Menu

School me on having a puppy

DawnM

Ok, it is a done deal.  We are getting a puppy in a couple of weeks. 

I just realized that we have never had a puppy puppy.  We have always gotten our dogs at 9 months-2 years old, already potty trained, etc.....

What do I need?

Crate (do I get a smaller crate and upgrade or can I get a full sized crate for how big he will get?)

Puppy Pads?

Something for him to sleep with?  What?

Toys?  Teething anything????

I saw online someone mentioned formula for dogs......is that something I need?

I know I can look all this up and I am doing that, but thought I would ask some of you who are more experience with getting puppies and tell me what I need.

We are very excited.  

What kind of puppy? Breed/size makes some difference in what you will need.

Formula -- I would certainly hope not. If you're getting a puppy anywhere remotely young enough to even think of needing formula that's a breeder you need to run far, far away from. Fast.

My basic piece of advice--It will be 1000 times more work than you imagine. Be prepared for that before you commit. If you can't honestly, sincerely, devoutly commit to it then don't get a puppy.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

What kind of puppy? Breed/size makes some difference in what you will need.

Formula -- I would certainly hope not. If you're getting a puppy anywhere remotely young enough to even think of needing formula that's a breeder you need to run far, far away from. Fast.

My basic piece of advice--It will be 1000 times more work than you imagine. Be prepared for that before you commit. If you can't honestly, sincerely, devoutly commit to it then don't get a puppy.

Ok, the video I watched was saying something about food soaking in formula.

We are committed.  That isn't the problem.  I just haven't ever had a brand new puppy before.  

49 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Ok, it is a done deal.  We are getting a puppy in a couple of weeks. 

I just realized that we have never had a puppy puppy.  We have always gotten our dogs at 9 months-2 years old, already potty trained, etc.....

What do I need?

Crate (do I get a smaller crate and upgrade or can I get a full sized crate for how big he will get?)

Puppy Pads?

Something for him to sleep with?  What?

Toys?  Teething anything????

I saw online someone mentioned formula for dogs......is that something I need?

I know I can look all this up and I am doing that, but thought I would ask some of you who are more experience with getting puppies and tell me what I need.

We are very excited.  

Obedience classes are very helpful, but these aren't going to be possible now, so you could look into video lessons with a trainer for support during the puppy phase. It is a very challenging time, and also very important for setting the foundation for a happy lifestyle for years to come with this dog.

Crate - YES. You and puppy both need a place of peace. Learn how to use it correctly. It can backfire and become a hindrance to peace if you use it as punishment.

What are puppy pads? Are these like paper training or paper when you can't get the puppy outside?  - Anything on the ground will be chewed up by the puppy. That includes paper for training, bedding, socks, shoes, clothing, etc.

Bedding - we never use it until the dog is 100% safe from chewing. Otherwise it is a bad source of potential obstruction in your dog and can cause death if too much bits of blanket/material is eaten.

Toys - YES. Get safe chew toys that can sustain the chewing of the size of your dog. Also know that any toy can break, so they should be used under supervision unless you want to risk injuries or obstructions in your puppy.

Liquid in food - We added water to the kibble. Though some puppies and dog devour their food so fast that they vomit. Putting toys into the food ball can help slow down the eating, or holding back some food for later (and also use the food as treats when training) can help.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

1) Go ahead and buy a couple books on puppy raising! Look for a recent publication date (within 5-10 years) to ensure it will focus on modern positive methods. You're looking at raising an infant vs an 8 year old . . . (based on your prior experiences with a more mature new dog). You need a new skill set! Get some books!

2) You can get a crate with a divider panel that is both movable and removable. This allows the crate to create a small enough space initially to help with potty training, but still be useful when your pup is an adult. 

3) A "play pen" is also helpful to coop up the pup in a smaller area when you can't completely supervise.

4) Make your first vet appointment for the first couple days of ownership (no later). DO NOT SKIMP on wellness care for puppies. Puppies are extremely vulnerable to parvovirus and you can NOT skimp on wellness visits.

5) A "waist leash" is handy for "tomato staking" your pup during the first weeks of potty training. If you can go "all in" on potty training for 2-3 weeks, you'll likely be 90% there within those 3 weeks. If you don't go "all in," it'll take a lot longer. 

6) Expect to spend a LOT of time taking your pup outside to potty! 

7) REWARD REWARD REWARD

CONGRATS!!! Puppies are the best!! 

• Like 1

The thing that seems to take a lot of people by surprise is how often little puppies go to the bathroom. Plan on taking the puppy outside multiple times per hour. It will also need to go out during the night, so expect at least a few weeks of interrupted sleep.

• Like 5

Two crates can be useful if you have an upstairs and downstairs not to have to carry crate up and down unless it is very small dog/ crate

We use full size crates even for puppies and block off the excess space if need be. Some crates have metal separation panel, but even if doesn’t a box or something can be used.

• Like 3

All I have to say is I won't do it again.  Actually right now would be a perfect time.  We fostered one for bit and we picked a horrible time to do it.  But you have 5 adults or old enough kids to really share all the work.  My DS would like to get a puppy right now because we have all this time and our dog is older.    

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pen said:

Two crates can be useful if you have an upstairs and downstairs not to have to carry crate up and down unless it is very small dog/ crate

We use full size crates even for puppies and block off the excess space if need be. Some crates have metal separation panel, but even if doesn’t a box or something can be used.

LOL!!

I have a whopping 11 pound foster here right now. And I have two crates set up--one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Both on the main level of our house. The two crates are maybe 25 yards from each other.

Signed,

Lazy person who has enough crates stashed in the attic to enable her laziness 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

We are committed.  That isn't the problem.  I just haven't ever had a brand new puppy before.  

Expect a 12 - 18 month commitment of high maintenance puppy time. It is well worth the effort to lay a strong foundation during this time, because you have to live with the dog for another 10+ years. Think about the kind of behaviours in a dog you wish to have, and work very hard on being consistent to achieve these behaviours.

Puppies learn so quickly and they are learning non-stop. The hardest part of training is keeping the humans consistent in their training behaviour. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Selkie said:

The thing that seems to take a lot of people by surprise is how often little puppies go to the bathroom. Plan on taking the puppy outside multiple times per hour. It will also need to go out during the night, so expect at least a few weeks of interrupted sleep.

Right now my boys are staying up until 2 or 3am and DH just told me NOT to get them on a regular schedule so they can do midnight-2am potty breaks with the puppy for the first couple of months!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Find out what his current (at the time you get him) potty schedule is if he has one.  I didn’t do that with any of our puppies, but wish I had, because I think our first two (at about 8 and 12 weeks old) were almost fully housebroken already. I was only out with them the first 2 or 3 nights, and it really seemed more like them adjusting to a new place and new people than potty needs. I don’t remember any accidents except that car ride home. 🤢 (They came home together from a rescue.)
I took them out every hour the first day during the day, 2 hours the second, and we were down to a few times a day within the first week. If I had known their routine, I probably could have gotten right to it.

Our tiny guy is a whole other story that wouldn’t be helpful to share, lol.

• Like 1