Menu

You will not believe this:

Ellie! Is that your house, or did you happen on those pictures? Incredible.

But I keep thinking that now all that good honey has to have been ruined by that agent of the bees' destruction....

Someone sent this to Mr. Ellie in an e-mail. I found the blog where it was posted.

I am terrified of bees and actually gasped at the pictures of the bees and the hive about did me in. Edit this to add before you all this I am in an idiot LOL I feel bad the honey bees died and would have loved to see them relocated. It was pretty scary when all the honey bees were dying off last year and to see this is a shame. I don't mind bees as long as they aren't near me LOL.

Edited by Quiver0f10

my dh is a hobbiest beekeeper. Those pictures would have made him cry and swear. In most states it is illegal to knowingly destroy a hive of honeybees. Without honeybees we would starve, as they polinate most agricultural crops, in addition to wild flowers (and, yes, some weeds). Honeybees are easily distinguised from wasps and hornets. What horrible, wasteful shame to see a feral hive destroyed, in this age when feral hives are very few and far between. Here are some facts from http://honeybeenet.gsfc.nasa.gov/Honeybees.htm

"Honey bees, or the western honey bee in particular, is known scientifically as Apis mellifera. Honey bees play a vital role in our lives. Seed plants produce fruit after pollinators such as bees and butterflies pollinate them by inadvertently transporting pollen from male to female flower parts. It is estimated that three-quarters of flowering plants require pollinators in order to produce fruit. Many agricultural crops, on the order of $14 billion dollars worth, depend upon domesticated bee hives to help with pollination, and some, such as almonds, are 100% dependent upon the honey bee for pollination. In a role more familiar to most, honey bees also collect and concentrate nectar in the production of honey.

The honey bee is a very social insect. Honey bees live in hives within a very structured social order. Each hive contains one queen, a few hundred drones, or male bees, and the worker bees, all female. Wild (feral) hives will contain up to 20,000 bees, while managed bees can live in colonies of up to 80,000 bees. The sole purpose of drone bees are to mate with the queen, and her sole purpose is to produce eggs. The queen lives 2 to 5 years, whereas the drones live only about 8 weeks. All housekeeping tasks in the hive are performed by the female worker bees, who constitute the majority of the hive. Most worker bees live about 6 weeks, except for those born in the late fall, who will live until the following spring. Worker bees have a barbed stinger that rips out of their abdomen upon use, which kills them and thus can be used only once. The queen's stinger is not barbed, therefore she does not die when she stings a rival. "

I guess they thought it was so amazing that the whole story was cool. I was not amused. I was very, very, upset about this! :mad:

Hopefully I will get less forwards in the future, because I let my feelings be known. I'm just so tired of receiving forwards that are ignorant, untrue, political, whatever, that I'm just not as gracious as I used to be.

~Lisa

Ellie! Is that your house, or did you happen on those pictures? Incredible.

But I keep thinking that now all that good honey has to have been ruined by that agent of the bees' destruction....

I thought the same thing. All that good honey - gone! And, it is very sad that now all of those honey *bees* are gone, too. :sad:

I agree, but to be fair, they probably had no idea that was under there. He probably thought there were just a few bees.

I agree with this. Based on the text, they had no idea what they were dealing with. It's easy to talk relocation after the fact, but the people who did this, didn't want to lift the BBQ cover, and I sorta agree with them. I wouldn't want to lift it either! They knew bees were under there, just not how many or what kind.

Yes, it's a shame, but I don't think it was *planned*

Given the owner is laughing about killing the bees, and then posting the results of their stupid and irresponsible acts on the internet in self-congratulatory military terminology, I don't believe they deserve any benefits of the doubt.

A person has a duty to know what they are dealing with before unleashing pesticides--especially against bees, which are facing drastic colony collapses. This is a reckless and irresponsible way to deal with bees. There is no excuse for this kind of act.

I agree with this. Based on the text, they had no idea what they were dealing with. It's easy to talk relocation after the fact, but the people who did this, didn't want to lift the BBQ cover, and I sorta agree with them. I wouldn't want to lift it either! They knew bees were under there, just not how many or what kind.

Yes, it's a shame, but I don't think it was *planned*

I wouldn't even presume they knew it was bees. Could have been some wasps. Which I am having a terrible time with IN THE HOUSE even right now.

Aside from that, I happen to be allergic to bees thank you very much and I sure as heck would not have gone inspecting for details either! Nope. I'd have probably done the same and then been sad at the much larger than expected result.

If I'd known in advance the situation, I'd have called a couple numbers to see what could be done and if I could afford to have it done and if it could be done in a timely manner (say w/i a week).

If I felt I had to wait too long or couldn't afford it - the end might have been the same, but it wouldn't have been my first choice IF I knew there was a hive there.

OH OH OH OH OH OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!

I would've died. Simply died. Oh my word.

I am really creeped out right now!!!! ACK!!!

OK. I need to apologize. I wasn't even thinking about the fact that they were honey bees and harmless and this guy's an idiot. I was just amazed at the sheer number of bees and the size of it all.

Edited by DB in NJ
because I'm an idiot who panicked!!

How anyone that pushed past him or jostled emergency workers trying to save his life could ever get any pleasure out of anything they purchased that day. How could they?

Wrong thread, dear. :) You want to post this in the other thread about the WalMart worker.

And I think they ended up closing the store for that day after they kicked all the customers out. I just hope they identified the guilty ones and arrested them all!

My friend and I were just talking about bees yesterday. She was buying animals from that Heifer site. Her daughter is very into bees, so they looked at that. She was very surprised to find out that bees actually go to struggling family farms in the USA . We both thought they only did overseas locations and didn't know they did anything in the states.

So they bought bees for stateside farmers for christmas presents. And it was only about $30 she said.