Menu

Another CV-19 WWYD - vacation

lauraw4321

As I've said before, I'm in Seattle, which some folks have referred to as the "Wuhan" of the US. Our schools are shut down for 6 weeks, major employers have their folks working from home, shelves are bare, etc.

We have a trip booked to Hawaii the first week of April (what was our Spring Break). Assuming (optimistically) that we will be allowed to go to HI, is it unethical for us to do so, even if we are healthy? It's possible (likely) we will have CV-19 or be carriers of it. We will social distance as much as we can while there, but undoubtedly will have some social contact. Would you cancel? It makes the disruption even harder to handle when there isn't something to look forward to, which is the main reason I've resisted so far.

• Like 1

I’m for cancelling. Hawaii will still be there in the fall or in 2021. I would be hugely disappointed but it is just not worth potentially becoming a vector. 

Im sorry. 

• Like 1

I would cancel for a number of reasons. Mainly --

I wouldn't want to be a carrier and make numerous others sick.

I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself with the possibility of illness hanging over me. I can't imagine dealing with Covid 19 away from my home. What if one of us needed to be hospitalized for two or three weeks, or couldn't fly back due to being infected? What kind of financial hit would it cause us to have to pay for a hotel and meals out for several weeks?

I wouldn't enjoy myself because I'd be worried about travel issues/lock downs making it difficult or impossible to get back home.

I am usually all in for a bargain. I flew on one the first few days of restored air travel after 911. Paid around $20 for a first class r/t ticket. Just looked up some of the current refundable fares (booked directly with airlines): $60 r/t from So.Cal to New Orleans next weekend; $225 r/t  to D.C. Memorial Day.  So tempting. But, just not have been able to pull the trigger. So Cal has cases, but not a hotbed yet.  I worry about being confined on that plane for hours, and the 10,000 other travelers I will come in contact with at airport. But just maybe I will.

My big question would be:

If you go and get stuck there for 2-4 weeks - can you handle that financially and emotionally? If not, I wouldn’t go. 

I mean when someone can’t fly out - that doesn’t mean they get a free extended vacation. The hotel will keep charging and they will still have to buy food and they will still need stuff like their insulin or whatever.   They won’t be able to get back to work or to family that might need them at home.

I would cancel.  It's a six hour flight.   I understand though.   2dd was supposed to be going to a wedding in Switzerland in May, and I was going to TX to help her dh with the baby.  Really looking forward to it too. We're still up in the air about what we'll do.

what if you did something a bit closer to home that you more easily distance from?  clipper to Victoria and watch the pickle boats do their dance on a sunday morning?