Menu

GPS app?

Night Elf

Google maps here. 

Although I might re-think that. Recently GoogleMapLady told me in an annoying way the speed limit on the road I was travelling. Which was different than I was going. Really, you might think Google was spying on me. 

Edited by Bambam

Waze but with caveats. 

Travel with a GPS can be difficult in the West Bank; Waze is an Israeli company and won't give turn-by-turn directions, and Google isn't always available. There's also a histrionic warning of danger reminiscent of the Robot in Lost in Space whenever you cross the border into the West Bank. 

Google maps, primarily.  I find it easy to use. Just spend some time figuring out where everything is.  I like how it gives me the zoomed out, "big picture" of the route first, then allows me to ask for step by step directions if I want them, and I can click the left arrow again to exit them if I don't need them.  It shows traffic based solely on the speed of the cars using the app.

When I'm concerned about traffic or other extreme driving conditions, I'll also look at Waze. I haven't spent as much time there, so I'm not comfortable using. I don't like how it just jumps in with the step by step directions without first giving me the overall route. It makes me nervous to just follow it before I know it's indeed taking me where I want to go. I have found that I can click in and learn those things, but it's not as comfortable for me as google maps is.  It's good for road conditions and traffic, though, because people can upload real time information. I haven't figured out how all that works yet, but I plan to do so. I know many smart folks who love Waze, so I want to give it a fair shake.

Apple Map has awesome 3D imaging, but it has frequently sent me down blocked streets, or the wrong way on a one-way street, other problem routes of that sort. Their data base is not as detailed as googles, I guess. 

• Like 1

I tried Waze by itself, then with Google to compare them. I couldn't figure Waze out. It wasn't intuitive for me and took too much time to look at. That said, there are some things I wish Google had. Or maybe it has, I just couldn't find them. I would like to be able to see on the app which cities I'm travelling through or are nearby and what the distance between cities is (without adding a stop). I would also like to be able to add multiple stops (which I can do), but also eliminate more than just the upcoming one. I googled that last one and Google couldn't tell me if it was possible. In fact, on the Google Maps forum (or customer service FAQ's), someone asked that same question and Google answered it by telling the person how to eliminate their history. Totally not what they (or I) were looking for. I have an Android phone, so maybe it's different on an Apple phone. 

I have had some frustrations with Google Maps. Sometimes the directions are inaccurate, but if you close the app, then reopen it and input the same info in, it will correct itself. We noticed that when we used Maps with 2 different Android phones in the same car and received different directions to the same location. One took us directly to our destination and the other took us on a very roundabout backwoods route. Sometimes it will take you the wonkiest way possible, using small back roads that look like they don't go anywhere (and sometimes they don't!). Sometimes it takes us in circles, right back to our starting point. I'm with the pp who said she likes to see the entire route planned out before I head out so I know where I'm going before I start.

Edited by wilrunner