kitchen, lol.

* I think I’m going to put salt & pepper and that kind of stuff there- great idea!!

CF094F08-EA2B-4145-AD3C-AE5BAA70D5C0.jpeg

Edited by Hilltopmom
Forgot photo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Storygirl said:

I also have a clippy recipe holder stand thingy that would have been good to keep there ( though I didn't). The kind that holds one recipe card for you while you are cooking.

That would be a great idea, if only I weren't too short for it to be useful 😂

1 hour ago, Hilltopmom said:

bubbles, silly putty, a little reindeer (? I have no idea why), a mini travel salad dressing, & 3 jars of orbeez. I put random LEGO pieces up there too when I find them in the kitchen, lol.

Ha, I had silly putty and such up there back in the day too. I think you have the *exact* shelves I do, just a different color. Yours look taller, though. 

I'll probably resign myself to the two top ones not being that useful (see note re shortness above), but I for sure want at least one more to be useful. My kitchen has a lot of Disney stuff, and my godmother gave me a really nice Snow White salt and pepper set from her collection - that looks really good and fitting, I'll leave that for sure. Then I might put my Groot wireless speaker, which is super cute but terrible quality, on the other top shelf. I could probably fit a couple of unopened hot sauce bottles behind it for a bit of usefulness. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Canned goods?

Hmm, it's a really small shelf, but I could maybe put the oddball stuff that is only one can each (pineapple rings, pumpkin puree). The oddball things are actually kind of annoying on the regular big shelf, because either they take up more room than needed so you can see them, or you can't see them! 

1 hour ago, katilac said:

My kitchen has a lot of Disney stuff

I have a collection of the 7 Dwarves I picked up at Magic Kingdom lining a little shelf over baby babywashing sink in my kitchen. :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Succulents or air plants so you don’t have to reach up there often to water?

Ooo, nice suggestion! Walmart had so many cute ones this spring. I sprang for a couple. They're like $3 each, an inexpensive indulgence. I did manage to kill an air plant. 

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Then I might put my Groot wireless speaker, which is super cute but terrible quality, on the other top shelf. I could probably fit a couple of unopened hot sauce bottles behind it for a bit of usefulness. 

Yes to music speakers! I have one on top of a cabinet. So I did build in some open shelves, and I sized them to canning jars. Then the containers are all the same to look tidy but I can throw in whatever I want (beans, sugar, whatever). Actual usefulness depends on location. I'm not sure I would keep random foods there if it's not a prep area. I would go with pictures, something decorative. I have some glass plates, so I keep those out. People have given me Fenton/milk glass over the years, so I have that. Roosters. You could go to Hobby Lobby when they're open again and find decorative junk. Won't be as great as Dwarves, but yeah. I have a thing for roosters, so when a spot opens up I just buy more roosters.

Is it an area you could change out seasonally? Candy jar? There's nothing more enticing than clear glass with wrapped candies...

• Like 2

Napkins in an upright napkin holder? Coasters? Bread pans? Travel mug (especially if pretty). 

My tiny shelves are not as narrow and are behind a door--I keep bread pans, my hand mixer, a cookie press, and all my small/odd sized baking dishes on those shelves.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Yes to music speakers!

<snip> You could go to Hobby Lobby when they're open again and find decorative junk.  

Is it an area you could change out seasonally? Candy jar? There's nothing more enticing than clear glass with wrapped candies...

Well, Groot won't actually be used as a music speaker, he sounds terrible. He will sit on the shelf and look cute, and Alexa will play music through the Echo Dot. 

I definitely do not need to find decorative junk, I have quite enough! 😄  I am on a 'use all the space' kick.  

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

Coasters?  

Ooh, coasters might work. I don't keep many out, because I am drinking out of a coffee mug or a Yeti tumbler, but when I put them completely away I forget where they are. And I have even have Disney ones. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, emba56 said:

If you have any small cookbooks they might fit? I have a couple that are themed - one of biscotti recipes and one of scones, that might fit, then you could bookend them  with some kind of Knick knack.

I don't, but now I want biscotti. 

• Like 1

I put decorative objects on there. I also (usually) change the decorations for major holidays. I do have plenty of cabinet space for necessities, though. 

In my occasional feng shui moments, I have arranged objects on there specifically in feng shui manner, but mostly I just find feng shui completely contradictory and confusing! 😄 

• Haha 1

I'd put pretty things -- bamboo salt cellar, pretty pepper mill, possibly oils or vinegars if they were in attractive bottles. Maybe you could put attractive jarred jams, apple butter, etc. If they're tall enough, you could put wine bottles there up right, either unopened bottles or the half-drunk-now-cooking-wine bottles that I keep around on the counter. Other ideas are attractive water pitchers or vases. Or a tea pot. 

On a shelf like that in my brother's kitchen, I put an antique family wooden recipe box that has a stack of my dad's old recipe cards (who died 20 years ago) in it. It's really sweet and appropriate. Sort of a Kon Marie thing where you actually display and enjoy a sentimental object. 

• Thanks 1